• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Thoughts on Omega as first suppressor?

glockguy56

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2017
Looking to get my first suppressor. At first I was really into the silencerco hybrid for its various uses and sticking with one suppressor. But now I have decided to start with a rifle suppressor and pistol second.

My platforms would be 16in/10.5in ar15 556, 20 in .308 bolt action and a 10in 300blkout.

The omega seems like it might be the best choice looking at its weigh, length and suppression but I've heard people have had problems with bad welds. The surge 762 was really appealing until I saw MAC's review and his high DB readings at the ear. It also is a bit heavier than the omega.

Would appreciate any input and experience with any of these cans or others that you recommend.

The Omega would be a great choice for you. It's rated up to 300 Win; it is impressive on my RPR/6.5 CM. I run a QD setup with a brake, and get a repeatable and predictable POI shift every time (not that I shot it much without the Omega). What little recoil there is becomes a gentle, slow push. 308 Win is more like a .22. The 300 BLK should be a mere "pop" with the right ammo and rifle setup. I am actually considering getting a second one. Others will chime in, weigh the pros/cons, and good luck; for what you're shooting, the Omega is definitely a good choice from design to materials to long-term service for the unit from SilenceCo.

They're great cans and would serve you well, given the use cases you've described.

Great choice. If I didn't have a .30 cal suppressor already I would buy one.

The Omega would be a great choice for you. It's rated up to 300 Win; it is impressive on my RPR/6.5 CM. I run a QD setup with a brake, and get a repeatable and predictable POI shift every time (not that I shot it much without the Omega). What little recoil there is becomes a gentle, slow push. 308 Win is more like a .22. The 300 BLK should be a mere "pop" with the right ammo and rifle setup. I am actually considering getting a second one. Others will chime in, weigh the pros/cons, and good luck; for what you're shooting, the Omega is definitely a good choice from design to materials to long-term service for the unit from SilenceCo.

Is the repeatable POI shift only possible with a QD setup or could it also be repeatable with the ASR mount or something like the Dead air armament KEY-MO ADAPTER. Not sure if the same alignment is necessary every time with the suppressor to achieve this.

Good choice, I sell and shoot a lot of them. Sound great, and muzzle break is effective. That said, the point of impact shift seems to be great every time you remove the can and put it back on because of the break on end. If you are direct threading it, mark with chalk or something on the barrel and the silencer to torque to same place every time. That will help the poi.

I like mine though i will say i dislike the fact that the tube/sleeve is threaded on to the baffle stack and not welded. For the money they are great cans. Though i'm in the minority i'm one of the few who had the thread locker give and my baffle stack started protruding out of the sleeve. SiCo is fixing it of course but i just honestly believe it's a design flaw compared to something like TBAC which is welded throughout if i'm not mistaken (could be wrong on that) I prefer my 30CB9 to both my Hybrid and Omega as far as sound. Of course the Omega is the shortest of the bunch.

Again i like the omega but if i had it to do over again i would've spent 100$ more and gotten an Ultra 7. I went with a hybrid at the time because we had nothing that could go on our 300wby and i liked the fact it was full auto rated. Added the omega to the mix as well thinking i would run SiCo on the semis and keep the TBAC for my hunting/comp rifles. A year later and i'm running Area 419's hellfire adapters on everything and realize i don't do mag dumps so the full auto rating is really moot.

It's still a quality can especially if the price is right, which from dealers on here you can get them at really great prices. I also suggest Jon's hellfire system to. Takes that added length and weight of the ASR mount away and the can is truly a 6 inch or so can rather than 7.5ish depending on whether or not you use the brake end cap.

Is the repeatable POI shift only possible with a QD setup or could it also be repeatable with the ASR mount or something like the Dead air armament KEY-MO ADAPTER. Not sure if the same alignment is necessary every time with the suppressor to achieve this.

Im confused by your referring to the QD and ASR as separate things.

The direct thread module screws into the back of the can and then that goes directly onto the barrel as Im sure you had imagined
Can>Direct thread module>Barrel
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0157\/8968\/products\/directthreadmount-1_69b8fb44-32fa-4286-8210-ef9e71eaad1a_grande.jpg?v=1487280059"}[/IMG2]

Here you can see the direct module mounted on a barrel without the can
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"606","width":"606","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0157\/8968\/products\/directthreadmount-3_1024x1024.jpg?v=1487280059"}[/IMG2]

The ASR module screws into the back of the can in exactly the same way as the direct thread attaches to it only instead of then screwing directly onto the barrel you thread it onto an ASR brake/flash hider.
Can>ASR module>Brake>Barrel
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0157\/8968\/products\/asr-mount-1_8e9c52cb-b16a-4f2e-9616-6d4ce49048bc_grande.jpg?v=1487280093"}[/IMG2]

Here you can see it assemebeld on the can
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"593","width":"593","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0157\/8968\/products\/asr-mount-2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1487280093"}[/IMG2]

Then it slides over the muzzle brake, You can see the threads at the base of the brake that the ASR module threads onto
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/cdn.shopify.com\/s\/files\/1\/0157\/8968\/products\/muzzle-brake-1_grande.jpg?v=1487279923"}[/IMG2]

Here it is mounted but without the can on it
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"342","width":"608","src":"https:\/\/i.ytimg.com\/vi\/BzMu9XT8K80\/maxresdefault.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The omega is great, its a top notch adaptable can for anything 30 cal and below. It was my first can and I havent found the need to buy another yet even though there have been some great deals posted since after the 41F surge.

Both systems should allow you to have a repeatable shift and shouldnt require any markings to make sure you clock it the same way each time. When its tight its tight and thats as far as you should go. Just dont put a hot can on a cold barrel as the cold barrel will then expand and make removing it a bitch. That goes for any threads though.

The deadair system should be just as repeatable as the ASR but it didnt make financial sense for me to go with it since I dont have anything with a hardguard longer than the barrel threads so a ratchet system wouldnt get me anything tangible.

Last edited:
Ok I have experience with the Omega with direct thread, ASR, and the dead air key mo.

Direct thread will be the same POI every time you install it. The ASR is also very predictable BUT you have to mark the can to put it on the same spot every time. I marked mine 12 oÂ’clock and every time I put in on the muzzle brake I did it the same. This became very repeatable for me.

The Key Mo is also very repeatable because it only allows the can to go on one way and it has to go in the same way every time.

I run brakes on all of my rifles and have been using the ASR system until I got a good deal on the Key Mo for Black Friday.

I can still get first round hits at 1k with the ASR brake and attaching the suppressor. You just have to write down where your gun zeros for both set ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I have experience with the Omega with direct thread, ASR, and the dead air key mo.

The Key Mo is also very repeatable because it only allows the can to go on one way and it has to go in the same way every time.

I run brakes on all of my rifles and have been using the ASR system until I got a good deal on the Key Mo for Black Friday.

So far do you feel the Key Mo is worth the price? Looks like a pretty solid mounting system from the videos I've seen.

I don’t know if it’s worth the price IF you were already invested in ASR mounts and such.

During Black Friday I got it for 1/2 of the cost and only had to replace one ASR brake so I chose to do it.

I think if you really like the Key Mo just look at the Dead Air cans and see if one of them fit the bill.

You’re on the right track with a all around rifle can first and a second pistol can vs the Hybrid. As far as the rifle can I don’t think you could make a better choice than the Omega.

I like mine though i will say i dislike the fact that the tube/sleeve is threaded on to the baffle stack and not welded. For the money they are great cans. Though i'm in the minority i'm one of the few who had the thread locker give and my baffle stack started protruding out of the sleeve. SiCo is fixing it of course but i just honestly believe it's a design flaw compared to something like TBAC which is welded throughout if i'm not mistaken (could be wrong on that) I prefer my 30CB9 to both my Hybrid and Omega as far as sound. Of course the Omega is the shortest of the bunch.

Again i like the omega but if i had it to do over again i would've spent 100$ more and gotten an Ultra 7. I went with a hybrid at the time because we had nothing that could go on our 300wby and i liked the fact it was full auto rated. Added the omega to the mix as well thinking i would run SiCo on the semis and keep the TBAC for my hunting/comp rifles. A year later and i'm running Area 419's hellfire adapters on everything and realize i don't do mag dumps so the full auto rating is really moot.

It's still a quality can especially if the price is right, which from dealers on here you can get them at really great prices. I also suggest Jon's hellfire system to. Takes that added length and weight of the ASR mount away and the can is truly a 6 inch or so can rather than 7.5ish depending on whether or not you use the brake end cap.

Yep the hellfire system is fantastic.

Fantastic can; I wish silencer shop still carried them though as they are local to me and have transformed the NFA game

Fantastic can; I wish silencer shop still carried them though as they are local to me and have transformed the NFA game

Capitol Armory? Just on the other side of 183. I got mine from there when they had a sale on them and am now a repeat customer.

Saw this last night. Posted it in a Q silencers post as well but I thought it would fit well here too. I cant seem to find any videos or reviews of the trash panda or thunder chicken.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/GSsIURV.png"}[/IMG2]

Saw this last night. Posted it in a Q silencers post as well but I thought it would fit well here too. I cant seem to find any videos or reviews of the trash panda or thunder chicken.

I dunno that I buy that the Omega is weak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sj8FP5nh98

Is the Trash Panda stronger than the Omega? I have no way of knowing, but it's certainly possible. Also, it's a bit disingenuous (IMO) to bag on the Omega for its length, when it could be fitted with a flat end cap instead of the Anchor Brake (though I admit that the flat end cap doesn't come with the Omega as delivered). Furthermore, as even Q acknowledges in their post, they're comparing a new design to one that is more... uhhh... mature. I'd certainly hope that in the intervening years between the design of the Omega and the design of the Trash Panda that improvements could be made.

I say all of the above not so much as an Omega shooter, but rather as an observation that Q (evidently) considers the Omega to be the standard bearer for that segment of the suppressor market. The long and short of it is that the Omega does what I need it to do, but I admit that it's entirely possible that the Trash Panda would do it better... however, at this point, I'm not willing to go through the cost/hassle to find out for myself (though it's likely that existing Omega owners are not the target audience of that post).

I beat mine like a rented mule and have had no issues. It sees time on a MK18, noveski 16” SPR, 8” BLK. I have no complaints.

Doc

Lol, I personally find it hard to trust anyone who tries to bash someone else's product to make their own look better but then again nothing surprises me with Kevin Brittingham....

As for the omega, I have ran thousands of full auto 300blk through mine and never a single problem! It has also seen duty on some of my 308 ar's and bolt guns. It is a great product from an even better company, a company that you don't have to worry about selling out and not providing customer support.

I have the Omega as well as both Sakers. I am *very* happy with all. Great cans. The Omega is a wonderful medium duty can while the Sakers are built for the worst possible punishment you can give them. The Sakers also weigh a ton but that's the ying and yang of it. I bought these and other SiCo cans before DeadAir or Rugged came on the scene. More on that in a moment.

That said, I was very unhappy with the SiCo mounting systems. I started with the MAAD mounts, even on the Omega with the adapter from Tar Heel Firearms. I had the MAAD system seize on me multiple times and had to send the mount seized on the muzzle device to SiCo to get replacements. SiCo was always good about it but I got tired of playing the will-it-seize-or-wont-it game.

When SiCo discontinued the MAAD system (with the Saker ASR models), SiCo exchanged all my mounts and muzzle devices for ASR products for free. Again, great customer service. However, I found that under medium use, the ASR mounts will seize as well. What happens is the metal in the mount expands under heat and gets stuck to the muzzle device. You have to wait for the can/mount to cool before you can take the suppressor off. In a couple of cases even when cool I couldn't get the can to release without using a wrench and once or twice the muzzle device torqued loose. BTW - The whole idea behind the MAAD system was to seal the blast chamber from the mount locking rings to prevent this type of expansion. Unfortunately, the MAAD locking system didn't work all that well.

So I switched everything to the DeadAir KeyMo system and I've never been happier. They (DeadAir) got the mounting system down right. Yes, it cost me some money to buy new mounts for the cans and muzzle devices for all the rifles (ouch!!!!!) but it is sooooo worth it.

Having been though all this and knowing what I know today, what would I do if I had to buy all over again?? I'd buy DeadAir cans. Not that I dislike SiCo, I think they're great. But if you look at the comparative reviews by Capital Armory for example (Saker/Omega vs DeadAir), DeadAir wins on every metric . . . . . and they have the vastly superior mounting system.

Like I said, I bought all my cans before DeadAir came about. Do I have buyers regret? Not really because the Sakers and Omega are awesome cans. You can't go wrong buying either. Do I have buyers envy for those getting into the game today? A little. I had to spend a lot more time and money to get a suppressor system that works well (DeadAir mounts and SiCo cans). Or you can just buy DeadAir and get an incredible can and mount in one package.

Best of luck.

As already mentioned, check out the Hellfire mounting system from Area 419.
I prefer it over DeadAir, as well as SilencerCo's MAAD/Trifecta and ASR.
It's a quiet ratchet less system that's also significantly lighter in both adapter and mount than the others.
It brought the overall weight of my Saker 762 v1 down enough to want to use it again, and I can interchange both TBAC and SilencerCo suppressors on the same weapon.

Omega is an amazing can, especially paired with the Area 419 QD mount.

Anything hanging off the end of a barrel has potential to cause a POI shift as the harmonics of the barrel are altered , and the repeatability in mounting any muzzle device is very critical.. As a reference, my , .270 Sendero has a brake, no suppressor, and shoots 1/4 moa. One day, it would not group at all. Shots all over a 12” target @ 100 yards. I had decided the scope had failed, unloaded the rifle and removed the bolt, and liftednit off the bench. I grabbed it by the muzzle only to feel the brake twist . Sure enough, it was loose and unscrewed about 1/4 turn. I tightened it back down and it immediately went back to zero on the first shot.

With that lesson in mind, having a mounting system taht is solid and tepeatable becomes critical. The Omega thread/locking collar gives me a POI exactly 8 clicks below the POI without the supressor mounted, using only the Silencerco brake and QD collar. Similar with another higher-end qd system.

To answer your question: first, I am notfamiliar with the systems you mentioned. Second, if they place the muzzled device in exactly the same position every time, you should get a repeatable POI shift, possibly none at all. The “same alignment” as very critical, both in terms of threading and/or a rigid, repeatable mounted position on the barrel. The only way I know to figure this out is to ask others about their experiences, choose your suppressor and mounting method accordingly, then test it. For me, the Omega has been very good on a slender barreled RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

PS: Simple is better. Fewer moving parts means less chance for error. Nothing is better than direct thread of you don’t need to remove the can.