• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Thoughts on hornady interlock for hunting

Alabama556

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 15, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    I am getting ready to load a batch of 30-338 and thought I would give the interlock a try. I have been using the nosler accubond. I use a 165 grain bullet in this rifle.

Do any of you have any experience with the interbond?

Thanks

I am about to work up a new 300WSM load for deer and have had the same question. I will be interested to see the responses on this.

Used it (hornady interbond) once out of R750 30-06, and had one dead whitetail, decent 4x5 not a trophy. Sold it (the rifle) afterwords, but it did it's job, nice blood trail, never found the bullet.

~Joseph~
    Via Tapatalk

I believe it is the same as an SST, just a soft point instead of the poly tip. SST is the updated interloc. No hornady bullet has ever let me down.

I just loaded 25 for my 338, along with 25 Nosler Partitions too. Found them both to be very consistent, unlike the Sierra Game Kings I loaded, which had lead tips so soft I could deform them with my thumb. I'm sure any of them will perform well hunting, will be interesting to see their accuracy at the range this week.

Have had great success using the 150-165gr out of 30-06. But the 117gr out of a 25-06 was the no deer killingst rig that has ever been.

I've killed more deer in west Texas with the Hornady interloc bullet than anything else. I have never lost a deer shooting these and the blood trails are awesome.

Best shot with these bullets was on a doe 323 yards. She ran about 20 and piled up. I've got a large stockpile just in case ;)

Is there no difference between the sst and the interlock? The SST's I shoot out of my 243 have a ring around the middle of the bullet for a crimp?

Is there no difference between the sst and the interlock? The SST's I shoot out of my 243 have a ring around the middle of the bullet for a crimp?

Interlocks also have a cannelure. I have never seated mine where the cannelure is underneath the brass, and in calibers > .223 I do not crimp.

You can compare here - SST's and interlocks share the same makeup where they mushroom and don't come apart - the only real difference is that the SST's have the poly tip, and the interlocks have a soft lead tip. You'll probably see a higher BC and tighter groups with the SST's.
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Bullet Type :: SST®

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Bullet Type :: InterLock®
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Bullet Type :: InterBond®

The SST's and interlocks have a cran. ring for crimping, the InterBond's do not. The SST's in 150 - 165 are deadly on deer, and nearly half the cost of the interbond's. The SST is probably my favorite "all around bullet".

My deer loads are .280 Rem Hornady 139gr SST Superformance, and 7.62x54R with Hornady '.303' 150gr Interlock and 49.0gr of IMR-4064 through a Mosin-Nagant 91/30.

As for accuracy I find the interlocks to fire spectacular out of my 30 cal rifles. The only thing is they are an old school cup and core bullet. So at various velocities and ranges you may have fragmentation or pass though. Not knocking them as the good ol interlock/ corelokt / power point /and hot core has taken many game in the US. The SST is similar with a boat tail and poly tip for expansion and bit better BC. Now the 180 and 190 interlock have the boat tail and the BC is right up there with the 178 SST and Amax.

A great resource on bullet performance can be found at Nathan Foster's website. He is out of NZ and has done extensive studies on terminal ballistics and effects on particular projectiles on game. He does not have data on the 30-338, but some other chambering should match the velocity and give a general idea on performance.

Knowledgebase

As for interbonds, I am sure they are a nice bullet, but pretty pricey. I can find the Noslers AB and PT for half to quarter the price here

Bullets

Not always in stock so you have to check every day because they go fast.

Last edited: