• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Since I'm concerned only about using this on the MRAD I'd like to know users preferences on suppressors. It seems the TBAC is preferred, but after a week I can find no one hashes one in stock and I'd like to get the paperwork going. I was considering the SilencerCo Hybrid 46, but now I'm favoring the Barrett AM338. I need a QD system and the Barrett works with the Barrett muzzle devices included on barrels. I dont care about the weight. POI shift, support, and durability are my biggest concerns. All of my other cans use Plan A, but as I said this can will stay on the MRAD 100% of the time. Im not terribly concerned about price as long as the value is there. I have the 24" 308, 26" 300PRC on the way hopefully, and 338 Lapua.

I love that flat trigger on the rifle in the video. Its the only thing I would chage on my MRAD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luka

MKM Adaptive Precision Grip​

thanks. I picked what i thought i would like and got the basics. i am supposing i can add the other items later if need be.

Reactions: Luka
Seems there is a limited run release of MRAD scopes that clone or what the military is getting now available to order - I looked at the sites but could not find them.

Limited production runs, 300 units each, of two Nightforce contract riflescopes have been released to select dealers.
The Squad Variable Power Scope (S-VPS) is the MIL-SPEC ATACR™ 1-8x24mm F1 and includes the accompanying accessories, mounting kit, tools, and manuals all in the commemorative hard case.
The Precision Variable Power Scope (P-VPS) is the MIL-SPEC ATACR™ 7-35x56mm F1 and includes the accompanying accessories, mounting kit, tools, and manuals all in the commemorative hard case.
The limited release of these riflescopes is available while supplies last from these select dealers:

EuroOptic
Mile High Shooting Accessories
MidwayUSA
Sport Optics

Seems there is a limited run release of MRAD scopes that clone or what the military is getting now available to order - I looked at the sites but could not find them.

Limited production runs, 300 units each, of two Nightforce contract riflescopes have been released to select dealers.
The Squad Variable Power Scope (S-VPS) is the MIL-SPEC ATACR™ 1-8x24mm F1 and includes the accompanying accessories, mounting kit, tools, and manuals all in the commemorative hard case.
The Precision Variable Power Scope (P-VPS) is the MIL-SPEC ATACR™ 7-35x56mm F1 and includes the accompanying accessories, mounting kit, tools, and manuals all in the commemorative hard case.
The limited release of these riflescopes is available while supplies last from these select dealers:

EuroOptic
Mile High Shooting Accessories
MidwayUSA
Sport Optics
Dang it!. I bought my 2nd ATACR 7-35 in FDE and got the NF mount which is the same as the MK-22 but has different markings. Would have loved to have had the actual scope. :confused:

What is the extra knob on top of the turret and where can I get one?

Reactions: BURZ
Any idea why SOCOM went with non illuminated?
I've seen them call that particular C676 model a "day-optic", so I'm assuming illumination just wasn't necessary with the night-vision gear SOCOM undoubtedly has.

Reactions: BURZ
I just have to say meh. 10k, one caliber, fixed stock. Hard pass for now. Lower the price to 8k (still overpriced) with availability of multiple calibers down to 308 (not hard to do imop) and I would buy one tomorrow and sell the mrad.
If you look at their website they have a single shot follower for the MRAD ELR. Buy a .416 barrel makers kit and you could spin up a 50BMG barrel for it. I've heard Barrett may do a 50bmg conversion for it. They're likely trying to figure where it would cannibalize sales from.

I really feel like the 41XC is very close in performance to the 416 Barrett at comparable barrel lengths so the price of admission for the full MRADELR is exorbitant compared to a standard MRAD barrel kit in 41XC. The only things you give up from the 416 is the ability to mag feed, a heavier rifle, an overbore cartridge (shorter barrel life), and $10 brass. Southern Precision is working on a 41XC maker's kit for me. Trying to decide between a 24 or 26" Barrel to keep it "compact". My 33" Cadex is doing 2865-75 fps with the WF 505gr. Hoping the 26" would be in the ballpark of 2650-2700fps which is still in "beast" territory.
@Swatdude1 I recall you had a 33xc did you do a 37xc? I have two barrels for the mrad in 37xc one at 28inches from LRI with a .375 can from elite iron and a 35inch one with muzzle brake that Spartan did. Early load development is pushing 2800(H50BMG)-2950(H1000) with 390 a-tips from the 28 inch one. The 35 inch one shoots great with some of the loads from the 28in development but I havenot chrono'd it yet. Left donut sized marks on steel at 500yds.

ls jumping up to the 41xc worth it and have you tried the 500grn A-tips or N570? Surprisingly the bc on the .416's is a little lower(hundredths and thousandths) than the .375's according to the Hornday data. .375=.987 (G1) .497 (G7) .416= .976 (G1) .492 (G7)

Last edited:
@Swatdude1 I recall you had a 33xc did you do a 37xc? I have two barrels for the mrad in 37xc one at 28inches from LRI with a .375 can from elite iron and a 35inch one with muzzle brake that Spartan did. Early load development is pushing 2800(H50BMG)-2950(H1000) with 390 a-tips from the 28 inch one. The 35 inch one shoots great with some of the loads from the 28in development but I havenot chrono'd it yet. Left donut sized marks on steel at 500yds.

ls jumping up to the 41xc worth it and have you tried the 500grn A-tips or N570? Surprisingly the bc on the .416's is a little lower(hundredths and thousandths) than the .375's according to the Hornday data. .375=.987 (G1) .497 (G7) .416= .976 (G1) .492 (G7)
You are correct. I did an MRAD maker's kit in 33XC and recently completed a CADEX chassis build in 41XC. I looked at .375 but figured 41XC was probably where I would max out due to cost of anything bigger like the 416 Hellfire. My first and current load is the WF 505g with Tubb ring using H1000. I have not tried the A-tips in the 500gr. Basically jumping to the 41XC, the only cost difference is the bullet and a few more grains of powder. The WF 505 is $3.80 per bullet. I just saw A-tips for $1.50 per round which might make me reconsider. They are obviously better than a copper solid for splash, cost, hunting and barrel life, with the trade off being lower BC. WF is radar certified at G7 .595 vs A-tip at .493 which is pretty significant in energy down range. The WF is still supersonic at 1.5 miles vs. A-tip. WF is 1579 ftlbs and 27mils vs. 1208 ftlbs and 33mils. Always tradeoffs but might be leaning towards the A-tips for my shorter barreled 41XC makers kit.

Reactions: thedude824
For those wondering L-R: 6.5saum with 130berger, 300 Norma with 220 Berger and 37xc with 390 A-Tip.
IMG_4166.jpeg

Last edited:
I noticed this had sort of been covered before, and i'm still looking for posts, but i'm having some issues with the MRAD's trigger.

I can't lower the trigger pull weight lower than 4lbs. Even with the set screw fully removed. I can occasionally get it to 3lbs 7.8oz. but then it goes back up to over 4lbs again (average taken from 10 trigger pulls).
The gauge is solid and the other triggers I tested were where they needed to be.
Other thing is the creep but from what i've found, creep is pretty normal.
The gun costing so much, i'm not really keen to go and buy a timney trigger to drop in it before i know if the trigger i faulty or within normal specs.
I've spoken to the dealer and they said the trigger should go down to around 2 lbs.
I've emailed barrett but it's too early for a return yet.
Any advice?
Thanks
Carso

AnD WhAtS tHe DeAl With NO BaGrIdeRs?
You got shopping bags, school bags, bags to go camping, bags for hiking, bags for when Nan goes hiking and doesn't come back down.
You Got bags FOR everything! We AlL GoT BaGs!
We Got SO MANY BAGS we need bags to put our bags IN!
You go to a PRS competition and guys got so many bags it looks like a catholic beenie baby family reunion - coz catholics, they don't approve of the little green bags you see....
But Here's Barrett!
Multi cal, multi barrel, folding, oscilating, fully adjustable you name it! Thing is like a swiss army knife had sex with the second amendment and a bald eagle.
But No BaG RiDeR!?
10 Grand Rifle, top of the line, latest edition, Military tested and adopted.... but you want a bag rider? Well my friend, that's extra and they are only released between 8 and 12 every solar eclipse and Barrett needs a virgin sacrifice.....
Anyone fancy a trip to reddit to get some volunteers?

seinfeld.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Ehtacs
Now if you're just expressing your belief that you shouldn't have to pay for a bag-rider ... then I get that ... but you might want to consider a cheaper hobby. Maybe collecting local butterflies, or something like that. :ROFLMAO: 🦋

I noticed this had sort of been covered before, and i'm still looking for posts, but i'm having some issues with the MRAD's trigger.

I can't lower the trigger pull weight lower than 4lbs. Even with the set screw fully removed. I can occasionally get it to 3lbs 7.8oz. but then it goes back up to over 4lbs again (average taken from 10 trigger pulls).
The gauge is solid and the other triggers I tested were where they needed to be.
Other thing is the creep but from what i've found, creep is pretty normal.
The gun costing so much, i'm not really keen to go and buy a timney trigger to drop in it before i know if the trigger i faulty or within normal specs.
I've spoken to the dealer and they said the trigger should go down to around 2 lbs.
I've emailed barrett but it's too early for a return yet.
Any advice?
Thanks
Carso
Go back and read my posts on page 47 in this thread. The trigger is stupid simple and you can carefully file out the creep and replace the second stage spring. You will be responsible for making it safe functioning.

This reminded me of a strip club ... kind of like hiring a MRAD for a video lap-dance. 🤔
anyone know what grip that is? I'm running Masterpiece Arms vertical grip with thumb shelf I had to modify to fit.

кто-нибудь знает, что это за ручка? Я использую вертикальную рукоятку Masterpiece Arms с полкой для большого пальца, которую мне пришлось модифицировать, чтобы она подошла.

Thanks! Also didn't know I'm fluent in Russian?

Anyone have their MRAD in either 37XC or 33XC? How do you like the MRAD with either of those cartridges?

Also, is the cost to chamber a MRAD any different than say a typical R700 clone? I’m ignorant if gunsmiths are charging more to put the barrel extension on the new barrel or removing an old extension from a previous barrel to reuse.

Anyone have their MRAD in either 37XC or 33XC? How do you like the MRAD with either of those cartridges?

Also, is the cost to chamber a MRAD any different than say a typical R700 clone? I’m ignorant if gunsmiths are charging more to put the barrel extension on the new barrel or removing an old extension from a previous barrel to reuse.
Love mine in 37xc. @Swatdude1 has 33xc and 41XC.

Cost is not much different for gunsmiths. $500-650 is what I’ve paid to chamber and install the extension. The extras hit for muzzle thread and cerakote etc.

If you already own an mrad it’s the cheapest way to turn it into an elr rig for beyond 2000 yards. 300 Norma or 338 lapua will get you out there but there is something to be said for launching a 390 a tip at close to 3000fps.

Love mine in 37xc. @Swatdude1 has 33xc and 41XC.

Cost is not much different for gunsmiths. $500-650 is what I’ve paid to chamber and install the extension. The extras hit for muzzle thread and cerakote etc.

If you already own an mrad it’s the cheapest way to turn it into an elr rig for beyond 2000 yards. 300 Norma or 338 lapua will get you out there but there is something to be said for launching a 390 a tip at close to 3000fps.

I have the 33XC for my AXSR and a 37XC for my TacDriver action. I’m thinking about an MRAD because they seem more cost effective. For instance, most barrels that I purchase are HV for my Zeus action. So, switching to an MRAD changes nothing in that regard. Then considering how the other bolts are actually affordable and you can re-used barrel extension or if you get a barrel makers kit you end up with extra bolts (hopefully the headspace is the same if not you still have a spare bolt if the other shits the bed). Timney has a decent looking trigger that seems dramatically easier to get to and adjust than say my AXSR.

I’m curious how the bolt lift is on the MRAD? My Zeus action is my preferred standard for non-90 degree bolts and it is nice. My AXSR is ok. My ATX is horrible even after thousands of rounds.

I’m curious how the bolt lift is on the MRAD? My Zeus action is my preferred standard for non-90 degree bolts and it is nice. My AXSR is ok. My ATX is horrible even after thousands of rounds.
It’s nothing like an AI.

I have the 33XC for my AXSR and a 37XC for my TacDriver action. I’m thinking about an MRAD because they seem more cost effective. For instance, most barrels that I purchase are HV for my Zeus action. So, switching to an MRAD changes nothing in that regard. Then considering how the other bolts are actually affordable and you can re-used barrel extension or if you get a barrel makers kit you end up with extra bolts (hopefully the headspace is the same if not you still have a spare bolt if the other shits the bed). Timney has a decent looking trigger that seems dramatically easier to get to and adjust than say my AXSR.

If you already have the AXSR, with the Lapua bolt face for the 33XC, then it’s already more cost-effective. You can get another barrel, spun up for it and all the mrad will do to do is cost you more money.

Reactions: JB.IC
Do you have a sense of how much better or worse? I’m pretty sure my ATX bolt lift is what put the Titanic on its side.
Worlds better than any ATX I’ve played in the last two years. It just doesn’t feel shitty, at all. It has the obvious cocking notch/hitch you feel on most short throw bolts, but it’s quite smooth. Wouldn’t say it requires a lot of force at all. The bolt shroud sleeve thing seems to really reduce the friction or something?

If you already have the AXSR, with the Lapua bolt face for the 33XC, then it’s already more cost-effective. You can get another barrel, spun up for it and all the mrad will do to do is cost you more money.
You’re definitely right. And I have arguments with myself about the logical fallacies I make. I have more rifles than I know what to do with 🤣

Question for you all, how do you deal with zeroing your scope with switching calibers? I recently picked up a 338 Norma barrel and it shoots 1.2-1.3 mils higher than my zero for my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel, and my Razor G3 doesn't have enough down to accommodate it. The Razer has the center dialing for zeroing so thinking I keep track of what my 6.5cm is for example it is at 6.2 right now, so in theory I could find what the 338NM is and keep that to dial down to.

Just wondering how you all deal with it.

Can you clarify if this is due to base/rail/mount or due to zero stop setup, etc
This.

I was testing some scopes and my Theta in a 20 MOA mount zeroed for 300prc didn’t have enough down elevation left to zero 308win at 100. That’s something like 15.9 mils of elevation that needs to be dialed out to zero your scope. Just the 10 mils in the action rail should be enough to run a mount with 0 incline and get plenty of elevation out of your scope.

Can you clarify if this is due to base/rail/mount or due to zero stop setup, etc

Yes sorry it is do to the Zero Stop and having it zeroed for my 6.5CM.

This.

I was testing some scopes and my Theta in a 20 MOA mount zeroed for 300prc didn’t have enough down elevation left to zero 308win at 100. That’s something like 15.9 mils of elevation that needs to be dialed out to zero your scope. Just the 10 mils in the action rail should be enough to run a mount with 0 incline and get plenty of elevation out of your scope.

Yeah I have 20MOA in the mount as well, and I have the adjustment to zero them all, as I have my zero set for my 6.5CM but that doesn't allow me to dial for the 338NM, Hence I was wondering how people deal with switching Barrels/Calibers and zeroing/dialing.

By not running 20 MOA on top of 10 mils 😂. Alternatively you can just use an offset zero in your ballistic software so your dope will account for difference.

Mk22 ATACRs 🤑🤑🤑🤑

Wow 5800.00 - That feels like a lot more than what I paid for my non mil spec but sort of mil spec regular version.

For those who have reused their old barrel extensions, what gunsmith did you use that remove the extension? I spoke with Greg via email at SPR and it sounded like I would need to remove the extension myself. I didn’t ask for clarification yet because I’m not at the point to reuse an extension. Just thinking ahead. I have a buddy who has a small machine shop that might be able to do it but I have no idea what the process would look like.

For those who have reused their old barrel extensions, what gunsmith did you use that remove the extension? I spoke with Greg via email at SPR and it sounded like I would need to remove the extension myself. I didn’t ask for clarification yet because I’m not at the point to reuse an extension. Just thinking ahead. I have a buddy who has a small machine shop that might be able to do it but I have no idea what the process would look like.
Give Marc Soulie a call at Spartan Precision. 208-454-9695

Greg (SPR) machined flats into barrel extension jam nut in order to apply the proper torque for my 33XC barrel. Barrett has a mysterious, specialized tool to torque this smooth, round nut to 120 ft-lbs. Unless you have that tool, it will be extremely tough to get it off.

Greg (SPR) machined flats into barrel extension jam nut in order to apply the proper torque for my 33XC barrel. Barrett has a mysterious, specialized tool to torque this smooth, round nut to 120 ft-lbs. Unless you have that tool, it will be extremely tough to get it off.
Patriot Valley Arms didn't seem to think it was a problem - they have said tool apparently.

Mk22 ATACRs 🤑🤑🤑🤑
I've been tempted. I figured I could sell my FDE with same mounts (without mil markings) for around $3,500 used but that still means kicking in $2,500 or so by the time you figure tax. Heck I only paid $5900 for my MRAD. I've spent alot on glass ( have two 7 x 35 ATACR's with Tremor 3 reticles) but never have I spent more on glass than the gun I put it on. The $2000 premium for special testing and markings is a little outrageous. But the fact there are only 300 is going to justify the entry fee. Knowing my luck the day after I finally bite the bullet and buy it they will release 600 more at $1000 off. :cautious: