• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

Greg (SPR) machined flats into barrel extension jam nut in order to apply the proper torque for my 33XC barrel. Barrett has a mysterious, specialized tool to torque this smooth, round nut to 120 ft-lbs. Unless you have that tool, it will be extremely tough to get it off.
He mentioned machining flats but I didn’t understand what he meant.

Reactions: Sgtsideways
1704065401096.png

Here's the flats pic from a few pages back. I like the fact that I am now equipped to take it apart when the barrel is shot out. Cerakote is by me. :)

I hadn’t considered I’d need to send the barrel out for disassembly once shot out. 🤔

Reactions: ma smith
View attachment 8310724
Here's the flats pic from a few pages back. I like the fact that I am now equipped to take it apart when the barrel is shot out. Cerakote is by me. :)
Is the process of removing it yourself easy? I’m still waiting on delivery of my MRAD so I have no idea what to expect.

Barrett uses a lot of thread locker on their factory barrel and extensions conversions. Marc at Spartain Rifle can easily take it apart and cut you a new barrel no matter what caliber you want (within rifle specs). The system is pretty basic - a barrel extension - bolt - and locking nut. The barrel is cut; head spacing is set; and the locking nut tightened. Any competant gun smith can do it...It's just that several of them (Spartain Rifle) have a lot more experience and the tools to do it.

Is the process of removing it yourself easy? I’m still waiting on delivery of my MRAD so I have no idea what to expect.
If you're not looking for a custom barrel, the shot out barrel is basically throw away and you buy a new one off Barrett's website. If you want a custom barrel, a competent gunsmith can re-use the interface to spin up a new barrel. Barrett also has Maker's kits ($450), which include the factory barrel interface and bolt to allow use of custom barrels. The only restriction is the cartridge you pick has to match one of the available Barrett bolt faces. The interface typically needs to be removed by a gunsmith. I currently have a factory 338NM barrel, a 28" custom Bartlein 300PRC MRAD barrel, a 30" 33XC Bartlein Mod BB MRAD barrel (single feed only) and I'm waiting for a Bartlein 41XC barrel to arrive which I will most likely finish at 28".

Every barrel I've gotten from SPR shoots sub 1/3 MOA. I got a 1/4" MOA group at 500 yards with the 33XC barrel.

Last edited:
If you're not looking for a custom barrel, the shot out barrel is basically throw away and you buy a new one off Barrett's website. If you want a custom barrel, a competent gunsmith can re-use the interface to spin up a new barrel. Barrett also has Maker's kits ($450), which include the factory barrel interface and bolt to allow use of custom barrels. The only restriction is the cartridge you pick has to match one of the available Barrett bolt faces. The interface typically needs to be removed by a gunsmith. I currently have a factory 338NM barrel, a 28" custom Bartlein 300PRC MRAD barrel, a 30" 33XC Bartlein Mod BB MRAD barrel (single feed only) and I'm waiting for a Bartlein 41XC barrel to arrive which I will most likely finish at 28".

Every barrel I've gotten from SPR shoots sub 1/3 MOA. I got a 1/4" MOA group at 500 yards with the 33XC barrel.
I figured it would be obvious, but I’m trying to reused extensions.

Welcome to the club!

My initial impressions when compared to my AXSR:
- The MRAD is 1000x easier to disassemble.
- MRAD trigger is easier to access and adjust.
- MRAD barrel is quicker to remove. Although, my area419 arca mlok bolts are a tad too long and need filed down so i can remove the barrel without needing to loosen the mlok bolts.
- in terms of cleaning the "receiver," which the barrel extension is, it is much easier to clean because you can remove the barrel.
- MRAD sits lower on my tripod.
- Bolt lift feels the same to me which is alright because the AXSR compared to the ATX has a much better bolt lift.
- MRAD bolt cycling is much better because of the guides. It feels like it doesn't bind (very minor but worth mentioning) like my AXSR.
- I have mine setup for tripod shooting with the length of pull at its minimum and then I extend the LOP for prone shooting. It is much faster to make that adjustment on the MRAD because of the push button.

Last edited:

Funny how this subject came up after I just talked to Bugholes about a custom barrel. They said that flats would have to be done on the barrel nut and the above picture shows that clearly. Problem is that a heavy varmint barrel has to be used due to the back end of the barrel length. Didn't exactly understand that part, and not wild about the extra weight.
At this point, I wonder if I should go with a Proof ss barrel or talk with SPR.

Great info here fellows.

Reactions: Swatdude1
Funny how this subject came up after I just talked to Bugholes about a custom barrel. They said that flats would have to be done on the barrel nut and the above picture shows that clearly. Problem is that a heavy varmint barrel has to be used due to the back end of the barrel length. Didn't exactly understand that part, and not wild about the extra weight.
At this point, I wonder if I should go with a Proof ss barrel or talk with SPR.

Great info here fellows.
What they mean by the back end barrel length is that the first 5 inch's at the breach/chamber end have to be 1.25in for 5 inches to install the barrel extension. Then the barrel can taper. So often from "factory" or mfg based contours only a heavy varmint barrel works. You can really custom order any type of taper you want. I have bartlien's that have the required 5 inch shank and then taper like light, med, and heavy palmas. Heck i have a 6.5 saum barrel in light palma. The "B" part needs to be 5 inches just like contour #9.

1704481080999.png

Last edited:
What they mean by the back end barrel length is that the first 5 inch's at the breach/chamber end have to be 1.25in for 5 inches to install the barrel extension. Then the barrel can taper. So often from "factory" or mfg based contours only a heavy varmint barrel works. You can really custom order any type of taper you want. I have bartlien's that have the required 5 inch shank and then taper like light, med, and heavy palmas. Heck i have a 6.5 saum barrel in light palma. The "B" part needs to be 5 inches just like contour #9.

View attachment 8315045
Thanks for the education and great info on this Schmi. That really lays it out for me, as I'm travelling here in uncharted waters.
Problem now is the wait time for the barrel maker's kits,,,,,,4-6 months, then the additional wait for the smithing services. :confused: Reaallly want a custom barrel though.

Thanks for the education and great info on this Schmi. That really lays it out for me, as I'm travelling here in uncharted waters.
Problem now is the wait time for the barrel maker's kits,,,,,,4-6 months, then the additional wait for the smithing services. :confused: Reaallly want a custom barrel though.
Why the wait? Barrett’s website says the kits are in stock. 4-6 week delivery time though.

Why the wait? Barrett’s website says the kits are in stock. 4-6 week delivery time though.
Yep, they’ve been in stock the back part of the year. Shipping won’t take that long either.

Reactions: JB.IC
Shipping is really like 5-7 days at most.
According to the Barrett rep that my vendor uses, b.m.k's take from 4-6 months.
Same as above. I have a barrel on order with this vendor (Hinterland) and this is a constant problem with Barrett's "in stock" on their website. My "in stock" barrel has a 4-8 week wait time. The bmk's are 4-6 months, so if you fellows have a work around that I'm not aware of, feel free to let me know.............I'm all ears at this point.

According to the Barrett rep that my vendor uses, b.m.k's take from 4-6 months.

Same as above. I have a barrel on order with this vendor (Hinterland) and this is a constant problem with Barrett's "in stock" on their website. My "in stock" barrel has a 4-8 week wait time. The bmk's are 4-6 months, so if you fellows have a work around that I'm not aware of, feel free to let me know.............I'm all ears at this point.

I ordered a kit a little over a week ago from Barrett and haven’t heard anything since. I just assumed the 4-6 week delivery is what to expect. Luckily, I’m not in a hurry to get a new barrel spun up. I’m eyeing a 37XC and a 33XC though. I have all the stuff from my other two XC rifles.

Order it direct from Barrett, why go through a vendor that doesn't have it in stock or has a long lead time? I've order a ton from the Barrett website and its been 3-10 business days for it to ship. I've ordered like 6 extensions in the past two years.

Any idea what this screw is for? It’s not listed in the manual that I have. I assume it has something to do with the notch on the barrel extension.

IMG_0793.jpeg

Order it direct from Barrett, why go through a vendor that doesn't have it in stock or has a long lead time? I've order a ton from the Barrett website and its been 3-10 business days for it to ship. I've ordered like 6 extensions in the past two years.
I'll have to look into that and call barrett direct.
I ordered a kit a little over a week ago from Barrett and haven’t heard anything since. I just assumed the 4-6 week delivery is what to expect. Luckily, I’m not in a hurry to get a new barrel spun up. I’m eyeing a 37XC and a 33XC though. I have all the stuff from my other two XC rifles.
Would be interested in what happens with your purchase. Please let me/us know how long it takes......Thanks

I ordered a 300WM barrel the third week of November and it just rolled in on Saturday - so 7 weeks between order and delivery of the barrel. Everything else in the order arrived a few days after it was placed.

Barrett was kind enough to finish the barrel in Tactical Peanut Butter for my Mk22 😁 Only had 30 minutes or so to shoot yesterday so I got a rough zero after switching out the 300NM and took it over to 600 yards. Overall, really pleased with the performance and the barrel change process left quite an impression. MRAD is a very well thought out platform at this point, especially with the toolless bolt. I'll probably get back out in two weeks to shoot groups and try different factory loads before developing my own.

Ended up ripping all the LaRue shit off the front of the Mk22 and putting on a Badger/KMW assembly for the trip. Thinking Atlas CAL for the long term, potentially on the A419 ARCA rail made for the latest gen MRAD. Anyone given that piece a try, yet? @JB.IC yours looks similar but possibly not the MRAD-specific unit

IMG_0275.jpg

Reactions: Luka and schmi015
I ordered a 300WM barrel the third week of November and it just rolled in on Saturday - so 7 weeks between order and delivery of the barrel. Everything else in the order arrived a few days after it was placed.

Barrett was kind enough to finish the barrel in Tactical Peanut Butter for my Mk22 😁 Only had 30 minutes or so to shoot yesterday so I got a rough zero after switching out the 300NM and took it over to 600 yards. Overall, really pleased with the performance and the barrel change process left quite an impression. MRAD is a very well thought out platform at this point, especially with the toolless bolt. I'll probably get back out in two weeks to shoot groups and try different factory loads before developing my own.

Ended up ripping all the LaRue shit off the front of the Mk22 and putting on a Badger/KMW assembly for the trip. Thinking Atlas CAL for the long term, potentially on the A419 ARCA rail made for the latest gen MRAD. Anyone given that piece a try, yet? @JB.IC yours looks similar but possibly not the MRAD-specific unit

View attachment 8317543
The Area419 arca I have currently is not the MRAD specific. I’ll have that specific one in a few day.

Reactions: Ehtacs

View attachment 8317543
I have the MK22 A419 rail. Great fit and finish. If you utilize their clamps on bipods, then it is not going anywhere.

Did you request the barrel cerakoted from Barrett? If so, I will order straight from Barrett for my next MK22 barrel.

I'll have to look into that and call barrett direct.

Would be interested in what happens with your purchase. Please let me/us know how long it takes......Thanks
Well it looks like you guys were right regarding the barrel maker kits. 4-6 weeks, don't know why the vendor has the extended time........Oh well.
That aside, which barrel maker, gunsmith would you go with? Bartlein, Krieger? Bugholes or others that are familiar with the kits? Does the receiver need to be sent in? Thanks for any input.

Well it looks like you guys were right regarding the barrel maker kits. 4-6 weeks, don't know why the vendor has the extended time........Oh well.
That aside, which barrel maker, gunsmith would you go with? Bartlein, Krieger? Bugholes or others that are familiar with the kits? Does the receiver need to be sent in? Thanks for any input.
Whatever barrel you want or can get your hand on. What caliber? Bartlein has a barrel serial # 2LA28121 in stock right now that would work.
6.5 5R 1 – 8.00 to 7.00 1.250” straight 30” finish SS 31” You can find it listed here and call them. https://www.bartleinbarrels.com/_files/ugd/a03e59_946653e1b36f4aa58ab965edd9130c33.pdf Any number of gunsmiths can do these now. Bugholes, PVA, LRI, GA Precision, Spartan Rifles etc Receiver does not need to be sent in, just barrel kit and barrel.

I have the MK22 A419 rail. Great fit and finish. If you utilize their clamps on bipods, then it is not going anywhere.

Did you request the barrel cerakoted from Barrett? If so, I will order straight from Barrett for my next MK22 barrel.
Yes! I threw it in the order comments, asking for peanut butter instead of the default black cerakote, and a very helpful sales rep informed me they could do it and I would see an extra $50 line item on the transaction. IMO it was very reasonable for an exception to the regular process and I'm happy to not have to mess around with the muzzle device!

When you get a moment, could you share some photos of the A419 rail and your accessories? I'm still torn on ARCA... As a card carrying member of the quad rail master race™, the features of a proprietary dovetail with rail slots and QD attachment aren't exactly novel to me but I'm no troglodyte and happy to appreciate something new.

Reactions: TheOE800
Just got my first mrad, anyone else have a slight wobble to their barrel after swap?

Just reinstalled my barrel for shits. There's the slightest wobble without the fasteners but it's gone by the time there's resistance on the Torx screws - it's 100% secure. I originally installed my 300WM with my MRAD resting on its bipod (directions and Barrett videos don't indicate and direction) but I'm going to try installing it vertically and see what effect it has on POI this weekend. I'd be pleased if the POI rises in that it would be closer to where the 300NM was from the factory!

Last edited:
Go bigger! I have a dedicated 41XC rifle but I'm spinning up an MRAD 1:11 barrel in 41XC to shoot 500gr A-tips, which are $1.65 each vs. $3.90 each for the Warner Flatline 505gr.

View attachment 8317543
My MRAD was pre-Mlok so I just got the generic ARCA rail.

Go bigger! I have a dedicated 41XC rifle but I'm spinning up an MRAD 1:11 barrel in 41XC to shoot 500gr A-tips, which are $1.65 each vs. $3.90 each for the Warner Flatline 505gr.
I bought a like 2000 of 375cal CEB a few years ago a for $1.33 a piece and have only shot like 500. So I need to get rid of them before moving up.

Reactions: Swatdude1
No. What did you do? Put rifle vertical so its on buttstock, insert barrel, make sure it "set's in" on the indexing slot, close the bolt, then tighten the two forward screws to 140 in/lbs.
Weird. That’s what I did. I’ll try to reseat it. I held the handguard with one hand another with the barrel and noticed a slight wobble

Yes! I threw it in the order comments, asking for peanut butter instead of the default black cerakote, and a very helpful sales rep informed me they could do it and I would see an extra $50 line item on the transaction. IMO it was very reasonable for an exception to the regular process and I'm happy to not have to mess around with the muzzle device!

When you get a moment, could you share some photos of the A419 rail and your accessories? I'm still torn on ARCA... As a card carrying member of the quad rail master race™, the features of a proprietary dovetail with rail slots and QD attachment aren't exactly novel to me but I'm no troglodyte and happy to appreciate something new.
Took a quick side profile shot of my MK22 with the following A419 items:

• A419 MK22 Arcalock Rail
  • A419 Harris Arcalock Clamp Kit
I also have an Atlas CAL bipod that I switch in and out for the Harris, which also has the A419 Arcalock clamp. My only complaint with the MK22 compared to the AXSR, is that there was not proprietary Arca built-in to the rail.

20240109 mk22_sp_1 3840.jpg

Took a quick side profile shot of my MK22 with the following A419 items:

• A419 MK22 Arcalock Rail
  • A419 Harris Arcalock Clamp Kit
I also have an Atlas CAL bipod that I switch in and out for the Harris, which also has the A419 Arcalock clamp. My only complaint with the MK22 compared to the AXSR, is that there was not proprietary Arca built-in to the rail.

View attachment 8319218
I like how the MK22 arca comes flush with the portion where the barrel clamps. I'll have mine Thursdays.

Reactions: SpeedDrop
Whatever barrel you want or can get your hand on. What caliber? Bartlein has a barrel serial # 2LA28121 in stock right now that would work.
6.5 5R 1 – 8.00 to 7.00 1.250” straight 30” finish SS 31” You can find it listed here and call them. https://www.bartleinbarrels.com/_files/ugd/a03e59_946653e1b36f4aa58ab965edd9130c33.pdf Any number of gunsmiths can do these now. Bugholes, PVA, LRI, GA Precision, Spartan Rifles etc Receiver does not need to be sent in, just barrel kit and barrel.
Thank you Schmi for all of this. You've been a great help along with the others on this forum.

Reactions: schmi015
Just got my first mrad, anyone else have a slight wobble to their barrel after swap?
As others have responded, my guess is that you didn't lock the bolt once you dropped the barrel in. Done that a time or two and I got that wobble you speak of. That notch is what I always look for and place the whole rig vertically, drop the barrel in and feel for the notch slipping into place. You'll also notice that the caliber size is on the top surface of the barrel near the muzzle brake. A great check for barrel seating and timing on a muzzle brake,btw.
I always alternately tighten the screws until I reach the 140 in lbs of torque. Very important to have a torque wrench like the fix it sticks. Barrett sells those, but I'm sure you can get those cheaper elsewhere.
Have fun.......................

Last edited: