• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Tattoos and LE

Jackal_5_Actual

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2010
Illinois
Just wondering if any LEOs use any of the tattoo cover up products, or what you use while on duty. I am starting a new glorified security job and i need to cover up my forearm with something once the weather gets warmer. I need feedback from anyone that covers their tats for work, besides long sleeve shirt etc.

Re: Tattoos and LE

While I am not LE but am FD there are numerous FD's that do not allow tats to show while on duty. Thankfully my department is not harsh on them and as long as they do not have nudity or profanity or are of bad taste they are fine. My brothers department does not allow them and his guys wear the TatJacket.

http://www.tatjacket.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I am not LE but am FD there are numerous FD's that do not allow tats to show while on duty. Thankfully my department is not harsh on them and as long as they do not have nudity or profanity or are of bad taste they are fine. My brothers department does not allow them and his guys wear the TatJacket.

</div></div>

100% nylon, 10% spandex

Hmmmm wonder how that will work out in a fire. Under Armor got banned in Iraq for that reason before they fixed it. Just sayin'
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I am not LE but am FD there are numerous FD's that do not allow tats to show while on duty. Thankfully my department is not harsh on them and as long as they do not have nudity or profanity or are of bad taste they are fine. My brothers department does not allow them and his guys wear the TatJacket.

</div></div>

100% nylon, 10% spandex

Hmmmm wonder how that will work out in a fire. Under Armor got banned in Iraq for that reason before they fixed it. Just sayin'
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Good point and I'm sure the arguement is that they are supposed to be in full PPE and therefore the sleeves would not be exposed. My department allows only Nomex or 100% cotton pants and shirts to include any undershirt or thermal clothing.

I can tell you there is a product called Dermablend, Leg & Body cover, that will do it, but it does need to be applied everyday, and covered with a powder so it doesn't rub off (FYI less in price than the FERBS on the tat-jacket site); it can be found at most Ulta (yes girly make-up stores); last I checked it was 18.00. There is also a product, in the make-up aisle at Walmart, Walgreens etc., by Sally Hansen, its called "spray on pantyhose" or something to that effect - in a tan aerosol aluminum can - takes about 30 minutes to dry but does NOT rub off on clothes until washed off - runs $9-11.
Are you willing to part with it or still want to keep it? If there is a med. school near you some of the dermatology departments will "assist" (laser treatments) when you let the dermatology residents do it; we actually had a program where ex-gangbangers could get referred by our local PD for removal once "reformed". One of the officers came & gave us a lecture on what signs meant which gang and how they would incorporate their symbols in designs...

Most of the guys at my department just wear elastic arm wraps. The kind you usually find in the first aid isle or a sports store.

My current department is fine with it, and I was grandfathered into policy with was my previous department. Are tattoos against your company/department's policy? I would start off by asking your supervisor about it. Maybe he/she will say it's not an issue and you don't have to do anything.

The departments I have worked with in the past would not allow ANY ink showing when you are on the clock.

I guess if you had something small on your back or under your clothes, you might make it. But they all discouraged personell from getting tattoos or body piercings.