• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

the sound of subsonics

badshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2008
South Arkansas
I just loaded a few rounds of .308 using 10.0gr trailboss and a 175SMK. I was very pleased, I never thought a centerfire rifle could be this quiet. I don't have a can and I believe it is still quieter than my 17HMR. I didn't chrony any of them or shoot for a group, I was just testing the load. I think I found my new favorite load.

Yard varmits BEWARE!!

Re: the sound of subsonics

Just be careful that you don't go too low. If you stick a gilding metal jacket bullet, you have problems! If you want to go much lower, go with lead. They are taksan easier to drive out. JMHO

Is there a certain velocity I should stay above? I'm planning on staying with 10.0gr if that works okay.

thanks for the report badshooter, I have a few loose bulets and brass to play around w/ and started thinking of using them for sub loads.

From what i've read I dont think minumum vel is important. I think the common practice is to work down (instead of the traditional "up") from what you know is safe, to just under supersonic, and sticking w/ that. If I was you, I'd stick w/ it for the 175 smk.

if i had a can, and wanted to get serious, then I'd punch some paper before the can got put on to make sure the round was stable enough to run through the can. But i'd also look into shorter RN bullets that are easier to stabalize at lower vel.

but i dont have a can, and dont need to get serious. So i'll pick up a # of TB and use the 168's i got.