• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thoughts on Magpul PRS Lite?

I'll do my best to describe how I went about shortening the length of pull. Not difficult, just a little tedious and worth the effort for me. Yes, the work does look a little crude, but when complete an reassembled, none of the cuts can be seen.

First step is to completely disassemble the stock. In the next 2 pics you can see an overall length measurement to show for reference where the stock started and where it ended up.
View attachment 8011167
View attachment 8011178

and the next pic you can see where I have marked the sliding section to be cut to get 1/2" - 5/8" reduction in LOP. Notice where I marked it with a sharpie....
View attachment 8011169

More to show where I cut the sliding piece.....if you look closely you can see where I marked with a sharpie.

View attachment 8011170
View attachment 8011171

View after cutting the serrated part to length to allow it to move further inside the stock body....
View attachment 8011172

Next pics show areas on the outer stock halves that need to be removed to allow the sliding part to move further back...

View attachment 8011175View attachment 8011176
View attachment 8011177

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the pictures. I would have guessed you took it off the front end, moving the front QD cup closer to the lower receiver.

It wouldn't work that way because the receiver extension bottoms out inside the sliding part of the stock, so I had to shorten the far end.

It wouldn't work that way because the receiver extension bottoms out inside the sliding part of the stock, so I had to shorten the far end.
I was under the impression that it has room inside to fit up to the A5 length buffer tube (3/4)" longer.

Did you have to trim the front of the cheek piece to clear the charging handle?

I was under the impression that it has room inside to fit up to the A5 length buffer tube (3/4)" longer.

Did you have to trim the front of the cheek piece to clear the charging handle?
I forgot about the cheek piece. Yes I had to shorten it.

It has room for an A5, which is what I'm using. But not much room beyond that.

I forgot about the cheek piece. Yes I had to shorten it.

It has room for an A5, which is what I'm using. But not much room beyond that.
Good to know about the cheekpiece. I had kind of guessed it would need shortened.

So if using a regular carbine buffer tube, that portion might be able to be shortened like the link I posted on the first page, as well as how you shortened it?

I finally got mine from Black Friday and did the same mod as @loclass as well as took about 1/2" on the front end since I'm using a standard carbine buffer. Puts my LoP with a CMC Flat trigger right at 13", didn't have to trim the adjustable cheekpiece, and still have 2" of buttstock extension if I need it.

PXL_20221209_050206764.jpg

Why Magpul would have made it shorter to begin with just baffles me. 13-15" is an acceptable range. 14-16 just seems stupid.

I wasn't about to get the PRS Lite due to LOP concerns, but you guys have renewed my interest in it.

Anyone else had trouble using Aero buffer tube? The earlier post also makes me wonder if I should avoid aero tube. This is for my Aero M5 .308 build.

I have the PRS lite as well as the PRS Gen 3. One of the things I like about the Gen 3 is that you can mount a rail on the bottom of the stock so you can then attach a bag rider or monopod on the rear. It is cool how to do it.. just remove one bolt and the bottom of the stock just slides out allowing you to mount what ever you want and then just slide it back into place.

However, the PRS Lite unfortunately does not have that feature which is disappointing. I ended up drilling holes in the bottom to mount a picatinny rail. Not the best but it works.

Brownells has these on sale for $85 FYI. Wonder if Magpul will announce a Gen 2 at SHOT show…available 2026!

Anything else out there that isn't unnecessarily heavy with a adjustable cheek riser? I have yet to even put live rounds through mine but the LOP makes me feel like I am settling a bit. Had to take off my LAW folder to even make it close to my desired LOP. It's just long in the shortest config, which i assume is the case for most out there. Not a fan of the Luth AR either. Is this really a gap in the market? Would love something like the MDT SCS or SCS lite for my large frame but i ASSUME their buffer tubes aren't actually functioning buffer tubes, correct?

Anything else out there that isn't unnecessarily heavy with a adjustable cheek riser? I have yet to even put live rounds through mine but the LOP makes me feel like I am settling a bit. Had to take off my LAW folder to even make it close to my desired LOP. It's just long in the shortest config, which i assume is the case for most out there. Not a fan of the Luth AR either. Is this really a gap in the market? Would love something like the MDT SCS or SCS lite for my large frame but i ASSUME their buffer tubes aren't actually functioning buffer tubes, correct?

Why not just go XLR?

At its shortest adjustment, it's still longer than an A2 stock. Magpul should have made it with the shortest adjustment at least as short as an A1 stock.
Agreed. I had to cut my down to get it into a comfortable range of adjustment.

The PRS Lite works fine on my 6 ARC AR build but it was definitely way too long for my Savage MkII in a Rigid Alloy chassis.

I have to agree that it would have been nice if MagPul would have made it more adjustable for shorter lengths of pull.

Reactions: Bluedog82
I agree about it being slightly too long. I also found I don’t need to raise the cheek riser with a 1.54” mount.

LMT DMR is the answer, if you can find them, & afford them$$$

DMR is no light weight but maybe a few oz lighter than PRS.

IMG_6891.jpg
IMG_6888.jpg

Why not just go XLR?
I’ve used the tr2 and feel it’s maybe the closest to what I’m after but still wish I could find something more “simple” like the prs lite (with less ridiculous LOP) or the mdt scs lite. I don't need the buttpad cant or height adjustment and feel it just adds more cost and weight. I guess maybe it's just me that feels there is a huge opportunity in the precision gas gun buttstock market. I thought the PRS lite was the answer but they flopped on the LOP IMO.

edit to add: if the MDT scs lite would work on a gas gun I think that would be perfect. Again, I assume they are not hollow to work with a buffer spring? I know their folding adapters are not so i would think all of their buttstocks are solely for bolt guns as well...

Seekins 10x

Reactions: skyrep and jb0311
I've had a MDT SCS on my AR for the last couple years and it does have a functioning buffer tube. With the cheekpiece all the way back it does clear a charging handle. It is just a little rear heavy. I posted earlier in here about modifying multiple pieces to shorten the magpul prs lite and that works for me, and am now getting rid of the MDT SCS. I don't believe they make the buffer tube as long on the SCS as they did this one.

Attachments

• PXL_20230318_185737311.jpg
    PXL_20230318_185737311.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: lash
I've had a MDT SCS on my AR for the last couple years and it does have a functioning buffer tube. With the cheekpiece all the way back it does clear a charging handle. It is just a little rear heavy. I posted earlier in here about modifying multiple pieces to shorten the magpul prs lite and that works for me, and am now getting rid of the MDT SCS. I don't believe they make the buffer tube as long on the SCS as they did this one.
That’s good to know. I actually just heard back from MDT who said it wouldnt work for an AR. The cheek piece clearing the CH is a non issue for me as I run folders on all my ARs (except my current 308 due to the LOP of the prs lite). I’m guessing MDT is not allowed to say that their products will work on gas guns due to the laws around “assault” rifle components?

I would guess the SCS lite would work as well then if the regular scs will take a buffer.

That’s good to know. I actually just heard back from MDT who said it wouldnt work for an AR. The cheek piece clearing the CH is a non issue for me as I run folders on all my ARs (except my current 308 due to the LOP of the prs lite). I’m guessing MDT is not allowed to say that their products will work on gas guns due to the laws around “assault” rifle components?

I would guess the SCS lite would work as well then if the regular scs will take a buffer.
The SCS lite won't work as it has the 2 rods going thru the buffer tube for the cheekpiece. They also said the one I posted a picture of wouldn't work, but wouldn't say why so I bought it and tried it. It worked and cleared the charging handle. You could move it closer if you had a side charging handle or even put those clamp on pieces on a shorter buffer tube for a bolt rifle.

Reactions: jb0311
My AR10 SASS with the PRS lite is very comfortable and in my case doesn't seem punishing with the adjustable GB. As far as LOP I only shoot from a benchrest position whether bipod or bags but don't feel it's a problem. The plus is you can remove it and put a collapsable if you need to which is a plus over the PRS Gen. 1-3 which I used to have but sold due to the weight I didn't need.
IMG_2197.jpg

My AR10 SASS with the PRS lite is very comfortable and in my case doesn't seem punishing with the adjustable GB. As far as LOP I only shoot from a benchrest position whether bipod or bags but don't feel it's a problem. The plus is you can remove it and put a collapsable if you need to which is a plus over the PRS Gen. 1-3 which I used to have but sold due to the weight I didn't need.View attachment 8101435
Nice rifle.

Reactions: mewillis
There's also the FAB stocks. I have the RAPS and it has some wobble. I also have the GL Core CP and it fits better, but likely isn't what you are after.

Now we’re talking. Do you have one to comment on LOP range? All the websites selling seem to only list weight for some reason.
I have 2 of them now. Let me check for you.
20230321_190523.jpg

Tough to tell in the pic, but the front of the tape is even with the mounting plate that would be flush to the back of your lower. Measures to right about 10 and 3/4 inches with zero spacers. I think they include 3 that are 1/4".

8 pages of reading and I actually haven't been able to suss out the story with buffer tubes. Various people cite various issues, mods, etc.

Is there a succinct net out of what tubes work, either by type or by brand/model?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: atomic41
This past weekend I just installed a PRS LITE stock on my rig, I had to switch from a rifle length tube to a carbine length tube. To keep the cost down I went with an Anderson Manufacturing Carbine Tube. I also use the JP "Silent Captured Spring" and "Silent Captured Spring Buffer Retainer Pin and Spring".

On the forward face of the threads of the Anderson Carbine Tube I had to knock off (use a belt sander) to sand off 1/2 a thread of the Carbine Tube, in order for the tube to thread in properly for the "Silent Captured Spring Buffer Retainer Pin and Spring" to seat and function for the "Silent Captured Spring". This also allowed no Forward and Aft movement of the PRS Lite stock on the Carbine Tube, the PRS cross bolt does indeed butt up against the angled bottom of the Carbine tube to lock it so the stock doesn't have any fwd / aft movement on the tube.

Like the weight savings from the PRS GEN 3, I've got that saved in the box for a rainy day / project.

All the best,
Jeff

8 pages of reading and I actually haven't been able to suss out the story with buffer tubes. Various people cite various issues, mods, etc.

Is there a succinct net out of what tubes work, either by type or by brand/model?

Thanks in advance
I installed it on the VLTOR a5 tube and had no issues and required no modification

Reactions: TrevK
If I wanted to increase my odds of a good fit, I would probably use the Magpul receiver extensions. They make both a standard length AR-15 carbine and a intermediate (A5) length. If those aren't compatible with their own stock, they really messed up.

If I wanted to increase my odds of a good fit, I would probably use the Magpul receiver extensions. They make both a standard length AR-15 carbine and a intermediate (A5) length. If those aren't compatible with their own stock, they really messed up.
Could just be their product team acknowledged that the target market for these doesn’t buy their brand of extension (and likely won’t).

I could be wrong, but I think you answer your own Question right there. One is the RE-A5 and one is the RE10-A5SR.

Did you read the differences between the two in that link you posted?

Yeah ... so the VLTOR A5 seems to get the nod. There are two - the RE-A5 and the RE-10/A5SR. Does it matter which one relative to the Magpul PRS? Every mention on this thread only generalizes to A5.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/Vltor-RE-A5-vs-RE10-A5SR_ep_78-1.html

I dont know anyone who runs the A10 length but that link provides a pretty good explanation of the two. Magpul PRS Lite is a "fixed length" stock once you adjust it for your length of pull, but in the long run, if you DID want to go back to an adjustable stock, the extra position may be worth having. Just depends on your needs.

FWIW, on both my ARs with the RE-A5, you cannot fully collapse to position 1 from what I remember, with a VLTOR IMOD buttstock as well.

So maybe not as good for shorter guys or those who prefer a shorter LOP.

EDIT: found a video to demonstrate what I was talking about

Reactions: fmorelli
I could be wrong, but I think you answer your own Question right there. One is the RE-A5 and one is the RE10-A5SR.

Did you read the differences between the two in that link you posted?
I did but this is more about the PRS Lite stock and its particulars vs a standard adjustable stock.

The kick eez 1/2 inch is awesome on these.

That's a win for PRS Gen 3 folks, I've been trying to get Magpul to sell the thinner Lite recoil pad rumored to fit the PRS Gen 3, separately to shorten up the Gen 3 PRS since the Lite hit the market multiple times, with zero interest on their end. 1/2" should in theory be ~3/8" shorter than the PRS Gen 3 stock pad.

That's a win for PRS Gen 3 folks, I've been trying to get Magpul to sell the thinner Lite recoil pad rumored to fit the PRS Gen 3, separately to shorten up the Gen 3 PRS since the Lite hit the market multiple times, with zero interest on their end. 1/2" should in theory be ~3/8" shorter than the PRS Gen 3 stock pad.

I can tell you with certainty that the Lite pad fits the Gen 3. Look at Posts #308 and #336 (on page 7 if using the standard settings) on this thread.
Contacting Magpul about buying a Lite pad from them was the worst customer service I’ve ever received from them. They basically told me “they don’t know if the Lite pad fits the Gen 3” and “it’s not available as a replacement part”.

Agreed, I was not impressed with multiple responses from Magpul I've gotten when asking if I could source a Lite recoil pad.

The kick eez 1/2 inch is awesome on these.

Just ordered. Thanks!

LOP was just a tad long with my PRS 3. This should make it perfect.

I bought it once for a chassis bolt action rifle in 2022, but it was well over an inch too long at the shortest configuration so I returned it to the shop.

I checked it up again for a Browning BAR precision semi-auto build right now, took measurements, but it's still at least 1 inch too long for that project as well. At the shortest configuration.

I'm 6 feet or 183 cm tall, and have relatively long arms, but both builds had stock mounting faces about 3/4th of an inch further out than an AR would have, and the first project had a collapsible stock module as well building a good inch.

Add me to the list of people not amused by the minimum LOP, but still waiting to throw money on PRS Lite V2 if it's at least 1.5 inches shorter in base configuration.

I bought it once for a chassis bolt action rifle in 2022, but it was well over an inch too long at the shortest configuration so I returned it to the shop.

I checked it up again for a Browning BAR precision semi-auto build right now, took measurements, but it's still at least 1 inch too long for that project as well. At the shortest configuration.

I'm 6 feet or 183 cm tall, and have relatively long arms, but both builds had stock mounting faces about 3/4th of an inch further out than an AR would have, and the first project had a collapsible stock module as well building a good inch.

Add me to the list of people not amused by the minimum LOP, but still waiting to throw money on PRS Lite V2 if it's at least 1.5 inches shorter in base configuration.
How would a Magpul PRS fit on a Browning BAR?

Reactions: Jsp556