• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

Got my CTR mag stock today. Now my bolt gun collection is complete.
IMG_20191217_193453.jpg

I have a "1 safe" rule and it is full so something would have to go before being replaced.

It's the only way I can keep myself in check :)
So now you have the guns, focus on optics, get a nice S&B for all those rifles.

So now you have the guns, focus on optics, get a nice S&B for all those rifles.

I've thought about it but I have kind of outgrown the want for ultra expensive optics.

I'm perfectly happy with the Gen II Razor and DMR II's. My vision just isn't good enough to utilize anything more expensive.

Reactions: PFG
I've thought about it but I have kind of outgrown the want for ultra expensive optics.

I'm perfectly happy with the Gen II Razor and DMR II's. My vision just isn't good enough to utilize anything more expensive.
Wait. Gen II razors aren’t expensive? Is your company hiring?

What would be your dream Tikka build?

If there would be a Tikka custom shop, unlike that would never happen, but what if ;)

I would love this kind of build.

Tikka action with KRG Midas trigger.
Steel picatinny rail 0 MOA.
Proof carbonfiber bull barrer 22-24".
Never even hold my hands one, but read a lot and they look very good, and it would keep the weight down, since the barrel is the most heavy part on rifle.
Caliber could be 6mm creedmoor or 6mm XC, never had 6mm.
KRG Whiskey gen 3 chassis with folding stock.
Full titanium suppressor, light and quiet.
Final drop would be cerakoted with multicamo, kind of love that pattern.

Simple.

20moa base

Foundation stock
Sterk handle
Midas trigger
PVA carbon sendero barrel at 26"
6.5PRC
156gr bergers
Vortex AMG
TBAC ultra 5 can

This is actually, the next rifle I build.

A Tikka noob question. I'm thinking about starting a 6.5 PRC project and want to use a T3x action.

As long as I buy one of the variants with the magnum bolt face, can I simply buy a prefit barrel (looking at the Proofs right now), an action wrench and put it together myself?

yes

Reactions: bfk4lyfe
Ordered the Timney 2-stage trigger last night. I was seriously considering the KRG Midas but, three things made me choose the Timney. First was the adjustment range for take up and release. By their advertised numbers, the KRG didn't go as low as the Timney. Perhaps that doesn't paint the whole picture but, it was a consideration. The second factor was my experience with Timney. I have three Timney's in my safe right now and all have served me well. I figure, I'm used to their performance so this should be a similar experience. The final factor was price. Most outlets had the Timney for $245. Not a huge difference in price from the Midas at $289...but, then I found the Timney on GrabAGun for $188. That was the final decision maker!

Bob

Hey guys,

Don't have access to a chrono at the moment. But, i am just curious as to what what type of speeds guys are getting from factory 140/147 ELDM's out of a 24" CTR with factory barrel.

Just picked one up and topped it with an Ares ETR 4.5-30X and am excited to stretch it's legs and start working up data. Think realistically it'll get something like 2650 with the 140's. Planning on sticking with factory till my shooting improves enough to warrant reloading.

American gunner 140's about 2750 in a 26 in barrel, hornady match eld's are over 2800 in my rifles. Prime 130's closer to 2900.

Can anyone recommend a good die set for 6.5 cm?

I used the RCBS to start, then picked up a set of whidden's with the micrometer. I really like the whidden dies, RCBS work fine, just not as easy to fine tune the seating depth.

A Tikka noob question. I'm thinking about starting a 6.5 PRC project and want to use a T3x action.

As long as I buy one of the variants with the magnum bolt face, can I simply buy a prefit barrel (looking at the Proofs right now), an action wrench and put it together myself?
From what I have read, removing the old barrel might require a gunsmith.

Can anyone recommend a good die set for 6.5 cm?
I have had good luck with the Hornady match grade dies with the bushing and micrometer adjust seating stem for my 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Shot groups in the .1 and .2 with both rifles. Good deal for the $$ if you look around.

Simple.

20moa base

Foundation stock
Sterk handle
Midas trigger
PVA carbon sendero barrel at 26"
6.5PRC
156gr bergers
Vortex AMG
TBAC ultra 5 can

This is actually, the next rifle I build.

I wish Foundation would inlet for a Tikka.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I have had good luck with the Hornady match grade dies with the bushing and micrometer adjust seating stem for my 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Shot groups in the .1 and .2 with both rifles. Good deal for the $$ if you look around.
Which bushing do you use? Thanks!

Which bushing do you use? Thanks!

Depends on the brass and caliber. I use NAMMO brass in my 223 and Peterson in the 6.5 Creed. My son shot Prime brass in his 6.5 and it took a different bushing. Need to measure the neck of a loaded round and subtract the neck tension that you want for a bushing size. I use .002" neck tension.

I called and asked them, it will only be in the terrain model and some time in 2020.

Would really like to see the renegade done for the T3 but the terrain is fine since it would be mainly for a hunting rifle with no more than a medium Palma profile barrel.

Just have to keep bugging them I guess or go with a Manners.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Any side view pictures of this rifle? Just wondering how the MT bottom metal looks from the side on a real rifle.
A4B8BBBF-A1F6-4F0C-9996-AE83871040EC.jpeg

I should mention I’m happy with the product MT puts out. Have a bunch of thier stuff, no problem with any of it. They answer the phone when I call and are pretty receptive. Got to test function a little on the above setup today and it feeds like a dream, smoother than stock setup, I was surprised.

Last edited:
View attachment 7205076

I should mention I’m happy with the product MT puts out. Have a bunch of thier stuff, no problem with any of it. They answer the phone when I call and are pretty receptive. Got to test function a little on the above setup today and it feeds like a dream, smoother than stock setup, I was surprised.
Thanks. I didn't like the MT pictures of the square trigger guard but it looks pretty good on a rifle.

Finally got my new build out to the range! Not too shabby, only put groups to 100, but it seems to like the American Gunner 140s the best!

Attachments

• 20191218_142332.jpg
    20191218_142332.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20191218_174355.jpg
    20191218_174355.jpg
    765.6 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: Ranger Bob
From what I have read, removing the old barrel might require a gunsmith.

Or not, a buddy of mine just swapped his barrel. Barrel vice, outside action wrench, tap with a mallet. He has little experience with rifles and thought it was easy.

When I decided to start shooting “long range” I bought a Tikka Tac A1 6.5 creedmoor. It was a laser and was way easier than I expected. So being the hard head I am, I purchased a CTR in 308, put a night force ATCR 5-25 on it and bought a used mcRees chassis off the hide.
I did a half ass barrel break in but got board fast, went to range close to the house today to get dope out to 400. 200= .5, 300=1.5, 400, 2.2 mils.
Hornady ELDM 168 TAP

today was shot 41-60 on it. I was more than impressed with the groups, but my windage wasn’t near a pretty!!

Attachments

• 44919031-78BE-4E41-A1C3-D9E03F225886.png
    44919031-78BE-4E41-A1C3-D9E03F225886.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • 1F71955A-B169-4B1E-B57D-262DDEA75B16.png
    1F71955A-B169-4B1E-B57D-262DDEA75B16.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 64
In order to make sure I have the correct metric allen wrench, what size screws hold the top scope rail onto a T3 Tac A1?

Last edited:
Magazines?

T3x CTR in a KRG Bravo stock.
Have modded a Magpul 10-round P-Mag for the Rem 700 SA which works just fine now.

Just want to have some backups, thinking about trying an MDT mag, but then read a recommondation to only load 8 rounds because the MDT mag might bulge otherwise.

Has somebody experiences with boths mags, MDT and P-Mag?
:)

Look elsewhere than magpul in a Tikka. Too much modifications needed for Tikkas that weakens the feed lips.

KRG branded mags are made for them by Accurate Mag.

You mean those, right?

Do those without the binder plate have any disadvantages?
I have one in a 5 round and it has worked well. If you're running all Tikkas, without the binder plate is the way to go. If you also have a Remington, you might consider with the plate unless you want separate mags for each rifle.

Reactions: Jayjay1
Haven't posted in here in a while. My CTR is still rocking and rolling any time I get behind it. Got the new tripod setup and area419 rail. Will be upgrading the scope soon.
IMG_2261.JPG

First time shooting groups off the tripod this morning. First 3 groups top left to bottom right getting a feel for the new shooting style.
IMG_2263.JPG

What brand is that cheek pad?

That´s HopticUSA.
Matt is doing a cheek rest saddle blanket for a Bravo and Whiskey/X-ray at this very moment.
Send a message to Matt, and ask when those are in the shop.

TAC A1 owners, get this, you will love it.

I have the universal model, work just fine, but that TAC A1 model looks just way better.

Reactions: cannoncrossfire
Does anyone know any gunsmiths spinning up Proof barrels for Tikka without the action. I wanted to purchase a prefit but it seems to be 10 to 12 weeks out. Im looking at the Sendero with the 1.13 shank diameter so I dont have to remove the radius. My short list to call on Monday is LRI, Mile High, Straight Jacket. Any other recommendations?