• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes The New Vortex Razor 2019

Well done Vortex. You kept us impatiently waiting, but finally the best valued scope on the market has one of the best reticles on the market! God I hate first world problems lol.

The problem with that theory is, there is very little to no existing inventory of the EBR-2C MRAD series right now and the new scopes with the new reticles have not even arrived yet. Not saying a Gen III is not possible but it is a moot point for 2019 at the least. And if the Gen III is a brand new model (like the jump from the Gen I to the Gen II), it might be delayed in production for months into 2020 before we see them.

Vortex has a history of lowering prices on established models as production efficiency increases or as supply builds up. They also are not afraid to drop a SKU or two if they just sit in the warehouse, even if the model is just a couple of years old.

If I were Vortex (and I have no insight into their plans, so this is all my speculation), I would hold off on doing Razor Gen 3 for a bit. The way the market is going, the Razor needs to compete in the $1500-$2000 category and Vortex has already established the AMG name as their "step above" product.

If I were them, I would be looking to expand the AMG line-up. The $2k market is very nicely served by the existing Razor. Maybe they should consider doing a Gen 2E version of the 3-18x50. It could use a diet. I would leave the 4.5-27x56 alone except for some additional reticle options.

I have been to Vortex' new building and they have the space to expand manufacturing.

Another problem that they will have to address sooner then later is the ramification of the trade war between US and China. Making stuff in China is getting more expensive and eventually something will have to give. That is not a uniquely Vortex problem, of course, so OEMs in the Phillipines and Taiwan are going to make a killing in the next few years. However, there are other places that want to make higher end stuff like optics and I am very curious to see who is going to be the first one to exploit them. Vortex definitely has the muscle to do it.

All of that is going to take a ton of human capital, so I am not expecting Gen 3 any time soon.

ILya

Wish the scope companies do something soon (prices,new models etc) I’m in the market for a deal.
To bad Nightforce doesn’t have a once a year sale for previous customers.

Ohhhh this is exciting I wonder how long it will be before these show up on the Mil/LE site.

Reactions: JMcBurn
Correct me if I'm wrong but did the AMG go up $300? I thought they used to be $3399...?

Screenshot_20190113-220441_Chrome.jpg

So we’re looking at early March for the new scopes?

Man that’s gonna make it tough. Putting together my first long range build right now and don’t know if I have the patience.

Last edited:
I know that does seem like crazy talk spending the money on training learning to do the right way instead of reinforcing doing it the wrong way or already learned bad habits . For myself and being a relatively new Precision shooter I figured I'd take the thousand dollars Salida Colorado and buy some training instead of taking $1,000 buying a bunch of ammunition and wasting it bye consistently doing the wrong things over and over again like Mike and Frank say there's a lot of really good bad Shooters out there I just didn't like Mike and Frank say there's a lot of really good bad Shooters out there I just didn't want to be one . If you have the ability to get good training spend the money I can definitely say that every time I spent training was worth it tenfold ="308pirate, post: 7458464, member: 113603"]Training and practice? That's crazy talk![/QUOTE]

Reactions: Steveid
MAP and dealer cost remain the same on the AMG for 2019

That's good. Would only effect those that use their MIL/LE program...or those that pay full MSRP. Hopefully helps you guys be more competetive in that regard (dealers are more likely to be in stock too!)

Full disclosure, I’m a rookie. Been looking to by a scope for my new Tikka TAC A1 for several months now and finally made up my mind on Razor Gen II. Trying to decide if I take advantage of new price drop of 2C or go for 7C, as premium is not substantial.

One thing I noticed on Scopelist.com, is that 7C has finish discrimination of “matte black”. Does anyone know if that means they are not bronze? I know we are all man here and color matching is a taboo subject, but I’m sure you will admit black on black does look better.

Reactions: 65Bowite
I was thinking the same as one of the posters above spend the money on the Vortex Gen 2 Razor and then invest in some good training (Rifles Only) with the price Vortex is offering you can get a great product with training which seems like a win win deal especially for a rookie.

Reactions: Basher
Full disclosure, I’m a rookie. Been looking to by a scope for my new Tikka TAC A1 for several months now and finally made up my mind on Razor Gen II. Trying to decide if I take advantage of new price drop of 2C or go for 7C, as premium is not substantial.

One thing I noticed on Scopelist.com, is that 7C has finish discrimination of “matte black”. Does anyone know if that means they are not bronze? I know we are all man here and color matching is a taboo subject, but I’m sure you will admit black on black does look better.

I took advantage of Liberty Optics super sale (thanks again Scott! I haven't been this excited for something to come around for years.) I would HIGHLY recommend seeing what he can do for you on the next sale. If my 7 reticle arrives and it's actually "matte black" also like you're saying, I may end up sleeping with my rifle/ scope. I'd be surprised if that were the case though.
Did I mention to hit up Scott at liberty yet? You should do that.

I took advantage of Liberty Optics super sale (thanks again Scott! I haven't been this excited for something to come around for years.) I would HIGHLY recommend seeing what he can do for you on the next sale. If my 7 reticle arrives and it's actually "matte black" also like you're saying, I may end up sleeping with my rifle/ scope. I'd be surprised if that were the case though.
Did I mention to hit up Scott at liberty yet? You should do that.

I ordered the 3-18 Gen 2 razor and then changed my mine and ordered the 4.5-27 Razor with the EBR 7C. I will be a happy camper when it comes in as I still have my 2C.

MSRP is now supposed to be $2000 right? Isn’t that the limit for production glass?
it hasn't changed, except the 7C is $2899
7c is 1999
Nobody pays MSRP. Retail is the only thing that matters

Right, but YOU replied to a comment directly tied to MSRP by PRS rules by saying it was $1999, which is factually incorrect. Nobody pays MSRP, but PRS rules don’t give a crap about retail, they go off MSRP, so it’s important that people know where MSRP is so they don’t go blow $1650-1999 on an optic, expecting to compete in Production.

I’m trying to clear the air so nobody’s confused, but apparently it isn’t working...

Right, but YOU replied to a comment directly tied to MSRP by PRS rules by saying it was $1999, which is factually incorrect. Nobody pays MSRP, but PRS rules don’t give a crap about retail, they go off MSRP, so it’s important that people know where MSRP is so they don’t go blow $1650-1999 on an optic, expecting to compete in Production.

I’m trying to clear the air so nobody’s confused, but apparently it isn’t working...
I am not competing so I am not familiar with the rules.

So, the new Razor's are supposed to ship end of February Right? Were over 1/2 way through. I should probably start running out to check the mail 3, or 4 times a day starting Monday right? Maybe the excitement and extra exercise will help drop the winter fat lined fur coat I'm wearing and get back into shooting shape. Unless we get told there has been a delay- then it'll be full on depression and buckets of Blue Bell Ice Cream.
Oh wait- can't get blue bell where I live anymore. New reason to be sad.

they are out in the wild. seeing a lot of them popping up on IG.

the vendor I'm getting mine through said he should have them in 7-10 days

Back to old reason to be happy. I'll go check the mail now- just in case.

They are starting to show up at a few vendors.

I wonder what this means for the Gen 1 Razor, I mean with vendors selling the Gen II for $1999, that frequently have 10-15% off coupons that brings a gen 2 Razor to somewhere under $1800. At that price point who is going to pay $1500 for a Gen 1 after the same discount is applied. I just can't see anyone not going to the Gen 2 for only $300. I guess the gen 1 is 10oz lighter and has more elevation adjustment but I'm not sure how many that would sway to it's side with that small of a price gap.

Mine showed up about a week or two ago... and I shot it last week at new holland. No surprises, it's really nice. I think the colour is a little more "brown" compared to the old one but maybe mines just faded after 5 years or my eyes are playing tricks on me.

It's an amazing scope for the money and I really like to new reticle. The floating dot is great for precision, they fixed the issue with the numbers being alone the main line and interfering with wind holds, and I like the .5 and .2 hash. It's a lot of info in the scope but once you've learned the system it's pretty intuitive.

The rest is typical razor quality: great clicks, great zero stop, great glass.

I'll see if I can get some pics through the scope

Reactions: TRAC
I wonder what this means for the Gen 1 Razor, I mean with vendors selling the Gen II for $1999, that frequently have 10-15% off coupons that brings a gen 2 Razor to somewhere under $1800. At that price point who is going to pay $1500 for a Gen 1 after the same discount is applied. I just can't see anyone not going to the Gen 2 for only $300. I guess the gen 1 is 10oz lighter and has more elevation adjustment but I'm not sure how many that would sway to it's side with that small of a price gap.

I never hear much about the Razor Gen I. It's like a forgotten step child.

I used to hear: It's either PST Gen I or Gen II or jump all the way up to the Razor Gen II. (this was before the Razor AMG was released)