• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"The Poor's" Welcome You.......

D240E1B9-8630-411B-8F6C-A7157E30C125.jpeg

During Katrina (New Orleans) those mansions were secured by Blackwater Security mercenaries...... Not so easy pickin's. Times are a lot tougher now....
That's a complete bullshit exaggeration. There was 1 privately contracted re-supply to a home in the area. I have co-workers who were there.

And the term "mercenary" used in the context you did is bullshit too.

Mercenary: noun. a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.
"he had planned to seize power with the aid of a group of mercenaries"

Blackwater was an American company, owned by an American, employed Americans who worked on American soil, or for American government entities.

Last edited:
I'm a long way from being a coffee snob, but whatever packets they have for the in room coffee makers only vaguely resembles coffee.
It isn’t the coffee that tastes bad. It’s the after taste of the meth that was cooked in the coffee maker by the folks who had the room before you.

• Haha
Reactions: OldSalty2
Not sure why you are complaining. I'm the guy paying for your social security ;)

Seriously though, let this be a lesson to the younger crowd. Live within your means. Sacrificing now, and putting a little away for your future, can go along ways to making your retirement a little easier.
You can't tell young'ns anything, they already know everything??

Reactions: mosin46
America’s seniors are facing a lot of hard choices. After the Federal Reserve’s latest rate hike, the combination of climbing prices on everything from food to gas to utilities and ever-higher borrowing costs is making the finances of Americans on fixed incomes increasingly precarious.

And my ole lady (9 years my sr) wants to kick me out because she's insecure??
I'm like bitch, you know you'll starve and freeze to death, right? Be careful what you wish for...

@Hobo Hilton there is a VERY big difference between being a poor, and being smart enough to be cheap when needed so you spend more money on gucci gear.

Having a really nice rifle, with a cheap-ass scope, because its "all i can afford" is being a poor. Having a heated house over winter is not being a tight-ass or poor, its called being a man.

Sacrificing a comfortable home so you can afford to buy over priced primer seaters and digital scales and reloading in the cold.. thats being a poor.

Whatever you do, do it with pride, do it with vigor, and remember to swear loudly when you get splinters from chopping wood. You deserve to swear loudly.

@Hobo Hilton there is a VERY big difference between being a poor, and being smart enough to be cheap when needed so you spend more money on gucci gear.

Having a really nice rifle, with a cheap-ass scope, because its "all i can afford" is being a poor. Having a heated house over winter is not being a tight-ass or poor, its called being a man.

Sacrificing a comfortable home so you can afford to buy over priced primer seaters and digital scales and reloading in the cold.. thats being a poor.

Whatever you do, do it with pride, do it with vigor, and remember to swear loudly when you get splinters from chopping wood. You deserve to swear loudly.
Those are some wise observations. The people I have the most respect for are those that are "doing the best they can, with what they have to work with"....

There are day's when admitting you are Poor is like wearing a "Badge of Courage".
Last year my fixed income allowed me to live "Paycheck to Paycheck". This year, due to inflation, some things now have to be dropped from my routine purchases. Life has kicked me around. I see the recession as nothing more than a challenge. Look at the challenges those that settled America faced in comparison to out daily challenges in 2022.

I like to stay warm during these Montana winters. I've hauled 3 loads of wood I can burn in my wood stove. It was free, not prime firewood that is selling for $250 / cord. Welcome to the "Poor's".
EDIT: $275 / cord

View attachment 7907959View attachment 7907960

Don't use much heat here, but at least some AC every month of the year. The house we sold a couple years ago had an average power bill of about $400. Over $500 in the hotter months. Can't imagine what the new owners are paying. Current house is smaller and much better insulated.

We eat out a lot and never really thought about the check. Recently noticed that breakfast at local Mom & Pop's has almost doubled in the past year. $3.50 for a glass of iced tea.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I joke, as do many here, just because we won't drop big $$ on toys, doesn't mean we couldn't or never have. As one ages, hopefully gathering wisdom along the way, your list of want vs need starts changing. I'm frugal, in that if I see I can buy something in bulk to save $$, I will, be it a case of ammo or a gallon over a quart of something, I fix things for a living, so I'm not constantly buying things because a piece broke. If I ever needed a tool to make my living, be it a shovel or a truck, it was justified , I didn't think twice. We all are on different levels, thus some have more disposable money at times. In my younger heydays, I owned $100,000 just in H&Ks. Started selling them off after '08 and my son was still in college. I really miss some of them, but at this point I accepted I will never justify spending what it would cost to replace them (holy shit! Prices on most have more than doubled!?!).
That's all, I'll go back to my corner and work on my cheap AR project, practicing my poors skills...

There are day's when admitting you are Poor is like wearing a "Badge of Courage".
Last year my fixed income allowed me to live "Paycheck to Paycheck". This year, due to inflation, some things now have to be dropped from my routine purchases. Life has kicked me around. I see the recession as nothing more than a challenge. Look at the challenges those that settled America faced in comparison to out daily challenges in 2022.

I like to stay warm during these Montana winters. I've hauled 3 loads of wood I can burn in my wood stove. It was free, not prime firewood that is selling for $250 / cord. Welcome to the "Poor's".
EDIT: $275 / cord

View attachment 7907959View attachment 7907960
My Brother in law was a logger, most of his life, from Choker setter to faller to skidders. His side job was cuting firewood. Since he worked from about 4 or 5 AM, and finished up at around 3:30, or so, he would stay for an hour or two and cut a big load of lodgepole, to take home. he still cuts firewood for his home heat, and sells loads. He old, broken up, and still works harder than I ever did. And still goes Elk Hunting during Oregon Archery season.
That’s not his truck. His wouldn’t squat. Someone ordered a load of fir.
E664116B-3BE3-4D9C-98AE-55086E3B5A7B.jpeg

06A0ACDA-F86D-4245-9A4F-BEF373AB390B.jpeg

Last edited:
Sold off my old Ranch Truck this week. It has done a good job and it's now is heading to another ranch in Eastern Montana. Shopping for a replacement has brought back memories of the past 3 - 4 recessions all the way back to the oil embargo of the 1970's.
There is a special group of people out there that paid way too much for a used truck during the vehicle shortage. Now, that used truck has cost them an arm and a leg to keep going. Today's price for a replacement engine or transmission is 50% of what they paid for the truck. Bought a $10k truck and put in a $6k motor and are trying to sell it off with a bad transmission for $16k... Their pitch line is "I'm selling it for what I got in it". Some of the ads have a little Kelly Blue Book sticker down in the corner. Many are saying "Asking price is $6,000 above the KBB value." Deja Vu.

A recession is always a learning lesson in economics. Welcome to the Poor's.

Reactions: BAMAboy18
Sold off my old Ranch Truck this week. It has done a good job and it's now is heading to another ranch in Eastern Montana. Shopping for a replacement has brought back memories of the past 3 - 4 recessions all the way back to the oil embargo of the 1970's.
There is a special group of people out there that paid way too much for a used truck during the vehicle shortage. Now, that used truck has cost them an arm and a leg to keep going. Today's price for a replacement engine or transmission is 50% of what they paid for the truck. Bought a $10k truck and put in a $6k motor and are trying to sell it off with a bad transmission for $16k... Their pitch line is "I'm selling it for what I got in it". Some of the ads have a little Kelly Blue Book sticker down in the corner. Many are saying "Asking price is $6,000 above the KBB value." Deja Vu.

A recession is always a learning lesson in economics. Welcome to the Poor's.

I bought a '16 Nissan Frontier 2 years ago and it's worth more now than what I paid for it. I have an '02 Ram that I should sell, but can't quite convince myself to, I may want it for towing heavier things.

I bought a '16 Nissan Frontier 2 years ago and it's worth more now than what I paid for it. I have an '02 Ram that I should sell, but can't quite convince myself to, I may want it for towing heavier things.
New cars are getting increasingly expensive. But they’re also more durable than before, which means drivers have a better chance of getting their money’s worth.
As the average transaction price for new cars reached an estimated $45,872 in November — the highest on record, according to a joint forecast from J.D. Power and LMC Automotive — the average age of cars on the road also hit an all-time high of 12.2 years in 2022, a separate report by IHS Markit found.

I am fortunate I have a heated shop and some ability to make routine maintenance repairs on my vehicle. As more people go to work in the leisure and hospitality sector, rent apartments and just get by.... They are forced to pay other's to repair their vehicles or simply not own a vehicle.

Reactions: babyguppy
New cars are getting increasingly expensive. But they’re also more durable than before, which means drivers have a better chance of getting their money’s worth.
As the average transaction price for new cars reached an estimated $45,872 in November — the highest on record, according to a joint forecast from J.D. Power and LMC Automotive — the average age of cars on the road also hit an all-time high of 12.2 years in 2022, a separate report by IHS Markit found.

I am fortunate I have a heated shop and some ability to make routine maintenance repairs on my vehicle. As more people go to work in the leisure and hospitality sector, rent apartments and just get by.... They are forced to pay other's to repair their vehicles or simply not own a vehicle.

lol, they are more expensive but better and you can have them longer is the bird song for salesmen since prostitution became the oldest profession!

I had a 71 Camaro that was still running strong. Granted I had to put in a new engine at 200k miles, but at 1500 dollars... I well recouped my $ vs buying a new car. Cars last longer when they don't have to fight salted roads.
now, just buy a 99 camary and call it a lifetime.

Reactions: MarshallDodge

I have two in the top five of that list, one being a Toyota Tundra. I bought it used with 13K miles, and the only dissatisfaction I have with it is the radio reception sucks, but otherwise it's one hell of a vehicle. I'm the type of person who tends to keep vehicles longer than average if it's a good vehicle. The vehicle I sold after buying the Tundra was an 03 Ford Ranger with 190K miles and still going strong. I had bought that truck new from the dealer, and it has served well over the years. Hated to see it go, but the Tundra should follow in it's footsteps with more capabilities.

IMG_20191008_163039977.jpg
IMG_20200930_155227627_HDR.jpg

I like that posting Sniperwannabee

A story I heard about 50 years ago. A member of one of the motor cycle gangs had to leave California in a hurry. Around El Paso he spend the last of his money on a quart of oil and a jug of gasoline and headed towards Texas on the southern route (Long before I-10). Harley was leaking bad between the cases when he dumped that last quart in it. He rode until it quit. Knowing the Mexicans would strip the bike when he left it, he dumped it over, poured the gasoline all over it, lit it on fire and held out his thumb to catch a ride to Texas...

I'm driving beater Cavalier with 220k miles on it. When it finally dies and leaves me on the side of the road, that story will surely cross my mind.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
1674489915567-png.8055330

So it's O.K. now to come in late, leave early and miss all my deadlines? Got it! (y)

- just bustin' your chops, @Hobo Hilton. I really do get it, but I HATE passing up the opportunity to make a bad joke, and you gotta admit, that one was begging for it! :ROFLMAO:

The irony is that a lot of the slackers Elon Musk laid off at Twitter probably still don't get it.

1674489915567-png.8055330

So it's O.K. now to come in late, leave early and miss all my deadlines? Got it! (y)

- just bustin' your chops, @Hobo Hilton. I really do get it, but I HATE passing up the opportunity to make a bad joke, and you gotta admit, that one was begging for it! :ROFLMAO:

The irony is that a lot of the slackers Elon Musk laid off at Twitter probably still don't get it.
No harm, no foul........ I'm right there with you.
When one of the young guy's says they are considering starting their own business....
My first thought:
You will work harder for yourself than any previous boss you ever had... When that phone rings at 2am on a Sunday morning and your wife is having pre-labor pains, you never look at the clock. Off you go....
I'm the one in the starched khaki shirt, taken about 2 a,... somewhere.
Scan_Pic0006.jpg

Reactions: rhsc
Not sure why you are complaining. I'm the guy paying for your social security ;)

Seriously though, let this be a lesson to the younger crowd. Live within your means. Sacrificing now, and putting a little away for your future, can go along ways to making your retirement a little easier.

Retirement?

We'll work until we're dead and we'll enjoy it, or else!

I'm just hoping it's a massive heart attack that drops me in my shop while I'm messing with my toys. There's too much modern medicine keeping us alive but miserable for too long.

When one of the young guy's says they are considering starting their own business....
My first thought:
You will work harder for yourself than any previous boss you ever had... When that phone rings at 2am on a Sunday morning and your wife is having pre-labor pains, you never look at the clock. Off you go....
View attachment 8055738
What’s going on there?

Retirement?

We'll work until we're dead and we'll enjoy it, or else!

I'm just hoping it's a massive heart attack that drops me in my shop while I'm messing with my toys. There's too much modern medicine keeping us alive but miserable for too long.
I have a plan to be eaten alive! It started while attending East Anchorage high. I imagined it would be a brown bear, now as a resident of LA (Lower Alabama) and getting older, I'm relegated to either a shark, not as likely, or alligators.
I want to be that urban legend guy people talk about. We all have dreams...

My first thought:
View attachment 8055738
That's a OLD photo. Looks like 24"? That work site wouldn't be allowed today. Not enough egress points, not enough fire watch, no trench box, no gas detector, not enough .........., and not enough company inspectors on the side of the ditch! And must not be a union job, not enough people period.
Been there done that.

• Haha
Reactions: NoDopes
That's a OLD photo. Looks like 24"? That work site wouldn't be allowed today. Not enough egress points, not enough fire watch, no trench box, no gas detector, not enough .........., and not enough company inspectors on the side of the ditch! And must not be a union job, not enough people period.
Been there done that.
Union job... UA Local 250, Southern CA.......
I am retired. At times I miss those jobs. The young guy's I worked with are now Project Superintendents.... They tell me I would not like it now. Nothing can be fabricated onsite without having a detailed drawing stamped by a structural engineer. Everything must come "Off the Shelf".... More time spent in "Safety meetings" than spent under the welding hood.
Let's pray that America does not have to gear up to fight a war. It will be over before Craftsmen could be trained and put to work.
The downfall continues.

Attachments

• Downward spiral 1.jpg
    Downward spiral 1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: babyguppy
I am retired. At times I miss those jobs. The young guy's I worked with are now Project Superintendents.... They tell me I would not like it now. Nothing can be fabricated onsite without having a detailed drawing stamped by a structural engineer. Everything must come "Off the Shelf".... More time spent in "Safety meetings" than spent under the welding hood.
Let's pray that America does not have to gear up to fight a war. It will be over before Craftsmen could be trained and put to work.
The downfall continues.
Yup. When the crew on my job can almost all be my sons, things have changed for sure.

The downfall continues.

Remember the TV show from the 70's, Emergency (Squad 51)?

Watched a few episodes the last couple weeks. Funny how all those "Safety Violations" stand out by today's standards.

No gloves when climbing using ropes, ladders not tied off, not clipped in when in the bucket, etc.

Been there done that.

You missed having the safety guy on site. He'd be telling you to move the fire extinguisher and those sections of pry bars because they are gonna land on someone's head. That's why you gotta wear your hard hat.
Speaking of that, Tommy, put yer dang hard hat on. Iffin that 24" pipe hits you, I don't want you dyin' while I'm here.

And git yer fingers outta the pipe fuhlangees or they'll git cut offen yer hands.

Waitaminnit!! Dang it Bob!! Yuh caint be in the pit with yer cowboy boots on.

Who's running the O2 analyzer? Where's yer dig permit? Confined space permit?
Who allowed those steel tools in an explosive atmosphere? Is that ladder marked "do not use around electrical equipment"? Why are there only two rungs above the ground level? Who forgot to chock the forklift wheels? Is Earl certified to drive it? Has everyone had their shots? Where is your hearing protection Bob? Has the fire extinguisher been inspected? Did anyone perform Lockout, Tagout? Did everyone install their own locks? Who certified the sling?

Okay fellers,
Now that we have the pipes aligned and the all of the bolts are started, does anyone think we should use those gaskets that are up on ground level...😄😄

You missed having the safety guy on site. He'd be telling you to move the fire extinguisher and those sections of pry bars because they are gonna land on someone's head. That's why you gotta wear your hard hat.
Speaking of that, Tommy, put yer dang hard hat on. Iffin that 24" pipe hits you, I don't want you dyin' while I'm here.

And git yer fingers outta the pipe fuhlangees or they'll git cut offen yer hands.

Waitaminnit!! Dang it Bob!! Yuh caint be in the pit with yer cowboy boots on.

Who's running the O2 analyzer? Where's yer dig permit? Confined space permit?
Who allowed those steel tools in an explosive atmosphere? Is that ladder marked "do not use around electrical equipment"? Why are there only two rungs above the ground level? Who forgot to chock the forklift wheels? Is Earl certified to drive it? Has everyone had their shots? Where is your hearing protection Bob? Has the fire extinguisher been inspected? Did anyone perform Lockout, Tagout? Did everyone install their own locks? Who certified the sling?

Okay fellers,
Now that we have the pipes aligned and the all of the bolts are started, does anyone think we should use those gaskets that are up on ground level...😄😄
while I agree, some of the regs are crazy... I do feel better about a few, Is Earl certified to drive it? "
Unless you know the guy and have seen him work; I've seen some people that shouldn't be near equipment. Granted, a certification doesn't make them better, but it's better that watching Jimmy learn to drive it his first day and you are in the pit.
'I can drive it'
1674746481913.jpeg

Reactions: Emerson0311