• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC 22 Takedown vs Q El Camino or Dead air Mask?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I was all set to get the process started on a Q Thunder Chicken and El Camino, but after Kevin was amazingly rude to me when I asked him some questions, I'm going another direction. I'm settled on the TBAC 338 Ultra, and got to thinking it may just be easier to also get the Takedown 22 at the same time from Ray. How does it compare to the dead air mask? for use on a Volquartsen Summit rifle and a Volquartsen Scorpion pistol. I'm looking for ultimate suppression and accuracy.

I bought an El Camino back when they were running a special where you didnt have to pay for it until the stamp was approved. So far I've been very pleased with it. It assembles/disassembles easily, it's easy to clean and it's very quiet with minimal FRP. With that said, if it wasn't for the special they were running I possibly would have looked elsewhere due to the asshat of an owner that is Kevin Brittingham. It doesn't matter much on a rifle, but the El Camino is very light even by rimfire standards at 4.3 ounces which is nice for pistol shooting.

Haven’t used the Q. But I have plenty time with both the 22 TD and Mask HD. Personally, I cannot tell a difference on any platform, rifle or pistol, in terms of suppression. They are both “you only hear the action” quiet. They are also both noticeably quieter than my Sparrow, spectre ii and the Warlock I’ve used.

I hate to play favorites, but the TBAC 22TD is my personal go-to simply bc of the form factor. It fits in the blackdog/tacsol Ruger MK holster without modification and looks bad a&& on the VQ summit. The OD is almost identical to the summit barrel. I’ve used both on the Summit, Scorpion, and my VQ’d out MKIV Tactical. The MKIV has claimed many a squirrel, coon, oppossum, and rabbit in the last year, primarily, with the TBAC bc of the holster. It’s the Summit’s turn this year.

On the other hand the Mask HD comes wrapped like a cigar which is a nice touch.

The Mask is slightly shorter at 5.1” but wider and heavier at 6.6oz. The TBAC is 5.6” and 5.9oz according to their websites. Again, I can tell you, for myself, being able to fit the TBAC in the tacsol holster is a major plus. Neither suppressor negatively effects accuracy at all, in my experience. You won’t go wrong either way.

Heres the MKIV with the TBAC over a few corn stealers. And a side by side of the MKIV with the Sparrow (similar size to the Mask) and Scorpion with the TBAC
    E88318F3-1057-4634-8967-589BA6DA7D15.jpeg
    3F22C700-6180-4501-8CA8-5D4118D0AF54.png

Last edited:
    I went with the takedown 22, but I've heard nothing but positive reviews concerning the deadair mask hd. I chose the takedown 22 because it was in stock at my lgs, and the mask was not. If both were available, i probably would have opted for the lighter weight option.

I have a Thunderbeast TD and am very happy with it for the accuracy, noise reduction, minimal FRP, ease of cleaning, and fool proof reassembly.

The Mask is also an excellent can and I have shot one side by side.

Thunderbeast also heavily supports the shooting sports and is owned by actual shooters.

I may be wrong but Q, just seems like a fad/popup company. When these companies shut down, you are stuck with a product and no support. TBAC has been in business a long time, and they go above and beyond for their customers.

Dead Air Armament is relatively new as well, compared to others, but they are awesome when it comes to customer service. They support the industry, listen to feedback, and have a great warranty. They will probably be around, long term.

Reactions: rwest309
    I may be wrong but Q, just seems like a fad/popup company. When these companies shut down, you are stuck with a product and no support. TBAC has been in business a long time, and they go above and beyond for their customers.

I don't know about Q being a passing fad, KB has been in the Silencer industry for quite a while, but I can certainly see why his A-holery and childish marketing antics would keep potential buyers away.

+1 on TBAC being awesome, it's tough to find a reason to patronize Q when there are so many quality companies run by decent folks in the suppressor field.

Last edited:
    Reactions: rwest309