• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

Is the Anarchy Outdoors knob a comparable replacement for the Sterk knob? Anybody have both and willing to share your thoughts? I’m gonna need one or the other pretty soon…

AO used to carry the Sterk swept bolt handle.

I just did a search on their site for “Sterk” and got zero hits for any actual Sterk products. I think their handle/knob has replaced it at this point.

If the AO handle/knob is good, I’ll probably have to go with that. I wish the stainless version was brushed/matte vs polished as mine is going on a stainless T3 Super Varmint, but I guess black will have to do (that’s what I’d get with a Sterk anyway lol).

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I am going to have a couple barrels made up for my Tikkas. Should I have the barrel make the chamber end cut at 1.110? Is that the factory size?

I just did a search on their site for “Sterk” and got zero hits for any actual Sterk products. I think their handle/knob has replaced it at this point.

If the AO handle/knob is good, I’ll probably have to go with that. I wish the stainless version was brushed/matte vs polished as mine is going on a stainless T3 Super Varmint, but I guess black will have to do (that’s what I’d get with a Sterk anyway lol).
If I may ask, what is the advantage of using a different knob?

Better position to work the action faster, better feel in the hand, personal preference for looks. I’m not sure it would make a whole heap of difference on the clock but of all the rifles I’ve ever owned, my AI felt the best. I do not currently live on an AI budget, but that AI bolt knob feel is within my budget so I’m gonna go for it lol.

Is the Anarchy Outdoors knob a comparable replacement for the Sterk knob? Anybody have both and willing to share your thoughts? I’m gonna need one or the other pretty soon…
I have had both for a T1x and 3 for a T3x (glades also)
T1x I kept the sterk. It was perfect.
T3x I preferred the glades and anarchy. The sterk ran into my knuckles.

Bolt knobs are pretty much personal preference. So far, I've been happy with round balls. Perhaps I'm just used to them. There might be practical reasons to use something really grippy.

20220730_133859.jpg

To illustrate @Basher point.

Sterk swept handle, Sterk titanium shroud, modified anarchy outdoors titanium knob, Murphy precision titanium rail. One day I will anodize the titanium some color.
Titanium-Anodization-Chart-copy-2-scaled (2).jpg

It’s been a long time since I upgraded my tikka to a sterk handle but I’m pretty sure the sterk is longer than the factory providing more leverage and making the bolt lift feel lighter. The bigger ball and the placement is also easier to find when running the bolt on the clock and provides a larger surface to hold onto.

I feel it is a worthwhile upgrade.

It’s been a long time since I upgraded my tikka to a sterk handle but I’m pretty sure the sterk is longer than the factory providing more leverage and making the bolt lift feel lighter. The bigger ball and the placement is also easier to find when running the bolt on the clock and provides a larger surface to hold onto.

I feel it is a worthwhile upgrade.
It may be. I liken it to a gearshift though. I grew up driving stick shifts, and the sportier, quicker, more responsive shifters were very short. Work horse shifters were longer. It’s likely a more personal subjective thing with the sterk vs original. I love the Tikka action, how it feels… smooth and sweet. I just love it as is lol.

Reactions: Baron85
I can say it looks cool. Not sure about a functional benefit though.
Here's the thread @Dobermann mentioned.

Having used the swept handles for a few years on my Tikkas I'd never want to go back to the standard Tikka handle. The sweep puts it in a much better position and the added leverage makes cycling the bolt quick and effortless.

Here's the thread @Dobermann mentioned.

Having used the swept handles for a few years on my Tikkas I'd never want to go back to the standard Tikka handle. The sweep puts it in a much better position and the added leverage makes cycling the bolt quick and effortless.

Thanks for the info. I see the sterk is not available nor are other sterk versions. Almost as if not producing any more. Was considering trying it, but I think I will stick with the original which I am happy with. I really am not terribly interested in increasing the rapidity of working the bolt. I will make modifications to improve accuracy and precision.

Found a new load for my Tikka CTR.
It's about 0.68 MOA @ 100m.

And I think I can get this groups a bit tighter.

Attachments

• PXL_20240403_171301603.jpg
    PXL_20240403_171301603.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20240403_171335063.jpg
    PXL_20240403_171335063.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 32
  • PXL_20240403_171349191.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240403_171349191.MP.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 35
  • PXL_20240403_171408700.jpg
    PXL_20240403_171408700.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20240403_171908425.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240403_171908425.MP.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20240403_171914240.jpg
    PXL_20240403_171914240.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Bbracken667

Three shot groups won’t tell you anything. See the dispersion pattern I upload. Any three shots groups are possible. This is at a longer range. Dispersion patterns are real. Statistical analysis clearly suggests that a sample size of 3 (or 5) is way too small.

Attachments

• IMG_9158.jpeg
    IMG_9158.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 21
Three shot groups won’t tell you anything. See the dispersion pattern I upload. Any three shots groups are possible. This is at a longer range. Dispersion patterns are real. Statistical analysis clearly suggests that a sample size of 3 (or 5) is way too small.
Those were both 5 shot groups ;-)

Those were both 5 shot groups ;-)
Note where I said 3 or 5. The lesson of the shot dispersion is still relevant. You can’t exactly poll 5 people to determine who will be elected president, now can you?
Can you repeat the exact same charge numbers? If you do, they won’t line up as these did. You will get all new results. A different charge will give you best results.

TR, just go out and repeat those loads and see if your results are the same, then take them out to distance and see how they do. If they stay tight, well, you will know, if they don't, back to the drawing board.

Reactions: TangoRomeo7688

That rifle is shooting like a machine, there is no need to go to 10 or more shot groups when y have a page of groups like that unless you feel like it

Note where I said 3 or 5. The lesson of the shot dispersion is still relevant. You can’t exactly poll 5 people to determine who will be elected president, now can you?
Can you repeat the exact same charge numbers? If you do, they won’t line up as these did. You will get all new results. A different charge will give you best results.
Don't worry. Those 5 shots group we're just to see if anything more or less useful is within this load range.

I will do some more loads and test If a 20 shot group will still be this good. So was my last round I used the Last 4 years. 20 shots 100m, repeatable over 4 years, with same brass, some cases loaded 8 times, 5 charges of bullets and 3 charges of powder.

Picture below shows 20 shot group @100m

Attachments

• IMG-20200229-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20200229-WA0005.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 30
That rifle is shooting like a machine, there is no need to go to 10 or more shot groups when y have a page of groups like that unless you feel like it
Yeah, that's true. This CTR shoots like hell. All other load examples yesterday we're within 0.9-2.1 MOA

Everything from 42.8 to 44.2 grains would bei usable for hunting purpose. That's good to know, even more that the range where POI was about the same.

For target Shooting 43,2 + 43,4 are my actual favorites. More testing and fine tuning pending.

Don't worry. Those 5 shots group we're just to see if anything more or less useful is within this load range.

I will do some more loads and test If a 20 shot group will still be this good. So was my last round I used the Last 4 years. 20 shots 100m, repeatable over 4 years, with same brass, some cases loaded 8 times, 5 charges of bullets and 3 charges of powder.

Picture below shows 20 shot group @100m
Needs to be 30 rounds or it's statistically irrelevant.
Chances are you fire another 10 rounds in the group and it opens up to a foot easily.

lol this is the person everyone hates

Reactions: aprocast
Yep, asshole posting from his mother’s basement jealous of others success
You must be talking about yourself. I have enjoyed a great career and have retired. My youngest daughter has a PHD and her own practice. Cant be doing too badly, eh?
It’s not my fault you and some others do not understand the very basic rules of statistical analysis.
Then there is that other rule: if you can’t debate a subject intelligently you must resort solely to insults.
Have a great day. 👍

Reactions: UTB
Guys, calm down. Everything ist alright. He has some points with the statistics.

But m use of the rifle is target shooting @100 and @300 metres. And hunting out to 150metres. No longrange experience until now, so yes, I do have to try those loads at distance.

Meh, this debate about how many points makes a viable load is just background noise.

In the end, believe the target. You can do it without shooting out your barrel.

Meh, this debate about how many points makes a viable load is just background noise.

In the end, believe the target. You can do it without shooting out your barrel.
In the end, physics, chemistry and math is where truth lies, not voodoo science.
If you increase charge by .2 grains, you will get .2/original charge more pressure, essentially. It is linear. The only time it is not linear is when insufficient sample size is employed. The only variable, and I have not seen proof, but it seems logical, is in the harmonics. And you won’t get a verifiable result of that from 5 shots, or 10 shots.
Everyone who shoots knows about dispersion. Applying that knowledge is a matter of logic and statistical analysis.
Pardon me for stating the obvious. Sometimes it just needs saying.

Reactions: Johnerz
Whatever makes you feel confident in your rifle's ability to produce desired results.

You can test recipes and find one without shooting hundreds of rounds in the process.

Whatever makes you feel confident in your rifle's ability to produce desired results.

You can test recipes and find one without shooting hundreds of rounds in the process.
Exactly. Use good components, good techniques, and you don’t have to “load develop”
Just pick a safe charge and roll.

Reactions: 37L1
Soooo… how ‘bout them Tikkas, eh boys?? :ROFLMAO:

To get us back on track, I recently came into a T3 Super Varmint (currently enroute to my FFL). I was entirely unaware they made an SV in the T3, so I initially didn’t believe the guy, but after some snooping, they sure did. It’s basically a Varmint in stainless with a rail and better stock as the T3 variant didn’t come with the 2-stage trigger or threaded barrel (unfortunately), but I got an OK deal on it overall so I’m pretty excited. Just need a Sterk/AO bolt handle and knob and I’ll be good to go (already have optics and a Bravo). I’ll post photos once it arrives.

Reactions: Gogga

To get us back on track, I recently came into a T3 Super Varmint (currently enroute to my FFL). I was entirely unaware they made an SV in the T3, so I initially didn’t believe the guy, but after some snooping, they sure did. It’s basically a Varmint in stainless with a rail and better stock as the T3 variant didn’t come with the 2-stage trigger or threaded barrel (unfortunately), but I got an OK deal on it overall so I’m pretty excited. Just need a Sterk/AO bolt handle and knob and I’ll be good to go (already have optics and a Bravo). I’ll post photos once it arrives.
Never heard of them, the SV. I have a T3X that I adore. Love the feel, love the precision. I scoped the barrel before the first shot and was highly impressed with the smooth perfection inside the bore. For me there is nothing not to like. I wish a heavier barrel would have been available, but hey! You cant hav everything. Where would you put it? 🤣

Reactions: Basher

Sterk has been off radar for a bit. If anybody hears anything different make it known.

I emailed him today. Will see if I get anything back.
Got response.
Summarizing.

Not gone. Busy with understaffed day job. Sterk business is one man operation. Difficult banks as well. Working on shop/store orders currently. Sent me pic of proof that I can't share with TONS of parts.
EO coming soonish. Looks like it might be a good time to backorder.

Got response.
Summarizing.

Not gone. Busy with understaffed day job. Sterk business is one man operation. Difficult banks as well. Working on shop/store orders currently. Sent me pic of proof that I can't share with TONS of parts.
EO coming soonish. Looks like it might be a good time to backorder.

Thou art the man!

Reactions: LeftyJason
View attachment 8389911
I’ll probably have another one here soon. 😖

Left and middle are untouched TacA1 6.5cm and .308w. The right is a plain Jane T3x action and trigger(yo dave spring) in 6.5cm. Nothing else is factory on it. Carbon barrel is cerakoted.
What colour is the middle one? I do like the look of that, must be worth at least another 100fps 😉