• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Biggest Squirrel I've Ever Taken

Josh Smith

Mosin Fan
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Wabash IN
smith-sights.com
11/01/08

I stepped into the woods today to watch a deer. It's a mid-size doe that I'm keeping an eye on. It comes to the creek every day around 4:00pm to drink. It's crossed my mind that maybe I should shoot it, but this one seems to be more for watching than anything else. It usually gets within 10 to 25 yards of me before it shies off, depending on the day. It was feeling bold today and got pretty close.

I saw what I thought was a small wood chuck off about 30, 40 yards away. Only it was the wrong color. I slowly went prone, brought my "squirrel sniper" to my shoulder, chambering a round as I did so, and beheld the biggest danged squirrel I've seen outside of captivity rooting around on the ground. I turned the safety on and back off, making a loud clicking sound. (If you've ever dealt with the safety on a Romanian trainer, you know what I mean). Mr. Godzilla Squirrel stood up, I centered the crosshairs on its chest as its head was obscured, and squeezed one off.

daddyfoxsquirrel800xX.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">This is the biggest squirrel I have ever taken.</span>

The squirrel toppled and didn't even thrash. It was a very clean kill, and one I'm proud of.

The deer watched all this with interest, then went back to drinking.

While skinning the animal, I found that the bullet, a Winchester XPERT .22LR HP round, began expanding almost immediately. It nicked the spine, creating a secondary projectile of a vertebrae which went partially through some muscle on the back. The spinal shot would explain the lack of thrashing. The bullet exited, leaving a hole about .30". There is not much bloodshot meat however, and I'm very pleased.

This makes three squirrel in the freezer now, and I may pass up the squirrel stew and instead make something in the oven.

I still can't get over the size of that critter though!

Josh <><

Re: The Biggest Squirrel I've Ever Taken

looks like he was eating at sombodys bird feeder. the feeder eaters get really big.

Biggest squirrel I have ever seen lives in D.C. in the White House.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hammer47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Biggest squirrel I have ever seen lives in D.C. in the White House. </div></div>
Speaking of DC and Squirrels and DC, have you ever been to DC? I went for the first time 2 years ago and it almost blew my mind how many squirrels there were running all over the place with almost no fear of humans at all. I guess that's what happens in a city were people aren't allowed to own weapons or hunt?
frown.gif

looking at the coloration and size, it's probably a fox squirrel, which is more or less a gray on steroids, with reddish brown on the top of the paws, chest, and around the tail.

nice squirrel, now matter what it is. i had a recipe thread going in the hunting section awhile back on squirrel and such, that tree rat needs some extra care...

Hello,

I didn't weigh it - should have - but I approached it with my 1911 drawn
smile.gif
and it weighed at least twice what the full sized, fully loaded 1911 did.

As for cooking it, it took 24 hours in a Crock Pot and didn't really taste all that good.

Made something up - a recipe of my own - that had smoked sausage (<span style="font-style: italic">not</span> smoky links!) in there as well. The recipe calls for two squirrels.

I barely fit this one bad boy in there.

Josh <><

That squirrel must be on steroid!!! LOL. Nice shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1911 on down squirrels? what do you use on dead rabbits?
smile.gif
</div></div>

Makes cleaning a lot easier.

While bow hunting in IL., I repeatedly watched these fox squirrels carry full cobs of corn in their jaws, and walk into the woods. They are strong for their size, but this one is a hog.

I threw a couple zuchini out in the backyard and some rather large squirrels have been feeding on them . I haven't thought about shooting them but if I saw something even remotely that size his ass would be done for . I don't know if I would eat him but I would probably have him stuffed and set him out back as a warning to the rest of those suckers that have been tearing up my yard .

I shot a fat squirrel a little smaller than yours when I first got my small game license in MI about 1988 - it absorbed several shots of 12 Gauge, 2 3/4, #6 shot, field loads from a Remington 870....think I had a modified choke at the time. When I was cleaning it had numerous pellets embedded in the skin and fat, but very few pellets penetrated into the meat. That was the biggest squirrel I've seen and killed until I saw yours.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool story! What scope is that? </div></div>

The brand is Famous Maker. I never saw anything like it until I got my current Mueller. They seem to have been made by the same company - or at least parts of them look like they were, the turrets especially.

Josh <><

You put that squirrel out of its obesity misery...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

I didn't weigh it - should have - but I approached it with my 1911 drawn
smile.gif

Josh <>< </div></div>hahahahaha that made my day LOL!

It has no neck...

It's a good thing you had that Hatchet, with a squirrel that Big I know I would want some Backup.............

If I were you I would staple some antlers on and send it to get
measured for a B & C score. Great story and good picture.

At first I thought maybe the little fellow was pregnant but maybe it has a thyroid problem but we will never know because you killed it.

LOL we used to run the feeders year round, well anyway I was sitting in the stand opening morning and I noticed some movement at the feeder. Pulled out the Bino's and noticed 4 HUGE ones. This went on every day, feeder goes off then they would pop out and have breakfast. I never did shoot one but for all the corn they must have chewed up it would have been some expensive ass meat. I would bet your example is very well fed if you get to looking around. Hell it might even have a flat screen and fridge in its house as big as it is.

Hell I bet your example would give the average housecat a run for its money!

This post looks very familiar (only it seems that I saw it a long while ago on another forum)
wink.gif

When I was out hunting by a corn field for deer season opener last week I saw some squirrels that I initially thought were cats. They were HUGE!

I think i'll take my oldest daughter out hunting, and maybe we'll hit up that field and get some man eating squirrels. Now, do I take the .22, or the .308?

Branden

Man, that is a HUGE fox squirrel!

We don't have fox squirrels here in NY, but the grays do get pretty hefty. I've seen monster grays carrying whole corn cobs through the woods several hundred yards off the corn field. And across a stream, no less!

Late season, I love sitting in one of our deerstands & sniping grays with the .17m2...

that is definatly a monster squirrel, wonder if he could still climb?

Alas I think the coyotes keep the squirrels in check in my neighborhood. That is a HUGE squirrel! It would look pretty cool if it were mounted. Nice shot!

It looks big enough to make a rug out of. I would do an english style mount on the skull.

firsttrophy-2.jpg

Here's a picture of my son with two squirrels I shot with him one day. The gray weighed about a pound, the fox came in right at 3 lbs. I had it stuffed and mounted because it was, and still is, the biggest squirrel I ever saw. The taxidermist had to order the biggest form that he could get to stuff into that thing.

One shot from my 541-S.

541S-2.jpg

I only go for head shots on squirrels. Much more sporting and better practice.

Fast Ed

Never have I seen a squirrel that big, FOX or Elephant or whatever.
if it barely fit in a crock pot it had to be big.

thanks for sharing I have shown this to a few people who say its Photoshop edited.
Bill