Tikka T3 Thread

f>b25

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2018
Ne
You'll find replacement springs that will crisp up the feel and even gain you a bit lighter pull. Personal experience, a trigger backed off that much could lead to problems, sometimes called slam fire in this thread. GL

223pewpew

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2021
USA
You'll find replacement springs that will crisp up the feel and even gain you a bit lighter pull. Personal experience, a trigger backed off that much could lead to problems, sometimes called slam fire in this thread. GL
Thanks, ill look for a spring !

BigTimeMediocrity

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2020
Canada
Anarchy outdoors has decent options. Stocking is a bit more consistent. Their titanium handle is nice and beefy.
I got an anarchy outdoors swept handle and knob on my T3x, and I vouch for them. Great quality.

Call @gr8fuldoug and get into an Ares ETR 4.5-30. more scope for the money and same warranty as Vortex
I also vouch for the Ares ETR, however they definitely don't have the same warranty. You could throw your Vortex out the window on the highway, or get bored and shoot it, and they'd send you a new one. I'm pretty sure Athlon just covers manufacturing defects for life. Vortex's warranty is unmatched, and a big selling point IMHO.

Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    Anybody using the MDT ACC chassis with their Tikka T3? I have a 24" TAC A1 in 6.5 and considering swapping to the MDT chassis.
    I have an ACC that I bought used on here. SHot one match with it last fall, have not shot it since. I pulled it out a few weeks ago and screwed on a Preferred Barrel 6 Dasher in their 900 varmint contour. It came with the internal weights, adding some home made external weights soon. Have too many projects right now.

Lurp06x

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 23, 2020
    I have a question for the tikka tac A1 owners.

On the folding butt stock are you able to attach a buffer tube and put a PRS stock on?

I’m pretty new to tikka stuff but considering buying one for this coming season.

I just want to know what options I have if I’m not a fan of the butt stock.

thanks

YotaEer

Supporter
    Supporter
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 3, 2019
    Pittsburgh
    I have several tuned up tikkas, as well as high end full custom builds. A properly adjusted Tikka trigger is almost impossible to feel the difference from a TT special or field trigger. Timneys lower end stuff, same thing. My TT diamond triggers, you can notice a very slight difference in dexterity and break at lower pound settings. The Tikka for what it is, is a fantastic setup. Unless I'm building a long action case of more than 3.4" loaded length, I would take a Tikka over customs due to cost, short bolt throw, smoothness and the excellent factory trigger. The aftermarket has really taken to the T3 as well. Grayboe is stated the Phoenix stock will be coming soon in long and short action, factory bdm as well as aics dbm very soon. That will be a great option for this action as well.

I have a grayboe Phoenix with the factory CTR bottom metal coming any day now. Will update with pics/thoughts in the next couple weeks.

Reactions: khuber84

YotaEer

Supporter
    Supporter
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 3, 2019
    Pittsburgh
    Update from Grayboe, they “weren’t happy in QC with how a rifle bolted into it was feeding. We are re-machining it and hope to get it out by the end of the month.”

this is their first go at a Tikka version of the Phoenix, so I’m glad they’re taking their time and not sending me a pile of shit.

Graywolf.260

rocket surgeon
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 1, 2010
    western MT
    I have a question for the tikka tac A1 owners.

On the folding butt stock are you able to attach a buffer tube and put a PRS stock on?

I’m pretty new to tikka stuff but considering buying one for this coming season.

I just want to know what options I have if I’m not a fan of the butt stock.

thanks
    As someone who has a Tac A1 and knows nothing about ARs I'd like to know this also. Supposedly it's modular but it may not be completely standard. I've seen Tacs with the grip switched out, but I'm not sure if the butt section can be easily swapped, and it'd also be interesting to know if the forend could be switched out for non-enclosed forend.

Reactions: Lurp06x

amazingrandy1

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 21, 2012
    Connecticut
    I have a Tac A1, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a vertical pistol grip. Was looking to buy either the MPA or the MDT. Any input would be great!

JGR1953

What the fuck....over
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2017
    I have a Tac A1, and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a vertical pistol grip. Was looking to buy either the MPA or the MDT. Any input would be great!
    Here is a new one from M&K you might want to check out also.

Harry_19

Private
    Minuteman
    Nov 11, 2019
    Southern Alberta
    If you look at my previous post you can see what the Tac A1 looks like with the MDT Vertical Grip. I really like the feel.

Just added a 26” heavy contour prefit in 6.5 CM from International Barrels to the Tikka T3x Tac A1

Other spec:
    Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27
    Spuhr SP-4902 30moa mount
    CKYE-POD
    MDT Muzzel Brak, Arca Rail, Vertical Grip, Forend Weights
    Sterk swept bolt knob
    GRS bag riderView attachment 7547790

Last edited:

N0mad

Straight Shooter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 26, 2010
    Converse, Texas
    I have an older model Tikka T3 CTR in .223 1/8 twist with the older style plastic magazines which I hate. Anyone here have a similar rifle and use the Gen2 Billet Magazine form Mountain Tactical? If so what are your thoughts would you buy another one?

amazingrandy1

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 21, 2012
    Connecticut
    Here is a new one from M&K you might want to check out also.
    I saw that last night when I was browsing the internet. Not a bad design, and like the idea with the watchable thumb rest. Just wish I knew someone that is using it, for feedback.

srt-4_uk

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 6, 2011
    Nebraska
    17.5" Proof in 6x45
    Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15
    Talley rings
    KRG Bravo
    Nelson 12" arca rail
    Glades bolt knob
    MDT mag
    With the Ultra 7, it's 10.5lbs. I'll pick up a lighter stock and scope at some point. Used an AR bolt catch spring to get the trigger pull under a pound. Cost $.40 and didn't spend $9 in shipping. Fires 55gr Varmageddon at 3125fps. Should do well on critters.

20210302_202804.jpg

Last edited:

cannoncrossfire

I am Sterk
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 18, 2011
    Australia
    17.5" Proof in 6x45
    Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15
    Talley rings
    KRG Bravo
    Nelson 12" arca rail
    Sterk bolt knob
    MDT mag
    With the Ultra 7, it's 10.5lbs. I'll pick up a lighter stock and scope at some point. Used an AR bolt catch spring to get the trigger pull under a pound. Cost $.40 and didn't spend $9 in shipping. Fires 55gr Varmageddon at 3125fps. Should do well on critters.

View attachment 7587785
    Nice rifle, handle is a different maker though.

Reactions: 260284

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    I have an older model Tikka T3 CTR in .223 1/8 twist with the older style plastic magazines which I hate. Anyone here have a similar rifle and use the Gen2 Billet Magazine form Mountain Tactical? If so what are your thoughts would you buy another one?

I believe MT's metal magazines are replacements for the factory single stack magazines, not the double stack single feed CTR magazines. Is yours a tactical model with the single stack magazines?

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    Kansas
    17.5" Proof in 6x45
    Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15
    Talley rings
    KRG Bravo
    Nelson 12" arca rail
    Glades bolt knob
    MDT mag

View attachment 7587785
    Looks like a great handy hunting rifle.

PFG

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Dec 13, 2017
    Texas
    Tikka Carbon Six barrels...

Who has one?
    Whos happy?

I've got a Manners stock that is inletting for Rem Varmint, and the Carbon Six Sendero contour seem like it will be the best match for my stock.

Buy from Carbon Six with confidence?

JGR1953

What the fuck....over
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 24, 2017
    Tikka Carbon Six barrels...

Who has one?
    Whos happy?

I've got a Manners stock that is inletting for Rem Varmint, and the Carbon Six Sendero contour seem like it will be the best match for my stock.

Buy from Carbon Six with confidence?
    Absolutely, Gene @CarbonSix builds one hell of a nice barrel.IMG_0721ABC.jpg

Attachments

• 100-1.jpg
      100-1.jpg
      45.6 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

IDbound

Private
    Supporter
    PX Member
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 17, 2011
    Central Kansas
    GRS guys: My donor rifle was a Tac A1. Just curious if your happy with your accuracy in your non-bedded GRS stocks and what torque you tightened your two screws down to.

ElFuego

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 1, 2020
    GRS guys: My donor rifle was a Tac A1. Just curious if your happy with your accuracy in your non-bedded GRS stocks and what torque you tightened your two screws down to.
    Tightened mine to ~62in-lbs. Have not shot it since mounting the GRS - finally got a torque driver last weekend.

GrumpyOleFart

One coffee away from a psychotic episode
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Sep 18, 2020
    Perth, Western Australia
    Torque specs are 46 inch pounds for all screws on Bifrost.
    The difference with new stock is noticeable.
    Money well spent.
    Wheeler torque driver, magic.

Last edited:

ElFuego

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 1, 2020
    Torque specs are 46 inch pounds for all screws on Bifrost.
    The difference with new stock is noticeable.
    Money well spent.
    Wheeler torque driver, magic.
    Uh-oh. Here I thought only the bolt/receiver interface was an issue so followed Tikka’s torque spec. Will adjust mine this evening. Has not been fired or even bore-sighted yet.

Joeg26er

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 26, 2018
    Have a Tac A1, want to lighten it up by replacing the chassis. Who has the lightest folding stock chassis for the buck spent?
    Thanks

ElFuego

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 1, 2020
    Uh-oh. Here I thought only the bolt/receiver interface was an issue so followed Tikka’s torque spec. Will adjust mine this evening. Has not been fired or even bore-sighted yet.
    Just got this response from GRS: “Try the Tikka recommended first, if this doesn’t give a satisficing accuracy, I would try settings in between 5.2N-m to 7N-m.”

7N-m is the Tikka number and the 5.2N-m is what’s in the GRS manual. So if my groupings are off, I will back off the torque (counterintuitive to me, but I am newby defined)

ElFuego

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 1, 2020
    Just got this response from GRS: “Try the Tikka recommended first, if this doesn’t give a satisficing accuracy, I would try settings in between 5.2N-m to 7N-m.”

7N-m is the Tikka number and the 5.2N-m is what’s in the GRS manual. So if my groupings are off, I will back off the torque (counterintuitive to me, but I am newby defined)
    62 lbs. just seems rather high since the GRS stock has no aluminum bedding, only fiberglass mating up to metal.
    When I get home I am gonna have a look at the CtR stock. I don’t think it had any aluminum in it but I’d don’t remember if I even paid attention. All I did was snug it up and waited for my buddy to bring a torque driver. I finally caved and bought one last week. Now it’s tight but I may be taking it out and reinstalling it.

ElFuego

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 1, 2020
    When I get home I am gonna have a look at the CtR stock. I don’t think it had any aluminum in it but I’d don’t remember if I even paid attention. All I did was snug it up and waited for my buddy to bring a torque driver. I finally caved and bought one last week. Now it’s tight but I may be taking it out and reinstalling it.
    Okay, got home and pulled the original Tikka CTR stock out. It's plastic except for the brass insert anchors for the sling mounts. The receiver mount screws go through plastic only. This is my first centerfire rifle (i have a couple PCCs and a couple rifle caliber pistols (AR 300AAC and Galil X39)) so am fresh from the turnip truck. I don't know how torque affects repeatability. I understand how barrel deflection and harmonics can impact it. Can a higher torque rating cause problems if it is at the receiver's recommended setting? I did not use Loctite because I believe the lubricating affect of loctite means you must decrease the torque or risk bolt/thread damage. I won't be shooting this weekend and don't mind taking it apart to correct any errors. Fresh, unfired Tikka CTR 6.5CM 24" in a GRS Bifrost, torqued to Tikka's specified ~62in-lb. GRS specifies 46in-lb (thanks for that tidbit @GrumpyOleFart). Pic for attention.1616795415375.png