• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Testing the 7mm 190’s.

Steel head

Feral kitten
Minuteman
  • Aug 3, 2014
    Washington
    Tested the 190 A Tip today from 530 to a bit over 2000.
    Ran some 190 hybrids and 185RDF’s as well for comparison.
    Pretty decent wind as I was holding up to 3 mills today.

All three were running a safe 2850 to 2865

the RDF did pretty Good considering the price but the bullet consistency was not in the same league as the hybrid and ATip.
    24 mils to 2020 at 2865 and the advertised BC is really close.

190 Hybrids were the slowest at 2850 but still a full mil less come up than the RDF.
    The new hybrid is an excellent bullet.
    23 mils to 2020 and once again trueing was easy as the BC is really close.

The new 190 A-tip’s stupendous BC had me doubtful as I generally have to fiddle with Hornandy BC’s consistently.
    Slapped the speed and BC in the kestrel and it was basically spot on at 530, 1115, 1365, 1930 and only .3 low at 2020!
    That could easily be wind related as wind was switchy all day.
    Running at a leisurely 2866 it only took 21.4 to 2020.
    I put 6 in a row in a 3’ painted circle with at least one hitting the gong in the middle with the A Tips holding 3 mils for wind.
    That amazing BC appears legit!
    F2423A11-A484-4752-BFA6-7756945E0A92.jpeg

EE36FDFD-D98D-469E-AFC5-D93D925A5E93.jpeg

Nice to hear on the ATIP BC. I believe the advertised BC is for 200 yards. Based on their published bc data for other bullets, a drop in BC is to be expected at long range.

It will be nice when the litz values get published for this and the LRHT.

Nice to hear on the ATIP BC. I believe the advertised BC is for 200 yards. Based on their published bc data for other bullets, a drop in BC is to be expected at long range.

It will be nice when the litz values get published for this and the LRHT.
    I was honestly expecting to have to monkey with the BC.
    According to the kestrel It just barely still supersonic and honestly it acted like it still was.

The A tips at 1520 yards was basically easy mode

It solidly beat the 190 hybrids as far as drops.

The Litz value for the 140 hybrids and 147 eldm is pretty close to spot on from my findings.

I think once I shoot all my 168 Berger’s I’m gonna use the RDF as a regular load and the A tips for those special occasions.

So the .422 held up pretty well. Glad to hear now i might have to try them lol was the atips constants bullet to bullet like bergers? And any special seater stem

So the .422 held up pretty well. Glad to hear now i might have to try them lol was the atips constants bullet to bullet like bergers? And any special seater stem
    Yea
    It’s appears to be totally legit.
    It was .3 off at 2020 and I’m not correcting that till I try it again because I was in a pretty good wind with an occasional head wind element.

Consistency between it and the Berger 190’s is so close I’m not confident I could distinguish a difference.

Out of curiosity I measured oal on every tip I seated.
    All were within 1 thou!!!!

21 and change mils to over 2000 burning around 60 grains of powder!

My 7 saum Forster micrometer clears the tips on the A Tip just barely.

I loaded a short ladder around the charge I use for the 190 hybrids and it was 15 FPS faster( A tip has a bit more bearing area) an ES on all three charges was 12 or better on all three charges in ten shots.

Last edited:
    Yea
    It’s appears to be totally legit.
    Consistency between it and the Berger 190’s is so close I’m not confident I could distinguish a difference.

Out of curiosity I measured oal on every tip I seated.
    All were within 1 thou!!!!

21 and change mils to over 2000 burning around 60 grains of powder!
    Man that is impressive im sure in the 7 mm mag i could get 2950 28 inch barrel. Happy to hear

I might need to slap some of these in my 7-300. Glad they stayed true.

Here's my testing from Saturday.

I think the 190LRHT, 190ATIP, and 183SMK are all very excellent bullets and viable choices. From a statistical perspective, their performance is pretty much identical at the distance I test (1284 yards on paper). My performance measurement is vertical standard deviation.

IMG_1009.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG

I will likely go with the 190LRHT as it looks like a safe bet. I had good results before with the 184F-open Hybrids, but now with the 190s there is no need to point them myself. The A-TIP is a clear leader in BC, but its interesting to note that the 183 SMK is not very far behind on drops when put in front of the same powder charge. Also, on the LRHT I sorted by length and SMK was sorted by weight and length. I did not sort the ATIPs, so I may be leaving a bit on the table with them - but for their cost and marketing - I shouldn't have to sort them.

My velocity numbers are derived from BC. I found myself playing around too much with the labradar and magnetospeed to get inconsistent results - so I test on paper as the bullet tells the truth.

I had one questionable shot that went into either of the 183SMK groups, the rest of the numbers I'm fairly confident in - although I'll need to re-check my zero with each of these bullets next time I go out to confirm drops.

TargetPowderChargeShotsBulletDialedVertical OffsetActual Drop MOAVertical SDGroup Size InchesGroup Size MOAMean RadiusDAG7 BCEst. VelocityNotes
    2​
    H4831SC
    61.5​
    10​
    190 LRHT
    33​
    -0.723​
    33.723​
    0.257​
    13.5​
    1.006​
    0.309​
    3200​
    0.384​
    2897​
    3​
    H1000
    64.5​
    10​
    190 LRHT
    30.5​
    -1.338​
    31.838​
    0.238​
    12.633​
    0.94​
    0.27​
    4000​
    0.384​
    2954​
    4​
    H1000
    64.5​
    9​
    190 ATIP
    29​
    -0.364​
    29.364​
    0.382​
    16.23​
    1.207​
    0.405​
    4200​
    0.422​
    2993​
    5​
    RE23
    60.8​
    9​
    190 ATIP
    28​
    -1.253​
    29.253​
    0.26​
    11.825​
    0.88​
    0.317​
    3800​
    0.422​
    2998​
    6​
    RE23
    60.8​
    9​
    183 SMK
    29​
    -0.773​
    29.773​
    0.246​
    11.834​
    0.88​
    0.273​
    4000​
    0.377​
    3046​
    questionable shot
    7​
    RE23
    60.8​
    9​
    190 LRHT
    30​
    -0.643​
    30.643​
    0.28​
    13.778​
    1.025​
    0.261​
    4000​
    0.384​
    3003​
    8​
    H1000
    64.5​
    10​
    183 SMK
    30.5​
    0.034​
    30.466​
    0.276​
    18.632​
    1.386​
    0.432​
    3800​
    0.377​
    3017​
    questionable shot

AveragesVertical SDGroup Size InchesGroup Size MOAMean Radius
    190 ATIP
    0.32​
    14.03​
    1.04​
    0.36​
    190 LRHT
    0.26​
    13.30​
    0.99​
    0.28​
    183 SMK
    0.26​
    15.23​
    1.13​
    0.35​

*Load data here is over max book loads for 7 SAUM, I use TBN coating and have a custom throat to allow an OAL up to 3.2 - do not attempt to use these loads, I don't take any responsibility for your reloading practices - and would you really trust a guy that shoots MOA?*

I’m still on the fence.
    A tip or 190 lrhb.
    I still have most of the box left and I’ll decide when they’re gone.
    Going out tomorrow
    Hopefully the wind will be a bit milder but their performance in the wind was pretty excellent last time.

Reactions: calshipbuilder
    Just an update
    I just realized (cuz my brain is foggy with age and abuse) is that the scope on my 7 saum is 99% at 20 mils.
    That pretty much perfectly accounts for the extra elevation needed at my furthest targets.

Last edited:
    I’m still on the fence.
    A tip or 190 lrhb.
    I still have most of the box left and I’ll decide when they’re gone.
    Going out tomorrow
    Hopefully the wind will be a bit milder but their performance in the wind was pretty excellent last time.

Have you ever tested the 197 SMK? Curious about that bullet with a SAUM... Thanks

I haven’t tried them.
    I’m thinking I’d need more powder capacity or longer barrel to do them justice.

That's what I was wondering if the SAUM had enough gas to take advantage of that big of a pill. Been thinking about building a 7mm Sherman Max, SAUM improved. He states it'll push a 195 at 3000 fps, which should be enough to push the 197.

That's what I was wondering if the SAUM had enough gas to take advantage of that big of a pill. Been thinking about building a 7mm Sherman Max, SAUM improved. He states it'll push a 195 at 3000 fps, which should be enough to push the 197.
    I’m sure the Saum could safely get them to 2825-2875 and possibly 2900.
    I’ve had the 190’s at 2950 but I’m not sure that’s feasible in the summer.

At this point the performance I’m getting with both the 190’s is plenty.
    To shoot further I’d want a bullet a good bit bigger.

I’m sure the Saum could safely get them to 2825-2875 and possibly 2900.
    I’ve had the 190’s at 2950 but I’m not sure that’s feasible in the summer.

At this point the performance I’m getting with both the 190’s is plenty.
    To shoot further I’d want a bullet a good bit bigger.

The SAUM is a very impressive little case IMHO. And your numbers prove that. I am curious if RL26 would be a better option with that heavy of a bullet. I know its just about impossible to find though

The 197 has a similar G1 as the A Tip but what you spend on powder and expensive brass and dies for just a bit more performance has me thinking the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

The SAUM is a very impressive little case IMHO. And your numbers prove that. I am curious if RL26 would be a better option with that heavy of a bullet. I know its just about impossible to find though
    I’m using R26
    Thankfully I have a good stash of it.
    Enough to kill my next 7 saum barrel as well as my current one.

Loaded long H1000 and 7977 get great speeds but with R26 I get the same speed with 3 grains less.

I do have another set of charges higher to find pressure with the Atips but honestly at this point my Barrel should probably be starting to slow down.

I’m using R26

Loaded long H1000 and 7977 get great speeds but with R26 I get the same speed with 3 grains less.

I do have another set of charges higher to find pressure with the Atips but honestly at this point my Barrel should probably be starting to slow down.

Where did you say you live.... JK. I take it you are running a long action? What freebore do you recommend?

The 197 has a similar G1 as the A Tip but what you spend on powder and expensive brass and dies for just a bit more performance has me thinking the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.
    I thought the G1 for the 197 was 780

I’m using R26

I have heard that reloder 26 toast throats faster Ben Hodgins 1,000 have you seen any results like that

I have heard that reloder 26 toast throats faster Ben Hodgins 1,000 have you seen any results like that
    I haven’t put the bore scope in my barrel but I did check the throat depth recently and it’s grown a lot less than expected.
    This is my first cut barrel and my first magnum but it’s maybe slightly more than normal growth I see in my buttoned 260 barrels.
    70% percent R26 in over 1100 rounds

Where did you say you live.... JK. I take it you are running a long action? What freebore do you recommend?
    I’m in SW Washington.
    Regular Sammi reamer and a short action but I do single feed the 190’s
    For hunting bullets around 160-170 my reamer is easily short action friendly but for 180-190’s to get on the lands OAL is a bit over 3” but you’ll need that OAL with H1000 and 7977.
    I ran the ELD 180 at mag length with a good jump at 2960 with R26 for quite a while and that load was awesome till they started blowing up.
    You absolutely couldn’t fit enough H1000 to get that speed at SA mag length.

I thought the G1 for the 197 was 780
    Your right
    I was thinking the G1 was .780 on the ATips.

I’m in SW Washington.
    Regular Sammi reamer and a short action but I do single feed the 190’s
    For hunting bullets around 160-170 my reamer is easily short action friendly but for 180-190’s to get on the lands OAL is a bit over 3” but you’ll need that OAL with H1000 and 7977.
    I ran the ELD 180 at mag length with a good jump at 2960 with R26 for quite a while and that load was awesome till they started blowing up.
    You absolutely couldn’t fit enough H1000 to get that speed at SA mag length.

Your right
    I was thinking the G1 was .780 on the ATips.
    I have heard some guys were claiming 8:23 to 8:36 but I haven't got them to do any testing yet

Comparing my new barrel to my old barrel(same smith and reamer) with 190 hybrids my throat has moved .035.

I’m actually surprised at that.

Yes g1 for the 197 smk. Seirra says .780 other guys have claimed .823
    That certainly changes things for the price if you have the horsepower
    Seems odd they’d underestimate it so much considering what a selling point BC is

That certainly changes things for the price if you have the horsepower
    Seems odd they’d underestimate it so much considering what a selling point BC is

The extra case capacity in the Sherman max with the 197 seems like a good match...

Yea, I’m sure it would be impressive.

But your right, the fire forming and die cost are a definite down side to the Sherman Max. Guess the fire forming would be a good break in period for a new barrel.

But your right, the fire forming and die cost are a definite down side to the Sherman Max. Guess the fire forming would be a good break in period for a new barrel.
    Yea
    I just found out you can fire form 7 saum to 7 max.
    that’s smart.
    Just dies.
    If I could just get a body die I might entertain it as I cut my own Lee collets for the neck.

Yea
    I just found out you can fire form 7 saum to 7 max.
    that’s smart.
    Just dies.
    If I could just get a body die I might entertain it as I cut my own Lee collets for the neck.
    Not sure if the body die works on those because it blows the body out along with the shoulder i could be wrong but if not that would be a great idea for cheaper dies

Reactions: Patrick61
    7 7 max body die of course.
    Do they make a 7 max body die? I love them short fat cases great performance out of them I want to go to 1 but then I think price of brass goes up then you got to fire form and the dies cost twice as much LOL

Do they make a 7 max body die? I love them short fat cases great performance out of them I want to go to 1 but then I think price of brass goes up then you got to fire form and the dies cost twice as much LOL
    I don’t mind the fire form but I’m particular on what dies I use and that was a major consideration why I didn’t go 7 SS
    I doubt a 7 max body die would be available.
    I doubt I’d go that route anyway.
    I’m quite smitten with 7?saum at the moment.

I don’t mind the fire form but I’m particular on what dies I use and that was a major consideration why I didn’t go 7 SS
    I doubt a 7 max body die would be available.
    I doubt I’d go that route anyway.
    I’m quite smitten with 7?saum at the moment.
    Yes and I believe he offers Hornady dies which I have come to like actually still like Forrester dies the best though. A long throated long action 7mm Saum is very intriguing to me that's what my friend did I let him test it out before I build me one LOL

Yes and I believe he offers Hornady dies which I have come to like actually still like Forrester dies the best though. A long throated long action 7mm Saum is very intriguing to me that's what my friend did I let him test it out before I build me one LOL

I believe all his new dies are Whidden. I maybe wrong though

Oh man big money lol don't they have to take a special press or am I thinking of the wrong ones

I think they are $250-$300... Not for sure. same press

Max die set.