• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tango 51 - Range Update

Re: Tango 51 - First time at the Range.... WOW!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonewolf&#8207;</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Everyone has an opinion as do I. I like <span style="text-decoration: underline">military</span> type rifles that are built to military standards because their [sic] is a reason for it. I don't particularily care for benchrest rifles because they have to be babied. Some like them some don't. Tac-Ops rifles kinda gives you the best of both worlds. An extremely accurate rifle with BR cability. Most would agree on that. If I had one thing negative to say about the rifle is that it's to damn good looking. Tac-Ops put's extra time making sure the rifle is top notch. I have read that over and over again. It's a decision proccess someone has to make depending on what they desire.

Take care brother;
Lw
</div></div>

It makes sense that you would not want a benchrest rifle. Let's break down what a bench rest rifle is:
1) Stock - benchrest rifles are designed to ride bags and be shot free recoil. There is no cheek weld on a BR rifle. There are no studs for attaching a sling because BR rifles are not meant to be shot with a sling. Look at the ergonomics of a benchrest stock and it is very different from a tactical stock for a reason.

2) Action - a BR rifle will be a single shot (the vast majority of the time). Each cartridge is hand-fed into the rifle. You don't want this in a tactical rifle for obvious reasons. The action is typically glued in to maximize accuracy. Gluing in supposedly minimizes stress even more so than bedding. You don't want a glued in action on a tactical rifle because things break in the field and the rifle will likely need to be serviced.

3) Chambering - a BR rifle is chambered to less than SAAMI specs. Importantly, BR necks are so tight that they will not feed factory ammo. This minimizes the stress on the brass... but not practical for a field rifle.

4) Trigger - BR trigger pulls are measured in ounces. Jewel is preferred in the BR crowd. Jewels are also used in a lot of tactical rifles, though the big complaint is that they get gunked up in the field. Tactical rifles typically are set anywhere from 2 to 5 pounds. This prevents misfires. I have used a BR trigger pull in the field before and misfired without touching the trigger. Oops. 2 - 3 pounds is a pretty good min.

5) Optics - BR guns typically have high powered optics (20X+) that do not have subtended reticles. They like SFP because they want a relatively fine reticle at all magnifications. Fine adjustments don't work in the field, because it take a lot more clicks to dial the dope and the additional precision (about .125" @ 100 yds) doesn't really net you much.

I would not say that a Tac Ops gives you benchrest capability. As you can see from above, a Tac Ops would be wholly unsuited for BR. The only comparison between a Tac Ops and a benchrest gun is that it is extremely accurate and extremely well made.

Could you elaborate on what a <span style="text-decoration: underline">military</span> type rifle is and what the military standards are, so that I can better understand that? "Doesn't have to be babied" seems to be a criterion, but what specs go along with that criterion? How is a military tactical rifle different than other tactical rifles? I can think of a few things, but I would like to hear your point of view. You have obviously put a lot of thought into in spec'ing out a build, so I am curious.

Thanks!

Hello Guys,
Lonewolf, I never said you said you daughter was using a Tac Ops to shoot those groups. I said that if you daughter was using a Tac ops rifle , I can understand why she is shooting so well!

This thread has gotten off track due to Lonewolf. I’m just and ordinary Joe who is proud of his new Tactical Operations Tango 51 and wanted to share my joy with others. I don’t shoot competitive and by no means consider myself a great shot. I wanted to post pictures of how well I’m able to shoot and discuss with others the AWSOME weapons that Tac Ops builds. Some people like “Lonewolf” need to act like _______! (You fill in the blank with what you want to). Lonewolf I’m not here to call people out and certainly not going to call someone a pussie for shooting three shot groups. Maybe you should shut up and just buy a Tac Ops rifle and go shoot.

Sorry Lowlight for posting three shot groups. I should have read your requirements. Maybe you should tell Lonewolf to not get his "Panties" in such a bunch!Most people are here to have fun and calling people "Pussies" is pretty lame...

Just my thoughts!
Keefer

So LW, let's summarize here;

First you thought the rifle was a cadillac and not a 4x4.
Then 3 shot groups weren't good enough for you and you wanted 5.
Then 5 shot wasn't good enough for you nor was 100yds and wanted off-hand at 500yds in 5 shot groups.
Then you think it's a BR rifle (kinda) but not a BR rifle and the Tango is just too pretty.

You've gone from talking about the rifle, to shooting skills (nothing to do with the rifle) back to the rifle and nowhere have you gone anywhere near an actual point.

Do you have one? If I had to guess, you seem to be trying to insinuate that a TacOps rifle is some kind of trade-off between good looks and precision and field ruggedness. It's not, you've been told it's not, by more than one person and by people who've been behind these rifles and have owned them for long periods in both personal and professional capacities and yet that doesn't seem enough for you.

What happened to you calling Mike? You said you were about to call him, that you had just one more question before you would.

You're starting to be seen as either a troll or someone's patsy.

All the above aside, be safe in Iraq and thank you for your service.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D Keefer Wetzler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello Guys,
Lonewolf, I never said you said you daughter was using a Tac Ops to shoot those groups. I said that if you daughter was using a Tac ops rifle , I can understand why she is shooting so well!

This thread has gotten off track due to Lonewolf. I’m just and ordinary Joe who is proud of his new Tactical Operations Tango 51 and wanted to share my joy with others. I don’t shoot competitive and by no means consider myself a great shot. I wanted to post pictures of how well I’m able to shoot and discuss with others the AWSOME weapons that Tac Ops builds. Some people like “Lonewolf” need to act like _______! (You fill in the blank with what you want to). Lonewolf I’m not here to call people out and certainly not going to call someone a pussie for shooting three shot groups. Maybe you should shut up and just buy a Tac Ops rifle and go shoot.

Sorry Lowlight for posting three shot groups. I should have read your requirements. Maybe you should tell Lonewolf to not get his "Panties" in such a bunch!Most people are here to have fun and calling people "Pussies" is pretty lame...

Just my thoughts!
Keefer
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So LW, let's summarize here;

First you thought the rifle was a cadillac and not a 4x4.
Then 3 shot groups weren't good enough for you and you wanted 5.
Then 5 shot wasn't good enough for you nor was 100yds and wanted off-hand at 500yds in 5 shot groups.
Then you think it's a BR rifle (kinda) but not a BR rifle and the Tango is just too pretty.

You've gone from talking about the rifle, to shooting skills (nothing to do with the rifle) back to the rifle and nowhere have you gone anywhere near an actual point.

Do you have one? If I had to guess, you seem to be trying to insinuate that a TacOps rifle is some kind of trade-off between good looks and precision and field ruggedness. It's not, you've been told it's not, by more than one person and by people who've been behind these rifles and have owned them for long periods in both personal and professional capacities and yet that doesn't seem enough for you.

What happened to you calling Mike? You said you were about to call him, that you had just one more question before you would.

You're starting to be seen as either a troll or someone's patsy.

All the above aside, be safe in Iraq and thank you for your service.

</div></div>

Mike said he is willing to make me a .338. I said I would give him a call after I got some shit done. <-- I am not done. You act as if I said I was going to call him right away. That's all <span style="text-decoration: underline">old</span> news anyways. I am talking to LC here at the Hide, and having a .375 completed first. Maybe Mike can build a .375 to, I don't know.

As for this post being off track, your the one that laid the dynamite down. It went off track the very moment the 5x shot group rule was broken. And as far as my opinion with 3x shot groups. It stands fast. 3x shot groups are for pussies. But that's my opinion, so stop being such crybabies about it. Again; regardless of my opinion or others opinion's, follow the simple rules and try reading them next time before you post; not afterwards.

And I will also like to make clear that at no point, did I say 5x shot groups were not good enough EH, you little fuck'n pansy. So making assumptions on my behalf about the 5x shot groups is a fail on your part.

As far as thanking me for my service; save it. If you want to talk about this some more; show up in the shout box sometime.

Lw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonewolf&#8207;</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 3x shot groups are for pussies. But that's my opinion, so stop being such crybabies about it.

EH, you little fuck'n pansy. </div></div>

You are so articulate and argue your point so well. I wonder if you talk to people like that face to face or just on the internet?

Re: Tango 51 - Range Update

Whatever. Cheers to the good shooting and nice rifle.

Lw

Lonewolf, which military rifle's are you talking about that can shoot 15" 5 shot groups @ 500 off hand?
Thanks..

I am getting time off for keeping this drama going and continue to ruin a thread, which will now be locked.

Let's see if you guys can quit with the personal attacks and keep these topics on track.

If you turn any topic into an flame war, all parties will be banned and the topics will be locked.

Thanks LL and for my part in the name-calling I'm sorry to all concerned.

Keefer, there's a drill on the Hide about taking 10 or 20 half-inch target dots at a 100yds with the dots placed in a 'non-orderly' manner. It'd be interesting to see the Tango used for accurate shot placement seeing as we've seen it for groups many times already. What do you think, you up for it? That and some off-hand drills will be some of the main drills I'll work on when mine comes in.

Good point, EH. And I will also point out that 5-shot groups are the law of the land here at SH. If 3 shots is the gun and 5 shots is the shooter, then shoot better.

The Hide should be about precision shooting, not just precision gear (thought it is a lot of fun to drool about precision gear... and I am guilty as charged).

Sorry we got off track and it is unfortunate that most threads about Tac Ops seem to go that way. Of course, when people see the accuracy a Tac Ops can get with factory match ammo, there are a few common reactions:
1) Disbelief
2) Is that kind of accuracy really usable?
3) What's the catch? We must be trading something off for that accuracy.

I think enough reputable sources have put their hands on these guns now that the disbelief is unfounded.

As for usable accuracy, that is up to the purchaser. A lot of people on this forum spend a lot of money in the hopes of purchasing a more accurate stick. For me personally, I want the weakest link in the accuracy chain (Shooter->Ammo->Gun) to be me and not my rifle. But there is money to be saved in being better than your equipment. I can't fault someone for saying "this is all I need."

And finally for the trade offs, I reserve judgment. There are plenty of these in use as duty weapons. I would think that if there were major issues, we would have heard about them from somewhere. At the very least, we know that LA's Special Enforcement Bureau (that includes the SWAT Team) uses them. For me, at least, that is going to cover my needs for ruggedness. For others... your best bet is to talk to Mike. He is a smart guy and can tell you what he does and why he does it that way.

As far as whats the trade off, I talked with mike a few weeks back about having a stick built and he told me that he gives his guns a lifetime warranty on everything except shooting the barrel out. So if he's willing to put that kind of back up on these things they can't be having too much wear out on them or not hold up

Trey, I think people are more concerned about tight tolerances causing difficulty chambering rounds in the field when in contact with grunge or other such "temporary" issues that may arise. If there were issues such as these, I don't think Mike would have a lot of work.

As for the warranty... no doubt, Mike R stands behind it. One of the main reasons I ended up buying a suppressor from Mike is that he will own it. If I have an issue, he did the threading and he built the can, so he will back it up 100%. I am not worried about a baffle strike because the baffles were a bit off or the thread job is out of alignment or loose and causes the can to back out. This is a pretty big consideration.