• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Thoughts on the Aero Precision SOLUS ?

I mean it's subjective lol. Bolt lift can be measured, maybe they mean lightest 60*. My first Solus action now has a couple thousand cycles and it's now far beyond my Tikka for bolt lift and smooth cycling. Tikka also has at least a few k bolt manipulations.
I've got easily 500+ cycles on my Solus action, and it's ridiculously smooth with a light bolt lift...Much lighter than any of my 2 lug actions. The only thing I've done to it was put some Aeroshell 33/64 on the bolt and raceways and cycle the crap out of it, and it broke in super smooth. It's ready for a barrel whenever @CarbonSix decides to finish it... It's now over 6 months and a couple weeks ago they said they still have NOT even built the blank... 🤦🏼 Not impressed with them so far. This fucking barrel better shoot absolutely lights-out...Like sub-1/4 MOA @ 100 with handloads or I'm not going to be happy. I'm already ready to cancel the order and buy a Proof blank, have them ship my reamer back to me, and then have a Proof spun-up by someone else. Probably still could get it back quicker... 🙄

6+ months for a McGowan blank, that’s something else.
No shit... I don't like McGowan as a company (they're a bunch of douchebags), but they do make decent barrels...Sometimes.

I'm not exactly happy with @CarbonSix right now giving me the goddamn runaround. Every time I email them it's "I'll check on it, and get back with you after lunch..." After lunch it's always the same answer, "We're still waiting on the blank, so we can finish it..."

Update as of today...

I called @CarbonSix and talked with Gene, who was super nice and helpful. He did some digging and talked with Justin, and we found out that it was McGowan who was in-fact taking forever to build and ship the blank to them. I just wanted to clarify so we clear things up that this was NOT a CarbonSix issue...This was the dickholes at McGowan not pulling their thumbs out of their asses and making my blank (no surprise given how McGowan treated me for simply asking questions on the phone about 10 years ago 🙄).

So... I have now temporarily halted my order for the .25 Creed barrel with CarbonSix. They were super awesome to work with, and really nice and helpful, so instead of cancelling my order, I will probably just have them build me a barrel in another cartridge (for the Solus) on a blank they DO actually have in stock. I'm thinking I will go .260 Rem Ackley Improved, to push the Berger 156 Elites...But I am also tempted to order a 7mm SAW reamer from WTO and have them build me a 1:8 twist 20" 7mmSAW barrel to be able to swap to.

But, Gene also offered to build me a 7mm PRC barrel for one of my spare 700 magnum actions that I have in the safe, and sending it to them for proper headspacing and install. Which is fine, because I had the gun custom built 10 years ago, and never shot the damn thing. I already had a 7mm STW and didn't need a spare, but had the barrel laying around. So, I might go that route. I will keep this updated. I really wish Aero would release the magnum long actions so I can just order a 7mm PRC prefit for it, as well.

I DID, however, order one of the special order 20" / .257 / 7.5" twist Proof Research carbon fiber blanks from Evolved Ballistics, and then used one of their recommended builders to commission the prefit barrel build for .25 Creedmoor. I decided to go with Blue Mountain Precision. Erik seems like a really nice guy, and very knowledgeable after talking with him on the phone. He says 4-6 weeks lead-time, and I did not pay the extra $150 for a rush job, since I have already been waiting 6 months for the CS blank...I figured there was no reason to pay extra for that because I can wait another 4-6 weeks for it at this point. I will keep the thread updated.

Here’s the cut I’ve done for Impact trigger hangers in the Solus Comp Chassis, using a Dremel and some cheap burr bits.

IMG_5314.jpeg

Reactions: FuhQ
I’m so glad I like normal cartridges 😆
It was the twist rate that was causing it to be delayed so much, not the cartridge choice. I had already sent them my new Alpha Munitions Legacy .25 Creed reamer. They were just waiting on McGowan to spit out a .257 barrel in a 1:7 twist rate. But after running the calc's on the Berger stability chart, even at 0 ft. ASL, a 7.5" twist stabilizes the 133 Elites all the way down to like 2,600 FPS. And I'll be pushing these nearly 3,000, so they'll be MORE than stable at any elevation. That's why I decided to go ahead and drop the extra on the PR barrel from Evolved Ballistics, and then just build something else with the CarbonSix order. I mean, yeah...I paid for 2 barrels, but at the end of the day, I get 2 high-quality prefit barrels in 2 different cartridges that I can swap around on that rifle. I like options.

Reactions: 1911Shootist
I think addressing the massive cock on close on an action that's supposed to cock on open would have been energy better directed.
I found this odd as well. It's advertised as cock on open, but upon measuring, it clocks 0.150 upon opening, and about another 0.060 upon bolt close.

I found this odd as well. It's advertised as cock on open, but upon measuring, it clocks 0.150 upon opening, and about another 0.060 upon bolt close.
I don't think I measured quite that much on mine, but the cock on close is my biggest complaint with the action.

Finally got 1 barrel on order that the blank was actually in stock (Proof .25 Creed). And going to call Carbon Six today after lunch to discuss options further with Gene. I made a dummy round this weekend using a Berger 156 Elite, and I’m order for it to fit inside my MDT mags, and not have the beating surface and boat tail dropping down into the powder column, the only logical option is 6.5CM over .260 Rem AI… 🤦🏼 I was really hoping for the .260 AI to work, but in a short action, it’s still not viable for making use of the long super-heavy bullets. The bullet still dips too far into the case and will interfere with case capacity. At this seating depth, they will still fit and feed in my MDT mags and Solus action. I’m going to have it custom throated where this seating depth is 0.010” jump to the lands. Mixed with StaBall 6.5 powder, this thing should be a LR hammer.

.260 Rem (left) - Berger 156 Elite (center) - 6.5 CM (Right)

IMG_6888.jpeg
IMG_6889.jpeg

You'll be shorter than saami freebore in that situation. I run 153.5 Bergers which have a lil longer base to ogive, 35k jump in a new throat, I was at 2.930 coal. Touching I was too long for reliable feeding from arc aics, and just barely fit into an AW mag, too tight for comfort.

Just so people know, looks like Aero is doing another sale. This one for Memorial Day. People claim you can get an extra 15% off of the sale price by signing up for their email stuff but not entirely sure on that.

Just so people know, looks like Aero is doing another sale. This one for Memorial Day. People claim you can get an extra 15% off of the sale price by signing up for their email stuff but not entirely sure on that.

It doesn’t work. It might have worked this morning, but as of an hour ago, the extra 15% off doesn’t work.

Reactions: NateVA
I'd be all over a couple things if they had a 223 and ppc bolt head! I have a 10% code that works with their sale items

Reactions: 1911Shootist
Well…I fucked around, and found out…

Last night Aero sent me an email stating the 15% off code would work in conjunction with the 30% off sale, so I got a 20” M24 .308 Solus barreled action, and a 15” black Comp Chassis for $1,360 shipped… And I’ve had a spare TriggerTech Special sitting in the box for about a year now. So, basically, I just built a $2,200 rifle for $1,500.

I wanted one of their new Obsidian actions, but for the price, I’m not complaining. Plus, I still have to call CarbonSix today and tell him what I’m going to order, so I’ll have 2 customs built on Solus actions, and a spare new M24 .308 Win barrel.

Well…I fucked around, and found out…

Last night Aero sent me an email stating the 15% off code would work in conjunction with the 30% off sale, so I got a 20” M24 .308 Solus barreled action, and a 15” black Comp Chassis for $1,360 shipped… And I’ve had a spare TriggerTech Special sitting in the box for about a year now. So, basically, I just built a $2,200 rifle for $1,500.

I wanted one of their new Obsidian actions, but for the price, I’m not complaining. Plus, I still have to call CarbonSix today and tell him what I’m going to order, so I’ll have 2 customs built on Solus actions, and a spare new M24 .308 Win barrel.
wouldn't work for me. their chat person said no-go as well

wouldn't work for me. their chat person said no-go as well
It didn’t work for me yesterday morning, but when I added the chassis to the cart, it took off another $85 on the chassis, but none of the barreled action, so from what I can figure, the 15% won’t work on the guns, actions, and barreled actions, but it will work on parts and accessories, I guess?

Well, my Memorial Day special Solus parts all showed up yesterday... The barreled action (20" M24 .308 Win), and 15" Comp Chassis. I already had the TriggerTech special sitting in the box waiting on something for a while.

The top-view picture makes it look like the barrel sits in the chassis crooked, it's straight, it was just a bad angle. Also, their barrel threads are damn nice, and perfectly bore-centric. We'll see how she shoots... If the Aero barrel isn't up to snuff, I'll just snatch it off and put a Carbon-Six on it, since they owe me one anyway. Probably go with 7 SAW II.

Also, I'm curious to know how concentric the chambers are cut...With a Hornady OAL tool & modified case gauge, hornady comparator tool (on the caliper), and a Nosler 210 RDF, it is 2.270" B-to-O pressed into the lands. I'll be seating my test loads at 2.250" since it's easy to remember, and only 0.020" isn't much jump to cause any inconsistencies. I'll be starting testing this weekend.

IMG_7211.jpeg
IMG_7213.jpeg
IMG_7214.jpeg
IMG_7226.jpeg
IMG_7218.jpeg

Well, things started to shoot better today. Found out my scope was loose and if you don’t have your head lined up behind that scope you get point of aim shift one of those targets would’ve been all together, but it shifted about quarter to one side from center….
I was testing load so I didn’t have a ton of accuracy proving shots…

Attachments

• IMG_2140.jpeg
    IMG_2140.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2138.jpeg
    IMG_2138.jpeg
    504.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2136.jpeg
    IMG_2136.jpeg
    397 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2137.jpeg
    IMG_2137.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: FuhQ
I also wanted to add that once I figured out proper head position on this rifle and scope combination Almost ALL loads seem to shoot really well even the Hodgins superformance with the 140 grain Burger match burners.!!!

These were loaded in .5 grain increments from 43 gr on up to 45.5 grs
They’re only two shot groups

The best groups with the superformance were right around 43 to 43.5 grains

The other groups that had more shots were shooters world long range, and I don’t remember what the different loads were for those. I think they’re right around 40 grns and that was listed as max but no pressure signs and velocities were excellent and so we weren’t the grouping. ( the targets with like four or five shots were a couple different loads for the shooters world powder.).

I am finding that you really have to have your mechanics down .

otherwise doesn’t matter how good your gun can shoot. You’re not going to end up with very good groups.

I thought I knew everything but yet I really didn’t know much but I’ve learned a lotO

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpeg
    IMG_2143.jpeg
    598.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2144.jpeg
    IMG_2144.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2145.jpeg
    IMG_2145.jpeg
    510.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2146.jpeg
    IMG_2146.jpeg