• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

That's not Varget! -- 6.5x47 Lapua

DeeGee

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Ventura County, Ca
I thought I had 4 8 pound jugs of Varget. Getting into the second, I dug out and opened the other box, to find it's Hodgdon Benchmark. I've been shooting 38.0 grains of Varget behind a 123 grain Scenar, quite happily. Any ideas where to start with the Benchmark? I searched online but could not locate relevant data. Is this powder worth trying here? I could save it for .308 loading down the road, or sell it and get something else. I've been experimenting with PowerPro 200 MR with decent results.

Re: That's not Varget! -- 6.5x47 Lapua

IMO, it burns way too fast for either 6.5 Lapua or 308 Winchester

Benchmark is beautiful for 6mm PPC.

I used it for a short stint with my 308. Beautiful, beautiful accuracy, but pathetic velocity. 175smk @ 2400 was max.

I don't know much about 6.5x47, but if Varget is a top choice like it is with 308, it is almost certainly faster than ideal for 6.5x47.

Yup.

Actually H4350 is another top choice for 6.5 Lapua, which is even slower than Varget!

Perhaps I should just keep buying Varget. The rifle shoots very well with it. I could avoid all this mucking about trying to find the Holy Grail. The rifle doesn't seem to care about the load - it shoots them all well. It's a Beanland.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask this guy;

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...706#Post3228706 </div></div>

Ah. Wow, OK. Looks like pretty good for the .308. Probably worth trying for the 6.5. My .308 needs a new barrel and everybody is booked solid, so I'll be without for a while.

nen hmark is good for lighter bullets in.308 and light or heavy bullets up to 77gr in .223.