• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

"There will be no nightcaps without leftovers."
DSC_0001.JPG

I don't have pictures yet, but My Lady and I just made 3 lbs of ground pork (and spices) into a whole whack of wontons. Each wrapper was cut in half, then 'stuffed', then boiled, then separately frozen on a cookie-sheet outside (winter here) then packed into bags.

This way, all we need to do is make a broth whenever we want (or thaw-out some home-pre-made servings) for a relatively instant lunch/meal/snack/appetizer.

Different than most, but we rarely follow the parade.

That's a BIG reason why I'm wanting to build/create/convert a 'curing box' so that we can make our own HIGH QUALITY salami's and other assorted dried/cured sausages. I just picked up an 'artisanal' Chorizo, and that thing is made with 90% sinew, membrane, and cartilage. It is ridiculous that after spending 'cubic dollars' on something that is supposed to be 'grade' only to find that it isn't even actual food. Just filler.

We'll be making our cured meats out of Pork Butt as well as Pork Loin, for starters. I remember the fleets of 'membrane skinners' at the processing plant, and I always thought it was despicable that the 'output' of those skinners was sold to sausage factories. Like "Jimmy Dean" and such. Pure garbage.

I'll shut up now, though I'm sure that some of ya'll know what I'm talking about and maybe even think similarly. Blessings,

I have never cook a5 waygu before but I have watched a ton of this guys videos. He sure as hell seem to know how to cook it.

Sous Vide or don't bother...quite frankly it is for people with more money than common sense. I have had Waygu and Kobe...I think a dry aged piece of Prime from Alberta blows it away but that is me

Last edited:
Reactions: Barneybdb
My latest batch of goodies out of the smoker:
1581480291146.jpeg

1581480424626.jpeg

They’re a little bit greasy for my tastes but it’s really good! A very mild spice level. It’s a summer sausage with jalapeño seasoning mix with hot pepper high temp cheese mixed in. Next batch will probably be done with 90/10 to see if I like that a little better.

Back in my teen years I was introduced to fried cabbage while eating at a friend's house. I have added sausage to it since then.
Render down about a pound of bacon and remove the meat from the skillet.
Add a roughly chopped onion and when it is turning translucent add about a pound of sausage and a couple cloves of minced garlic.
Once the sausage is warmed through add a half stick of butter and the coarse chopped cabbage. Just about the time the cabbage is cooked add the bacon back to the skillet. Sprinkle a couple shakes of oregano and finish cooking to your desired texture of the cabbage.
I prefer it just with a slight crunch. But cooking until it's soft is good also.
This is a dish that you can't walk away from. It needs to be stirred continually. You don't want anything to burn on the bottom. I usually set it on a medium heat through the whole process. 40 minutes prep and cook time.
IMG_20200213_175856.jpg
IMG_20200213_180002.jpg
IMG_20200213_180518.jpg

The final product.
IMG_20200213_182012.jpg

For anyone counting carbs. There's probably less than 15 carbs per serving.

Let me say that cabbage is one of the most underrated vegetables out there and I don't understand why...

IMG_3209.JPG

This is a layered potato dish that is made liked scalloped potatoes but there are two layers of cooked savoy cabbage with onion and bacon in there. People look at you like you have 3 heads but then they taste them and say DAMN...the cabbage mixed with the bacon and the cream sauce is really like nothing else.

Lot's of carbs...lots of fat...lots of goodness

Make it only at Christmas or sometime special as it takes a while of prep

Back in my teen years I was introduced to fried cabbage while eating at a friend's house. I have added sausage to it since then.
Render down about a pound of bacon and remove the meat from the skillet.
Add a roughly chopped onion and when it is turning translucent add about a pound of sausage and a couple cloves of minced garlic.
Once the sausage is warmed through add a half stick of butter and the coarse chopped cabbage. Just about the time the cabbage is cooked add the bacon back to the skillet. Sprinkle a couple shakes of oregano and finish cooking to your desired texture of the cabbage.
I prefer it just with a slight crunch. But cooking until it's soft is good also.
This is a dish that you can't walk away from. It needs to be stirred continually. You don't want anything to burn on the bottom. I usually set it on a medium heat through the whole process. 40 minutes prep and cook time.

I do a similar thing with ground beef and cabbage. Call is lazy mans stuffed cabbage. Keeps the carbs low and a great filling meal! (y)

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
Cool; something else that I don't know what it is. Why don't you folks eat normal food like squirrel and dumplins and such?

• Haha
Reactions: Barneybdb and 1J04
Cool; something else that I don't know what it is. Why don't you folks eat normal food like squirrel and dumplins and such?

Wife's version of Mexican Rice, Her Homemade Tamales, little bit of shredded Lettuce, some Hot Sauce & Sour Cream. This is round 2 for the day. I gotta mean hunger going on for some reason. :ROFLMAO: Had too much fun Milling Cedar last night............ :cool:

Making me drool with those tamales! I love those things.

Funny thing is, in the picture above where I was making the Chorizo Breakfast Burritos, the Bowl and measuring Cup with the 'stuff' in it is Masa for the Tamales the Wife was getting ready to make.

Love the hell outta them. She makes with Chicken, Beef, and Pork, and they're all amazing. I'll have to get you a handful of them. ;)(y)

Never ate a tamale?

Born and raised by wolves north of the polar circle?
Never had one. My mom told me she missed having them. I thought they were the green tomato looking fruit, but guess not. Her and my dad had never had Mexican food until dad got stationed in CA.

• Haha
Never had one. My mom told me she missed having them. I thought they were the green tomato looking fruit, but guess not. Her and my dad had never had Mexican food until dad got stationed in CA.

"A tamale is a traditional Mesoamerican dish, from modern-day Mexico, made of masa or dough (starchy, and usually corn-based), which is steamed in a corn husk or banana leaf. The wrapping can either be discarded prior to eating or used as a plate."

You ain't missing much

• Wow
"A tamale is a traditional Mesoamerican dish, from modern-day Mexico, made of masa or dough (starchy, and usually corn-based), which is steamed in a corn husk or banana leaf. The wrapping can either be discarded prior to eating or used as a plate."

You ain't missing much

Tamales can be excellent if done right, however most tamales are more on the "meh" side of things.

There isn't many tamales I get excited about.

Reactions: 1J04 and Barneybdb
lol I like Rice, Onion, Potato, Ginger Gruel with Chicken. ? Great winter dish with Grilled Ham n Cheese!

Reactions: Barneybdb
No offense meant...

I lived in SoCal for a while and love Mexican food but Tamales never did anything for me no matter who made them

Offense over who likes what food? Ya, I suppose that's possible these days, but not here, and definitely not with me Brother.

I actually agree. They're pretty darn simple unless you spruce'm up a bit. My Stepmother was Mexican and for the year I lived with her and my Father in Modesto, she put on a pretty good spread, including Tamales. Loved'm ever since.

Hell, I even love Yaki Omochi, which is like eating gooey grilled paste. Wrap in Nori and dip in Soy Sauce. Bout as bland as bland can be, but satisfying.?

I never had one that made me say...WOW...it is kind of like gruel in a husk. To each his own

There's only one that ever has made me say "wow", and that was at one of the oldest Mexican restaurants in the US - one right near my place in Tucson.

Their corn tamales are amazing. Other then that, I find tamales pretty boring.

California Mexican food and Texas Mexican food differ a lot.

Long time since last in Cal but did enjoy some of the baja style food.

That said, I much prefer TexMex and authentic Mexican .

Production made tomales suck.

Hand made tomales with beef or pork mostly, in North Texas can have lines form if authentic.

Eaten for breakfast with just a sprinkle of salt.

Supper can find chili sauce on them.

The woman made some pimento cheese this weekend. She used a smoked cheddar and added bacon. Yuuuum! Like Red Robbin!!
Used it on bacon venison cheeseburger this evening. A picture would not do justice to the flavor.
Added to the venison.
Bread crumbs
An egg
Salt and pepper
Garlic
Smoked paprika
Chilli powder.