• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Target Buck (DOWN! w/pics)

kyabrams66

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2004
Richmond, Kentucky
cf091809_169.jpg

cf091809_228.jpg

cf091809_051.jpg

This is the one I'm trying to air out this fall. Last year his right beam was broken off just past the g3.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
brokebeam_002.jpg

brokebeam_005.jpg

This morning was the morning. I had hunted this guy hard and really wanted to take him with a bow but it wasn’t meant to be. He showed himself at 715 this am, the second day of modern gun, following a hot doe and dropped in his tracks at 10 yds with the help of a Barnes 168 gr TSX and 45 gr Varget. Life is good today.

Re: Target Buck

Good buck bro, he should score well. Looks very healthy, doesn't look very old though he's pretty lean. Excellent genetics. If you are fortunate enough to take him I'd be interested in his age.

Thursday is opening day bow here. Hope I have the same vision through my peep sight! Hopefully not the one in that last picture. It has adapted some type of self defense laser eye glare!

I believe he's 4.5 and with those long brows and good tine length all the way around I'm thinking he should bust 150". Feel free to add your target buck to this post.

I think he's 150 class easy, it's a shame you can't let him get another year old, more mass and beam length would put him over the top!!!

But depending on where you're hunting I don't think I'd let him get away at the chance this year!! lol

i doubt he is 4 1/2... i bet he is 3 1/2 due to his slinder rear and thiner neck. i just figured 154 without the spread. i would say you have that beat all to pieces. nice buck.

edit... i just looked at the last 2 pics... he might be 4 1/2. it is tought to say. poas more pics if you get them. if he is only 3 1/2 you have a helluva geen pool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NannySlayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i doubt he is 4 1/2... i bet he is 3 1/2 due to his slinder rear and thiner neck. i just figured 154 without the spread. i would say you have that beat all to pieces. nice buck.

edit... i just looked at the last 2 pics... he might be 4 1/2. it is tought to say. poas more pics if you get them. if he is only 3 1/2 you have a helluva geen pool. </div></div>

I tend to agree that he might not be 4 1/2 based on body shape but he has a very symetrical rack. Nice Deer, just the kind you want tending your does.

cf091208_080.jpg

I'm pretty sure he's 4.5. Here is a pic of him last year as a 3.5. Hence the name Brokebeam.

cf111207_070.jpg

Here he is the year before as a 2.5. Ten pointers are pretty scarce on this farm so he's easy to ID. The g4s and brows didn't really come on strong until this year.
cf082009_152.jpg

There are 3 identifiable bucks, all the same age, that he's been running with and he's the leanest of the bunch. I haven't gotten any pics of him in the last 2 weeks so I'm starting to freak out.

That is a middle-aged deer with good genes. Let him walk for another year or two, or three, and shoot the worst middle-aged ones you see. Two or three more years and he will be even bigger, with more mass. Shoot the worst ones in middle-age, and let the best ones improve the future of your herd.

I think he's 140+

but agree with the comments below... if the situation you are in makes it possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think he's 150 class easy, it's a shame you can't let him get another year old, more mass and beam length would put him over the top!!!</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a middle-aged deer with good genes. Let him walk for another year or two, or three, and shoot the worst middle-aged ones you see. Two or three more years and he will be even bigger, with more mass. Shoot the worst ones in middle-age, and let the best ones improve the future of your herd.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a middle-aged deer with good genes. Let him walk for another year or two, or three, and shoot the worst middle-aged ones you see. Two or three more years and he will be even bigger, with more mass. Shoot the worst ones in middle-age, and let the best ones improve the future of your herd. </div></div>

Oh if I get the opportunity to take him he's goin' down. While I wholeheartedly agree with your management logic, unfortunatly I'm on this farm as a frind of a friend by the skin on my teeth. I have no guarantee that I won't lose the ability to hunt it from day to day. I've tried to lock it up on a lease but the owner won't take the money but won't give me exclusive hunting rights either. On the upside I've had the farm to myself for the last 4 yrs, on the downside there is no guarantee for the future. Plus I just found out that I'm going to be a daddy for the first time at age 43 and who knows what my hunting schedule is going to be like next year.

This is off the subject alittle but how much corn do you go threw per week in that particular feeder? Any problems with raccoons?

The feeder holds about 375 lbs and they can go through it in 5-7 days. Thankfully corn is down to $10/hundred lbs. For some reason racoons haven't been as much of a problem this year as in the past. I think the coyotes are keeping their numbers down. Turkeys can really put away the corn too. I planned on going to a timer feeder on this farm this year and retiring the all you can eat buffet but didn't want to change anything while I had good bucks coming to it. BTW you can't feed here in KY March through May. I usually just feed Aug-Dec.

Nice deer. Good luck this season.

On the corn....tell me about it. I have a nice sized group of turkey that come through, deer, squirrels and one racoon. They're killing 300 lbs of hand thrown corn in 4 days. I need a timed feeder to spread it out and save me on the gas as well.

Great deer! I tend to agree with the management minded people, but I wouldn't feel any remorse for shooting that buck in your situation. Good luck and come back with some hero shots!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyabrams66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe he's 4.5 and with those long brows and good tine length all the way around I'm thinking he should bust 150". Feel free to add your target buck to this post. </div></div>
150 easy, this guy is gonna be a rock crusher in a year.

He better watch that comin out in the daylight stuff or ima put a 2 blade rage in the cage
bigd2.jpg
this one is just perdy,i think he'll go maybe 140 ish??
bigb16.jpg
bigb17.jpg

Thats a nice mature deer. Look at his belly and swayback in the first pic. I think he's a good bit better than 140. What are you putting on that stump? Trophy Rock to the right?

No I think the second one is 140ish,because his tines are kinda short mass isn't all that great either but he sure is wide tho. The one up has got to be humpin 150, that's a shooter in my book. I've got pics of that deer for the last 3 years and we all think he's around 5. The whole island flooded last year and we lost several MONSTER bucks that were amazing. One was a non typical 18 pt, his right side looked typical but with one drop about 8" long and the left side looked like a palmetta bush. He was prolly around 200!

well its not in LA,its actually in lake village arkansas on the miss river

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice deer. Good luck this season.

On the corn....tell me about it. I have a nice sized group of turkey that come through, deer, squirrels and one racoon. They're killing 300 lbs of hand thrown corn in 4 days. I need a timed feeder to spread it out and save me on the gas as well. </div></div>

Have you seen or heard of the capsule feeder? The feeder is expensive, but I think it would pay for itself just by you being able to control your feed. Check it out at www.capsulegamefeeder.com. It's the best feeder system I've ever seen.

Re: Target Buck (DOWN! w/pics)

Hey Yoke.......GREAT JOB BROTHER...A lot of hard work and determination...Way to go...He will look great on the wall. Looks like I need to take a trip to Kentucky...A quality Buck my ol'friend.

Billy C

Nice deer! You guys are all about your feeders huh we arent aloud to bait deer here doesnt seem real sporting anyway.Still a nice deer nice job letting him go last year.

Congrats on a great deer..........i'd say his pics definitely make him look 3.5 but with the hard KY summers in 2007 and 2008, he likely had to fight disease which probably hindered body growth.......good thing it didn't effect the bone growth on his head!

Buzzsaw the camera is an old(at least 5 yrs) Moultrie GameSpy 100 or 200 that uses 6v. I can't believe it even still works. The trigger time isn't great but good enough if you use it on a lick/feeder/scrape.

sl78928 I'll definitely be switching to a cheap $99 Moultrie spin feeder here next year. I've had good results with one I placed on my other farm this year. It holds 200 lbs, runs off 6v and with a $20 solar panel runs forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyabrams66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buzzsaw the camera is an old(at least 5 yrs) Moultrie GameSpy 100 or 200 that uses 6v. I can't believe it even still works. The trigger time isn't great but good enough if you use it on a lick/feeder/scrape.

sl78928 I'll definitely be switching to a cheap $99 Moultrie spin feeder here next year. I've had good results with one I placed on my other farm this year. It holds 200 lbs, runs off 6v and with a $20 solar panel runs forever.
</div></div>

kyabrams, thanks for the input. i think that is the way i'll end up going also, cause I could buy $10 of the moultrie feeders for the price of the capsule