• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tempest Builds..Lets See em

Surprised but i can’t tell that it’s interfering anywhere seemed to drop in just fine. I think the height of the mag latch might need to be adjusted. With like 5 rounds loaded the rails of the chassis push down on the first round cussing the tempest to slide over. 10ths loaded there are no issues though

89EAA57A-402E-4A09-99B7-0E84CC1EBE1B.jpeg

How are you liking the Tempest in the rem 700 ATX chassis? Are you gonna add the bridge and weight system to it?
I don’t think I’ll add weights to it. I love it though first time I’ve actually really enjoyed a chassis. I will be adding the bridge.
ADCF659C-0EEC-4602-8351-78DD9BEF133E.jpeg

3538CBF5-ED0B-4078-8BEE-7B6EAC9C2367.jpeg

Attachments

• CAA85BFE-6F30-4799-AD15-13810262013A.jpeg
    CAA85BFE-6F30-4799-AD15-13810262013A.jpeg
    782.4 KB · Views: 49
is gap still pushing the tempest?

thinking of picking one up, dont want to get the last "model year"

someone walking around shot said they were not as enthusiastic with the tempest compared to other actions GAP sells etc

are they prefit yet or still need a smith for the chamber/barrel

They are available and a choice just like the rest of their actions. I've a new 22 GT being built on one in a Manners TCS. They are depleting what they have left in Defiance. Getting Impact GAP branded actions in May. There was no talk about the Tempest going away.

Love the action, you can try some of mine if you haven't shot one yet.

Usually, I'll have spare barrels spun up when I order the build. Haven't looked into pre fits for them.

is gap still pushing the tempest?

thinking of picking one up, dont want to get the last "model year"

someone walking around shot said they were not as enthusiastic with the tempest compared to other actions GAP sells etc

are they prefit yet or still need a smith for the chamber/barrel

Reactions: brianf
They are available and a choice just like the rest of their actions. I've a new 22 GT being built on one in a Manners TCS. They are depleting what they have left in Defiance. Getting Impact GAP branded actions in May. There was no talk about the Tempest going away.

Love the action, you can try some of mine if you haven't shot one yet.

Usually, I'll have spare barrels spun up when I order the build. Haven't looked into pre fits for them.
when it gets a little warmer we can finally meet up

if all stays on schedule i can bring a 95% (almost production - prototype) previous life rifle to play with by then

i thinks its a 300NM if i remember

Reactions: BuLLet
I know these things share a lot of DNA with the Badger M2013 (which I own).

One has come up for sale locally, and I am a whore for trying new actions, but has anyone compared the bolt lift to the Badger. Don’t get me wrong, I love my M2013, but ideally I’d prefer a lighter lift.

I have owned both actions and still have the Tempest. I really like both actions and felt my Tempest had a slightly (very minimal) better bolt lift once I had the correct trigger hanger installed. Not sure if you ever handled an AI but both the Badger and Tempest seemed to have a lighter bolt lift than my AT-X.

Reactions: FF05 and CStroud
I know these things share a lot of DNA with the Badger M2013 (which I own).

One has come up for sale locally, and I am a whore for trying new actions, but has anyone compared the bolt lift to the Badger. Don’t get me wrong, I love my M2013, but ideally I’d prefer a lighter lift.
They're really the same design just one is a flat bottom double recoil lug and one is a roundbody single lug, Rem 700 style footprint. Horizon (MacBros) makes both. By comparison the M2008 I had, had a heavier bolt lift.

I have owned both actions and still have the Tempest. I really like both actions and felt my Tempest had a slightly (very minimal) better bolt lift once I had the correct trigger hanger installed. Not sure if you ever handled an AI but both the Badger and Tempest seemed to have a lighter bolt lift than my AT-X.

Yeah fair enough, if its gonna feel the same as my M2013 I probably wont bother grabbing it (not that I dont like my Badger).

I have an AX and an AT, and both have a lighter lift than my Badger, but my buds new ATX is a bit heavier - probably still breaking in.

Yeah fair enough, if its gonna feel the same as my M2013 I probably wont bother grabbing it (not that I dont like my Badger).

I have an AX and an AT, and both have a lighter lift than my Badger, but my buds new ATX is a bit heavier - probably still breaking in.
Of the AIs I’ve felt i all thought were heavier than my tempest. Running a triggertech diamond.

Reviving this thread. Got my Tempest in yesterday. UPS broke the trigger but I had a spare TT diamond. Used the .30 hanger. Bolt lift seems heavy and I had 3 fail to ignite BR4s. Good hit on the primers. Factory ammo I shot had no issues. For a TT diamond, what is everybody else using for the hanger? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240427_162225.jpg
    20240427_162225.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Go back in this thread and check for the pin protrusion range. Possible your firing pin may need to be adjusted if you’re already using a 30 hanger.

Edit: Hopefully the measurement wasn’t on Scout. I don’t recall what it’s supposed to be anymore, but a call/email to GAP should fix that.

Re-edit. Found it

Holy shit. It doesn’t seem possible I built this rifle 7 years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks @FatBoy. I'll check on that.

Correcting pin protrusion fixed mine. The culprit was my gunsmith was not familiar with these actions (they were new, mine was un-coated) and when he coated it, the pin was loose after reassembly.

FWIW, I sent mine into GAP and asked them to check the entire bolt and Firing pin assembly over. I also requested a heavier firing pin spring, which they installed . The spring change was not necessary, but I don’t require super fast cycling with two fingers so for me there is no downside. At least for how I use the rifle now.

@FatBoy I called and talked with GAP yesterday. I made some adjustments like they told me, didnt know there is a dimple in the fire pin that is held in by a set screw. Dissembled my bolt and firing pin assembly. That dimple on mine is very galled up. I may just get a new firing pin as this one has some life on it.

Reactions: FatBoy
@FatBoy I called and talked with GAP yesterday. I made some adjustments like they told me, didnt know there is a dimple in the fire pin that is held in by a set screw. Dissembled my bolt and firing pin assembly. That dimple on mine is very galled up. I may just get a new firing pin as this one has some life on it.

Was it out of adjustment ?

Was it out of adjustment ?
I was looking at 0.172-0.175" of pin protrusion. I think the pin was one or two rotations out but not sure. They told me to look down in and see the dimple. My eye site is very good and I couldn't even see it. I gave it a good cleaning, made a small mark on the retainer for the spring on where the dimple was. But the firing pin will move a little because that detent is so galled up. Hope to shoot some today to confirm if it's fixed it now.

Reactions: FatBoy
Good luck. May need a new pin and training screws.

I’ve not shot or looked at this rifle is so long I’m not sure if GAP sells field kits for it? Would be nice to have an extractor/spring, firing pin and spring, maybe an ejector , just in case. Anyone know off hand?

Reactions: jb41291
I emailed and asked that. BTW...whats the height over bore for the pic rail? Im guessing im at 1.77" with 1" rings and a G3 Razor.

Ok good, thats right about where im at.
The earlier versions there were reports of the tempest having a problem lighting off cci primers. I had a early gen 1 and a gen 2 tempest and ran cci exclusively without a single FTF. If you are still getting ftfs with that protrusion (you can go more but it will have stiffer bolt lift) id look at maybe your firing pin protrusion in the bolt face. If I recall there is a double grub screw if you look into the bottom of the bolt shroud which should let you adjust that. You don't want to adjust to much or you'll get pierced primers.

Reactions: farrar86
The earlier versions there were reports of the tempest having a problem lighting off cci primers. I had a early gen 1 and a gen 2 tempest and ran cci exclusively without a single FTF. If you are still getting ftfs with that protrusion (you can go more but it will have stiffer bolt lift) id look at maybe your firing pin protrusion in the bolt face. If I recall there is a double grub screw if you look into the bottom of the bolt shroud which should let you adjust that. You don't want to adjust to much or you'll get pierced primers.
Mine is fairly early. Has the 6 lug, but the serial is sub #200. What should the protrusion be for the pin on the face of the bolt? And last question as to not hijack this thread; What is the height of the pic rail from the center of the bolt?

Mine is fairly early. Has the 6 lug, but the serial is sub #200. What should the protrusion be for the pin on the face of the bolt? And last question as to not hijack this thread; What is the height of the pic rail from the center of the bolt?
You’re not highjacking the thread friend. Your questions are precisely why i started it 7 years ago.

Reactions: jb41291
Ha! I had 215 as my first tempest.

FP protrusion isn't anything magical since it has to be standard across the board here. 0.055" is they average but it could go as low as .040 and as high as .065. Since the rifle is so "old" you may need a new FP spring if both protrusions check out fine. You could call up GAP and have them send you one.

No idea on that dimension but a cheap caliper or even a good ruler should get that for you. I'm assuming you need it for bore to scope measurements for a ballistic solver?

I've got Tempest #20.... *cough*

If GAP does not have firing pins, you can call Mack Bros directly and order from them. I did that a while back and had a pair of replacements at my door in about a week despite being on almost the opposite corner of the country. I don't remember the price, but they were reasonable. I had to replace an FP in one of my two actions and got a second as a spare.