• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s The scariest video I have ever watched

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
I'm a little embarrassed to admit it but while watching this I had butterflies in my stomach, my hands, feet and legs started sweating and I was gripping the arms of the chair like my life depended on it. I'm not sure I could do this if there was $1,000,000.00 tax free waiting for me at the top. I love skydiving but this is just insane.

CLICK HERE

Re: The scariest video I have ever watched

Watching it now with a full pucker factor. Yikes.

I will admit also.....I was catching serious anxiety watching this. I would do it for the right sum of cash though.

You would think they would design a rail that your safety line would clip into once that would click as you went up, unclamping only to go to the next section.

"If a storm is blowing through, there's no quick way down."

I can think of one.

This is crazy.

Are they allowed to wear low profile parachutes like base jumpers wear if properly certified to so do?

I'm not gonna lie I had to stop watching a few times because of my unbelievably bad fear of heights. Funny that a video on a computer screen can trigger that kind of response.

what does that guy do if he has to take an immediate dump?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-RN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what does that guy do if he has to take an immediate dump?</div></div>

Set his line, drop trou' and let her rip I guess. Maybe he has TP in the tool bag.
smile.gif

I have done some climbing but that is incredible. Biggest worry in the back of my mind when climbing was always the fact that I was climbing a man-made structure and people make mistakes. That minor worry in the back of the head might get to be front and center if I were climbing a pipe with pegs on it almost 2000 feet in the air.

I too felt my nerves watching that video, that is pure crazy. Even with my fear of heights I'd be willing to do a job like that, only if I had a chute on though. When he was talking about the storm approaching, all I could think was unhook the tool bag and hook it up to the tower for later and push off and deploy the chute. I figure that tower is so narrow you should be able to work your way around to the leeward side so the wind would carry you and your chute away from the tower. Damn.

I used to to a lot of rock climbing 20 years ago. All the transitions with out being clipped in would give me a nervous break down. At least rock climbing you are always hooked. How does that change with just a 20knot wind? Gust up that high have got to be dangerous!

No way in hell could I do that. 1700 ft in the air climbing up a pole with carriage bolts as rungs?! NO

And I thought going up some of my old ham radio towers was fun. I could not do that and I'm not to proud to admit it either.

Maxwell

That fish eye lens is what's a real doozie. It would look like the dude was 20 feet from the ground if he was standing on it through that thing. With that in mind though, 1700 feet looked like miles. I'd be scared $hitless at that height.

I have a response in my body after I fell from a roof. Th response is the tingling feeling you get in your feet when you slide across carpet with your socks on.

Just watching that clip, I have that in my hands and my feet. Not cool!!!!

I can get up and climb anything in this world, I just am scared to DEATH to start my way down!!!!!

After a wile I can hang up there, but to climb down? HELL NO!!!!

John

You could put $1mill in cash up at the top and I still couldnt muster the guts to go get it, even if I was cabled in the whole way!

Whisket Tango Foxtrot........batman. That sucks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I want to know is how in the hell do you build a 2000' tower?

Cheers,

Doc</div></div>

Probably with guys like that on top waiting to guide in and bolt on each piece lowered by Helo!
I would love that job, down-climbing at the end of a 12 hour day would SUCK. I would much rather float down under canopy.
I wonder how far it sways from side to side at the top.

I think whats in his 30lb tool bag is his balls because that's how heavy they have to be if you willingly do that job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: earthtrekker1775</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I want to know is how in the hell do you build a 2000' tower?

Cheers,

Doc</div></div>

Probably with guys like that on top waiting to guide in and bolt on each piece lowered by Helo!
I would love that job, down-climbing at the end of a 12 hour day would SUCK. I would much rather float down under canopy.
I wonder how far it sways from side to side at the top. </div></div>

Climbing down would truly be the shitty part. I've climbed up a radio transmission tower a few times that is only 450 feet high and not only is it kinda scary when you start looking around, it's very physically demanding. Getting the ol' sewing machine leg going when your 450 feet off the ground is crap-your-pants scary enough, I can't imagine it at a couple thousand.

On another note, I've always wondered how in the hell they put in telephone poles on top of ridges that are not accessible by conventional machines. I mean you could set the pole in by helo, but how in the hell do you dig the hole to set it in?

BFD & PHFffff . The Big pussy had a elevator ride most the way there & then did the little bit of climb left to & up the transmission mast.

To hell with that!!! Ever hear of LED's! The height isn't what would get me, but what the hell do you do if you slip or suddenly cramp up or fatigue!!! and there's no reason they cant stay tied off. I had to be tied off on boilers 80' in the air.

Wonder how many base jumpers that tower has attracted.
laugh.gif

I don't have a fear of heights, but I would be bitching the whole way up having to carry 30 lbs of crap with me.

I hate hanging christmas lights.

My observations:

-the helmet camera makes it look much worse. I've climbed to 600'+ and the video was "dizzying" for me as well. I suspect it would have been even if shot at 20'.

-Surprised to see the climbers wearing gloves--at least cheap leather work gloves. I prefer to climb bare handed or with thin nitrile-coated gloves if the temp is below freezing.

-I don't get dragging the tool bag from a tether. I like to keep everything on my tool belt with the weight distributed as evenly as possible. On second thought, having the tools tethered like he did would allow the second climber to take the weight while the lead climber was making any difficult transitions. I suppose one could get used to it.

-From a physical standpoint, I'm surprised that the climber did not "position" off of the ladder when resting. He tied-off, but that doesn't resally allow your body to relax. I have a saddle on my climbing belt that I can position from and work or rest hands- and feetfree--kinda like a boatswain's seat.

-And finally: "What one man can do; another can do."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would think they would design a rail that your safety line would clip into once that would click as you went up, unclamping only to go to the next section. </div></div>

maybe you should suggest that to them. I am not scared of heights but that is just nuts. It was hard to tell but I think and hope that he was clipped in at 2 different spots so that in between him unclipping one he was still clipped on, pretty sure that is what the guy following up was doing(unclipping his other connection). You got to get pretty tired climbing way the hell up there.

I just wonder who has to go up there and repair stuff when it gets rusty and weak? Not me, that's for damn sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would think they would design a rail that your safety line would clip into once that would click as you went up, unclamping only to go to the next section. </div></div>

maybe you should suggest that to them. I am not scared of heights but that is just nuts. It was hard to tell but I think and hope that he was clipped in at 2 different spots so that in between him unclipping one he was still clipped on, pretty sure that is what the guy following up was doing(unclipping his other connection). You got to get pretty tired climbing way the hell up there. </div></div>

So if the second guy was unclipping for the first guy, who was unclipping for the second guy? Nope, they were free climbing and only clipping in to rest/work with both hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">^ o.k I dare you </div></div>

Pay for my trip out there and my legal fees and its done!
smile.gif

I fancy myself as one that does not mind heights, in fact, I enjoy heights. However this video sir definitely has a "pucker" factor of 9/10

Put that 1,000,000 up there for me to get it though and I'd be a happy climber.

Had my share of jumps back in the day, but somethin bout this video just made my feet and belly all tingly. I wouldn't give a damn bout time management, my ass would be clipping in the whole way up!

You really have to wonder how much it cost, in salary x 2, to change a freaking light bulb. Hats off to these cats, balls of steel for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30 seconds into it and you couldn't pull a needle out of my ass with a tractor. </div></div>

i dont think im unclenched yet, thats insane. i was all rocking back and forth saying oh man oh man oh man, dont do it dont do it and stop looking down, stop looking around. wow. amazing. i am a pussy, i could not do that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-RN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what does that guy do if he has to take an immediate dump?</div></div>
Ohhh Crap!
Hahahahahaha.
I bet someone has pee'd off a tower like that though.

Down below "Hey it's raining but I don't see any clouds".

A agree with one of the post that said there has to be a way to incorporate a safety line system / rod that you could clip onto say every 50' (With a fall arrest system).
one short 6mm climbing line and a light weight carabiner.
.......SmokeRolls

I wouldn't have to worry about having to take a dump when I was up there. I'd shit myself at the first sight of that f*cking tower.

Speaking of which, my sincere apologies, I appear to have defecated in my pants on watching that.

I wonder what they climbed as kids
grin.gif
I bet they gave their mother's hell growing up.