• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes ***That Hensoldt Drop Video ***

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Here is the video I shot a while ago where I dropped the Harbinger and the Hensoldt 3-12X56FF off the top of the Kill House.

The initial drop was messed up as I switched rings and apparently didn't tighten them down all the way, so I felt it wasn't 100%, but after looking at it I decided to post it. So before you all go freaking out about the small shifts, note, I highly doubt any one of you would do that to $6,000 worth of your stuff, and frankly, I have no issue with any of the results.

So, I turned the comments off on the video, as I don't want the "never woulds' to armchair this without understanding the situation completely.

I will say, people at the SHC were looking at this scope and none could tell I dropped it more than once, it was completely unfazed.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IOrkHJmKc-U"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IOrkHJmKc-U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

So there you go, me dropping the scope and putting it out there.

Re: ***That Hensoldt Drop Video ***

What do you mean "frankly"?
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you mean "frankly"?
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

I mean Honestly speaking, I don't think people would understand the results and thus create a bit of static over it... so frankly speaking, it was really good despite the operator error.

Gotta hand it to you; no matter what you get or who you get it from; you are pretty unbiased. If these guys were smart they would send you things to evaulate accompanied by something shaped like a hourglass!
    grin.gif
    No worries, everyone has a kink in their armour!

I put everything together in one article on the main site, so you can see all the videos, commentary, etc in one place.
    3-12X56FF Article

After all the "I want to see the video" as much commentary for the number of views... I must be getting bad on this stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may say in the vid, couldn't hear it all, what's the height of that wall?</div></div>

Just about 10 feet to the top of the building give or take an inch. I figure about 3 meters at least.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how my Premier would fair....hmmmm....I don't have a kill house, but I do have a ladder
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

We threw the premiers off a rifle much farther, in fact we had several people try to see who could throw them the farthest & highest. It did nothing but stain the finish really. I still use the premier on my IRA/10 with no ill effects.

Well if it's been done then I guess I might as well not toss mine....on purpose at least. I wish VTi would send it back, I finally might have some time to shoot soon.

Good vids, thanks for sharing, maybe we should do it with a Leupold just to show what inferior asian scopes will do.

You may not be able to find all the pieces if you do. I had a 4.5x14 Leupy on my hunting trip last year. I lost my footing and slide down a slope a little. I had the rifle slung over my shoulder and it landed right on the elevation turret on a rock. Wasnt but a 2 foot drop. Luckily i didnt have a shot that morning. I checked my zero during lunch and it was 2.5" low and 1/2" right. I feel confident most of the leupolds would not withstand that test.

Who's the aussie with the multicam fetish? Im pretty impressed with the repeatability between scope swapping, still hitting steel after swapping twice.

Nice work Frank.

JJ

Not an aussie, just aussie inspired hat and patch... not bad for a 12.5" 308. He was an extra for the new transformer movie, transformer part dux.
    smile.gif

yeah looks like a nice compact rig.

While on the scope torture testing, where can i find the post/vids with the S&B and USO torture tests, i cant find them using search.

cheers,

JJ

Well done I appriciate the non gun rag editing so we get the whole story no BS. It adds great credibillity to the test.Thanks

That's hilarious. I'm sure most ppl, myself included cringed. It's funny, I beat the shit out of my work gun, but hate the thought of fukn up my personal stuff. It really is ridiculous bc my personal stuff is nicer/more suited to handle added "stress", ie Mk 4 leupold vs 5-25 SB. I guess it's different when it's your own money.

Thanks for the video.

I don't mind beating on my own stuff because it gives you peace of mind. If it takes a little "thump" it's no sweat because you knew it took a harder hit before with no problems. Confidence is priceless.

However, I usually don't intentionally beat on gear I can't afford to replace right away. I would love to do a torture test on my rifle and SN-3 when it arrives, but with my luck I would bust something and get a call out that night.
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not an aussie, just aussie inspired hat and patch... not bad for a 12.5" 308. He was an extra for the new transformer movie, transformer part dux.
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

LOL. I would think it would be getting a little warm down there for Multicam Man's hair style. What distance were the targets at for the POF .308?

That 12.5" shorty works great out to 600 yards, then starts to get a little crazy, it will reach 800 but not very well.

The target in the video was at 350.

Amazing... thanks, Lowlight! Even knowing everything turns out ok, watching the rifle and scope drop still made me a little sick... haha

I cringed when the rifle landed on the muzzle...I am thinking hope the crown OK....interesting video.

I know that it wasn't the main point of the video, but I've got a couple questions about the optics swap on the POF at the end of the video.

What mount was the acog in? (Looks like it could have been Larue)

It looked like the throw lever was on the right side of the rifle. Why that position over the standard left side?

Yeah, "only" a 6' drop... ha. I throw myself into a tizzy if my scope drags across the soft side of a velcro strap!

The Mount is the GDI RCOMM mount which is what the USMC uses...

the wall was 10', not 6" he is being an ass.

The crown is fine, besides its due for a new barrel anyway, in excess of 10k rounds I think I can get a new one.

I need to learn how you climb ladders. You only hit the first couple rungs then you appeared at the top of the wall.

Fuckin magic!