• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

[No message]

Attachments

• photo66504.jpg
    photo66504.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 116
I'm back in the Tikka owners club. Had a T3 lite about 8 years ago that I traded and wished I wouldn't have!

T3-CTR 6.5CM
ATACR 4-16 F1
NF Ultralight 1" rings
Yo-Dave trigger
SAS TOMB Brake
Aftermarket bolt and shroud

I swapped out my stock for an Element chassis yesterday and I really love the feel of the rifle now. I think it helped my accuracy by the stock not touching anywhere and the added weight and stability.

Here are 5 shots at 100 with Berger 130 hybrids.

36391484855_b0f01612ff_k.jpg

Reactions: TheChief
I swapped out my stock for an Element chassis yesterday and I really love the feel of the rifle now. I think it helped my accuracy by the stock not touching anywhere and the added weight and stability.

Here are 5 shots at 100 with Berger 130 hybrids.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/farm5.staticflickr.com\/4419\/36391484855_b0f01612ff_k.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Very well done! I love my XLR chassis as well. I feel mine helped with accuracy too.

20170807_130527.jpg

Well, this is Tikka number 3 in the safe, just got her together. .260Rem CTR, YoDave, XRay, Harvester, DMR2. Hopefully pop the cherry Sat!

Reactions: TheChief
Got my TSR-1 in from Europtic, put it together and took it out yesterday. I really like the package and do not think that one could do much better for the price. I like the McRee G10 stock and all of the M-Lok slots for add-ons. I think that it even has spots for QD swivels, but I did not get a chance to check up and verify if that is true or not. The stock pack by Tactical Tailor is very well made, but I will have to replace it since I plan on trying this out in local matches, where we often have weak side shots under time and pressure. The stock pack will interfere with that, so I think I'll glue on some thin neoprene padding instead.
photo67020.jpg

The 20" barrel gives it a nice balance and it is pounds lighter than my regular match rifle. Very handy. I did not think to adjust the trigger pull before going out, so it was at a nice, crisp, heavy 4 lbs. Nonetheless, the first 10 shots down the tube made it clear that this is a shooter. I used a box of factory Prime .260 with the 130g golden match for it's first firing.

photo67021.jpg

Shots #1 and 2 were my sighters as I adjusted the scope for zero. Shots 3-5 were close for a zero, so I just kept the same POA to see what the rifle did. The next five shots were not bad, only marred by my poor fundamentals yesterday. I then finished setting and refining zero.

My barrel break-in consisted of a cleaning patch followed by a dry patch before firing the 1st round.

Last edited:
It was a pretty meticulous build. But a lot of it was about patience... and getting some great products from some of the best vendors on SH. So a team effort and a bit of a showcase. Since here and in another thread, I've gotten some great questions about sub-caliber shooting... here are a couple of resources:

www.saubier.com is the 'go-to' shooting site. They have lots of info/resources.

And below is a supplier of dies, some brass, etc.

It's a whole different world of shooting. Tiny bullets at utterly insane velocities. It's pushing the envelope of ballistics in the other direction from the 'big boys.'

I think, too, that there could be a tactical role for these little guys. At LE ranges of <100 yards typically there is potential for massive energy transfer, but no shoot-through. But I doubt anyone has ever studied the tactical applications for a sub-caliber. Probably a good Masters Thesis in there for someone.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Great project and nice work! That is some perserverance, haha, the chassis you have there is about 3 generations old! Too bad the Sako didn't work out, such a nice action.
Justin

I couldn't be happier with how my tikka is performing! Now if I could just shoot to it's capabilities that would be great. Looks like more time at the range, such a bad way to spend the day. Group was 6 shoots at 100yds, bipod with rear bags. I've only done 4 matches with this rifle and been really impressed. I really want to build a 223 now.
14e24b0584139fcb70c595e5f6eb312a.jpg
b4be583b5e59a808dbe6186dd91446df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Brighthighlight
Great project and nice work! That is some perserverance, haha, the chassis you have there is about 3 generations old! Too bad the Sako didn't work out, such a nice action.
Justin

Yup, but it was state of the art when I started the project! And I still think it's a fantastic chassis. The new ones must be works of art!

Cheers and thanks, J!

Sirhr

I couldn't be happier with how my tikka is performing! Now if I could just shoot to it's capabilities that would be great. Looks like more time at the range, such a bad way to spend the day. Group was 6 shoots at 100yds, bipod with rear bags. I've only done 4 matches with this rifle and been really impressed. I really want to build a 223 now.

Did you really mean that? I must be a deplorable then, since I consider a bad day at the range to be better than a good day almost anywhere else.

Nice shooting by the way!

Did you really mean that? I must be a deplorable then, since I consider a bad day at the range to be better than a good day almost anywhere else.

Nice shooting by the way!
Oh hell no! I was being 100% sarcastic, I'd much rather have a terrible day at the range then be any where else.

14e24b0584139fcb70c595e5f6eb312a.jpg
b4be583b5e59a808dbe6186dd91446df.jpg

Nice shooting

Are you using the 140's or 130's with that charge?

That was with Nosler 140 RDF.

I guess I didn't go high enough. I stopped at 43.0 grains based on what I had been reading, but I never saw any pressure signs but velocity was a lot slower than anythign else I have tried running. I know this is still a pretty new powder and not much is out there for the 4451 and the 140's. Hodgdons sites has it stopping at 41.1

I guess I didn't go high enough. I stopped at 43.0 grains based on what I had been reading, but I never saw any pressure signs but velocity was a lot slower than anythign else I have tried running. I know this is still a pretty new powder and not much is out there for the 4451 and the 140's. Hodgdons sites has it stopping at 41.1
I could have kept going if I wanted too, but I figured that was high enough and it was producing great groups. Surprisingly though, when I tested it with a lab radar I am only pushing it at 2750FPS, which is on par with my reloader 17 load but using less powder. I may bump it down and try some different seating depths.

I could have kept going if I wanted too, but I figured that was high enough and it was producing great groups. Surprisingly though, when I tested it with a lab radar I am only pushing it at 2750FPS, which is on par with my reloader 17 load but using less powder. I may bump it down and try some different seating depths.

CTR barreled action?

I'm loading 44 grains even in my 20" 260 for 2680 fps and high single digit SD. No pressure like I got with the ELD and AMAX before.

Edit: Also, what stock? May deviate from my chassis ways next season...

CTR barreled action?

I'm loading 44 grains even in my 20" 260 for 2680 fps and high single digit SD. No pressure like I got with the ELD and AMAX before.

Edit: Also, what stock? May deviate from my chassis ways next season...
Yes, factory 24" 6.5 barrel. My SD's are still mid teens so I'm going to start playing around with seating depth next, I've heard mixed reviews on the Noslers seating depth so we will see.

The stock is a McMillan A5 adjustable. I love how the stock feels and handles. I'm partial to McMillan though, I have one on my hunting rifle, my 300WM and the tikka. I highly recommend them. I used to shoot chassis's but I could never quite get comfortable like I can behind a stock. Here's more pictures if the stock. Look at Mountain Tactical bottom metal so you can run AICS pattern magazine's if you do decide to run a stock instead of the chassis.

00e58e5f6353f45f66171d09c3f40487.jpg
31aeb7e9af2c229949b93568203304f7.jpg
5754e66b11bf15f5b76896df5794b26e.jpg
d35bed69a15607d8c27f6fcdad604ec9.jpg
ad5828fd0e0ef6a84214c42e52ac8089.jpg
fdc6c4412d98221a880f216c7bc872d1.jpg
139e8e42b0692c83fbb4367854da2700.jpg
d4d1323e12963a7600ec34c9fac1ce52.jpg
634578c457a1127e5d87570ef94ef983.jpg

We are now accepting pre-orders on our Tikka T3 nEXTgen Bottom Metal. No prepayment required, just sign up on our website by entering your email.

We have two long action models...

1) AICS Magazine (LA) - fits in OEM stock with only minor modification

2) SAKO/TRG Magazine (LA) - fits in aftermarket stocks and requires inletting.

Both allow an OAL of 3.500"+

full-20237-110560-img_0262.jpg

full-20237-110561-img_0261.jpg

We are now accepting pre-orders on our Tikka T3 nEXTgen Bottom Metal. No prepayment required, just sign up on our website by entering your email.

We have two long action models...

1) AICS Magazine (LA) - fits in OEM stock with only minor modification

2) SAKO/TRG Magazine (LA) - fits in aftermarket stocks and requires inletting.

Both allow an OAL of 3.500"+

full-20237-110560-img_0262.jpg

full-20237-110561-img_0261.jpg

Well this is pretty cool, does the magazine hang out in front of the action like a CDI? Looks like maybe not, beings the trigger guard is a touch shorter in length... I'd like to hear how this is designed.

Well this is pretty cool, does the magazine hang out in front of the action like a CDI? Looks like maybe not, beings the trigger guard is a touch shorter in length... I'd like to hear how this is designed.

Thanks. We are really excited about this. We have filed for a patent on the design and CNC machines are spooling up now -- we expect to have ready to ship in next couple weeks.

These bottom metal pieces are unique in a couple ways...

Both AI and TRG magazine models allow an "extended" COAL over what current DBM will achieve -- at least 3.500. My 280ai with the CDI only would feed 3.36 without hanging up on the feed ramp. We repositioned the lever housing to shift magazine further back which allows a longer OAL but round can still clear the bottom of the feed ramp.

Our AICS version is the first (that I know of) that allows long action AI mags to run in a factory stock or an aftermarket inletted for factory bottom metal.

Our Sako/TRG model is the first and only DBM that mates a trg 300 wm magazine with the Tikka action. I find the fit, finish, feed, and size of these mags far superior to AI. Much like a long action CTR.

Thats great, thanks alot. Opens up a lot of possibilities for the long action Tikka!

20170812_124636.jpg

Center target is one bore sighted rd and a group with FGMM. Bottom 3 targets on left are also 142 FGMM. Bottom 4 targets on the right are Hor. 130 ELDMs. Numbers are:
142gr FGMM SMK- Av 2592fps, 16.6SD, ES 56.
130 ELDM- 2507fps, 18.6SD, ES of 61.
Sample size was 20rds of each.
20170812_114501-1.jpg
20170812_122629-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
For anyone wanting a swept handle, a local company here in utah has started to produce bent handles for Tikka rifles. He doesn't have the rounded knobs like sterk does, but he has many other options to choose from. He is talking to some people about possibly doing rounded knobs but no luck so far. Here is the link:

http://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/tikka-bolt-handle-upgrade/

I ordered one last night and will give feed back once I've received it and are able to play around with it.

For anyone wanting a swept handle, a local company here in utah has started to produce bent handles for Tikka rifles. He doesn't have the rounded knobs like sterk does, but he has many other options to choose from. He is talking to some people about possibly doing rounded knobs but no luck so far. Here is the link:

I ordered one last night and will give feed back once I've received it and are able to play around with it.

I just ordered one too, and ordered one of these knobs......

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/180663/ptg-bolt-knob-round-aluminum

Finally got some rounds down, with FGMM 142 SMKs and Hor. 130 ELDMs.

Center target is one bore sighted rd and a group with FGMM. Bottom 3 targets on left are also 142 FGMM. Bottom 4 targets on the right are Hor. 130 ELDMs. Numbers are:
142gr FGMM SMK- Av 2592fps, 16.6SD, ES 56.
130 ELDM- 2507fps, 18.6SD, ES of 61.
Sample size was 20rds of each.

my gun liked the fgmm til it got broke in then sd and es opened up. but I know fgmm is same from box to box. A gun my gunsmith built runs only fgmm and has taken to a mile and shown sd of 1. yes one, its crazy for factory ammo. the best I seen over a 10 shot string was 13 but the es was over 30. I found some imr4451 cheap on gun broker and got it. my new load is crazy accurate 2794fps 3sd/7es (26' rock creek barrel 1/8)

Yeah, I don't know what to think, I was hoping for a little lower SD/ES than what's showing. The 130s are grouping better than the 142s for now, but there's only 80rds downrange yet. Another thing about the FGMM, I was seeing ejector swipe and had some sticky bolt lifts. So I got a case of Hor 130 ELDMs on the way, I'll try that out. This was the one rifle I was hoping I didn't have to handload for, it'll be a PRS match gun only. It's sure not breaking any speed records either, but if it's shooting well I don't care..

In. 24" CTR in 6.5CM. Have a 10x Super Sniper on it now, but will be putting more powerful glass later, and am going to dress up the stock with some Duracoat. Shoots, well right out of the box with 140g Hornade AMAX right at 1/2 MOA 100yds. Haven't had time to develop a load for it yet, but am looking forward to getting some results and DOPE. 20170805_140026.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing that! I just ordered the round knob as well. I will share my experiences once I get time to play with them.[/QUOTE]

Please do share your thoughts and maybe compare the quality and ergonomics to the Sterk swept ball handle. They'll be starting to ship out after the weekend.

Been looking for this. Thank you!

Nice minute of thumb group! ;)

But truly these Tikkas are shooters. Now having one, I'm on board.

Following the advice from members here, I finally got my Tac A1. I went with .308. I know .308 is old and busted and 6.5 is the new hotness but I am not set up to reload and I have almost 2k rounds of .308 match too feed the OBR. Plus, if I want to take some friends plinking I can run M80 for way cheaper than any 6.5 ammo out there.

I I swapped the grip with a BCM grip to match all my other rifles. Topped it with a Steiner Military 4-16 that I picked up here in the spring. Swapped the bolt handle for something with a little more "texture." Can't wait to zero it this weekend!

Its ra my first bolt gun!

Attachments

• photo68121.jpg
    photo68121.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 70
Here´s mine. It was a laminated stainless .243 win which I modified with a 18.5" Sendero Benchmark in 6.5 CM, Melonited the whole barreled action minus the bolt. Got a CTR stock, Pic rail, aluminium shroud, yodave trigger and a mini mag muscle break.
Upgraded the stocks with Titanium recoil lugs and SS pillars

I use it in 2 configurations: Hunting version and Shooting version.

Attachments

• IMG_9001_zpsz68ydugu.jpg
    IMG_9001_zpsz68ydugu.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8793_zpsxelc0xrf.jpg
    IMG_8793_zpsxelc0xrf.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_8795_zpse6xqozyi.jpg
    IMG_8795_zpse6xqozyi.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8787_zps6wvuelj7.jpg
    IMG_8787_zps6wvuelj7.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 107
Played with my T3x Varmint. Love how smooth the bolt is. Removed the stock and re-installed. The screws were pretty tight, but I couldn't figure out how many in/lbs. Does anyone have a spec for this? The book said "receiver screws 62 in/lbs" Are these the two trigger guard screws? If so, that seem way too high for plastic pieces like the guard.

thanks

Played with my T3x Varmint. Love how smooth the bolt is. Removed the stock and re-installed. The screws were pretty tight, but I couldn't figure out how many in/lbs. Does anyone have a spec for this? The book said "receiver screws 62 in/lbs" Are these the two trigger guard screws? If so, that seem way too high for plastic pieces like the guard.

thanks

On my T3X CTR, it's set at 40 inch lbs. I would start at 40 and increase by 5 if you want, but most from what I have read stop around 40-45 with the factory stock

Interesting, I torqued mine to 62in-lbs per the manual but looking at aftermarket stocks the torque specs are all over the place:

Tikka Instruction Manual: 62in-lbs
MPA BA: 65in-lbs
KRG XRay: 35-50 in-lbs (recommend 40in-lbs)
KRG W3: 65in-lbs
MDT ESS: 60in-lbs
MDT HS3: 65in-lbs

Edit: I couldnt find anything "on the line" about McRee's G7 or G10. The website just says it ships with instructions

I guess just use whatever works for you...carry on

Last edited:
I checked the instructions for my G10 and it also says 65 in.lbs.

The type and material of a stock might explain some differences in torque values.

My g10 said 65 as well, however I kept it at 55 in lbs as it shot better and I had it at 40 in the factory stock.

Last edited:
Interesting, I torqued mine to 62in-lbs per the manual but looking at aftermarket stocks the torque specs are all over the place:

Surprised you didn't break the plastic trigger guard with that torque. I'm keeping at 35 for now and will play with it at the range.