• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Threading on a Ganesh GT-1440

Disasterpath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2008
Ca
IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Im a noob when it comes to machining and I have a question. Looking at the top picture, what are the rows with the lowercase a and b representing? I have chambered and threaded barrels at 16TPI with no problems. Its dead on. Tonight I tried to thread something 28 tpi but its off. It has to have something to do with those first two rows. Soo.... can anyone help a noob out?

Re: Threading on a Ganesh GT-1440

A C 3 V give that a try. Lower case letters are gear teeth numbers for inch or metric threads but I'm not sure about your machine. I'm so used to my LeBlond Regal it's all automatic. At worst case, read the manual.

The number of teeth on those two gears.

Your "b" gear is different for 28 TPI over the 16 TPI. You need to change "b" gear to a 63 tooth gear.

Tried that but if you go by that logic (lining up the rows and collums) then 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, and 26 TPI all have the same settings. It has to be something with those upper numbers considering that 16 tpi has 60 and 60.

The only dials I see on the machine are those 4 in the picture. How do I get it right for 28 TPI?

Ok, so I actually need to buy another gear and change it out?

Get us a pic of the saddle. Methinks there maybe another lever. Maybe not, after looking at the website that machine cannot have to have change gears. There has to be another setting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m24armorer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get us a pic of the saddle. Methinks there maybe another lever. Maybe not, after looking at the website that machine cannot have to have change gears. There has to be another setting.</div></div>

So you dont think it requires actually replacing the gear and its just a lever that I have missed? Whereon the website were you looking that talked about the gears?

What model is it? I'm sure it's a gear head but it should not require change gears. There has to be another setting.

Call them and get a manual or just ask.

GANESH MACHINERY
20869 PLUMMER St.
CHATSWORTH, CA 91311
Click here to see Map & Driving Directions

Phone: 1-888-542-6374
Phone: (818) 349-9166
Fax: (818)349-7286

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Disasterpath</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m24armorer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get us a pic of the saddle. Methinks there maybe another lever. Maybe not, after looking at the website that machine cannot have to have change gears. There has to be another setting.</div></div>

So you dont think it requires actually replacing the gear and its just a lever that I have missed? Whereon the website were you looking that talked about the gears? </div></div>

Based on the chart and the knobs on the lathe you need a gear change on "b" to 63 to cut the threads you want.

And when you want to cut metric threads you will be making a gear placement change with the large center gear as well.

Looks like the gears needs to be "a" 60 tooth, gear "b" 63 tooth
Then knobs A C 3 V

I've never seen a lathe that needed that many gear changes before.
screwy lathe

Be sure to check which gears need to be in it for general turning so the feed chart is correct.

Genesh tried to sell me a CNC lathe. Glad I got my Haas.

Alright, I did a little more looking around the shop and found a stack of about 10 gears for this machine. Took the cover off the lathe and it looks like its just an easy 20 second gear switch. Thanks for all the help guys! Now I can install my muzzle brake.

get-attachmentaspx.jpg