• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thought Turkeys were supposed to be smart

tuckner

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
At the range yesterday shooting at 100 yards, working on the fundamentals. A momma turkey was walking left to right in the field to the left of my targets. I continue shooting and she continued to walk the same direction crossing directly in front of the targets where rounds were impacting. I noted she had a few young ones with her. As soon as she was out of the line of fire I resumed. Five minutes later she comes from right to left again with her troop. She was asking to be taken, but alas, she had young birds with her, it's not hunting season, and I am ethical.

Re: Thought Turkeys were supposed to be smart

Turkeys are far from smart.
They are instinctive when it comes to threats.
She's probably spent her whole life around that range, and she's probably heard more shots than you have.

If she's never associated danger with gunfire, then her little pea-sized brain has nothing to fear.

I was wondering how many of you would have taken the shot. I was doing the practical tactical target and was ready to remove her beady eye. I seriously considered it as I was the only one on the range on a Monday afternoon, when I seen the younger birds I said no for sure.

rumor is that they are so stupid when it rains they have been known to drown from looking up

If I had wanted a turkey dinner I would have done it.
The young ones should be big enough to fend for themselves now.

I don't know if I could have resisted that shot. Fresh turkey is always good
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the range yesterday shooting at 100 yards, working on the fundamentals. A momma turkey was walking left to right in the field to the left of my targets. I continue shooting and she continued to walk the same direction crossing directly in front of the targets where rounds were impacting. I noted she had a few young ones with her. As soon as she was out of the line of fire I resumed. Five minutes later she comes from right to left again with her troop. She was asking to be taken, but alas, she had young birds with her, it's not hunting season, and I am ethical. </div></div>Same exact thing happened to me, more than once, at my range. Almost shot one ACCIDENTALLY when it wandered in front of my target during a string of fire, from outside of my field of view.

Stupid stupid. They were actually at the range this morning, there is a flock of them that lives there pretty much.

I've been able to watch a couple smaller Toms commence to spur and wing whip the Big Tom that was just shot. The big Tom is flopping around giving up the ghost and the other fellas decide to get in their shots while they can. Others have jumped and flown a short distance, then returned to scratching the ground. You do question their intelligence some times, but they are a wary species to hunt.

Turkeys = not smart

Ever heard of the term 'bird brained'? Wurr do you think it comes from?

I guess I shouldn't have trusted my buddy who is a big turkey hunter. He would tell me how smart they were and tough to hunt. I think he interprets their keen eyesight and paranoia as intelligence, which clearly isn't the case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tuckner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I shouldn't have trusted my buddy who is a big turkey hunter. He would tell me how smart they were and tough to hunt. I think he interprets their keen eyesight and paranoia as intelligence, which clearly isn't the case. </div></div>

If the turkey out smarted your buddy then maybe you should keep a closer eye on your buddy so that he doesn't accidentally do anything to hurt himself or others. lol

Oh no....turkeys are smart....but only for those few weeks of hunting season, then they get all stupid again!

Reminds me of a gun fire friendly whitetail at my local range. It has no fear it seems like. When it stepped into my crosshairs I wanted so badly to zip a .204 40gr berger through its upright ear. But I resisted the temptation. A turkey on the other hand...Nom Nom Nom.

I've had turkeys cross the range as well as deer while I'm shooting, but the most common critter to see on my range are groundhogs and rabbits. Needless to say the hogs usually don't make it back to their holes when I'm around. They seem to know though that most of the shooters that come to the range are not capable of hitting the target backstop at 100 yards let alone 300 so they rarely come inside 200 yards. No bother to me though, cause I'm normally shooting at the 2 or 300 yard targets anyway. Last hog I seen there got a 150g Nosler Bt up the tailpipe at 300, it wasn't a pretty scene, not much left of the little bugger.

Guys, just a quick heads up.

Here in Alabama, it is illegal to take a turkey with a rifle. If a turkey happened to "accidentally" fly into my line of fire and perish in a tragic manner, I definitely wouldn't be bragging about it on a public forum with numerous agency (read F&W) observers.

YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, just a quick heads up.

Here in Alabama, it is illegal to take a turkey with a rifle. If a turkey happened to "accidentally" fly into my line of fire and perish in a tragic manner, I definitely wouldn't be bragging about it on a public forum with numerous agency (read F&W) observers.

YMMV </div></div>

My uncle was shot when by a guy turkey hunting with a 223 when he was about 13 years old. Luckily he survived, lucky for the hunter mostly since I hear my grandfather was about ready to kill him with his bare hands.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, just a quick heads up.

YMMV </div></div>

Unless I missed something no one said they shot any turkeys, deer,bear, or any other game that I can see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bucksquirelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, just a quick heads up.

YMMV </div></div>

Unless I missed something no one said they shot any turkeys, deer,bear, or any other game that I can see. </div></div>

The inference is plainly clear in more than one post.

I wouldn't have shot the bird even if it didn't have babies with it. It's called discipline. At the rifle range I go to, there's tons of squirrels that run around near the target stands at the 100 yard range. I have never seen or heard about anyone shooting them.

Last leisurely day I had at the range, a jackrabbit came hopping across at about 25 yards...I tried to put some fear into him, but he just didnt care much. Must be awfully comfortable with gunfire...

not at the range but.....

Riding my bike on the Blue Ridge Parkway near Boone NC last summer and 4-5 turkeys were "standing" in the middle of the road. I had to stop the bike, rev the motor and blow the horn to get them to move, very elusive creature.

have had similar experience with both mule deer and antelope, zeroing my Father-in-laws rifle and plinking at the farm young buck speed goat pops out of teh ravine and walks right at us maybe 150-200 yds out as i am firing. didnt hit him but D@** that thing wasnt scared at all, no one hunts speed goat on that land= no fear of gunfire. had to stand up and yell at the dumb thing to get it to leave.

I stepped out the back door one day and there was a tom standing between me and my car, about ten feet away. He stood still long enough for me to reach back inside the door and grab the .22 I kept leaning against the door frame. I figured his lack of spooking was proof positive of genetic inferiority and I was doing his species a favor by removing him from the breeding pool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jollyrancher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rumor is that they are so stupid when it rains they have been known to drown from looking up</div></div>

My mother has witnessed this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey maser the bet is up to 240.00 , why so reclusive from the hot sauce thread? Your a damn pussy ass liar! </div></div>

Great minds think alike!
I just called him out on another thread about the same way.
(He is on right now, but probably laying low.)
Made me think of this.

http://bussongs.com/songs/daisy_daisy.php