• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The GAP Butthurt thread (formerly 6mm GT)

images

ZomboMeme 08022019205636.jpg

We'll let the free market decide just how good this new cartridge is. The free market always sorts out the winners and losers. I can see how some shooters would adopt it over the Dasher. Going to be extremely hard for 6mm CM guys to justify switching to the GT. Again, lets let the free market sort it out.

I live near GAP and have not done business with them. This due to having great working relationships with LRI, TBA, Gre Tan and many others.
That being said, it is hard to imagine George reading this thread and not being offended. The guy has really supported long range shooting and innovation with the investment of his time and treasure. It may or may not have been a good investment. I have no idea. I see no reason to offend a guy who has spend much of his life supporting what we all do. …..

RTH

yup, thats why i posted before that i think he is ahead of the curve.
top smith, competitor, and marketing.

Reactions: RTH1800
It warms my heart to see all the “gay tiger” memes for this new “best”? 6mil cartridge. I have to laugh thinking about all the poor dumb bastards that just got a rifle built in some other 6mm cartridge, and think they should seLL or rebarrel to the new wiz bang GT
I don't think that anyone here is saying that. And if someone wants to rebarrel their gun to try something new so what? Aren't you in the gun business? I am sure you have benefited from the same "dumb bastards". You are not doing your employer any justice by saying things like this in a public forum.

I just don’t see the advertised velocities happening without running nuclear loads that will trash brass and run into pressure issues with the slightest hint of moisture. Not saying it’s not possible, but I don’t think it’s doable while keeping things safe too.

What’s advertised is just under what’s safe with 6 Creed. Doing it with 10-20% less powder in a similar case design... I just don’t see it.

Not saying it won’t be a good round and I’m happy to see Alpha brass instead of Hornady this time around.

rth1800 said:
That being said, it is hard to imagine George reading this thread and not being offended.

I would hope that George, at this point in his career and business, wouldn't give two shits what a bunch of smartasses on an internet gun forum happen to think about his latest chambering, let alone become 'offended' by it.

Personally I think 6mmGT seems like a solution in search of a problem, but it is fair to say that has NEVER stopped a gun plumber, gear whore, enthusiast, wildcatter or 'why not try something different?' type in the history of ever.

It's y'alls money, spend it however ya want...

...just keep the memes rolling.

Last edited:
W
I don't think that anyone here is saying that. And if someone wants to rebarrel their gun to try something new so what? Aren't you in the gun business? I am sure you have benefited from the same "dumb bastards". You are not doing your employer any justice by saying things like this in a public forum.

Well its the newest so it has to be the best? Right? High amount of sarcasm there btw.

Trying new stuff, nothing wrong with that at all. My comment was, literally just what it says. Plenty of guys out there like that.

Im not currently in the gun biz. More than happy to say I dont work for sac any longer.

One question? Was this what George Gardener was shooting at The Open Range Shooter’s Retreat, last year in OK, when he hit 9 of 10 @ 1,500 yards? This was not a mile shoot, mind you, but a regular PRS match. I think the next best on that stage was 3. I hit all around it and never connected. I was squaded behind him, and we kept hearing cheering. Pretty soon everyone stopped shooting and just watched him. Someone said he was shooting a wildcat of his own design. Is this it?

He’s a heck of a good guy, makes really nice rifles, and shoots in a lot of matches. I wonder if any of you calling him a liar in a public forum are going to go up to him and confront him to his face with his “lies”?
giphy.gif
George was running a 6.5 prc at that match. Next was 6 hits with a 6.5x47

When people have a fit over a new wildcat, I imagine they are like the .308 people who said 6.5 Creedmoor would never catch on.

Personally, I think 6GT should probably roll out smoother than .224 Valkyrie did.

If it sucks people will figure that out quickly. If it actually delivers on the claims, all of the people that bought in to another 6mm and are trying to shit on 6GT will look foolish.

The frugal decision is to see how it shakes out and wait for a new gun purchase or rebarrel before considering which chambering you want.

I don't care how other people spend their money so I'm happy to see people enjoying lots of wildcats.

If it actually delivers on the claims, all of the people that bought in to another 6mm and are trying to shit on 6GT will look foolish.

6GT: Go the same speed as a dasher with just 1 gr more powder and less pressure!
6x47: Go the same speed as a 6GT with just 1 gr more powder and less pressure!
6xc: you get the idea... LOL

The frugal decision is to see how it shakes out and wait for a new gun purchase or rebarrel before considering which chambering you want.

... only problem with that is there are - literally - a dozen plus chamberings that do - literally - the same exact thing.

I heard there was a break in at GAP, APB for an English guy out of Florida. Left a note that said “your gt stinks, our new grt is way better, say anything and we will sue!”
0DAF63CF-35F3-4B5C-9DE8-E986649DE4B3.jpeg

The claims that seem interesting to me are feeding from magazines without modification and longer barrel life.

Ballistics should be very similar to other cartridges but that's about all you can ask for.

Of course if someone comes out with something better, I would like to see that too.

The Saum had super long barrel life too, neglected to mention setting the chamber back after the throat burns away 4x to get it

Only thing I wanna say and have wanted to for years is. Yes gap makes good rifles but they are no better than what I build in my small shop or any number of other quality gun builders on these pages. He has done well in marketing and giving back and that deserves a lot of credit no doubt. But this new cartridge is just another flavore of the same old things. I still think the Norma dasher brass is the best thing that's come out in a while. Lapua is better brass but for a PRS match, norma is just fine and if you loose a piece or two, big whoop. Controlled round feed and a dasher is all you'll ever need in this game!!
Lee Gardner Precision

Semi-necro post bump, but meme progress is being made:

I'm starting to wonder if GAP is embracing the meme as a marketing strategy, and if so, well done. It's working on me, assuming Alpha brass and dies are available and performance is as claimed, I'm on board for my next build.

The way I see it, even people making fun of it is good advertising because it's being talked about. It is better than not being discussed at all.

Everyone here is talking about it. Has anyone seen or shot it yet?

Reactions: Deej

Semi-necro post bump, but meme progress is being made:

I'm starting to wonder if GAP is embracing the meme as a marketing strategy, and if so, well done. It's working on me, assuming Alpha brass and dies are available and performance is as claimed, I'm on board for my next build.

Paradigm = me, me = Paradigm. I'm enjoying the memes and we plan on doing many more "creative" engravings. Its freaking great for advertising. Be on the lookout soon for more fun stuff.

Reactions: Eric_F
not to pick on GAP:
but as a side note, GAP used to be the talk of the town on this site.
if you did have a GAP on order you werent cool.
What happened?
falling out with Frank etc?
None Whatsoever, Frank and I have been friends for decades. We got Super Busy and build about 10x the rifles we did back then. I still cruise the SH Site And get a good chuckle from threads like this one.

for the Record we have helped develop 4 cartridges total in 22 years. That’s hardly 1 every year

6mm Creedmoor was just a neck down and we made it possible for guys to buy brass for 3 years before Hornady came out with it.

6.5 SAUM. For a LR 6.5 Without a belt. It’s still very popular today regardless of what guys say here. 3 different brass makers, Thousands of happy customers.

6.5 PRC, Probably the 2nd most popular hunting cartridge Hornady has ever loaded. Might even be #1. It’s popularity speaks for itself.

6mm GT, Well 1 million pieces of brass and counting, The last 150 k sold in 2 weeks. If you load it to what it was designed to do it works flawlessly. The US Army AMU is shooting it and they can shoot whatever they want . It’s just barely started and there are way more good things to come trust me!!! Options will be huge.

I’ve Missed You guys you can always feel free to have a laugh at my expense. I’ve got thick Skin!!

None Whatsoever, Frank and I have been friends for decades. We got Super Busy and build about 10x the rifles we did back then. I still cruise the SH Site And get a good chuckle from threads like this one.

for the Record we have helped develop 4 cartridges total in 22 years. That’s hardly 1 every year

6mm Creedmoor was just a neck down and we made it possible for guys to buy brass for 3 years before Hornady came out with it.

6.5 SAUM. For a LR 6.5 Without a belt. It’s still very popular today regardless of what guys say here. 3 different brass makers, Thousands of happy customers.

6.5 PRC, Probably the 2nd most popular hunting cartridge Hornady has ever loaded. Might even be #1. It’s popularity speaks for itself.

6mm GT, Well 1 million pieces of brass and counting, The last 150 k sold in 2 weeks. If you load it to what it was designed to do it works flawlessly. The US Army AMU is shooting it and they can shoot whatever they want . It’s just barely started and there are way more good things to come trust me!!! Options will be huge.

I’ve Missed You guys you can always feel free to have a laugh at my expense. I’ve got thick Skin!!
Is it still likely Hornady will load 6GT from the factory?

Reactions: reubenski
I have 3 rifles set up for it. Basically a toned down 6cm that feeds better than BR. Had ALD spin up a barrel for a fn spr and formed brass. Was delighted when gap got the hornady brass in. Then got a fn set up from get go for it and loving it. Then RO’ed at vapor trail and Shannon Kay won and donated. The alpha & omega that Caleb Morris do rated and my name got drew. That thing is a hammer and I haven’t even done load development on it. First 4 rounds after sighting in went through the same hole when I realized I pulled the 5th. Great round.

Reactions: reubenski