• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T1X

I just wanted to say thanks for the wealth of knowledge contained in this thread. My Tikka T3X TAC A1 was so impressive out of the box that I wanted to build a T1X trainer for days when I can't get out to the long range. I was on the fence between Ruger PR, CZ and Tikka before this thread. I figured the layout and mechanics of the T1X were more in line with the T3X and decided to pull the trigger on the T1X.

I got tired of waiting for a Bravo, so I dropped the T1X into an Oryx chassis and topped it off with an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24 with Vortex Rings on the DIP 25 MOA rail.

I took it to the indoor range last night and got it zeroed in at 50. I was very pleasantly surprised with it's performance but I got a little sidetracked as I also received my tax stamp for a Silencerco Sparrow yesterday, and once it went on, my focus went out the window. The Ruger 10/22 Takedown was calling from the bag, begging for a chance to be mated up to the Sparrow and once that fun started, the poor Tikka was left alone for the night.

I can't wait to get it out and stretch its legs, thanks again for all the great input on this thread.

Reactions: DRAGON64
I just wanted to say thanks for the wealth of knowledge contained in this thread. My Tikka T3X TAC A1 was so impressive out of the box that I wanted to build a T1X trainer for days when I can't get out to the long range. I was on the fence between Ruger PR, CZ and Tikka before this thread. I figured the layout and mechanics of the T1X were more in line with the T3X and decided to pull the trigger on the T1X.

I got tired of waiting for a Bravo, so I dropped the T1X into an Oryx chassis and topped it off with an Athlon Midas TAC 6-24 with Vortex Rings on the DIP 25 MOA rail.

I took it to the indoor range last night and got it zeroed in at 50. I was very pleasantly surprised with it's performance but I got a little sidetracked as I also received my tax stamp for a Silencerco Sparrow yesterday, and once it went on, my focus went out the window. The Ruger 10/22 Takedown was calling from the bag, begging for a chance to be mated up to the Sparrow and once that fun started, the poor Tikka was left alone for the night.

I can't wait to get it out and stretch its legs, thanks again for all the great input on this thread.
Don’t let your 10/22 have all the fun with the Sparrow. Show the Tikka some love and let it have a turn with it too?.

My local Bass Pro had one in stock so I picked it up. Got it Tax free as a bonus! Apparently there is some kind of 2nd amendment tax free period on Firearms going on now. I had never heard of it.

I plan on dropping it in a KRG Bravo when they become available. Haven’t read all 40 pages of this thread but can anyone point me in the right direction for a rail and rings for an Athlon Midas Tac 6x24x50?

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
25moa DIP rail.
Vortex Pro 30mm Rings 0.9".

I know there are other hide vendors on here, but I met someone who is just starting out his own scope business [email protected] who helped me out. I'm sure other hide vendors are also very great to work with. I came across Ryan from his video reviews of the Athlon scopes.

CameralandNY I think is also another Athlon vendor that has good reviews too.

Additionally, bore-tech makes a T1X Guide Rod

Last edited:
Reactions: savages and 013
FYI - if you guys aren't looking for a chassis, Euro-optic has some Tikka stocks on sale from GRS - not affiliated with them, I just got the email today. cheapest is about 460.00 which isn't back considering the stocks.

Reactions: 013
I took the bolt apart. Not sure how I feel about the plastic parts.

Purchased an Ares ETR and Seekins 1" rings for the T1X. If I ever swap this out to a bull barrel the scope isn't going to clear the barrel with scope caps on. I'm wondering if it'll even clear the barrel w/o the caps. I probably should've gone with 1.1" height...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+1 on the DIP rail. Very happy with mine. My scope is 34mm and went with Burris rings - little bit hard to find but good solid rings.

Purchased an Ares ETR and Seekins 1" rings for the T1X. If I ever swap this out to a bull barrel the scope isn't going to clear the barrel with scope caps on. I'm wondering if it'll even clear the barrel w/o the caps. I probably should've gone with 1.1" height...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@013 you shouldn't have any problems with 0.9" and the Midas Tac. I believe Midas Tac is only 2.1" diameter. Ares was 2.5".

It does look really nice with about 2mm gap from scope cap to barrel :)

@013 you shouldn't have any problems with 0.9" and the Midas Tac. I believe Midas Tac is only 2.1" diameter. Ares was 2.5".

It does look really nice with about 2mm gap from scope cap to barrel :)

Thanks! Planning on ordering today.

25moa DIP rail.
Vortex Pro 30mm Rings 0.9".

I know there are other hide vendors on here, but I met someone who is just starting out his own scope business [email protected] who helped me out. I'm sure other hide vendors are also very great to work with. I came across Ryan from his video reviews of the Athlon scopes.

CameralandNY I think is also another Athlon vendor that has good reviews too.

Additionally, bore-tech makes a T1X Guide Rod

I just ordered my scope from Ryan. Great guy do deal with!

Reactions: littlepod
I got out and shot my T1X a couple of weekends ago. Shot well with Wolf match and CenterX. Going to try a few more in the next couple of weekends.

@ fxdlryan my Tikka shoots better with the Sparrow., that's from the initial testing months ago. Now I don't even shoot the Tikka without it.

@ 013, I wouldn't sweat over the plastic. That material has been around for a long time and besides, has any plastic broke yet on a Tikka? And another thing, it's things like that, that simply does the job and helps Tikka keep the cost down to pass along to the end user. Sterk is selling the metal cap if you want to swap it out.

+1 for the DIP rails, I have two. I also have a Mountain Tactical rail for the Tikka I like just as good.

Switched to 1" Seekins Precision Rings + Athlon Ares ETR. I think if you're going to do a bull barrel, you'll want the 1.1" high, or even 1.125" (depending on scope). Ares ETR is 2.5" diameter.

We got my sons T1x out to the range a few days ago. It is every bit as accurate as mine is. It does seem to prefer different ammo though. Mine loves Eley Edge and Center X. His shot some amazing groups with SK pistol match special. It was shooting well under 1” at 100. We have a 100 yd KYL target with the smallest spinner being 1/2” and he was hitting 7-8 out of every 10rd magazine. I can’t wait until we get a few hundred rounds through it. I know mine started shooting on a whole new level at that point. If his does the same it may shoot even better than mine. We also shot both suppressed and unsuppresed and I didn’t see a noticeable difference in accuracy. Surprisingly I didn’t really see a POI change. Doug you guys notice a significant POI change when going suppressed? Here is my rifle, my sons rifle, my Tikka CTR and my best friends rifle. You might think we like Tikka’s and KRG Bravo’s after looking at the photo. Having both my match rifles the same has been great for practice.
A54E65C5-C03E-4A60-AA64-28407BC6AE53.jpeg
i
2703097F-B867-42E7-B5AB-D53AB7F4F995.jpeg

Just did a thorough cleaning of my suppressor... zeroed out unsuppressed to make life easier, and going to check out POI change today. I'm still looking for the magic matching ammo. I got some Lapua Pistol King to play with. Right now SK+ @ $5 a box is my go-to. Eley Biathlon is my top performer, but that was too pricey.

Just did a thorough cleaning of my suppressor... zeroed out unsuppressed to make life easier, and going to check out POI change today. I'm still looking for the magic matching ammo. I got some Lapua Pistol King to play with. Right now SK+ @ $5 a box is my go-to. Eley Biathlon is my top performer, but that was too pricey.

After about 400 rounds mine seemed to shoot everything well but shoots best with the mid priced Eley ammo or the Wolf match extra. It shoots Center X really well too but I don’t like loading the slippery waxed bullets they use. The Lapua also doesn’t seem to perform as well for me at distances beyond 100. For whatever reason it seems to be a lot my susceptible to the wind at distance than the Eley Edge. Right now my sons rifle loves the SK Pistol Match Special. Oddly enough it didn’t seem to shoot the higher end Lapua ammo as well as the SK. We had a 10” gong at 300y and he was ringing it with every shot. I don’t know how many rounds you have through your rifle yet but if it is like my rifle was it will start shooting on a whole new level about the time you get 400-500 rounds through it.

After about 400 rounds mine seemed to shoot everything well but shoots best with the mid priced Eley ammo or the Wolf match extra. It shoots Center X really well too but I don’t like loading the slippery waxed bullets they use. The Lapua also doesn’t seem to perform as well for me at distances beyond 100. For whatever reason it seems to be a lot my susceptible to the wind at distance than the Eley Edge. Right now my sons rifle loves the SK Pistol Match Special. Oddly enough it didn’t seem to shoot the higher end Lapua ammo as well as the SK. We had a 10” gong at 300y and he was ringing it with every shot. I don’t know how many rounds you have through your rifle yet but if it is like my rifle was it will start shooting on a whole new level about the time you get 400-500 rounds through it.

I'm at about 1300 rounds now, I did notice my last 500 rounds or so tighten up a bit... and that could also be me getting better at shooting. I'm still learning to shoot prone properly and have been alternating between my T3X .308 and T1X 22LR. I got my groups @ 100 yards on my 308 around 0.7", but my 200yard groups are lacking :\ - around 2-2.5"

Anyhow did some 200 yard testing today, not a very scientific test since I only shot 10 rounds each:

I also have done 100 yard tests with LRM vs SK+, I'm seeing no difference really between the two. I won't buy any more of LRM. The L/R spread of the Lapua Pistol King is the tightest, though it looks like the height spread is a bit bigger, though w/o that really high shot, it's all about the same.

7.8 mil dialed on SK+ and SK LRM. I'd reckon probably 7.9 mil is better for SK+ and 7.8 mil is pretty centered for LRM. Pistol King I dialed in 8mil.

For my 6x5's today, unsuppressed SK+ got me 1.2". Unsuppressed Pistol King got me 1" and Suppressed SK+ got me 1". In the past 500 rounds of suppressed SK+ I've been averaging -.9-1", and unsuppressed I've always been around 1.1-1.2" So maybe it's slightly tighter groups. I'm not good enough of a shooter I guess to really gauge...

SK+ Unsuppressed:

Lapua Pistol King Unsuppressed:

SK+ Suppressed:

I ran out of time to do Lapua Pistol King suppressed. That'll be what I do next week with my 40 rounds left in the box... for my 100 yard dialing, SK+ is 2.1mil, and Lapua Pistol King is 2.2mil.

I had a 0.1mil POI shift left when I screwed on the suppressor. Pretty minimal. Elevation was spot on.

Regarding slippery ammo... I'm not a fan of the coating on the SK+/LRM/RifleMatch with that slippery oil/waxy coat. I always have to wipe my hands after loading my magazines.

The Lapua Pistol King doesn't have that same coating.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Pistol Match Special but haven't tried any yet. That has the same coating as the other SK ammo doesn't it?

Regarding slippery ammo... I'm not a fan of the coating on the SK+/LRM/RifleMatch with that slippery oil/waxy coat. I always have to wipe my hands after loading my magazines.

The Lapua Pistol King doesn't have that same coating.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Pistol Match Special but haven't tried any yet. That has the same coating as the other SK ammo doesn't it?

Yes, it has the same slippery wax which my son hates as much as I do. I haven’t had a chance to shoot any wolf in my sons rifle yet to see how it shoots. I’m hoping to switch to some flavor of Eley after we get a few hundred rounds through it. I did just get him a brick of the SK lot number it liked so he will be shooting it for a little while.

I haven’t taken any pictures of my groups at 200 yards but I would say they are pretty consistently around 2” based on the size steel targets I use. Granted this is only one 3 shot group at 200 yards. I shot this when I was confirming the dope for my Eley ammo. For the most part I only use targets to dial in my dope. After that I shoot steel targets I have set up out to 300 yards.

BF87B344-AC60-4A43-B623-DC654DBDD250.jpeg

Yes, it has the same slippery wax which my son hates as much as I do. I haven’t had a chance to shoot any wolf in my sons rifle yet to see how it shoots. I’m hoping to switch to some flavor of Eley after we get a few hundred rounds through it. I did just get him a brick of the SK lot number it liked so he will be shooting it for a little while.

I haven’t taken any pictures of my groups at 200 yards but I would say they are pretty consistently around 2” based on the size steel targets I use. Granted this is only one 3 shot group at 200 yards. I shot this when I was confirming the dope for my Eley ammo. For the most part I only use targets to dial in my dope. After that I shoot steel targets I have set up out to 300 yards.

View attachment 7115404

That's nice. Better than my 308 grouping. I think I have a lot more improving to do as a shooter. Generally when shooting steel targets I'm able to ring a 3 incher at 200 yards pretty consistently. A 2.5 incher I'm hitting around 50%. So generally speaking I think I'm shooting 2.5 - 3.5 at 200.

I should try out some value eley ammo. Which ones are those? Force? Edge? Club?

Mine shoots Edge, Club and the Wolf ME really well which is made by Eley. Edge seems to performer the best for me at distance though. I haven’t tried any of the higher dollar Eley ammo. I just cant bring myself to spend that kind of money on Rimfire ammo. I’m sure it probably shoots great but I don’t see it worth spending the extra money for positional shooting.

Mine shoots Edge, Club and the Wolf ME really well which is made by Eley. Edge seems to performer the best for me at distance though. I haven’t tried any of the higher dollar Eley ammo. I just cant bring myself to spend that kind of money on Rimfire ammo. I’m sure it probably shoots great but I don’t see it worth spending the extra money for positional shooting.

I'll look at ordering some eley edge. Thanks!

I was just thinking about getting a bolt action 22 today at work. Was looking at the CZ and just happed to see the T1X. A few hours later, The local gun shop just happed to have a T1X and its mine now! Picked up a Vortex Diamondback in 4-16 also. Just need a base and some ARC rings now. Will probably grab a bolt handle from Mountain Tac

I was just thinking about getting a bolt action 22 today at work. Was looking at the CZ and just happed to see the T1X. A few hours later, The local gun shop just happed to have a T1X and its mine now! Picked up a Vortex Diamondback in 4-16 also. Just need a base and some ARC rings now. Will probably grab a bolt handle from Mountain Tac
Excellent choice.

I've had my T1x 3-4 months and now about 500- 1000 rounds through it and have had problems with magazine mis-feeds of live rounds. They tend to stand bullet up and not quite clear the magazine. The bolt face doesn't capture the rim. Tried cycling rounds on the bench to see if I can get some idea what's going on. I used short cycle - bolt not completely back , slow cycle, fast...no real pattern to it.

One thing I do see is a slight abrasion on the bullet - I believe that is from scraping the top edge of the barrel as the round is fed up and forward.

So wondering if anyone else has seen this and if there is a fix.

Reactions: ZCOklahoma
I've had my T1x 3-4 months and now about 500- 1000 rounds through it and have had problems with magazine mis-feeds of live rounds. They tend to stand bullet up and not quite clear the magazine. The bolt face doesn't capture the rim. Tried cycling rounds on the bench to see if I can get some idea what's going on. I used short cycle - bolt not completely back , slow cycle, fast...no real pattern to it.

One thing I do see is a slight abrasion on the bullet - I believe that is from scraping the top edge of the barrel as the round is fed up and forward.

I’m having this issue out of 6 different mags at the moment. Not sure if a solution of their than sending the mags back for replacement.

Reactions: Just Chuck
Between yesterday and today I have shot over 1,000 rounds. Most have been out of a Win 52B and D. It got dark on me and those type reinforcement rings I was using as bullseyes are not good in the dark because they reflect light at certain angles. So, what's a guy to do when he has an extra target up...and it's dark...yeah baby that's right... bring out the Night Stalker.

The target isn't that good but I was getting a lot of reflection and was shooting faster than normal. Oh yeah, and I was shooting $2/box CCI SV.

Night Stalkerr 7-20-19.jpg
Night Stalker 7-20-19.jpg
0720192105.jpg
0720192107.jpg

First I heard of an issue like that. Have you talked to anyone at Beretta?

Between yesterday and today I have shot over 1,000 rounds. Most have been out of a Win 52B and D. It got dark on me and those type reinforcement rings I was using as bullseyes are not good in the dark because they reflect light at certain angles. So, what's a guy to do when he has an extra target up...and it's dark...yeah baby that's right... bring out the Night Stalker.

The target isn't that good but I was getting a lot of reflection and was shooting faster than normal. Oh yeah, and I was shooting $2/box CCI SV.

View attachment 7115577View attachment 7115578View attachment 7115579View attachment 7115580

Is that a fan next to you too keep you cool and blow away mosquitos?

In my 1500 rounds I've had it happen maybe 10 times. Sometimes I think I didn't seat the bullet all the way back. Most of the time it also happened with the last round or second to last round of the magazine too.

It hasn't happened once in the last 200 rounds. I had one fte where the casing spun but got stuck in the chamber on Friday as well.

I haven't contacted Beretta yet. I have been using 6 different mags - so isn't seem related to an individual mag.

Yay I got my Sterk handle in the mail today. It was a cinch to install. I also got one for my T3X which required a bit more understanding how to take apart the bolt, was equally easy. T1X is fully setup now... only thing I would do is maybe get a carbon bull barrel, one day, and I want to cerakote my action black to not have it stand out like a sore thumb. I've never cerakoted anything before so I'll have to look around and see how it's done, and not ruin any internals.

Also highly recommend the precision underground ELR bag.

Tikka T1X
Athlon Ares 4.5-30x56
Seekins 34mm 1" high rings
Sterk swept back bolt handle
Atlas PSR

Littlepod, from the time you paid for your Sterk how long did it take to get here? I just paid for mine tonight. I went with the silver handle and black knob.

Littlepod, from the time you paid for your Sterk how long did it take to get here? I just paid for mine tonight. I went with the silver handle and black knob.

! I should have thought about that silver handle/black knob combo. Doh! I wonder what gunsmith can at least get mine all cerakoted black or something (the entire bolt assembly).

I ordered from Sterk himself - some dates

June 14th, asked to be put on his list for his next batch.
July 4th, told that the batch was ready and he was working down his list and sending out invoices.
July 6th Received and paid the Invoice
July 11th Package processed by Australia Post
July 15th Off on international plane.
July 16th landed in Los Angeles - Customs
July 20th delivered to Seattle, WA.

I’m having this issue out of 6 different mags at the moment. Not sure if a solution of their than sending the mags back for replacement.
QUOTE]

Here's 3 shots showing how the jam progresses.
1) Bullet is jammed into top of the barrel and lodges there.

2) Racking the bolt pushes the round further down into the magazine.

3) Magazine must be removed to clear and comes out in this state. You can see the scarred top of the bullet.

I'm calling Beretta tomorrow to see if I can get some help with this. BTW - this was the 5th round in the magazine - first 4 loaded and extracted perfect.

Poke_53 I really hosed this post with my pics - but would like to know how this compares to what you're seeing.

Poke_53 I really hosed this post with my pics - but would like to know how this compares to what you're seeing.

I had that issue with my very first magazine. In my case it was on me because I didn’t load the magazine properly. I wasn’t pushing the rounds all the way to the back of the magazine. Mine did exactly what you are showing. Try making sure you push the rounds as far to the rear of the magazine when you load them. I think if you do that it will fix your issue.