• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The ultimate long range coyote rifle - stretched it out a little

Boltfluter

Gunny Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
Haines, Oregon
Hey guys,

I finally finished my version of the ultimate long range coyote rifle. This rifle was put together by that guy at PPR. You know, that guy that does all the bolt fluting. LOL. I coated all metal in Sniper Grey Cerakote.
Chambered in 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Load development was short and sweet. 38.0 gr. of Varget over a 130 Berger VLD does the trick nicely. I decided to make my own muzzle brake out of a remnant of barrel. Worked out nicely.
And the best part is that the rifle comes in at 10.5 lbs. all up. Time to find some coyotes!

Here are the specifics of the build:

Bighorn short action
Bighorn 20 MOA base
McMillan A-5 with the Edge Tech. 2.25 lbs.
Jewell Trigger set at 8 oz.
Hart barrel fluted by PPR
Chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua by PPR
Pillar Bedded by PPR
Nightforce 3.5 x 15 x 56 w/ M.O.A. reticle
PT&G bottom metal w/AI mag
Atlas bi-pod

Thanks for checking it out.

Paul

Last edited:
VERY, VERY, VERY, F-ing Nice!!

Great Components.

Damn I wish McMillan Made an A5 style stock only without the butt hook.

as always, sir, beautiful work. If you ever need some assistance with squeezing the trigger on that rig, give me a holler! ;)

Very nice looking rifle. I love the color choice too. Ive been out goofing off in the hills lately and havent seen one damn coyote. I think they all went into hiding. hahah. I heard a few at dusk when I was out past the prison on Plesant Valley, but not a one from Willow Creek all the way over to High Valley. Its a coyote conspiracy I tell ya!!! HAHAHAAH,... Sweet rifle tho. :)

Very nice looking rifle. I love the color choice too. Ive been out goofing off in the hills lately and havent seen one damn coyote. I think they all went into hiding. hahah. I heard a few at dusk when I was out past the prison on Plesant Valley, but not a one from Willow Creek all the way over to High Valley. Its a coyote conspiracy I tell ya!!! HAHAHAAH,... Sweet rifle tho. :)

Jack,

They seem to go into hiding during deer season in October. But, they will reappear in force in November. Let the shooting begin.

Paul

Great looking rifle! Please post a long range kill when you get one.

The first victim shot at 375 yds. while trying to kill a calf. Quite a battle between the Mama cow and coyote. Bad dog. Just a chip shot for most of you guys, but a fun hunt. At least for me. LOL. My hunting buddy have him a couple of bites just for good measure.

Paul

Nice coyote!!! He looks healthy with a thick full coat. Im jelous!!

The first victim shot at 375 yds. while trying to kill a calf. Quite a battle between the Mama cow and coyote. Bad dog. Just a chip shot for most of you guys, but a fun hunt. At least for me. LOL. My hunting buddy have him a couple of bites just for good measure.

Paul

Paul

There you go! Great job Paul!!

Damn coyotes are thick this year. We live on a farm about 25 minutes from the city and for the amount of land we have, there are just to many yotes. Ive been hunting them at night some and its helping cull the numbers.
I use my 22 Creedmoor. Does the trick!

Damn coyotes are thick this year. We live on a farm about 25 minutes from the city and for the amount of land we have, there are just to many yotes. Ive been hunting them at night some and its helping cull the numbers.
I use my 22 Creedmoor. Does the trick!

KYS,

Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Keep shooting.

Paul

Last edited:
Managed to stretch it out a little. Big dog drilled at 480 yds. Changed to a 123 A-max for much better expansion. First pic is the "Hide". A new spot I picked up where the cows take a dirt nap. LOL. I am really enjoying this rifle.

Regards, Paul

Last edited:
Love everything about.... it's just missing something! A can:)

Did you get AJ to modify the rear tang on that action? I got a Beanland build in the works running the TL2 and I had to send the action back to get it modified, as the rear tang sat to high in my McM A5 (eye sore for me).

Last edited:
That's a lovely rifle you have there. Good to see it being used for something other than paper. Keep making the world a better place.

Love everything about.... it's just missing something! A can:)

Did you get AJ to modify the rear tang on that action? I got a Beanland build in the works running the TL2 and I had to send the action back to get it modified, as the rear tang sat to high in my McM A5 (eye sore for me).

It has the tactical rear tang and was inlet just as you see it. Not being flush would drive me crazy as well. McMillan did a great job on the inletting. Sounds like the wrong inlet may have been ordered. Just a thought.

Paul

Nice to have a partner on the same page. Priceless.
Nice rifle too.
I had a scruffy dog in my sights wile shooting prarie dogs a few months ago. Sent one over him in haste. Exciting.

It has the tactical rear tang and was inlet just as you see it. Not being flush would drive me crazy as well. McMillan did a great job on the inletting. Sounds like the wrong inlet may have been ordered. Just a thought.

Paul

Well, I didn't even think of that option (inletting the stock, as I was already tired of waiting on other parts:)) I called up AJ and he said send it back and he'll take care of it. So it's a TL2 with a sporter tang.

Regardless, you did an awesome job with this build. A lightweight hammer! A perfect mix between a "tactical" rifle and a hunting rifle.

Great build and good to see it being used!

On the bolt knob, is that the Big Horn hunter knob and has it been modified? Thanks.

sweet set up, love it when someone decides to step outside the NORMAL and try something new, PREDATOR BEWARE