• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater The Tillman Story

socalsheepdog

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2010
Socal
http://www.tillmanstory.com/

Saw this with a couple of buddies last night. Was sad to see that there was only 5 people in the theater.

For those living under a rock, Pat Tillman was a professional football player who gave up a multi-million dollar contract in the NFL to enlist in the U.S. Army with his brother back in 2002. He was killed in Afghanistan in 2004 and the entire political machine used his death as propaganda to support our efforts in the Middle East. The controversy over this is the fact that they lied about how Tillman died, not just truth stretching but all out fabrication.

The documentary is well done and you get a good sense of what Tillman was like in his private life. You get some background as to why he made his decision to enlist and they chronicle much of the hoopla revolving around his NFL contract and the money he gave up to do so. There are some cool personal footage of Tillman from his Ranger training as well as some interesting interviews he conducted while playing for the AZ Cardinals.

The family is interviewed extensively. His mother and father played a huge roll in bringing this story public and pushing the Govt for answers regarding their son's death. Sadly there is no interview with Pat's brother Kevin who he served with and was present the day Pat died.

This film stirred up a few different emotions for me. I of course felt duped when this story played out in real time years ago but even more so last night sitting in that theater. As many questions this film answered, it left me leaving with more unanswered. The accounts of what happened that day from fellow soldiers are difficult to hear and after hearing them you can't help but wonder how this could have happened. I was always under the impression that the friendly fire incident that took Pat's life was a case of mistaken identity (this is maintained throughout the interviews). I thought each team was firing on each other from hundreds of yards and that seems to not be the case. Pat was apparently killed from less then 50 yards and this was after he popped smoke. I found myself wanting to rewind this section of the film to make sure I was comprehending this right. It was disturbing and explains the exhaustive effort on the part of Pat's family to push for answers. The congressional hearing at the end regarding the P4 cover up memo will make your stomach turn.

If you have time, and this is playing at a theater near you, I would recommend you see it. Take a few friends with you because you will want someone to discuss this with. I will be looking for this when it is released on DVD, there are many parts I want to review again. I walked out of the theater wondering just how much of an accident this was.

Re: The Tillman Story

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tucsondave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They should make a holiday in Az for Mr Tillman </div></div>

Amen

Didn't realize this was playing around here. Just found a showing in Irvine. I will go to it tomorrow.

Thanks for cluing me in that it was actually playing around here.

I don't want to come off wrong here, but don't forget that almost all documentaries are anything but un-bias. Some spin the facts less than others and some edit in a more honest way that others, but it is a rarity for a documentary anything but one sided.

I'm not defending anyone, just saying keep it in context- everyone has an agenda- noble or not, it does prevent truly fair reporting.

It's on my list to go see...

I agree DP, but I never view documentaries as "news reporting". They are always from one side or another. This documentary was from the point of view of the Tillman family so it will obviously be biased, they have been pretty upset with this whole fiasco.

They never say in the film that Pat was "murdered" but they present testimony in a way that makes you wonder if it was possible. I did a little Google Fu yesterday and found a lot of stuff that talks about that possibility. I didn't ever realize that option was on the table until I saw the film. I won't say he was murdered or that there was a conspiracy to do so but if the testimony that was featured in the film is accurate, it does raise questions.

I am going to try to find some time to read Jon Krakauer's book Where Men Win Glory. It revolves around a lot of Pat's letters home and journal writings.

You can also find a lot of speculation that our own government brought down the towers- just because people believe it to be true or even possible doesn't mean it stands up to the test of reality. We had one of our teams almost get slaughtered in early 05 by a platoon of strikers- when communication was finally made that they were friendly, the 20 or so dudes were within about 50m from our 5 man team.

And their location was supposed to have been input to BFT.

To the lay person, a situation like this might bring up questions like "50m?!?! How could you NOT realize they were friendly within 50m!?!?! How do you NOT check your BFT to see if those dudes are friendly?"

Easy, BFT entry was about 15 clicks off and identifying friend or foe with NVG isn't very easy when you have NO idea that friendlies are in that area and they are trying to stay down/hidden so they don't get shot. The very things you do to save your ass make you look guilty (getting really low, taking cover, smoke... all things an enemy would do to try to get away...). It isn't easy to convince people you are not the enemy when they already think you are.

It doesn't rule out the possibility that he was murdered, but when you take things into prospective, it's a lot less likely than some might say. It lends credence to the plausibility of it being an accident. I just try to be objective and look at the known facts through the eyes of both parties.

Friendly fire isn't! Yes, Big Army lied to his parents, so what. Would you want your parent, wife, husband or kids to know your buddies killed you?

His team made him out to be a hero saving them in a fire fight. But mom wanted to know everything that happened. Then the real story came out, thanks mom.

My 2¢, somethings are better left unsaid.

I haven't seen this film. One reason is that when the announcer in the promo ad says that the cover up went to the highest levels in the government, a picture of GW is flashed on the screen. I'm now wondering whether the movie explores this possibility or if the ad is another Bush-bashing moment.

IMHO, it's not a Bush bashing film. But it does shine a light on the people who answer to him. I thought it was fair in that regard.

shitty things happen to good people every day. just because he was a high payed, high profiled football player. that gave up football to preform a duty for his country. makes him no more special than joe who lived in a run down trailer, and signed the same enlistment. make a movie about joe too!

I don't agree with you Boris. It does make him different. In a society that puts so much emphasis on money, where our collective goals are to get money and spend money it makes Tillman different from that guy in the trailer. It's a pipe dream to think otherwise, and that attitude about money is, IMHO, killing our country. Nothing good can come from putting money first and foremost in our lives or spending out whole lives chasing it. The motives between Tillman and "Joe" are the same but the money on the table makes the difference.

Boris- My understanding of Pat Tillman is relegated to what articles I've read and programs I've seen. However, the manner in which he conducted himself- with humility, with honor, with pride, reflects on joe.

The main theme seemed to be he just loved people. Apparently never wanted to talk about his status in the NFL and such and just wanted to hear joe's story.

So, in a way, Pat's story is Joe's story. Pat Tillman represented a segment of the population in many more ways than the obvious. Yes, he was a celebrity. Yes, he had a lot going for him. But he was also a thinker. Thinking soldiers sometimes feel the loneliest of all. Thinking can be bad. Sometimes the thinking soldier says "FUCK WAR" and bails. When I read about how well read and exciting about learning Pat Tillman was, it got me excited. A guy who read Noam Chomsky and is also a Ranger. WTF? But it's inspiring. He was just being himself. He was also a genuine badass. But he was just being himself.

If all the public gets out of this is "some football star saw flags and left to chase patriotic glory"...well, they didn't pay attention to the protagonist and his death continues to be in absolute vain for those people because they are too pigheaded to get it.

If they leave saying "A normal guy, doing an abnormal thing got killed in an abnormal situation, what about all the other normal guys?", then I think that his death might serve a small fraction of a purpose in comparison to the hole it left behind- Because it draws attention to the fact that EVERY death leaves a hole behind.

Pat Tillman demonstrated where his heart was when he joined. He had the opportunity to ride out a contract and never earn a CIB and be a pretty poster boy. He chose to stick it out with the grunts- and not only the grunts, but Rangers! He might have come from celebrity, but he his blood spilled on foreign soil in defense of a principle that transcended class and circumstance, bank accounts and VIP status. So in that sense, he was just another joe. And really, I think from what I've read, that he'd probably like it that way.

One of my only gripes about this film is a part where his mother talks about reading an AAR where a soldier said he "wanted to stay in the fight" and how it's interpreted as meaning he was trigger happy or recklessly aggressive. While I think it's completely understandable to someone outside of the .mil community to interpret it that way, I'm fairly certain the intention of those words had more to do with a soldier's courage under fire and not wanting to let his buddies down because he was scared or injured.

I live in san jose, ca. He went to lealand high school in almaden. The football field has been named after him. His mother is still lives in new almaden. There is a bronze statue in new almaden of Pat Tillman in town.

I saw this the other night as well. It showed a totally different view that I hadnt seen before. I knew the dude was very cool as a person, and this supported that. Looking back when this happened; Fox, CNN, et all did exploit his name, something he wouldnt ever have agreed with. And yes the 'murder' idea was presented which I hadnt even thought of before. And it did seem like they hinted at Cheney and Bush playing a part in covering it up, but that was a 20 second blurb towards the end.

The dude was inspiring, stuck to his word, and was honest as all get out. This supported that. Its a shame that he got used/exploited like he did.