• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

Just got my coyote gun finished up. Stainless .223 lite cut to 16" was right under 6lbs unloaded.

Can is a Deadair Sandman-L
Optic Flir PTS233

MDOVF78.jpg

Im thinking about switching from Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor factory ammo to Berger factory, which i think is small rifle primer. Is anyone having issues out of a factory Tikka bolt with shooting SRPs with a large pin?

All I run in my 3 Tikkas are small rifle primers. 6.5 Creed, 223, and 22BR. No issues at all.

Reactions: kabarNC
Had a decent day at the Spearpoint Ranch PRS qualifier on Saturday. Ended up 11th and realized that I need to true my BC on the 88gr ELDM past 1000 yards. Made one impact past 1000, but I was low on the first shot. I was able to spot that miss and all but one miss at the 1300 and 1400 yard targets. I was .6-.8 mil low at 1400. Cleaned 2 stages, but there were at least 3 more that were cleanable. Just more to work on for the next match.

The 22BR runs great out of the MDT 12 round mags (@MDT_Josh) with the Primal Rights kits. Really like the Sterk bolt handle (@cannoncrossfire) and the adjustable bolt stop from High Velocity Hunting. The KRG X-Ray is really comfortable, I like the thumbshelf on both sides as there always seems to be a weak side stage. @Massoud

Attachments

• 5-5-19 064.jpg
    5-5-19 064.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 134
  • 5-5-19 059.jpg
    5-5-19 059.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Used 308 barrel purchased here on my action. Fed GMM 175 under 1/2in routinely, .75 if I’m having a bad day. 2550fps, slow but accurate and precise. My 175 handload at 2660

Used 308 barrel purchased here on my action. Fed GMM 175 under 1/2in routinely, .75 if I’m having a bad day. 2550fps, slow but accurate and precise. My 175 handload at 2660

I wonder if the 168 grainers group tighter with the 1:11 twist rate?

Has anyone tried out a Boyds At-One stock for the Tikka T3X CTR? It also has an Kick EEZE recoil pad that can be added, and seems like an inexpensive upgrade from my CTR stock. They also said that bedding isn't required. I also don't have to swap to AICS mags which is nice.

Regarding factory ammo, on my .308 20", I'm shooting PPU 168gr (~70c a round) sub moa @ 100 yds consistently. I'm not a great shooter so I don't know how well it can go. Consistent groups from 0.6 to 0.9 inches @ 100 yds. 200 yds, with my 15x scope, I've been consistent @ around 1.5 to 2.25 inches.

Anybody with experience willing to comment on choosing 155 gr SMK or 168 gr SMK for a Factory Tikka .308 barrel?

The difference in BC is relatively small compared to the difference in weight. This favors the lighter bullet. I'm thinking, however, that the 168 gr bullet will do better in the factory twist rate.

This girl HAMMERS steel in the desert!!! This little "Lite" barrel and my 7mm RemMag 168 Matchking load (2830 FPS) went 3/4 at my 50% IPSC at 905 with some shifty winds and bad boiling mirage. My buddy with his 300WM on the right. We "accidentally" shot almost simultaneously at the 905 once..

BOOMBOOM... DINGDING. Totally unplanned but fully awesomeness.

IMG_20190503_1716552.jpg

IMG_20190503_1202353.jpg

I found a friend too

IMG_20190503_1154192.jpg

Reactions: 260284
If y’all were to start a tikka build right now/soon how would you go about procuring an action?

Best deals I’ve seen have been on weird mismatch stuff after hunting season, I can likely wait but just trying to figure out where to watch/be ready when something pops up.

If y’all were to start a tikka build right now/soon how would you go about procuring an action?

Best deals I’ve seen have been on weird mismatch stuff after hunting season, I can likely wait but just trying to figure out where to watch/be ready when something pops up.

Buy a CTR, Get stock of choice, shoot the barrel out.

20180902_155755-jpg.6951891

5 Shots

20181001_182000-jpg.6951890

Buy a CTR, Get stock of choice, shoot the barrel out.

20180902_155755-jpg.6951891

Are you happy with the Raptor stock?
Is it stable?

I´m thorn between the Predator and the Raptor stock.

Would love to go with the Raptor stock for less weight, but am not sure if it is sturdy / stable enough.

What are your thoughts about it?

Just got a killer price on a 7mm 28" 1:8 M24 Proof stainless for my 7mm RemMag T3x.... Gotta shoot these Alco 7mm 168's out of my Atlas Development Group brass.
IMG_20190507_1452494~2.jpg

As far as chambering goes.... I'll probably stick with 7mmRM. There's a thread on SH about a 300PRC necked down to do 7mm. That looks delicious, but that would involve custom dies or other shenaniganry I just don't want right now... I'll stick with my Lee reloading setup ?????

Is it stable?

Would love to go with the Raptor stock for less weight, but am not sure if it is sturdy / stable enough.

I have no complaints on Stability, though I shoot 140gr 6.5 Creed, soft shooting round. If it was a magnum, I'd go with the thicker stock. I haven't found the right action screw torque numbers yet, GGS didn't have one, the 65 per factory seems a bit high for this stock. I keep incrementing it up, 45lb currently, getting pretty close to the screws staying tight after a session.

Just bought another CTR and fixing to put it in a McRees G10 chassis. Do any of you know the proper torque for the chassis screws off hand?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 92
Just bought another CTR and fixing to put it in a McRees G10 chassis. Do any of you know the proper torque for the chassis screws off hand?

Thank you!

Just about any stock can be torqued to 65 in./lbs. and work flawlessly.

Took my Tikka out of the Tac A1 chassis today in preparation of the Whiskey 3 arriving today. Just for fun, I took a wrench to the scope rail and started breaking the screws loose one by one. All came off with very little effort. The scope rail also separated from the receiver with a few light taps of a soft hammer.

What is a complete Left Hand Tac A1 chassis worth?

Update when you wring out that McGowen and see how it performs.

I'm eyeballing them in my top 3 choices once I shoot out my Lite barrel.

Tried out a new range after work today, and put 50 rounds of 140 American Gunner through it.

Can't complain for $0.70 a trigger pull, and the fact I was sitting on my left foot cuz the seats at the benches are super low. Considering how not that great I am, that barrel's doing pretty damn good.

First round was about 2" high and 1" left from my old zero, pretty impressive for changing both barrel and caliber, I was expecting to need to do a lot more adjusting.

Tried out a new range after work today, and put 50 rounds of 140 American Gunner through it.
View attachment 7075059View attachment 7075062View attachment 7075064

Can't complain for $0.70 a trigger pull, and the fact I was sitting on my left foot cuz the seats at the benches are super low. Considering how not that great I am, that barrel's doing pretty damn good.

First round was about 2" high and 1" left from my old zero, pretty impressive for changing both barrel and caliber, I was expecting to need to do a lot more adjusting.

Thanks for the update! I just ordered a 28" Proof Research M24 Profile that's unchambered. It was a killer price and I couldn't pass it up. Gonna be sweeeeeeeet

Reactions: Lunchbox27
Considering how not that great I am, that barrel's doing pretty damn good.

I've sat on my foot, an ammo can, blocks of wood, wooden platform, etc.; being uncomfortable - all because I'm too short. I finally bought a Gibraltar Drummer Throne

About $90, not cheap but you can't shoot worth a damn if you can't get comfortable.

Reactions: fxdrider
Thanks for the update! I just ordered a 28" Proof Research M24 Profile that's unchambered. It was a killer price and I couldn't pass it up. Gonna be sweeeeeeeet

My Proof M24 Stainless is a straight hammer! You will not be disappointed!

Pulled that last shot right. Group would have been under 1/4”. These were shots 4-9. No barrel break in, and 140 American Gunner.

Attachments

• 14C7A35D-7F0A-4D23-9194-5F39F8295141.jpeg
    14C7A35D-7F0A-4D23-9194-5F39F8295141.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 101
  • Love
Reactions: clcustom1911
Finally got my Tikka Tac A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor zeroed. I am only a month or two behind the scope but I appreciate all the info I have received on this forum. Rifle makes me look way better than I am.

The top two are five shots using Hornady Black 140 gr and the bottom is Hornady 140 gr eld match.

I ordered a KRG Bravo Chassis for my CTR last week, now I need AICS pattern magazines.
What mags work best with the T3/ Bravo combo ?

Why hasn't anyone introduced a "shorty" CTR magazine?

I'm assuming this is a business decision, and the development/production would result in a mag that cost more than the current factory CTR magazine.

I can't be the only one who would dig a 3 or 5 round CTR mag that was nearly flush with the bottom of the stock...

Use the factory 10 for the bench, and a shorty for hunting.

Can anyone tell me the barrel specs/profile for the tikka tac a1 6.5 CM? I know it’s a 24” / 1-8Twist but don’t know the profile description. I am close to buying a replacement. I’m thinking Christian Arms Composite at this time

Is it stable?

I have the Raptor, the Predator, and the Ranger. @ruebarb stock is the Ranger, it is about 2.4-2.5 lbs, the Predator is 3.5 lbs, and the Raptor is heavier. For a lighter hunting rifle, the Ranger would be my first choice. For a PRS build, the Raptor. I have used my Predator for hunting and PRS matches with a factory CTR and with a heavier medium palma barrel. They are all very solid. I would like to see a Raptor with a longer flatter forend so it would be easier to put an ARCA rail on it. We are looking at drilling out the buttstock on our Raptor and adding weight so my son can run a 26" heavy palma barrel and get better balance.

Just got a killer price on a 7mm 28" 1:8 M24 Proof stainless for my 7mm RemMag T3x.... Gotta shoot these Alco 7mm 168's out of my Atlas Development Group brass. View attachment 7074371

As far as chambering goes.... I'll probably stick with 7mmRM. There's a thread on SH about a 300PRC necked down to do 7mm. That looks delicious, but that would involve custom dies or other shenaniganry I just don't want right now... I'll stick with my Lee reloading setup ?????

Look at the 7mm SAW. That is going to be my lightweight hunting rifle build and the brass is easy to make. There is a thread on it here. 160 class bullets at 2850-2900+ fps out of a mag fed Tikka action.

Reactions: Simia Dei
I have no complaints on Stability, though I shoot 140gr 6.5 Creed, soft shooting round. If it was a magnum, I'd go with the thicker stock. I haven't found the right action screw torque numbers yet, GGS didn't have one, the 65 per factory seems a bit high for this stock. I keep incrementing it up, 45lb currently, getting pretty close to the screws staying tight after a session.

I torque all my GGS stocks at 50 inch lbs and have had consistent results. Same with my KRG X-Ray.

Reactions: ruebarb
Can anyone tell me the barrel specs/profile for the tikka tac a1 6.5 CM? I know it’s a 24” / 1-8Twist but don’t know the profile description. I am close to buying a replacement. I’m thinking Christian Arms Composite at this time

They are the same as the CTR. The closest standard profile is a light palma. I have seen someone offer a Tikka CTR profile though, just do not remember where.