• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

IanHusaberg

Bad Actor
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2017
    Rocky Mountains
    Gotcha Ya!! Same old Barrett MRAD, Just a new thread for Discussion/Photos? Add your $.02 if your an actual owner or if you have shot one in the past.

Proceed forth!!!!

As The German says, "I bought an MRAD, I no longer care(about any other rifle)"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll start with Mine "Dark Chocolate", 20" Heavy barrel 1/10 twist in 300 WIN. MAG. Vortex RAZOR Gen.2 4.5-27x56 ERB-2C MOA. Spuhr 4602. Atlas Prs?

IanHusaberg out

Last edited:
    Reactions: NormanChang
    My new play toy in multi-role brown, sporting the 24 inch, 300WM barrel, 5-25 atacr on nightforce rings, and accushot monopod and bipod
    rGGakyh.jpg

Last edited:
    when I initially posted the pic, the SH inserted some extra code in the URL that broke the pic... If you want, post your pic (host it on say IMGUR, and I can show you what to edit out to make it work.

I'm seeing 2 different rails on the MRAD and can't figure out why there is a difference. One rail has the slots cut into the rail all the way around, the other has a solid area at 3 and 9 o clock with just the holes to attach the accessory rails to.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this and on current production year rifles I've seen both.

Why are there 2 versions?

The one pictured above is the Gen 2. I just bought a gen 1. Which has no weight saving cut-outs. I don't think they serve any other purpose than to shave weight off this beast of a rifle?

Reactions: Megahoser
    The one pictured above is the Gen 2. I just bought a gen 1. Which has no weight saving cut-outs. I don't think they serve any other purpose than to shave weight off this beast of a rifle?

They may help slightly with cooling of the barrel

My new play toy in multi-role brown, sporting the 24 inch, 300WM barrel, 5-25 atacr on nightforce rings, and accushot monopod and bipod [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-linktype":"2","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/rGGakyh.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Hey Canuck,

Do you feel like the Atlas bi-pod and mono-pod are adequate enough for recoil, say if I stepped up to a 338 Lapua? I've been look and the long range accuracy bi-pods a little more money and weight. Not sure what to do?

Thanks, IanHusaberg

I don't have the 338 barrel yet, and t be honest, once I get it, I'll need to get a couple hundred rounds down the pipe before I feel like I am qualified togive a valid opinion on it. With regards tot he 300WM, the combo is more then enough. For a 338LM, maybe the atlas 5H is a little better suited to the 338, but I'm not a fan of how large it is (it would grate on me having to install it, and remove it every time I go out shooting).

I just bought a grey cerakote Barrett MRAD in 300 win mag and with a 24" carbon fiber barrel and it looks bad ass, I just purchased a Steiner T5Xi 5 - 25x56 scope and will be here tomorrow.

Reactions: NormanChang
    I just bought a grey cerakote Barrett MRAD in 300 win mag and with a 24" carbon fiber barrel and it looks bad ass, I just purchased a Steiner T5Xi 5 - 25x56 scope and will be here tomorrow.

the carbon fibre 338LM kit has been tempting me..... I'm eager to see what yours looks like.

Any known gunsmith or shop does spin a Mrad barrel?

Short Action Customs can do it, I believe, but they'll need your old barrel to reuse the barrel extension.

Gen 1 Multi-Role Brown, Accu/Atlas Bi & Mono, NXS 5.5-25x56 (Will upgrade to to new ATACR 5-25 or 7-31 F1), NS Rings, SiCo Radius, Thunderbeast 338BA(with Ultra Core Upgrade). 24" Fluted 338LM and 308 17" Heavy barrels currently owned.

Attachments

• photo48846.jpg
      photo48846.jpg
      213 KB · Views: 1,897
    • photo48847.jpg
      photo48847.jpg
      148.2 KB · Views: 1,842
    Last edited:
    Gen 1 Multi-Role Brown, Accu/Atlas Bi & Mono, NXS 5.5-25x56 (Will upgrade to to new ATACR 5-25 or 7-31 F1), NS Rings, SiCo Radius, Thunderbeast 338BA(with Ultra Core Upgrade). 24" Fluted 338LM and 308 17" Heavy barrels currently owned.

Now we're talking! Tell us a little more about the SiCo Radius. Does it work well for you? Hold zero? Furtherest you've range with it?

Now we're talking! Tell us a little more about the SiCo Radius. Does it work well for you? Hold zero? Furtherest you've range with it?

Unfortunately I have not yet had the chance to zero it and range from the rifle. I work overseas so am not home much, I got the Radius a few days before leaving and only held it and ranged a few items to see how the buttons worked.

When I get back on this next RR I plan to get it all setup and can provide more information.

Can anyone comment on how long the throat is on a 300WM mrad? I'm looking to make some rounds and I want to go with some longer bullets, I'm just unsure of how long I can seat them without jamming the lands. Will I be able to get the 210 SMK's to work?

Hey Jmo, Are you left handed? The Radius is on the right hand side.

Last edited:
    One thing I like the MRAD is that they have the 300 norma mag and 338 norma mag conversion kit

Hey Jmo, Are you left handed? The Radius is on the right hand side.

IanHusaberg I am not, I took those pictures the day I got the Radius before I really had a chance to get behind the gun and look at it. I have since moved it around to find the best spot for me, which is on the left side about mid-way between the bolt and tip of the fore end. If you shoot with both eyes open you can stay on the glass and clearly see the range readout out of your left eye without ever moving. If you shoot with your left eye closed you can open it and see the read out still without moving off the glass. I did not like the the mount that puts it on top of the scope.

Since I have not had a chance to zero and shoot with it yet I have not determined the best way to route the range selector wire from the unit to a location where I can activate it best. This will be something I have to play with on my next trip to the range. I definitely want the selector mounted on the right side above the trigger so I can range then move my finger to trigger just have to work on the best way to route the cable over there.

Man some of these rifles look really heavy lol Would be fun to own one!

Definitely a boat anchor, as far as weight goes. Just means a solid shooting platform. Not exactly a walking around stalking/hunting rig. I put a vortex Razor Gen 2 on mine. Multi-role brown of the rifle is almost an exact match of the Razor.

I will have pictures of my Barrett mrad 300 win mag with a 24" carbon fiber barrel as soon as I get my new phone but it is just beautiful Grey Cerakote finish and I just installed a Steiner TX5I 5-25x56 scope on a Larue Tactical QD Mount. Should be getting my MRAD ATLAS Bipod today.

I will have pictures of my Barrett mrad 300 win mag with a 24" carbon fiber barrel as soon as I get my new phone but it is just beautiful Grey Cerakote finish and I just installed a Steiner TX5I 5-25x56 scope on a Larue Tactical QD Mount. Should be getting my MRAD ATLAS Bipod today.

What's the difference with a MRAD Atlas over a normal Atlas?

Hey guys, I have my 20" 300 Win mag barrel for sale in the PX section. Zero rounds fired out of it. I'll make anyone on this thread a screaming deal if your interested? Check it out!!! I'm looking to go the 260 Remingtion direction.

Is there a consensus on the 338LM barrels? I'm torn over a 24 or a 26 inch fluted barrel, and tempted to hold off to get the carbon wrapped barrel, but the 50% higher cost in my neck of the woods is making me question if it's worth the premium.

Is there a consensus on the 338LM barrels? I'm torn over a 24 or a 26 inch fluted barrel, and tempted to hold off to get the carbon wrapped barrel, but the 50% higher cost in my neck of the woods is making me question if it's worth the premium.

I think the carbon barrel is the way to go. It's 35-40% more $ for the carbon EuroOptic $1,556 vs. $2,380. It comes down to $ over weight savings. The 17" 308 barrel is lightest. carbon is 4.3lbs. non-fluted steel is 4.5lbs. 24" carbon 338 is 5.05lbs. 26" non-fluted 338 is 7.25lbs.

300 win. mag. in the 24" carbon is the the same weight as the 338

If I buy any carbon barrels it will be 24" 338 or 22" 308 @4.7lbs.

Other barrels in the future will be fluted 24" models, 300 norma mag., 260 rem,

Go ruck with weight at 1 mile per 15 mins pace and the weight doesn't matter much.

Sure, if you run PRS or some hunting gun you're taking 1 shot with, go as light as you're good with. Otherwise, for something that isn't going to break with you smack it against a rock wall while climbing or shooting off of random terrain and then humping it all over the place, the weight is the price of admission.

FDE master race

308 22"
    6.5 24"
    338LP 24"

Leupold Mk4 6.5-20 M5A2 w/ H58
    Badger rings
    PEQ15
    PVS30

Thinking about getting 'Cash me Ousside' painted on the side of the barrel.

Go ruck with weight at 1 mile per 15 mins pace and the weight doesn't matter much.

Sure, if you run PRS or some hunting gun you're taking 1 shot with, go as light as you're good with. Otherwise, for something that isn't going to break with you smack it against a rock wall while climbing or shooting off of random terrain and then humping it all over the place, the weight is the price of admission.

FDE master race

308 22"
    6.5 24"
    338LP 24"

Leupold Mk4 6.5-20 M5A2 w/ H58
    Badger rings
    PEQ15
    PVS30

Thinking about getting 'Cash me Ousside' painted on the side of the barrel.

What's PEQ15? Laser/light designator. Are any of your barrels carbon? Can you elaborate if thats the case?

PEQ15 is the military IR/visible laser and illuminator, PVS30 is the newer gen clip on. Just means I'm ready to shoot shit at night because we all know the night time is the right time.

Nothing CF yet, may try for a 2nd go around when 6.5 and 338 get shot out and see if its worth it to me.

Reactions: BGE541
    I see people talking about carbon fiber barrels at Eurooptic, but all I see there under MRAD accessories are the steel barrels. is there another part of the website?

Hey guys, I'm not have much luck selling my 20" 300 win mag barrel soooooo...... I ordered 100 rounds of Hornady American whitetail sst 180's. Anyone want to guess what velocity i will see out of this stock round in my 20" barrel. I'll do a little barrel break in and zero of my gen 2 razor. I'll order a cheap set of reloading dies and load up some 208 eld's or some 230 berger hybrids. I'd like to hear some guesses what velocity's I could get with the bullets mentioned? I don't care about brass life with this Hornady stuff, I knew it would be soft from the get go. It's just hard to let the gun sit and not shoot it. I'll post a report when it comes in and I have some Lab radar results as well as some paper targets to measure. I'm going to guess 2750 Fps and around 1" groups????? I hope I'm wrong!!!

IanHusaberg out

With a 20 inch barrel, I feel like you are leaving a decent amount on the table with regards to velocities. But one thing is for sure, that 300wm is going to belch some fire.

As a candian, I feel like I need to ask if there is an option to get a tax stamp and a can?

Last edited:
    I think at some point in the future, I see a 338 thunder beast can? Any of you guys mess(adjust) around with your triggers?

I've left my trigger where it was set at the factory. A friend has one that he has done something with, it seems to break at about one to two ounces with quite a bit of travel. The one time I shot his gun I managed a better group than I have with mine. Every shot broke as a total surprise. Three rounds under an inch at 325 yards. My friend never chambers a round until the gun is lined up on his bench, so perhaps this is safe the way he uses it. I would never feel safe with a trigger like that on a rifle of mine.

I have not fiddled with my trigger yet, but I'm hoping to take out some of the creep that is there before the break. It's not terrible, I'm just not a huge fan of it.

So here is a question I've never been able to find an answer to: How does the FN Ballista's bolt compare to that of the Barrett MRAD (for 338)?

I remember seeing a Shotshow youtube clip where Barrett himself was discussing and taking apart a 338 MRAD, and he mentioned specifically that the bolt was designed from the ground up to handle 338 LM (as opposed to some other setup's, which started with a 308 or 300 WM action and then retuned it for 338). Now, I'm not sure if he was referring any specific competitor (like FN's ballista) or it was just a marketing gimmick, but it did spark my interest in learning how the FN and Barrett platforms compare to one another.

I admit up front, that i have preference for all things FN, but Barrett's reputation as a company and the MRAD specifically has gotten my attention (especially since it seems to sell for a price slightly below the Ballista).