• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

I have few very good reload tips for you, if you are going to use Lapua bullets and Vihtavuori powders ;)

Thanks. I worked up a .260 load which I’ve used for my AR10 I built a couple of years ago, and have taken it to the outer perimeter at Pala just fine. It consists of Lapua brass, Nosler Custom Competition 147gr projectiles and IMR 4350 powder.

Once I get the rifle I’ll probably look to develop a new load, as I’m sure the current combination isn’t the absolute best and I’d be open to suggestions... thanks!

Reactions: viking78
Does anyone have a rundown of which aftermarket stocks/chassis take CTR mags. I’m pretty sure that McMillan and McCrees and then I know that Manners and KRG have both discussed/working on the option. Any others? Really trying to upgrade my stock but also don’t want to move to AICS mags. CTR mag fits my needs just fine.

Does anyone have a rundown of which aftermarket stocks/chassis take CTR mags. I’m pretty sure that McMillan and McCrees and then I know that Manners and KRG have both discussed/working on the option. Any others? Really trying to upgrade my stock but also don’t want to move to AICS mags. CTR mag fits my needs just fine.

Manners does and eurooptic has a good deal right now.

German Gun Stock.
Three versions: Raptor, Ranger and Predator.
They are inletted for either the standard T3 inlet or the CTR inlet if you have a spare CTR BM and thus use the CTR mags.
You can also get the Mountain Tactical or Atlas Works CTR inlet BM for AICS mags down the track if you want to change the mags over without changing the stock. PFM!

Attachments

• B9886FFC-DDC2-48B3-8693-B04FE31CF238.jpeg
    B9886FFC-DDC2-48B3-8693-B04FE31CF238.jpeg
    734.2 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: 260284 and Tunnuh
I’m not sure? I saw somebody mention them in a thread recently and I hit up their site and saw it’s true...

Manners does and eurooptic has a good deal right now.

Unfortunately that will require a different DBM apparently. I was talking to a Manners rep today as I was tired of waiting on the CTR Mini Chassis (14 months later). He indicated that none of their stocks take the factory DBM, which as far as I can tell is the only thing that allows for the CTR mags, which I prefer to keep.

Unfortunately that will require a different DBM apparently. I was talking to a Manners rep today as I was tired of waiting on the CTR Mini Chassis (14 months later). He indicated that none of their stocks take the factory DBM, which as far as I can tell is the only thing that allows for the CTR mags, which I prefer to keep.
Your manners rep is wrong. Hate to say that but it true. That manners T4a drop in stock sold by euro optic takes the factory bottom metal and uses factory CTR mag. I know cause I have one

German Gun Stock.
Three versions: Raptor, Ranger and Predator.
They are inletted for either the standard T3 inlet or the CTR inlet if you have a spare CTR BM and thus use the CTR mags.
You can also get the Mountain Tactical or Atlas Works CTR inlet BM for AICS mags down the track if you want to change the mags over without changing the stock. PFM!

First picture is a CTR in a GGS Predator with factory bottom metal. Second is a T3 270 in a Ranger with the factory bottom plastic. Third is a 223 Varmint in a Ranger with Mountain Tactical CTR bottom metal for AICS mags. The last picture shows the aluminum bedding insert with the stainless steel recoil lug. They also make a Raptor version that I will have pictures of in a week or so.

Attachments

• Thanksgiving 2017 085.JPG
    Thanksgiving 2017 085.JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 1-3-19 053.jpg
    1-3-19 053.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 152
  • 1-29-19 028.jpg
    1-29-19 028.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 10-6-17 004.JPG
    10-6-17 004.JPG
    417.9 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: Simia Dei
Your manners rep is wrong. Hate to say that but it true. That manners T4a drop in stock sold by euro optic takes the factory bottom metal and uses factory CTR mag. I know cause I have one
I have one also and can confirm that NAS78 is right. I just moved over the bottom metal and mag from my factory CTR and the Manners T4a ran like a champ. Looks and feel awesome. Wish I had done it when I got the rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tunnuh

Call eurooptic or message @jb1000br . They have them inletted for the CTR, plus there's two members who confirmed what I posted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lunchbox27
While the wait sucks, it will be worth it.

Yup. It's my first Tikka. The action is so damn smooth when I fondled it the other day. Different world compared to an off the shelf Remington. My other bolt gun is an RPR, so it spoiled me on the shorter throw action. When I found out Tikka had a 75 degree throw, it was a no brainer.

Once I shoot our the barrel, a PVA prefit is definitely gonna happen.

Yup. It's my first Tikka. The action is so damn smooth when I fondled it the other day. Different world compared to an off the shelf Remington. My other bolt gun is an RPR, so it spoiled me on the shorter throw action. When I found out Tikka had a 75 degree throw, it was a no brainer.

Once I shoot our the barrel, a PVA prefit is definitely gonna happen.
You better order it now and you will probably still be waiting for it when you need it.

Question, I just installed my new field tactical chassis which is absolutely freaking awesome, I went through and did the instructions exactly as defined and did not see anything about using Loctite on the rail nor the action screws so I left it be. Has anyone done anything different? Are used exact torque specs and went over everything precisely. Also while I had the action out installed a yo Dave trigger spring and am now set at exactly 1 pound trigger pull, is that dangerous?

I put blue loctite on EVERYTHING that may need to be removed at one point or another.

A 1 pound trigger pull is fine as long as it does not fire when you close the bolt or when it's cocked and you slam the rifle down on the butt with a fair bit of force to stimulate it being dropped while you're out hunting.

Should’ve bought a lottery ticket !
Waiting on new6.5 CM barrel from mile high shooting To replace one that I shot out. Needed to use the gun for class so I purchased a used 20 inch 308 CTR barrel here on the hide. Installed it headspace was perfect shoots federal gold medal match at .5’ so I bought some used Lappula brass and 175 smk’s. Today I loaded up 4 rounds each at 43.6, 43.8, and 44 grains of Varget. First four shot group at 43.6, three eights of an inch, 2629 FPS, with an SD of 3.2!! Never fired the other two loads. Loaded up 20more and ran back to the range. Four 5 shot groups between .25 and .6 SD of 5 for the 20 shots.

go figure ....load development is never that easy. Thanks to the hide for the used barrel and brass and giving me a decent place to start load development...

Those of you that are using a McMillan stock, are there any vendors out there to purchase from aside from McMillan's site? They're showing out of stock for an A3 and have been for a while now. I came across StockyStocks but they don't show that they have one available for a CTR either.

Well, my T3 TAC A1 arrived today and I got to unbox and check it out briefly before heading off to bowling tonight. Wasn’t able to put it in jail yet, so the official clock will start tomorrow evening.

I hadn’t had a chance to check one out in person, so I took it on faith based on many threads such as this that this was the rifle I wanted to buy, and I have to say just in the brief time I had to fondle it I know I made the right choice. It felt great just coming out of the box and shouldered very nicely right away.

Can’t wait to get it out of jail, put my scope on it, and give it a go!

Reactions: clcustom1911
Put the lathe to use and put together this 16.5” build together for my Dad for Ohio hunting. 450 Bushmaster. I’m a big fan of Tikka actions.

Attachments

• CBCF1534-9F49-4EA6-9FED-CCD3BB941574.jpeg
    CBCF1534-9F49-4EA6-9FED-CCD3BB941574.jpeg
    458 KB · Views: 216
  • 24DB0C4B-2EF1-4A5E-8496-5D37CDFE05E0.jpeg
    24DB0C4B-2EF1-4A5E-8496-5D37CDFE05E0.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 182
@WVHick that is a sweet rifle you've put together. What stock is that and what maker of the barrel?

Thanks sir. It’s a McMillan Sako Varmint in their carbon fiber fill. Weighed about 27oz.

Barrel was a 45P blank from CarbonSix. I wanted to use Proof but they wouldn’t make me a 45P barrel. I’m impressed with the fit finish of the CarbonSix and it appears every bit as good fit and finish wise as my other Proof.

Anyone have any thoughts regarding the stock brake for the T3x TAC A1? My FFL didn’t believe that it came with one, in spite of my assurances, and he ordered a PA brake for it. I figure I’ll try out the stock brake first and then make my own evaluation, but I’m sure the seasoned collective here have good experience and reasoned opinions on the subject.

For free it's not a bad brake, although it's .308. I chose not to use it as the benches at my range are close together and the blast is disconcerning. If I wanted one I would buy the one from Area 419 Hellfire.

Tikka T3X re-barreled by McGowen Precision Barrels .308 Winchester Match, 1-10" twist, Stainless Steel (Cerakote in Burnt Bronze), Medium Palma Contour, 11 Degree Crown, 26" Long. 5/8"x24 TPI Muzzle & Area 419 Hellfire Muzzle Brake in an MDT LSS chassis. Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30X56 APRS1 FFP IR MIL Scope on a Mountain Tactical 20-MOA Base in a 34mm tube Burris XTR Signature 1.0" Height Rings

Attachments

• Tikka at range.jpg
    Tikka at range.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 161
Tikka CTR with factory barrel cut to 16.5
Thunderbeast cb7
130 gr hornady ELDM, RL16 shooting 2616fps.
Took it out the 1000 and back and vx5 was great but not going to be serious dialing as this will be a suppressed hunting rifle but good to know it’s capable!

Attachments

• 5FB997C4-F87F-4C31-9810-747CB86691E1.jpeg
    5FB997C4-F87F-4C31-9810-747CB86691E1.jpeg
    742 KB · Views: 184
  • 99B5ECAB-504E-4348-B652-89312E9F15F5.jpeg
    99B5ECAB-504E-4348-B652-89312E9F15F5.jpeg
    733.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Reactions: Black Bart
So I bought a masterforce barrel vise and a wheeler action wrench for my factory tikka barrel change. I tried using a business card against the barrel, then the cow hide that came with the vise. The barrel would slip. I got rid of the card and cow hide and wrapped the barrel with a wrap of 1/8th inch lead sheet. I couldn't break it loose. I used an electric heat gun on the threaded end of the receiver for about 20 seconds and it came right off with hardly any effort. I torqued my new 7mm rem mag carbon 6 barrel on and am ready for a range test. It's going in a superlite t3x stock with a mountain tactical long action Aics bottom metal. Going to run 180 bergers as long as magazine and lands allow. I am hoping for an accuracy node approaching 3000 fps using h1000 or rl26.

Took the 6Creed out over the weekend to get it ready for the Mayhem national match here in Utah this upcoming weekend. The thing is a shooter with the 112Gr Barnes Match Burners. I also upgraded to a Sphur mount, I had ARC rings on it before but I noticed the hinge pins were walking out under recoil so I figured it was time.

56887085_671146933320767_2268503109003116544_o.jpg

56247858_671146363320824_6632746973357146112_n.jpg

1554492897528 (1).jpg

1553906882376.jpg

Took the 6Creed out over the weekend to get it ready for the Mayhem national match here in Utah this upcoming weekend. The thing is a shooter with the 112Gr Barnes Match Burners. I also upgraded to a Sphur mount, I had ARC rings on it before but I noticed the hinge pins were walking out under recoil so I figured it was time.

View attachment 7057296

View attachment 7057297

View attachment 7057298

View attachment 7057299

Looking good. Which sphur do you have? And where did you get that arca 2 rail?

Guys, hopefully you can help me. I have a Tikka T3X CTR bedded into a Manners T6A stock using the stock bottom metal. I have three Tikka 10rd mags, and all three when loaded to ten rounds, fail to see into the bottom metal. This has been an issue that has plagued me for the back half of last season, and now with my first match approaching I'm hoping to find a fix.

If I load eight rounds, the mags seat just fine, but 9-10 and I have issues. Thoughts on how I can fix this issue?

Here's a pic of the rifle with how it's set up.

8GiRH2.jpg

Last edited:
Easier said than done but the best way to put the factory mag issues behind you is to swap out the CTR bottom metal to any one of Mountain Tactical, RedSnake, or CDi bottom metals and run AICS mags...

Reactions: phlegethon
Easier said than done but the best way to put the factory mag issues behind you is to swap out the CTR bottom metal to any one of Mountain Tactical, RedSnake, or CDi bottom metals and run AICS mags...

Based on Mountain Tactical's website, they no longer make the bottom metal that uses the CTR inlet, and I have reached out to RedSnake to see if there bottom metal will as well. I forgot to mention in my original post that it's a T3X CTR. I'm not sure if CDI would be able to adjust the stock since it's already inlet for a stock CTR bottom metal, I'll reach out to them. Thanks again for your suggestions.

FYI the other bottom metals will work with the CTR inlet as well, however there would be a slight gap on either side of the bottom metal (CTR is a tad wider). They will all work with your stock though.

That being said, the Atlasworx is a good piece of kit.

Reactions: stereo.pete
Do you still have seating issues if your bolt is all the way back?

Generally speaking, the CTR mag is tough to insert even in the factory stock when it's packed full. That spring is serious business. But if you put some force behind it, it locks right in.

Couple questions:

1) What is the dimension from the center of the bore to the top of the receiver on the T3X action?
2) What is the height dimension of the factory CTR scope picatinny rail?

Do you still have seating issues if your bolt is all the way back?

Generally speaking, the CTR mag is tough to insert even in the factory stock when it's packed full. That spring is serious business. But if you put some force behind it, it locks right in.

Yes, even with the bolt fully back as in waiting to begin a PRS stage, it's darn near impossible to get a mag to seat unless I'm hammering it in. Even then, sometimes it will pop out after the first round is fired.

Red from Redsnake Tactical mentioned a possible fix that I will have to look into. He said the inlet in the Manner's might be slightly too deep, which is preventing the magazine catch from fully engaging. I'm going to look into this and see if I can fix said issue.

I'm also looking seriously at the Atlasworx bottom metal, but honestly if the inlet is too deep, I might have the same issue with an AICS mag.

Yes, even with the bolt fully back as in waiting to begin a PRS stage, it's darn near impossible to get a mag to seat unless I'm hammering it in. Even then, sometimes it will pop out after the first round is fired.

Red from Redsnake Tactical mentioned a possible fix that I will have to look into. He said the inlet in the Manner's might be slightly too deep, which is preventing the magazine catch from fully engaging. I'm going to look into this and see if I can fix said issue.

I'm also looking seriously at the Atlasworx bottom metal, but honestly if the inlet is too deep, I might have the same issue with an AICS mag.

I had a similar thing happen with my T6A except the magazine would not seat empty or full and it was due to the inlet being too deep. I went to home depot and got a few washers to shim between the bottom of the stock and the dbm and it fixed it. That suggestion came from another member here in the thread.

Reactions: stereo.pete