• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The "New" Barrett MRAD Thread!!!!!!

What is the Cerakote color code for the MK22? Is it Elite Series? I heard someone say it's "Coyote" but not sure which series Barrett is using.
I have an early model "Multi-role-brown" and the finish is so flawless inside and out, that it leads me to believe it might be anodized instead of coated. Anyone can confirm? I'd hate to blast off an anodized finish.
You definitely don't want to blast the anodizing off. I have been Cerakoting as a hobby for years and know the process well. The manual advises just to lightly blast the anodized surface, just to rough it up, with 100 grit AO. Anodizing imparts hardness and I'm sure I read somewhere that Barrett anodizes prior to applying cerakote.

Based on the FDE that came on my Barrett I am fairly confident they are using the H-series. The Elite has quite a bit more glossy surface and you can't vary the hardener to achieve more or less gloss. I've done quite a few rifles with E-200. If you look at my post with pic on the last page, the Nightforce ATACR, mag, and barrel are C-series (no bake-high heat) FDE and a perfect match to the Barrett finish. The raptor mount, bipod, ARCA rail, bag rider and picatinny rails are E-series FDE. Spuhr mount appears to be H-series and also perfect match.

If you email Barrett, I am sure they would tell you what Coyote it is.

You definitely don't want to blast the anodizing off. I have been Cerakoting as a hobby for years and know the process well. The manual advises just to lightly blast the anodized surface, just to rough it up, with 100 grit AO. Anodizing imparts hardness and I'm sure I read somewhere that Barrett anodizes prior to applying cerakote.

Based on the FDE that came on my Barrett I am fairly confident they are using the H-series. The Elite has quite a bit more glossy surface and you can't vary the hardener to achieve more or less gloss. I've done quite a few rifles with E-200. If you look at my post with pic on the last page, the Nightforce ATACR, mag, and barrel are C-series (no bake-high heat) FDE and a perfect match to the Barrett finish. The raptor mount, bipod, ARCA rail, bag rider and picatinny rails are E-series FDE. Spuhr mount appears to be H-series and also perfect match.

If you email Barrett, I am sure they would tell you what Coyote it is.
Yeah, I don't completely blast the ano off either. I don't think the MRB color is coated, rather I believe it's anodized, but maybe they use robots to coat and that's why it looks flawless. If it's standard FDE, I don't really like that color cause of the slightly greenish-gray tint it has. Maybe my batch of FDE is older and just looks weird to my eye. Yours looks great, so maybe I just get Barrett's color code that they use. I'd rather use Magpul FDE that has a more earthen tone to it than plain FDE (going by what my stock of FDE looks like which is like 6 years old now) I know they have a shelf life, but my bottles are all stored inside, climate-controlled, and the only thing that has gone bad were the catalysts, which I get new ones every few months.
I haven't tried Elite-series yet because of the inability to set sheen, and certainly don't want a glossy gun. I'll do a bit more research, and see what I decide.

Thanks for your input

Yeah, I don't completely blast the ano off either. I don't think the MRB color is coated, rather I believe it's anodized, but maybe they use robots to coat and that's why it looks flawless. If it's standard FDE, I don't really like that color cause of the slightly greenish-gray tint it has. Maybe my batch of FDE is older and just looks weird to my eye. Yours looks great, so maybe I just get Barrett's color code that they use. I'd rather use Magpul FDE that has a more earthen tone to it than plain FDE (going by what my stock of FDE looks like which is like 6 years old now) I know they have a shelf life, but my bottles are all stored inside, climate-controlled, and the only thing that has gone bad were the catalysts, which I get new ones every few months.
I haven't tried Elite-series yet because of the inability to set sheen, and certainly don't want a glossy gun. I'll do a bit more research, and see what I decide.

Thanks for your input
I like the greenish hue. This is slightly off topic but here is the biggest Cerakote job I've ever done... My 2008 Tundra in Magpul FDE and Desert Sage. Rims and bumper are NIC Prismatic Powder Pale Brown... closest match to FDE (looks closer in person).

IMG_2987.jpg

The Best Sniper Rifle on the Planet, Barrett didn't set his goal just to be the finest in the world he expanded his goals to be the Best in our Solar System.

I finally got around to installing the two-stage, flat trigger, which actually took about 30 seconds. All I can say is freaking amazing!! Nice defined wall and ZERO creep. I just dropped it in and don't even feel the need to mess with adjusting.

Here is your answer @OrDad From their own website: no bolts for barrel conversion, The Single Mission Rifle name comes from the fact that the rifle is set from the factory in only one caliber, unlike the interchangeable barrel ability of the standard MRAD. The primary distinction of the SMR is the free float barrel which is held in the upper receiver with a standard barrel nut. Source: https://barrett.net/products/firearms/mrad-smr/
1615004834330.png

Last edited:
Selling my .308-Win Barrel Conversion Kit (24" SS Fluted) on GunBroker ... starting at $995. Only 50-ish rounds through it. Need to generate funds for something else I want. Wife says "No new unfunded gun stuff" ... and given my history, she's righteous to say that. FYI ... in case anyone is interested. Don't weep for my loss ... I have four other barrels I'm all shooting regularly. It was either buy all the reloading crap at ridiculous prices and shoot it more often, or sell it and use the money for other stuff I need (aka: "want").

Finally shot my MRAD 300PRC today with the ammo I ripped from Rusty's local gun store. I really didn't know what to expect with the recoil. Would it be an exaggeration to say it recoiled about like an AR-15? My POF Revolution 308 recoils more than the MRAD. I was down at the end table and I can say the people 4 benches away were not liking that Barrett muzzle brake.

I'm really impressed with the Bartlein accuracy even though I don't yet have a Barrett barrel to compare it to. I had a three shot, 0.25 MOA group going at 200 yards before proceeding to jerk the $h&# out of the trigger on the next two shots. Also at 200 yards I had a few 5-shot horizontal groups that were less than 1.5" wide and .5" tall. It was pretty windy today in Phoenix so I'm blaming that. ;)

I dry-fired the new Barrett trigger quite a bit after installing it and thought it was close to perfect out of the box. However, there is no substitute for shooting it and I am definitely going to lighten that 2nd stage up.

Finally shot my MRAD 300PRC today with the ammo I ripped from Rusty's local gun store. I really didn't know what to expect with the recoil. Would it be an exaggeration to say it recoiled about like an AR-15? My POF Revolution 308 recoils more than the MRAD. I was down at the end table and I can say the people 4 benches away were not liking that Barrett muzzle brake.

I'm really impressed with the Bartlein accuracy even though I don't yet have a Barrett barrel to compare it to. I had a three shot, 0.25 MOA group going at 200 yards before proceeding to jerk the $h&# out of the trigger on the next two shots. Also at 200 yards I had a few 5-shot horizontal groups that were less than 1.5" wide and .5" tall. It was pretty windy today in Phoenix so I'm blaming that. ;)

I dry-fired the new Barrett trigger quite a bit after installing it and thought it was close to perfect out of the box. However, there is no substitute for shooting it and I am definitely going to lighten that 2nd stage up.
Cool breeze ... glad to hear it. I shoot mine suppressed, and the recoil is even easier to manage. Working on load development now ... in search of the perfect combination of bullet and charge.

@rustyinbend what have you tried so far?

I’m just about to start, and want the best 1k to 1-mile hunting load. Precision is a factor but not so much as damage will become a factor. If it holds within a reliable threshold.

@rustyinbend what have you tried so far?

I’m just about to start, and want the best 1k to 1-mile hunting load. Precision is a factor but not so much as damage will become a factor. If it holds within a reliable threshold.
I'm still working it, but I'm close. My first ladder tests were too lightly charged and didn't have the velocity I was looking for. I bumped that up and my next ladder tests showed early pressure signs (heavy bolt, ejector swipes, etc.). I've got two "tweener" tests loaded for the next nice weather day, and I expect them to be fairly revelatory. They are:
  • 300-PRC MRAD, Hornady 1x-fired, Berger 220-HT, Accurate MagPro, Charged 77.2 to 79.0 in 0.3 increments
  • 300-PRC MRAD, Hornady 1x-fired, Berger 200.20x-H, Accurate MagPro, Charged 79.2 to 81.0 in 0.3 increments
I'll be looking for velocity flat-spots to do some final group testing within these ranges.

Previously I saw the start of pressure signs above 80.0 on the Berger 220's, and pressure above 83.0 on the Berger 200's (tables below).

I really liked the look of the velocity curve on the 200.20x Bergers (bar chart below), but the pressure was just too high. Still working it, but that's where I am so far.

1615123502193.png

1615123530584.png

I hear 338 powders like retumbo are sensitive to seating depth, that coube a variable to tweak also if you’re looking for nodes.

I forgot to tell you something that has never happened to me. When I sighted in my MRAD, the windage zero wound up right at the Nightforce ATACR factory zero. Was that a fluke or a testament to the barrel rail tolerance, the Spuhr rings, and the Nightforce?

Reactions: E-Tool
I forgot to tell you something that has never happened to me. When I sighted in my MRAD, the windage zero wound up right at the Nightforce ATACR factory zero. Was that a fluke or a testament to the barrel rail tolerance, the Spuhr rings, and the Nightforce?
I agree with you that it implies the tolerances were all tight, but it was just pure luck that the tolerances did offset each other. So I would say a combination of top quality components and pure coincidence.

It was a fluke.

A little job I did yesterday. Adding M-Lok slots to an MRAD.

That looks cool as hell...

Can I trade you the rifle for the machine? I mean, I'll let you use it anytime you want...

Seriously, can't wait to get it in hand, it's pretty obvious your attention to detail I think and I appreciate that.

I'll be sure to show it off here in full regalia when I get it back too.

Reactions: LRI
I might need that done to mine if I don’t sell it, wggats that job run? Barrett said they would recoat the rifle for $350 I used to want it in ODG.

Yes :)

Can anyone definitively confirm that an MRAD SMR cannot support either a barrel conversion to a different barrel or that a custom barrel cannot be installed to support a different caliber (i.e .308 to 300 Norma)? Thank you much!
You might want to call or email Barrett and ask about the barrel maker to see if it will work on the smr:

You might want to call or email Barrett and ask about the barrel maker to see if it will work on the smr:
The barrel makers kit will not work on the SMR. Post #1409 addresses that guys question.
Here is your answer @OrDad From their own website: no bolts for barrel conversion, The Single Mission Rifle name comes from the fact that the rifle is set from the factory in only one caliber, unlike the interchangeable barrel ability of the standard MRAD. The primary distinction of the SMR is the free float barrel which is held in the upper receiver with a standard barrel nut. Source: https://barrett.net/products/firearms/mrad-smr/
View attachment 7574509
1615572006544.png

1615572044150.png

1615572077966.png

The SMR is for guys that can make do with the fixed barrel and non-folding stock.

I'm sure it has it's benefits but the drawbacks are obvious. It really comes down to what you plan on doing with it.

I might need that done to mine if I don’t sell it, wggats that job run? Barrett said they would recoat the rifle for $350 I used to want it in ODG.
I don't have the price completed yet but the initial estimate was less than that and combined with the machine work it really made it a no-brainer. The estimate was very reasonable. And as you can see, the work to make those slots went lickety split, for sure took more time to upload the program than it did to cut it out.

Finally got out to the range today, been 2 months... Snow and Work... yuck!

Got a new bag rider from pfl338 to try out on the MRAD, this new design is way better then the first one I got from him. Fully fits the butt stock rail.

Got a new 308 barrel for it too. Only had about 30 mins @ the range before they closed, no time to test it :(

20210320_161312.jpg

20210320_164223.jpg

20210320_161210.jpg

20210320_161326.jpg

Hey for anyone doing a barrel makers kit, make sure the shank of the barrel is 1.25x 5inches long before the taper starts if you're doing anything other than straight contour.

Hey for anyone doing a barrel makers kit, make sure the shank of the barrel is 1.25x 5inches long before the taper starts if you're doing anything other than straight contour.
You think a 338 EnabELR barrel would work for MRAD conversion if you didn't mag feed?

You think a 338 EnabELR barrel would work for MRAD conversion if you didn't mag feed?
I don't think so. You'd have to open a bolt face. 338 lapua bolt face is .585 enabler is .635 similar to a cheytac. That's why I'm working on a 33xc and 37xc, cause I can use a lapua boltface, but single feed it.

Reactions: Swatdude1
Anyone know where I can get mag block or sled for the MRAD to facilitate shooting single-shot? I messaged the numerous AICS single shot sled sellers on fleabay but not one seems to have one for the MRAD.

Reactions: LHOG3187
Anyone know where I can get mag block or sled for the MRAD to facilitate shooting single-shot? I messaged the numerous AICS single shot sled sellers on fleabay but not one seems to have one for the MRAD.
could always glue a dowel or two into a mag, but why?

Nothing to do with a ban state. Just to conveniently and smoothly single feed 338s. And I'm not about to frickin modify a 90 dollar plastic mag. I'll make a single shot sled by hand from a block of plastic before I do that...

Reactions: Swatdude1
4CA66EFE-2FD1-4377-9B91-FD2C8313990C.jpeg

Well. I did a thing haha. Need to take some better pictures but this thing is frickin bad! So glad i stumbled upon this thing and decided to get it. Been constantly reading and now I’ve gotten to take it out finally. Just ordered a atlas 5H bipod for it as well.

Just heard a rumor that Barrett will be discontinuing civilian sales during the gov contract fulfillment?

Just heard a rumor that Barrett will be discontinuing civilian sales during the gov contract fulfillment?
Not sure they are discontinuing sales but lead times will be almost 2 years. My original 300PRC I ordered from Hinterland Outfitters last August is supposed to be here this August, and I know further towards the end of 2020 they were inundated with Biden fear MRAD orders. The SMR's have been way more plentiful on GB than the folders.

Not sure they are discontinuing sales but lead times will be almost 2 years. My original 300PRC I ordered from Hinterland Outfitters last August is supposed to be here this August, and I know further towards the end of 2020 they were inundated with Biden fear MRAD orders. The SMR's have been way more plentiful on GB than the folders.
Wow. Glad I got mine. Hinterland stopped taking orders shortly after I got mine. At that time, he was saying at least a year out. Hope I can still get a 6.5C barrel conversion.

Dont remember the loctite situation off hand. It took a good amount of force to get off but it does come off

Is Barrett’s brake installed with Loctite? Recently picked up a 300 NM conversion and want to install a Sidewinder.
If you have the one with the threaded factory muzzle brake, then yes, there is a blue lock tight applied. Other muzzle brakes from Barrett have a locking nut and you can just take two wrenches to easily remove.

I spoke with Barrett and was told I'd have to apply a propane torch to the brake with lock tight in order to loosen it. Wish they had stuck with the lock nut style brake.

Reactions: week3
If you have the one with the threaded factory muzzle brake, then yes, there is a blue lock tight applied. Other muzzle brakes from Barrett have a locking nut and you can just take two wrenches to easily remove.

I spoke with Barrett and was told I'd have to apply a propane torch to the brake with lock tight in order to loosen it. Wish they had stuck with the lock nut style brake.
Thanks for that information!

Reactions: rady