• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tempest Builds..Lets See em

Shot it today!

20210712_161211.jpg

20210712_161217.jpg

Nice builds always wanted a Tempest so I ordered one and picked it up on Friday. I dropped a trigger in and whoa is that cock on close something to contend with if you don’t operate the bolt with authority. I dropped a Bix and Andy Tacsport pro in it with the Bullet Central trigger hanger and it is stiff to say the least. I watched the video of George operating his with one or two fingers so I am hoping once I get a barrel and some rounds through it, that it will become smoother.
image.jpg

Put 60 rounds through mine and never even noticed any difficulty working the bolt. I have two of them and I'll pull them out of the safe and take note of the cock on close and get back to you..... if they present any issue on close.

Nice builds always wanted a Tempest so I ordered one and picked it up on Friday. I dropped a trigger in and whoa is that cock on close something to contend with if you don’t operate the bolt with authority. I dropped a Bix and Andy Tacsport pro in it with the Bullet Central trigger hanger and it is stiff to say the least. I watched the video of George operating his with one or two fingers so I am hoping once I get a barrel and some rounds through it, that it will become smoother.
View attachment 7678501

Last edited:
Reactions: Nouseforaname01
How hard the closing is on a Tempest has a lot to do with the trigger used, as well as the hanger. Might want to get in touch with Ken at GAP when they get back in the office this week and see what he suggests.

I’ve had Jewell HVRs and am currently running TT 2-stage diamonds. Same hanger for both. I doubt it made much difference but they were both gold for lighter bolt manipulation

Hollywood is spot on. It’s all in the sear engagement. The best and most reliable setup I’ve had with my tempest has been the diamond and the corresponding recommended hanger. I can’t remember the specific one without pulling it. I’ve run the x-mark, Bix N Andy, Huber, timney 2-stage, and all had issues truthfully not painstakingly but i had misfires with all of them trying to get the correct hanger with them. I’ve not had one with the diamond I’m running.

I tried a TT Diamond 2 stage as well with the same results as the B&A, so I will be calling GA tomorrow for sure. I thought it would have come with the other trigger hangers but it only came with a 20, it will be an awesome setup once I get it sorted out.

Measure how far the firing pin protrudes out the back of the cocking piece and post it up.

Mine was stiff as well. Between getting my cocking distance correct and a custom firing pin spring I’ve been a happy camper. Spring likely wasn’t needed but I do not need a spring that robust for a range queen.

The pin protrusion was the first thing I checked and it was close to .3 so I adjusted it down to .187 and it helped a little.

I removed the firing pin, and took the two set screws out of the cocking piece, then rotated the firing pin assembly while holding the shroud. I will say that GA Precision has some excellent customer service, I called them this morning and sent a short video and they said it doesn’t seem right send it back and we will make it right. I will update when I get it back but they did say that the #20 hanger is for the TT Diamond which is what I tried first with similar results.

You moved the pin but not the amount of distance the cocking piece cocked. They’ll sort it for sure.

It's stated a lot earlier in this thread. You want .183 protrusion out of the back of the cocking shroud when cocked and you adjust that by the trigger hanger not the firing pin itself. Adjusting the firing pin changes the protrusion hitting the primer which will cause either pierced primers or ftfs if done too far out of spec.

I run a bix n Andy with I think a 10 or 0 hanger. Get the complete set from GAP and test. You can be a smidge under .183. This will make the bolt lift light...won't be kelbly light but far lighter than any other 6 lug 60degree bolt.

First off I would like to say the folks over at GA Precision were very helpful in getting my trigger issues sorted out. I figured while it was there I might as well have them spin up a barrel in 6cm, and I must say that this rifle is a hammer.
FCBBD2AE-5C17-4703-B689-B65D3DC1952F.jpeg
C4BC9D10-C726-4569-9378-11815F9CA264.jpeg
A3783364-2940-4CE5-82AE-52D0BE99291E.jpeg

Just pressed into the pins, friction held. Obviously the barrel once in place and torqued it can't go anywhere. It's still removable (lock)?
Its removable, but there's no way you're doing it by hand. Its on tight.

Edit: I'll post a pic when I get it out next time

Reactions: BuLLet
Are these actions still available? Can’t seem to get ahold of GA Precision by phone or email to inquire.

what’s the most recent price/wait time?

Are these actions still available? Can’t seem to get ahold of GA Precision by phone or email to inquire.

what’s the most recent price/wait time?
I just got two of them, delivered last week. 22 GT in a Foundation and a 6 Creedmoor in a Manners TCS. Think the list price on the action was $1380. Something like that.

Anyone know where i can get a custom bolt handle/stem made for my tempest. Would like to get one like the factory one but with more length and swept back a little more.

Anyone know where i can get a custom bolt handle/stem made for my tempest. Would like to get one like the factory one but with more length and swept back a little more.
I'd start with GAP.

Ended up getting a comp lite for the tempest. Had to inlet some space for the rail and switchlug. Just need to drill a hole to access it now. Still needs a full length arca rail and a spuhr mount. The bolt handle needs to be popped to the first lift position for the folder to close, but doesn't move when it is closed.

6d83ed06-0d93-4521-be1d-8ea8aa9caf4a-jpeg.7956456

Should be dropping my tempest into an ATX soon for an update to the ole gal. Was recently cycling it next to my XM3. Going back to the 700 and then to the Tempest you forget how smooth these are. Idk whether it was Chad or getting one of the first Tempest that weren't coated but I've not laid hands on an action as smooth to date. Even my friends who pick it up are like "man..."

Should be dropping my tempest into an ATX soon for an update to the ole gal. Was recently cycling it next to my XM3. Going back to the 700 and then to the Tempest you forget how smooth these are. Idk whether it was Chad or getting one of the first Tempest that weren't coated but I've not laid hands on an action as smooth to date. Even my friends who pick it up are like "man..."
Still have mine as well. I ended up removing the factory ball knob and the jb weld on the handle's thread to install a glades armory round knob. Makes the action feel even faster. Gap needs to release a long action of the tempest already

Reactions: 5RWill
Still have mine as well. I ended up removing the factory ball knob and the jb weld on the handle's thread to install a glades armory round knob. Makes the action feel even faster. Gap needs to release a long action of the tempest already
Man i feel like it didn’t kick off as well as they would’ve liked. But i honestly applaud George for the design. It’s more or less an AW in a 700 footprint. And there isn’t a 3 lug remotely comparable on the market IMHO. I know Joel makes a smooth action but they just don’t feel the same to me. And part of that might be that i feel a swept bolt handle belongs on a 3-lug. Which Joel says he won’t do lol. But the terminus and Curtis actions haven’t felt as smooth as my tempest to me. Admittedly i also have years of use, DLC, and the raceways polished but still. The one AI i handled i thought felt somewhat similar but the bolt lift was worse.

What’s the new bolt knob look like?

Reactions: jb41291
Man i feel like it didn’t kick off as well as they would’ve liked. But i honestly applaud George for the design. It’s more or less an AW in a 700 footprint. And there isn’t a 3 lug remotely comparable on the market IMHO. I know Joel makes a smooth action but they just don’t feel the same to me. And part of that might be that i feel a swept bolt handle belongs on a 3-lug. Which Joel says he won’t do lol. But the terminus and Curtis actions haven’t felt as smooth as my tempest to me. Admittedly i also have years of use, DLC, and the raceways polished but still. The one AI i handled i thought felt somewhat similar but the bolt lift was worse.

What’s the new bolt knob look like?
Its just like the ai style gap knob, just a little bigger. I tried asking gap if it was possible to do a more aggressive and longer sweep for the bolt handle but no luck. I had a vector and while i loved how smooth it was had to adjust mag latch and feedlips for reliable feeding. My tempest is plug and play whether im using aics or aw. A roller cocking piece like the curtis and terminus would be super slick

This. I've had to buy a cadex for my long action. Make the tempest LA and get it to feed from DSSF mags

Reactions: jb41291