• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Had some friends over last night after my freaking colonoscopy test....decided to celebrate with some ocean goodies....King Crab Legs cooked on the BBQ and 8 Lobsters steamed in a beautiful liquid

King Crab Legs.jpg

Lobster.jpg

so not exactly a recipe or anything i can take credit for...but psa if you like cole slaw, need to add cabbage to your diet (or anything that didn't have legs or grow underground) this is an easy relatively cheap dressing (costco) that makes really good "asian" style cole slaw.
and by "asian" i don't mean muslim grooming gangs.

can also be found on amazon or maybe even your local market. 👍👍
81qyQA84VmL._SY606_.jpg

• 2016 Dressing of the Year Winner, Japanese Kewpie fukairi deep-roasted sesame dressing
  • Great on chicken, fish, or any types kind of meat, Cold Pasta, Veggie Dip, Slaw Mix or Marinade
  • Certified Non-GMO and Kosher; CONTAINS: EGG, SOY, WHEAT
  • Large 32 oz. size Made in USA

Reactions: Barneybdb
so not exactly a recipe or anything i can take credit for...but psa if you like cole slaw, need to add cabbage to your diet (or anything that didn't have legs or grow underground) this is an easy relatively cheap dressing (costco) that makes really good "asian" style cole slaw.
and by "asian" i don't mean muslim grooming gangs.

can also be found on amazon or maybe even your local market. 👍👍
81qyQA84VmL._SY606_.jpg

• 2016 Dressing of the Year Winner, Japanese Kewpie fukairi deep-roasted sesame dressing
  • Great on chicken, fish, or any types kind of meat, Cold Pasta, Veggie Dip, Slaw Mix or Marinade
  • Certified Non-GMO and Kosher; CONTAINS: EGG, SOY, WHEAT
  • Large 32 oz. size Made in USA
We just picked up some of this dressing from Costco yesterday. I am interested in trying it with some slaw , pork or chicken.

Well, we wing it here.

2 eggs
2 tablespoons of veg oil
1 cup of water
2 cups of corn meal
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt...I like two

E

That sounds great with the addition of buttermilk!!! Thankyou very much!

Add a can of rotell.

Or maybe some fresh roasted Hatch chillies, wife got me some that were still hot off the roaster.

Had a couple of hatch chillie bratwurst leftover from last nite.
Chopped them small, brick of velvita cheese, can of diced tomatoes, 5 or six fresh Hatch hot chillies and a sprinkle of fajita seasoning.

Ate it all and skipped supper it was great.

Chillies and eggs for breakfast I bet.

For those of you that prefer to jerk their own meat instead of paying for it......

I’ve found that I prefer pork loin for my cut meat jerky, if you’ve never tried it I suggest you give it a run. I use LEM products “Original” flavor mix with a little red and black pepper added. 160 degrees for 5-5.5 hours and it’s done. I need to run a batch of this through the smoker next time to see if the addition of smoke adds anything positive.

vu3wIr.jpg

KTVr2r.jpg

It turns translucent after drying out.

I'll have to give the pork jerky a try. Great idea! I've had it before just never thought to do it myself. LOT cheaper than beef.

Last night was peach cobbler. Tree is producing like crazy so I added 50% more peaches than normal and the batter by 25%. I think I'll use that ratio from now on but drain some of the liquid off the peaches before putting them in.
20200811_185951.jpg

Never tried it with pork.

Seems odd since I never thought twice about making smoked sausage from fattier cuts of pork.

Since the pork is more mild than beef or venison the seasonings really stand out.
They routinely have full loins here for as low as .99 a pound. Tough to beat at that price. I take them and trim all the darker meat and save it for sausage grind. You end up with about a 60% yield of pure white meat.

Thats what I like about pork loin.

Cheap, versatile, if you have a grinder pretty much 100% yield.

I have started not trimming the fat off of pork chops even if a little thick.
That way I can still grind them if needed later.

One of our favorite ground pork uses, eggrolls.
A little labor and mess but you wont ever buy a frozen one again.

Small batch: 2 person feast.
Started with the basic recipe on the package. Then found this method or mix just as easy if not better.

1 ea. Pkg of eggroll wrappers, pound of ground pork, bag of coleslaw mix (toss the seasonings out).

Seasonings first rule is NO SALT ! Not
many rules past that.
Ginger, powdered or fresh ground
Garlic, same all to taste generally 1 tsp each.
Green onion -chopped for color
Pepper to taste
Soy sauce 3 or 4 splashes
Oyster sauce (sweet not too fishy) 3 or 4 slow splashes ( its thick).

Pork and seasonings lightly browned with a little soy, omit oyster sauce for now it will burn (sugars).

Then add coleslaw mix to wilt and the oyster sauce. Add cooked meat. Let filling cool to room temperature.

Lay out a wrapper and spread a little water on edges, do not over fill, roll tightly and set on foil or wax paper to dry turning once. (Helps with staying together).

At this point you can individualy freeze some and then package.

Fry in small batches in a couple inches of oil till brown and place on wire rack in warm oven.

My wife worked on this recipe from the basic one on the back of the wrappers and it pretty much blows away any of the competition.

Adjust spices as you wish we really don't measure anything.
20200429_194605.jpg

Got a new offset smoker yesterday... Burned it in last night. Cooking on it today.

Wife wanted ribs... waste of fuel to cook a single damn rack, but fuck it.

Just came out of the foil, got 1 more hour back in smoke to dry them out a bit...

3-2-1 method. When I foil them I also put butter and brown sugar on both sides...turns into a caramel almost...

My belly is rumbling...

They needed a little more time, like 20-30 minutes...

The outside ribs were great, but the middle was not quite there... It pulled from the bone cleanly, but was a little to chewy...

I think the main problem was since I am still learning this pit, my temps were not consistent. Ive got a gasket kit for both doors coming and that will help.

The pit would sit at 225, 240, or 290... I think I got it to hold 250 for like 3 minutes...

With JUST charcoal(when I had the ribs foiled) I had to run the intake all the way open to hold somewhere north of 225. But add wood to that and you had to damn near close it all the way down...or she would run up to 290 in an instant... I hope when I get the doors sealed up and a few more cooks on her she will calm down a bit. I dont mind babysitting a pit, but this was rough.

From the picture I can not see the ends of the bones sticking out.

My new offset is thin and hard to run.
Cant really get a large bed of coals rocking and tweek the air like my old pit.

I have to build smaller fires and fuss with it, I didn't pick it out.

Some times I have to open the fire box back door for a while.

I'm rebuilding the old pit's fire box f-this.

Not sure how
They needed a little more time, like 20-30 minutes...

The outside ribs were great, but the middle was not quite there... It pulled from the bone cleanly, but was a little to chewy...

I think the main problem was since I am still learning this pit, my temps were not consistent. Ive got a gasket kit for both doors coming and that will help.

The pit would sit at 225, 240, or 290... I think I got it to hold 250 for like 3 minutes...

With JUST charcoal(when I had the ribs foiled) I had to run the intake all the way open to hold somewhere north of 225. But add wood to that and you had to damn near close it all the way down...or she would run up to 290 in an instant... I hope when I get the doors sealed up and a few more cooks on her she will calm down a bit. I dont mind babysitting a pit, but this was rough.
I'm not sure how well it would work with your smoker but a Thermoworks controller and their Billows is an easy way to control pit temps on longer cooks. Just did a pork shoulder and over 14 hours I'm impressed with how well Billows controlled pit temp to a setpoint. https://www.thermoworks.com/Billows

From the picture I can not see the ends of the bones sticking out.

They were, not far, but enough. I dont judge ribs by that usually... I simply do 3-2-1 and ~250 degrees and call it good. Hasnt really failed me in at least 100 racks or so. I think it was just periods of not having the smoker up to 250.

On my old smoker it would hold 225-230 and just sit there for hours with a good bed of coals.

Ribs 6 hrs every time. I use saint Louis cut almost every time.

Have you checked the new thermometer against a digital ?
My new one was 30 degrees off.

Last edited:
On my old smoker it would hold 225-230 and just sit there for hours with a good bed of coals.

Ribs 6 hrs every time. I use saint Louis cut almost every time.

Have you checked the new thermometer against a digital ?
My new one was 30 degrees off.

I boil checked it last night and adjusted it. It was only off maybe 5 degrees.

BUT I dont know how far off the temps are from the grate to the lid, guessing 25 degrees give or take. My remote thermometer I have had for years, the fucking batteries were dead... AAA of which I had none.

I probably wont mess with it again until my gasket kit comes in. No sense in trying to learn it just to modify it and then it runs completely differently.

Mine was reading 30 degrees high.

I kept staring at a brisket waiting on it to start sweating. I had not bothered to put a probe in as I had planned to oven finish it.

What I have seen in my cooking of briskets is an exact temperature is no good indication of stall.
I go on color and sweat beads and then probe and crutch them.

I get most of my briskets on sale so they are 12-13 lb scruffs or 17 lb plus monsters, 14-16 is a good commercial size for consistancy and not often in the sale bin.

If you think you are running at 230 but actually only hitting 200 you are going to run out of beer waiting. Lol