• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

Hi All, Greetings from Australia.

Casual lurker. First time poster.

Here's one of my Tikka's. This one has a 26" 1:8 barrel in 6mm Dasher.
The barreled action is mounted into an MDT XRS chassis.
The trigger has been tweaked with a HVHA adjustment block.
It's got a Spuhr 6MIL rail and Spuhr rings holding the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50.
A titanium bolt handle and shroud (also from HVHA).
And rounding out the whole package is the MDT ARCA rail for the Atlas bipod.

IMG_0320.jpg

What rings and height are those? I'm going to be running a similar scope set up on a Proof barrel and like how yours objective glass is right on top of the barrel.
They are nightforce ultralite 34mm rings. I am pretty sure they are the high (1.125"). My bartlein is a m24 contour for reference. The photos don't really show it, but there is more than enough clearance from the barrel to the tenebraex caps.

Reactions: tbx
Anyone have a load using VV N555 with scenar 139s in 6.5 Creedmoor thats works in an OEM 20 or 24 inch barrel?

Hi All, Greetings from Australia.

Casual lurker. First time poster.

Here's one of my Tikka's. This one has a 26" 1:8 barrel in 6mm Dasher.
The barreled action is mounted into an MDT XRS chassis.
The trigger has been tweaked with a HVHA adjustment block.
It's got a Spuhr 6MIL rail and Spuhr rings holding the Nightforce NX8 4-32x50.
A titanium bolt handle and shroud (also from HVHA).
And rounding out the whole package is the MDT ARCA rail for the Atlas bipod.

View attachment 7625150
How’s this run with the dasher. I’m wanting to build a rifle and leaning towards a 6br or 6bra but haven’t been able to find a lot of info on these chambering in a tikka. I’ve read these smaller cartridges lend to more frequent feeding issues.

Anyone have a load using VV N555 with scenar 139s in 6.5 Creedmoor thats works in an OEM 20 or 24 inch barrel?
I haven't tried any VV powder yet. I use h4350
I run h4350 behind the 139 scenars out of my tikka/bartlein build and my cross. Haven't played with VV powder yet, seems to be harder for me to find it than 4350.

My Tikka likes 41.6gr and my cross 41.5gr.

Mudflap, so far the Dasher is working well with almost no feeding issues for either the 6mm BR case prior to fire forming or the Dasher case after fire forming.
The reason I built this Tikka dasher is because of continuous issues I had on an R700 clone. I'm invested into the Dasher now and love the cartridge but wanted something fuss free.
I would say that if the magazine can present the cartridge it feeds perfectly.
I'm using genuine AI 5 round AICS mags which have no issues at all with.
The 10 round AI mags also work but if you're not careful when loading them they can have follower tilt. I'm waiting on some spacer and follower kits for the10rd AI mags and i'm 100% confident they would solve that issue.
The MDT Polymer mags also work ok but the feed lips of the Magpul P mags are too wide which is a shame because they are usually great with dasher. If you really want to use P mags you can mill the receiver bottom to accept them.
There's also a local manufacturer here in Australia that makes billet Aluminum mags for Tikka, Tikka CTR and AICS. He makes a couple of mags specifically for 6mm BR based rounds. These mags feed and cycle perfectly but they don't feel as smooth when cycling the bolt.
I would like to try the MDT 12rd 6mm mags. I'm sure they'd work well but my state has a 10rd mag limit.

Last edited:
Mudflap, so far the Dasher is working well with almost no feeding issues for either the 6mm BR case prior to fire forming or the Dasher case after fire forming.
The reason I built this Tikka dasher is because of continuous issues I had on an R700 clone. I'm invested into the Dasher now and love the cartridge but wanted something fuss free.
I would say that if the magazine can present the cartridge it feeds perfectly.
I'm using genuine AI 5 round AICS mags which have no issues at all with.
The 10 round AI mags also work but if you're not careful when loading them they can have follower tilt. I'm waiting on some spacer and follower kits for the10rd AI mags and i'm 100% confident they would solve that issue.
The MDT Polymer mags also work ok but the feed lips of the Magpul P mags are too wide which is a shame because they are usually great with dasher. If you really want to use P mags you can mill the receiver bottom to accept them.
There's also a local manufacturer here in Australia that makes billet Aluminum mags for Tikka, Tikka CTR and AICS. He makes a couple of mags specifically for 6mm BR based rounds. These mags feed and cycle perfectly but they don't feel as smooth when cycling the bolt.
Thanks you this is just what I wanted to hear. I’d hate to have a cpl grand invested into a hot mess lol. Building off a tikka keeps things similar to my other rifles while also is quite a bit cheaper than going with a custom action.

How’s this run with the dasher. I’m wanting to build a rifle and leaning towards a 6br or 6bra but haven’t been able to find a lot of info on these chambering in a tikka. I’ve read these smaller cartridges lend to more frequent feeding issues.
I have ran a 22 BR with the MDT 12 round BR mags and a couple of their mags with the Primal Rights kits with no problems in my Tikka. I have a 6 Dasher barrel and the dummy rounds feed great in it also. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, hopefully soon.

Anyone have the veil or rough tech in 6.5 prc I haven’t seen any reviews of how it’s shooting. I was wondering if it’s slower than normal like my ctr 6.5 barrel.

Does anyone have a Tikka 223 in a chassis that feeds from AICS mags?
I have a T3X CTR .223 in an MDT XRS chassis. I use the Accurate Mag 5 round mags and the the Ruger branded 10 round Gunsite Scout steel mags made by Accurate Mag.
The "Ruger" mag has extended polymer feed lips compared to the generic Accurate mag.

Both mags feed as slick as you could ever want. In fact they work better then the Tikka .223 CTR mags. More than once i've had to double check that a round was chambered because i couldn't feel it feed, they are that slick.

I have not had to make any adjustments or alterations to either the chassis or magazines. They just work.

Does anyone have a Tikka 223 in a chassis that feeds from AICS mags? How do they feed?
I have difficulty feeding 223 rounds in my J Allen chassis. The bolt pushes the round downwards on both Accurate Mags en MDT mags.
See this thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-223-in-j-allen-chassis.7078925/#post-9522938
I'm starting to think the Tikka action is just not made the be fed well from AICS mags in 223.
I had a similar issue with my 308 in a GRS Bifrost stock with AICS mag bottom metal. Actually had the same bottom in the STD stock with same problem. The mag lips held the round too long such that the bullet tip was forced into the feed ramp. They were also feeding in a nose down attitude.

I trimmed the feed lips on the mag back by 11mm & down by 4mm. This allowed the rounds to feed slightly nose up & pop free of the lips as they engaged the ramp.

You can also look at making the feed lips parallel, as I find AICS have tapered lips, wider at rear narrower at front which force the rounds nose down during feeding. The MDT metal AICS style mags have shorter parallel lips & I have not had to modify them.

On a mag in your hand make sure that if you use a flat object to push the top round forward by its base until stopped by the back of the feed lips, the nose of the round should be pointing up at this position. If still parallel or nose down, you need to adjust the lips, make them slightly wider at the front, which will let the round start to angle up as its pushed forwards, but still be held firmly at its rear.

Also some chassis mag wells hold the mags nose down too. You may find trimming a little of the top front of the mag allows it to engage at a more level or nose up attitude. I see your chassis has an adjustable mag setup which should help.

I hope this helps.

Tikka announced new Super Varmint today...
1622064303092.jpeg

Tikka T3x Super Varmint

T3x Super Varmint gets even better with green Roughtech stock and black spider webbing.

The rifle includes adjustable cheek piece, LOP spacers, vertical grip and beaver tail forend. T3x Super Varmint is equipped with tungsten cerakote color barreled action topped with picatinny rail, fluted bolt with oversized knob, varmint barrel (23.7”), 5/8-24 threading, two-stage trigger and a long magazine.

Two additional models introduced also.

Tikka announced new Super Varmint today...
View attachment 7634102
Tikka T3x Super Varmint

T3x Super Varmint gets even better with green Roughtech stock and black spider webbing.

The rifle includes adjustable cheek piece, LOP spacers, vertical grip and beaver tail forend. T3x Super Varmint is equipped with tungsten cerakote color barreled action topped with picatinny rail, fluted bolt with oversized knob, varmint barrel (23.7”), 5/8-24 threading, two-stage trigger and a long magazine.

Two additional models introduced also.
Will it be sold in the states?

The Varmint Hunter looks way prettier than the Super Varmint! I love the look of the steep grip wood stock! I bet the wood won't be high grade, but still.

Reactions: 2c1fr
The Varmint Hunter looks way prettier than the Super Varmint! I love the look of the steep grip wood stock! I bet the wood won't be high grade, but still.

Sometimes you get lucky with tikka wood and it looks pretty decent for a $1000 gun.

Got out to test my new prototype chassis this morning. I’ll be damned if this isn’t my favorite center fire to shoot. Loves 143 ELDX. It’s just a 3 shot group (I know, drag me) but I’m a little short on Ammo at the moment so conserving until I can get more serious testing in.

Attachments

• BB0F362B-50AD-4B95-B4C7-B8CE6BAB2948.jpeg
    BB0F362B-50AD-4B95-B4C7-B8CE6BAB2948.jpeg
    698.1 KB · Views: 184
  • 5CE3239A-6310-473F-99EE-2B27F36E6067.jpeg
    5CE3239A-6310-473F-99EE-2B27F36E6067.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Had this Tikka T3 for about 4 or 5 years now. Started life out as a Tac A1. This last year I dropped it in a MDT ACC, upgraded to the Timney T3, replaced the factory barrel with a PVA 26" Rock Creek in 6.5 Creedmoor from @bohem. It has 2,100 rounds down the barrel and is still hammering tiny groups. I've never actually had a chance to measure groups beyond 100 yards, but yesterday the 600 yd range was dead. Target is a 12x20 IPSC. Put my first 5 shot group on the center right above the water line. Put my last 4 shots on the head box, which I think is 4"x4"

Attachments

• 2021-05-31_13-05-34_702.jpg
    2021-05-31_13-05-34_702.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 2021-05-31_09-37-39_972.jpg
    2021-05-31_09-37-39_972.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 184
  • 2021-05-31_10-21-34_571.jpg
    2021-05-31_10-21-34_571.jpg
    626.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
So just in case anyone else buys a Jae tikka chassis, I found something out tonight. If you drop a t3x action into a jae, your bolt won't go back far enough to catch a round.

20210601_231327.jpg

Also, I am fully aware of the 2 mag adjustments that the chassis has. But that only adjusts mag fit and height. Not forward and back placement. So after looking at it for awhile I noticed that it will only work if I replace the bolt stop with a long action stop.

So luckily Midwayusa had some and I overnight aired one just now (I leave in 5 days for our pdog hunt).

Has anyone experienced this? I thought I would put this up here since I searched the crap outta the issue before I talked to my buddy.

Wha
So just in case anyone else buys a Jae tikka chassis, I found something out tonight. If you drop a t3x action into a jae, your bolt won't go back far enough to catch a round.

View attachment 7638575

Also, I am fully aware of the 2 mag adjustments that the chassis has. But that only adjusts mag fit and height. Not forward and back placement. So after looking at it for awhile I noticed that it will only work if I replace the bolt stop with a long action stop.

So luckily Midwayusa had some and I overnight aired one just now (I leave in 5 days for our pdog hunt).

Has anyone experienced this? I thought I would put this up here since I searched the crap outta the issue before I talked to my buddy.
What aics mag are you using? I’m running accurate mags in a mpa ba chassis and my father has accurate mags in a bravo and no issues with feeding out either.

Wha

What aics mag are you using? I’m running accurate mags in a mpa ba chassis and my father has accurate mags in a bravo and no issues with feeding out either.
So to clarify, this is only something I have experienced with a j allen chassis. I run only accurate mags. I have no seen this with any of my other chassis systems (mpa, krg, xlr, etc.)

This is more me seeing if anyone had this issue with a j allen with a t3x action.

So to clarify, this is only something I have experienced with a j allen chassis. I run only accurate mags. I have no seen this with any of my other chassis systems (mpa, krg, xlr, etc.)

This is more me seeing if anyone had this issue with a j allen with a t3x action.
I'd say you'd find that the stock is made with the same distance from the rear action screw to the rear of the magwell as a Remington 700. I made a bunch of stocks for Tikkas the same way (obviously with a different trigger/bolt handle inlet and recoil lug/front action screw location) and it works fine but needs the long action bolt stop. I ended up moving the magwell forward so the front was close to the feed ramp, it worked a lot better for the shorter cartridges like 223 or 6BR.

Reactions: Usmcsomerville
I'd say you'd find that the stock is made with the same distance from the rear action screw to the rear of the magwell as a Remington 700. I made a bunch of stocks for Tikkas the same way (obviously with a different trigger/bolt handle inlet and recoil lug/front action screw location) and it works fine but needs the long action bolt stop. I ended up moving the magwell forward so the front was close to the feed ramp, it worked a lot better for the shorter cartridges like 223 or 6BR.
Glad to hear that I made the right decision ordering that new long action stop. Crazy that I couldnt find a single mention of this online anywhere.

View attachment 7638575

What caliber? I'm guessing 223 or started as a 223.

I remembered this post from a while ago.
Well it must be something that Tikka does in your countries overseas.
I can tell you 100% that my 6.5CM T3x CTR came with a mid length bolt stop.

Pictures I shot of my bolt stops including my CTR T3x.
Other people have confirmed that not only their T3 but also their T3x CTR came with the mid size stop.View attachment 7173666View attachment 7173667

Here is another Picture of the Mid size CTR stop....
View attachment 7173701

What caliber? I'm guessing 223 or started as a 223.

I remembered this post from a while ago.
I bought it new a few years ago as a T3X Ctr 6.5cm. Then I had it rebarreled with my 6.5cm bartlein carbon. Thanks for the thread link, I will have to compare my stop to the photos. Once I found out the issue, I was able to find alot of threads (on different forums) that had a bunch of ppl modifying their stop. But that was generally to utilize long action mags and load longer oal.

I could have filed down my stop, but rather just expedite ship a new stainless one that I know will work.

Not something you want to find out 5 days before leaving for a hunt across the country, lol. I guess that is what I get for swapping my manners to a new chassis so late in the game.

Reactions: LeftyJason
So with the new Super Varmint model, how long until someone starts manufacturing AICS mag compatible bottom metal for it ?
The new OEM stock checks several boxes that the KRG Bravo and the MDT XRS stocks provided upgrades for ( LOP and Cheek Riser Adjustments ),
the last unchecked box is higher capacity metal magazine compatibility.
There's CTR Bottom Metal, but the cost and being limited in mag choice is not optimal.
Who's going to step up ?

So with the new Super Varmint model, how long until someone starts manufacturing AICS mag compatible bottom metal for it ?
The new OEM stock checks several boxes that the KRG Bravo and the MDT XRS stocks provided upgrades for ( LOP and Cheek Riser Adjustments ),
There's CTR Bottom Metal, but the cost and being limited in mag choice is not optimal.
Who's going to step up ?
Doesn’t mountain tactical make a aics bottom metal?

Reactions: 260284 and rothgyr
I've used the Mountain Tactical DBM with AICS mags before. It's designed for the CTR inlet rather than the typical T3 inlet, so it's wide enough to fill that bottom space properly.

Reactions: 260284
Who's going to step up ?
Except for the fact the KRG and MDT are actual modular chassis, not just stocks with adjustable LOP and Cheek Risers.

I've used the Mountain Tactical DBM with AICS mags before. It's designed for the CTR inlet rather than the typical T3 inlet, so it's wide enough to fill that bottom space properly.
It sounds like there will be some minor inletting required on the Super Varmint Stock...

Mounted up the new glass the other day and went and zeroed today. Went well other than I noticed brass was hitting windage turret and bouncing back into chamber. 😳 I was runnning it kinda slow so will test some more before I change anything

Was thinking of cleaning but think I’m gonna wait after measuring. 150 rounds since last cleaned, 5 shot groups.

T3 varmint 223
LC brass
77 SMK
24gr Varget
REM 7 1/2
ED7DA510-9C07-4735-8670-32607225F4DC.jpeg
BB6F2C95-2BA7-4FC0-A019-008581938DBB.jpeg
261A33CE-C13C-4D20-B061-656AA967376B.jpeg

I have two of the Mountain Tactical AICS that fit the CTR inlet.