• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Tikka T3 .308 brake question

Sdupontjr

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2020
Figured I'd post here so the Smith's could chime in. I'm looking to tame some of the recoil and muzzle jump of this lite .308. I'm not looking to add any weight to the gun to help. It does have a limb saver but I'd like to some opinions on which route to go. The barrel tip at 22-1/4" is .630". If its cut back to 20", the OD is .640". Not much difference. Also I cant find and good pics of brakes on 30 cal sporters thus me asking.

You don't have to go 5/8-24. 9/16-24 works as well. That is the minimum that thunderbeast recommends on their thread spec page. They do recommend a minimum od of 0.660.

I would also recommend @LongRifles Inc. for threading. $100 for a thread and crown and very fast turn around times. I think my 22lr rifle took 2 weeks including shipping.
thumb_8683_1600_0_0_0_crop.jpg

Not putting suppressor on this one just a possible brake. I've heard of others putting 1/2-28 but they never mentioned the caliber. Thus me wondering if itll be enough meat.

Not putting suppressor on this one just a possible brake. I've heard of others putting 1/2-28 but they never mentioned the caliber. Thus me wondering if itll be enough meat.
From what I've seen the wall thickness is a little too thin on 1/2-28 for a 30 cal. I've heard reports of muzzles bell mouthing.

Just call up LRI and discuss with them. You may not be wanting a suppressor or be able to get one but LRI does threads the right way. The reason why I brought up thunderbeast is because they published a thread spec with measurements and class of fits (the spec of class 3 fit at the bottom. Means stuff to machinists.) If everybody measures and cuts to the same rules everything should fit the right way. Don't just cut til the muzzle break goes on. Cut to a standard. You still want good threads (on size and concentric) for a muzzle break too.

i sent my mate to my smith with his tikka 308 lite. my smith spun up thread on his barrel and installed a 3 port brake he (my smith) makes. no barrel shortening needed and he got his barreled action ceracoated while there. if a smith tells you it cant be done, find another smith.

i'll see if my mate can send me a pic of his tomorrow as he works nights and its night here.

finally got a pic of his 308 lite with a brake my smith makes. crappy pic but it sits nice on his barrel. i'll be installing the same brake on my 6.5 to replace the factory brake that came with my LA105. i'll get a better pic of it when i see him next. this thing i couldn't spot my shot when it didn't have a brake. i'll see how it goes with the brake when i get behind it.

tikka 308 lite.jpg