• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Fix from Q

Man I’m glad I held out on buying the fix. I hop all this bs gets ironed out one day cause I love the idea of a 5 lb bolt gun
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much, it sounds like they -have- been improving their processes over time as some folks have gotten new receivers, barrels have changed, etc.

YES - they have DO a douche-bro social media presence, but I do feel like they are turning out a good product. It could totally be my confirmation bias, I get it.

I have a serial <100 and it has only been back once early on for Q's bolt fix, which ended up being requested by them when I contacted them with an unrelated question.

Reactions: craigos
Has anyone replaced the big butt pad (not the whole subassembly, just the sliding piece). There was a dude on instagram showed how to do it last week and misplaced the damn url. Basically he showed , using a pick, how the button you depress to slide the pad up and down you need to remove and slide the butt pad off and slide the new one on

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much, it sounds like they -have- been improving their processes over time as some folks have gotten new receivers, barrels have changed, etc.

YES - they have DO a douche-bro social media presence, but I do feel like they are turning out a good product. It could totally be my confirmation bias, I get it.

I have a serial <100 and it has only been back once early on for Q's bolt fix, which ended up being requested by them when I contacted them with an unrelated question.

Ditto as you brother

Reactions: claytonm
Has anyone replaced the big butt pad (not the whole subassembly, just the sliding piece). There was a dude on instagram showed how to do it last week and misplaced the damn url. Basically he showed , using a pick, how the button you depress to slide the pad up and down you need to remove and slide the butt pad off and slide the new one on

I posted some instructions on here when it first came out, they should get you there if I made them clear enough.

Any you fellers have a Plan B collecting dust in your parts bin?

Has anyone swapped out the 2 stage trigger? Or is it propitiatory? Shooting F Class, would love to have a trigger with a pull of 10-12oz.

It's proprietary. No aftermarket options as far as i know.

The trigger is unlike all others in that it simply presses into the sear that is enclosed in the bolt. You can't lighten or change trigger characteristics in the second stage unless you tweak and polish the sear assembly inside the bolt.

Reactions: C_R_Slacker
was there ever a published cause for heavy bolt lift? i’ve had my fix almost 2 years now and never had a problem. the last few pig eradication’s i’ve had heavy lift on a few rounds.

heavy lift is erratic and unpredictable, gun is clean so no issues there and i can’t replicate it, just randomly every so often. Whether shooting subs or supers it happens randomly. .308 20” and 16” tooley barrels, heavy lift on both randomly so i don’t think it’s a barrel issue.

i’ve contacted q, they wouldn’t tell me why it happens. Just curious to the thoughts here.

was there ever a published cause for heavy bolt lift? i’ve had my fix almost 2 years now and never had a problem. the last few pig eradication’s i’ve had heavy lift on a few rounds.

heavy lift is erratic and unpredictable, gun is clean so no issues there and i can’t replicate it, just randomly every so often. Whether shooting subs or supers it happens randomly. .308 20” and 16” tooley barrels, heavy lift on both randomly so i don’t think it’s a barrel issue.

i’ve contacted q, they wouldn’t tell me why it happens. Just curious to the thoughts here.

Pressure issues with your ammo?

Reactions: _308_
Pressure issues with your ammo?

not seeing any pressure signs on there cases. box ammo on the supersonic stuff, mostly Federal GMM and hornady precision hunter. i can’t imagine i’d see pressure issues with subsonic rounds either, but i’m not a reloading or ammo expert so it’s possible i guess.

the heavy lift isn’t bad, just noticeable every not and then.

not seeing any pressure signs on there cases. box ammo on the supersonic stuff, mostly Federal GMM and hornady precision hunter. i can’t imagine i’d see pressure issues with subsonic rounds either, but i’m not a reloading or ammo expert so it’s possible i guess.

the heavy lift isn’t bad, just noticeable every not and then.
I never noticed it either - but Q will prob want it back to apply whatever their 'fix' is to it - I emailed them about a different question and they sent me a label a while back.

I will contact them and see if they will support their barrel.

Well, I contacted Proof and went back and forth with them showing pictures and videos. Bottom line is that:

"Alright so our engineers here spoke to their engineers, and what they had said is that rifle is optimized around a 308WIN cartridge, so there are a few things that you can do that should help with the feeding issues of the rifle!
What they had said is that their rifle tends to like the lighter 6.5CM rounds over the heavier. Also, if you are handloading they had recommended to load them on the shorter side for better feeding.
Finally, they had said if you run the bolt a little on the fast side it should help with the feeding as well.
I hope that is able to help!"

So the bottom line is that "optimized around a 308WIN cartridge" basically means it's an un-correctable design flaw. I might yet take my Dremel to it with a felt polishing cone and polishing rouge to remove just a tiny amount of material and slick up the chamfer.

Well, I contacted Proof and went back and forth with them showing pictures and videos. Bottom line is that:

"Alright so our engineers here spoke to their engineers, and what they had said is that rifle is optimized around a 308WIN cartridge, so there are a few things that you can do that should help with the feeding issues of the rifle!
What they had said is that their rifle tends to like the lighter 6.5CM rounds over the heavier. Also, if you are handloading they had recommended to load them on the shorter side for better feeding.
Finally, they had said if you run the bolt a little on the fast side it should help with the feeding as well.
I hope that is able to help!"

So the bottom line is that "optimized around a 308WIN cartridge" basically means it's an un-correctable design flaw. I might yet take my Dremel to it with a felt polishing cone and polishing rouge to remove just a tiny amount of material and slick up the chamfer.

That's pretty much what I figured out with my 6CM barrel, the extension and bolt are not meant the long skinny bullets in a short case. My 105gr Berger's get mangled if you run it fast and wont feed if run slow but the 108gr Hornady's with the plastic tip work fine(ish) because the tip is flexible; so maybe the plastic tipped 6.5 bullets will act the same way. This leaves me with pretty much only Hornady bullets if I want to go heavy. Makes me wonder how a 243 or 260 would do but this doesn't bode well for a $3K rifle.

Reactions: Rootshot
They have some instock on the Q website

For what can. Plan Bs are can specific. I have a "Charlie" one that wouldnt go on my saker 556 (then again it wouldnt go on my saker 762 that had one on it) so i spoke to Q they sent me a new one at the same time sent the can to SiCo to check the threads. When it came back Q had me a new one , it worked so used it. The old one is still sitting in my reloading room.

For the folks asking about the spec of the chamfer here you go.
Screenshot_20200826-083921_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Anyone have a plug and/or want to get rid of kac 10 rounders?
I have an ad in the for sale section.

Reactions: Gotlag1789
Has anyone with a Mini Fix experienced the same feeding and bolt lift problems that the full-size has experienced?

Kinda thinking of playing around with the Mini. Any recommendations on a smith that could spin up a 6mm X 6.8 barrel? Anyone have access to barrel extensions?

And while I’m dreaming, any word on bigger bolt face to run .300WSM in the Fix

Pro-tip:

If you get a new 16” 6.5 CM, it won’t shoot for about 40 rounds.

Clean -
Shoot 20
Clean
Shoot 10
Clean
Shoot 10 and start enjoying it.

4 in a row did this. 2”+ groups for the first 30-40 rounds.

I went to the Kit Badger coast to coast finale at JTAC Ranch last Friday just to shoot the mini fix.... Holy hell was that thing sweet and I need one now. Had no problem smacking 200 yard mini IPSC’s and 400yard full size IPSC’s with subs and holding over with a 1-6 eotech I believe it was.

That gun easily got 2000 rounds put through it and was trucking along dirty and hot AF.

Shot a HBSD for the first time too. Was sweet AF as well. It was nasty dirty from just getting gang raped non stop by people there and no malfunctions.

Q makes awesome shit and makes it right.

I shot some small primer brass in the 6 creed I had and there were zero issues. Even getting up into pressures in load development that started getting some ejector swipes there wasn’t even any primer cratering. 100% good to go.

I shot some small primer brass in the 6 creed I had and there were zero issues. Even getting up into pressures in load development that started getting some ejector swipes there wasn’t even any primer cratering. 100% good to go.

Sweet, that's what I wanted to hear. I just bought a case of berger 6 creed and didn't know they were small ones. Heading to the range now to go see how they group, as well as, the 103 and 105 hornady's.

Anybody having issues of ridiculous tight bolt lift and can’t even run the bolt? With no ammo or after firing factory ammo. All the same can’t cycle the bolt at all Unless you use all your strength . Brand new with 308 proof barrel. Do they not check rifles before sending them out?

Last edited:
Reactions: Concrete shooter
I’ve had to send mine back for warranty work twice. the second time was heavy bolt lift. only after shooting though, no pressure signs on cases. call Q they turned it around quick and were very helpful on the phone.

Also 308 proof

If you have feeding issues with the Fix rifle first thing to do is purchase the Lancer L7AWM 10 round magazine or the KAC if you can find them. The Lancer mags are about $43.00 but they are worth it. The Pmags simply do not work reliably and should be given to a friend who has a use for them. Run the bolt with authority. If you have tried this and it still doesn't work then something else is wrong. One problem at a time.
The only time I have had heavy bolt lift is when my reloads are too hot. Again you must run the bolt with authority. YMMV

As much as I despise SIG-USA, I’m not even mad they ripped off Kevin. At least they’re using a proper magazine.

Sig ripping of Kevin?!?!?! Ha! That’s Rich. Try the opposite, and he didn’t even do a good job at it.

If you have feeding issues with the Fix rifle first thing to do is purchase the Lancer L7AWM 10 round magazine or the KAC if you can find them. The Lancer mags are about $43.00 but they are worth it. The Pmags simply do not work reliably and should be given to a friend who has a use for them. Run the bolt with authority. If you have tried this and it still doesn't work then something else is wrong. One problem at a time.
The only time I have had heavy bolt lift is when my reloads are too hot. Again you must run the bolt with authority. YMMV

I've diagnosed this ad-nauseum including sending the rifle back to Q only to have the same issues. Asking people to run the bolt with authority works, but just covers up for a design / manufacturing flaw. Extract the rounds you slam in and inspect the tips of the bullets. The real issue is that when a 6.5mm bullet rides up the barrel extension, the centerline of the bullet barely misses the chamfer into the chamber and hits the perpendicular end of the barrel. The chamfer needs the be altered. I plated with the Lancer mag including bending feed lips - no luck.

I've diagnosed this ad-nauseum including sending the rifle back to Q only to have the same issues. Asking people to run the bolt with authority works, but just covers up for a design / manufacturing flaw. Extract the rounds you slam in and inspect the tips of the bullets. The real issue is that when a 6.5mm bullet rides up the barrel extension, the centerline of the bullet barely misses the chamfer into the chamber and hits the perpendicular end of the barrel. The chamfer needs the be altered. I plated with the Lancer mag including bending feed lips - no luck.
When I chambered my barrel I found this out. Had to put it back into the lathe and make the chamfer much larger. Absolute butter now.

When I chambered my barrel I found this out. Had to put it back into the lathe and make the chamfer much larger. Absolute butter now.
Wow! That is interesting. This photo is my Q 308 barrel that Dave Tooley used for the barrel extension on my new Tooley 6.5 barrel. You can see the chamfer on this barrel is minor. Do you have any pictures of your barrel after you made the chamfer larger, before you put the extension back on? I would like to see
Q Fix 308.jpg
how much larger you made the chamfer.

Attachments

• Q Fix LC 308.jpg
    Q Fix LC 308.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 81
Wow! That is interesting. This photo is my Q 308 barrel that Dave Tooley used for the barrel extension on my new Tooley 6.5 barrel. You can see the chamfer on this barrel is minor. Do you have any pictures of your barrel after you made the chamfer larger, before you put the extension back on? I would like to seeView attachment 7462041 how much larger you made the chamfer.
I would call that a large chamfer, and larger than mine was initially. How does yours work? I think I have some before pics, but no after pics.