• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tempest Builds..Lets See em

@jb41291 did you ever figure it out? No worries in flooding the thread man should someone go searching for the same issue and doesn't have an account it will lead them to this thread. I had my breeching ring polished a while back from GAP because it was marring my brass i'm wondering if that is the cause, if brass is getting hung on it.
Hey Will. Yea man i figured it out. So my aw mags i had the problems with where tuned for my old vector. I knew it was a me problem witht he configuration i chose.

I got them to run by adjusting the lips back to original as much as i could. However i will probably get rid of them. I got some brand new aw mags and the extended mag catch and it worked without even tweaking anything. I was essentially chasing my tail by adjusting the old mags along with trimming the catch. It is still not as smooth as i know it can be though. This, deburring the collar, and getting dlc coated should make for a great set up.

I do feel like the ring does catch my brass because of the sharp edges. Im going to talk gap and see what they can do for me. A few people have told me this has been a problem for them as well.

Customs rifles i hate but love them

Reactions: 5RWill
**Update on feed issues**

So new unaltered aw mags and an extended mag catch solved my feeding problem. However, i was having issues with the bolt stopping short after cycling a new round. This was due to sharp edges inside the breech collar catching on my brass and digging into them which required me to back out the bolt or power the round into the chamber. Got my barrel vise yesterday and removed the breech collar. Took a steel wire bore brush attachment, threw it in a hand drill and knocked down the sharp edges and polished the feed ramps.

After reassembly, loaded up some dummy rounds and cycled the action. Man! This thing is slick. Flawless feeding now.

Last edited:
Finally got a geissele super 700. Installed it in the 20 hanger. Didn't have to adjust the firing pin protrusion from it being set for my tacsport. No problems with the trigger. I am extremely pleased with the it in my tempest. Only downside is i have to remove the trigger from the action if i want to access the top adjustment screws on the trigger.

Someone who is more knowledgeable can hopefully tell me if my idea is crazy. If this has already been asked, then I’m sorry. I couldn’t find it.

Is there a way to make a Tempest action a quick change barrel system?

basically I was thinking that it could be something like the Curtis Vector/Terminus Zeus style. If you could get whoever threads and head spaces your barrel could add a non threaded spot where 2 boots could screw into it and secure it. Likewise, you could have 2 holes drilled and threaded into the front part of the action just past the recoil lug.

Someone who is more knowledgeable can hopefully tell me if my idea is crazy. If this has already been asked, then I’m sorry. I couldn’t find it.

basically I was thinking that it could be something like the Curtis Vector/Terminus Zeus style. If you could get whoever threads and head spaces your barrel could add a non threaded spot where 2 boots could screw into it and secure it. Likewise, you could have 2 holes drilled and threaded into the front part of the action just past the recoil lug.
I researched this, the WTO switchlug can be fitted to the front of the action. Was in the process of going through with it and covid hit so held off, for now...

Reactions: MPDS13
I researched this, the WTO switchlug can be fitted to the front of the action. Was in the process of going through with it and covid hit so held off, for now...

Awsome! Thanks for the info. I looked into the WTO a couple years ago and forgot about them when thinking of this idea. You will have to let us know how it turns out. Who was going to do the work?

I feel like it’d be best to just get a bunch of prefits or shouldered barrels with wrench flats.

Speaking of which anywhere know where i can get an action wrench for it? Or will SACs work?

It seems like the tempest has all but been discontinued.

I feel like it’d be best to just get a bunch of prefits or shouldered barrels with wrench flats.

Speaking of which anywhere know where i can get an action wrench for it? Or will SACs work?

Hey Will. I use thr bugholes/spr ai wrench.

Reactions: Praeger
Awsome! Thanks for the info. I looked into the WTO a couple years ago and forgot about them when thinking of this idea. You will have to let us know how it turns out. Who was going to do the work?
A bloke over here in Aus was going to do the work.

GAP at least used to sell one (I have one) that attaches to the front action screw hole and fits around the recoil lug. Obviously that requires pulling your stock/chassis.

I'll second the suggestion of shouldered barrels and either getting them cut for wrench flats or getting a barrel vice. I have 6.5SAUM, 6 Creedmoor, 6GT, and 308 barrels for my two Tempest actions, and I can do a barrel swap in about 10 minutes with the GAP action wrench and a barrel vice.

Last edited:
GAP at lease used to sell one (I have one) that attaches to the front action screw hole and fits around the recoil lug. Obviously that requires pulling your stock/chassis.

I'll second the suggestion of shouldered barrels and either getting them cut for wrench flats or getting a barrel vice. I have 6.5SAUM, 6 Creedmoor, 6GT, and 308 barrels for my two Tempest actions, and I can do a barrel swap in about 10 minutes with the GAP action wrench and a barrel vice.
Good points. When i was building my tempest on m40a6, i intended to have the action stay in the chassis because of how the rail is integrated. Some flats would have been optimal. I run my tempest in a krg bravo right now and use a viper vise with an spr/bugholes wrench while keeping the action in the stock. The wrench flats would probably eliminate the need for mounting in a vice as long as i do not exceed a torque spec around 40 ft lbs

Last edited:
I actually spoke to GAP today. They unfortunately do not and will not make a bolt face for the tempest that I was wanting. Only standard and magnum faces. So, it’s out for me. Guess I’ll have to go custom Tikka or go back to 90degree bolt style.

I figured that wrench would work but wasn't totally sure, thanks Hic28. Figure i'll have to get one if not for the rebarrel.

I was going to throat my 6.5x47 just because my .123 freebore with 130gr SMKs looks so stubby. But at 1700rds i'm not sure that it's worth it and it's really shooting right now.

IMG_0812.jpg

I actually spoke to GAP today. They unfortunately do not and will not make a bolt face for the tempest that I was wanting. Only standard and magnum faces. So, it’s out for me. Guess I’ll have to go custom Tikka or go back to 90degree bolt style.

What bolt face?

I do not reload and want factory match ammo. I know all ammo is in demand currently. But, getting a hold of Prime 6GT ammo regularly to keep in stock is not likely at those prices. I also shoot it in ARs so having a fun accurate round I can use in both is nice. I also would like a decent barrel life.

I really like the look and aesthetics of the Tempest action with the swept back bolt handle and quick cycling speed. I really loved it in my AIAX.

Does anyone know how consistent the tempest actions are for swapping barrels from action to action? I have two and am considering buying two switchlugs to fuel my poor decision making.

Reactions: M338
IIRC they should be consistent enough for prefits. But I’m not totally sure. If you’re swapping between just try it with no go gauges.

Reactions: Simia Dei
Does anyone know how consistent the tempest actions are for swapping barrels from action to action? I have two and am considering buying two switchlugs to fuel my poor decision making.

I've plugged the same 6GT prefit (from GAP) into my super early (first 20 production models early) Tempest and into my brand new one from last fall, and there MIGHT have been .5-1thou of difference in headspace. The new action was the one that was a hair shorter, but I could chamber brass sized to the old action in the new one, it just took a smidge of effort. A slight tweak of my sizing die fixed that problem.

Haha!
You’ll be sweet mate,DC sent me a barrel spun up of their shop action,headspace was spot on.

Haha!
You’ll be sweet mate,DC sent me a barrel spun up of their shop action,headspace was spot on.
Lordy, you're still alive mate! I hope you've been well!

I've plugged the same 6GT prefit (from GAP) into my super early (first 20 production models early) Tempest and into my brand new one from last fall, and there MIGHT have been .5-1thou of difference in headspace. The new action was the one that was a hair shorter, but I could chamber brass sized to the old action in the new one, it just took a smidge of effort. A slight tweak of my sizing die fixed that problem.
IIRC they should be consistent enough for prefits. But I’m not totally sure. If you’re swapping between just try it with no go gauges.

Cheers for the info fellas, I guess this is where I say "hold my beer". I've sent WTO an email so will hopefully have a pair on the way sometime soon.

I was going to have lri or sac make a top rail to fit the tempest. Sac did something similar for an arc action in a racs chassis
Might be worth checking into. If you get it done, let me know so I can pass the info on to my buddy. I think he's got the Lite Strike in his.

Last edited:
Reactions: jb41291
Unsure whether this has been answered, but is anyone running a 2 stage with their tempest?

Only shot an ai once. From what i can remember the geissele felt the closest tcompared to the tacsport. Geissele has more of a wall ehile the box felt a little mushy with a rolling break, respectively.
Thanks mate, I'll see if I can track down a pair over here

TT is the best trigger i've used in the tempest out of the x mark pro, huber, Timney 2-stage, and BnA Tacsport. Have ran a Diamond with the .20 hanger without a single issue for probably 4 years or so now.

TT is the best trigger i've used in the tempest out of the x mark pro, huber, Timney 2-stage, and BnA Tacsport. Have ran a Diamond with the .20 hanger without a single issue for probably 4 years or so now.
Thanks mate, I just found some in stock so will go with this option. Geiselle are non-existent here.

Hi, everyone.... my name is Hollywood, and I have a Tempest problem....

Top:
2020 production Tempest in 6GT
Bartlein GAP #7 barrel
PDC Custom Gen 5 Competition chassis
Bushnell XRS2 in Hawkins Heavy Tactical Mount
Armageddon Gear Cheeky Bastard
TLC Grips pistol grip
Timney HIT trigger

Bottom:
2015 production Tempest in 308
Bartlein Medium Palma barrel
TLC Grips pistol grip
Timney HIT trigger

The Area 419 Maverick, Kestrel HUD, and Atlas CAL bipod (not shown) get moved between rifles as needed. I still have a little paint work to do on the white chassis, and I need to find another SAP 2 round holder to go on it.

Attachments

• Tempest Twins.jpg
    Tempest Twins.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 109

Top:
Bartlein GAP #7 barrel
TLC Grips pistol grip
Timney HIT trigger

Bottom:
TLC Grips pistol grip
Timney HIT trigger

The Area 419 Maverick, Kestrel HUD, and Atlas CAL bipod (not shown) get moved between rifles as needed. I still have a little paint work to do on the white chassis, and I need to find another SAP 2 round holder to go on it.
(everyone in the tempest forum as a group): Hi Hollywood.

I really want to make the tempest work in a cadex dual strike or a racs

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm

Top:
Bartlein GAP #7 barrel
TLC Grips pistol grip
Timney HIT trigger

Bottom:
TLC Grips pistol grip
Timney HIT trigger

I think the xrs is the most common scope I have seen on tempest. Hell, I have one on mine.

Grabbed new stock. Just waiting on switchlugs and a few barrels before it gets jazzed up, bedded, and supplied with something better than a ghost trigger.

716A0EC2-7BBA-4962-99B0-974EE42422AD.jpeg