• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

If you want a carbon barrel they need to make it that way from the initial production before they wrap it also.

I have seen a couple guys ask the gunsmith to add a chamfered edge to their barrel so it doesnt look as weird, but it wouldnt be my preferred choice with so many different offerings from barrel makers for Tikkas.

This is how it looks with preferred barrel dimensions

Attachments

• 20201025_220219.jpg
    20201025_220219.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: 260284
I went ahead and bought an in stock Bartlein from Area 419. I was honestly surprised they had one in stock. Got a .264, 7.5 twist, marksman contour, chambered for 6.5CM, with hellfire muzzle brake installed. Trying to have them do as much work there so I can just install it when it arrives, hopefully.

Reactions: reubenski
T3X UPR stock, is it ambidextrous ? My wife shoots right handed, I shoot left handed, but prefer a right bolt.
2 days later, Looked at some u tube video's , the "cheek weld" adjustment screw does not go through the stock, so it could be switched from Rt to Lt. Looks like something like 6MM Tim has might be an answer

Last edited:
One more thing - In my opinion - Tikka should kill the UPR name and just call it the CTR Mod2 . Its clearly just a CTR in a better stock. And drop the CTR all together.

Also offer the T3X action and trigger as a builders kit in choices of 0 or 20moa scope bases. They would sell like hotcakes...

TP...
Just remember what P.T. Barnum said.

T3X UPR stock, is it ambidextrous ? My wife shoots right handed, I shoot left handed, but prefer a right bolt.
2 days later, Looked at some u tube video's , the "cheek weld" adjustment screw does not go through the stock, so it could be switched from Rt to Lt. Looks like something like 6MM Tim has might be an answer

It’s a shame Tikka provides such a minuscule amount of information about their guns on their website. Glad we have all the knowledge on this forum to fill in the gaps...

I went ahead and bought an in stock Bartlein from Area 419. I was honestly surprised they had one in stock. Got a .264, 7.5 twist, marksman contour, chambered for 6.5CM, with hellfire muzzle brake installed. Trying to have them do as much work there so I can just install it when it arrives, hopefully.
So after inquiring with Area 419, they said they don't do work with Tikkas. So I canceled the order :(

So after inquiring with Area 419, they said they don't do work with Tikkas. So I canceled the order :(
I bought a pic rail from them for mine and think its the bees knees. Hopefully someday they will start working on the business end of Tikkas too.

Proof makes ss prefits and cf also. I think straight jacket armory might make ss prefits. Bartlein will make one for you directly but would need your action to chamber it if you wanted.

Yeah. I've asked Bartlein directly so I may go that route when I want to throw a new barrel on it. Sort of jumping the gun, I haven't even shot the rifle since I bought it.

Has anyone tried any of the recent B&C Tikka stocks? Considering ordering the sporter for a hunting rifle, curious about the quality of it and especially the alum bedding block.

Has anyone tried any of the recent B&C Tikka stocks? Considering ordering the sporter for a hunting rifle, curious about the quality of it and especially the alum bedding block.
I had the M40ish stock on a T3 270. Felt better than the original stock, more rigid, gave me more confidence. Accuracy was probably the same. Maybe an almost unnoticeable amount better with my loads. I'd do it again.
Really wish they did the same stock cut for the CTR's.

^Interesting on no significant change in accuracy. If I thought that was likely to be the case with the sporter, I wouldn't bother ordering since I already like the factory stock pretty well and it's sub-MOA (barely) until it heats up. Also the sporter is a little heavier, assume b/c of the bedding block, and I'd only want to pay the weight tax if I'm getting something like better accuracy as a trade-off.

I have Tikkas in both Manners and McMillan no noticeable accuracy difference, however stock fit was a little better on McMillan and lighter on the Manners.

I have Tikkas in both Manners and McMillan no noticeable accuracy difference, however stock fit was a little better on McMillan and lighter on the Manners.

Good info as well. Were these sporter versions of the Tikka stock? If accuracy was about the same, did the stock upgrade feel worth it given the other benefits you got with the Manners or the McMillan?

Sporters, toss up. I also had a T4 with a ctr the whole idea on that was to add weight for my neice, it almost worked. : )

Looking at doing a Tikka build. When choosing a rifle in the T3X line does is the action the same from model to model? Trying to figure out what is the best base model to build off of. Thanks

Reactions: LeftyJason
Looking at doing a Tikka build. When choosing a rifle in the T3X line does is the action the same from model to model? Trying to figure out what is the best base model to build off of. Thanks

I believe a T3X is a T3X. I know my friend that did a build used literally the base model T3X compact.

And magazine, too. What caliber is your friend looking to shoot ?
Magazine doesn't matter for the action. That is more of a factor of bottom metal/ stock/ chassis. Anything can be changed to anything else.

You can take a lite and stick it in a CTR stock with ctr bottom metal and it works. Or take a CTR or tac a1 and stick it in a lite stock or AICS chassis and it works.

Magazine doesn't matter for the action. That is more of a factor of bottom metal/ stock/ chassis. Anything can be changed to anything else.

You can take a lite and stick it in a CTR stock with ctr bottom metal and it works. Or take a CTR or tac a1 and stick it in a lite stock or AICS chassis and it works.
You are absolutely right. My point was not well explained. If he is building a saum or 6.5 prc and reloading his own bullets (and plans on keeping the standard stock mags) he is going to want to start with a 7rm or 300wm that can run those calibers longer than mag length and wont have to mess with switching out bolt stop/mags because those will work from the start OR if he is planning a short action caliber and wants to have a 10 rd magazine and wants to keep that capacity and run something like a krg bravo, it will benefit him to start with a CTR.
Im just asking to try and help save the guy time and money.

You are absolutely right. My point was not well explained. If he is building a saum or 6.5 prc and reloading his own bullets (and plans on keeping the standard stock mags) he is going to want to start with a 7rm or 300wm that can run those calibers longer than mag length and wont have to mess with switching out bolt stop/mags because those will work from the start OR if he is planning a short action caliber and wants to have a 10 rd magazine and wants to keep that capacity and run something like a krg bravo, it will benefit him to start with a CTR.
Im just asking to try and help save the guy time and money.
This whole thing was why I put together this post a couple years ago.
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tikka-t3-thread.6252615/post-7301418
Yes it is better to start close to what you want but some things are easier to change than others. It's nice to know that from the beginning.

I bought a Desert Tech SRSa1 and was thinking about swapping the barrel on my CTRx to a 6mm. I’m running a KRG chassis and AI mags as well as modified Magpul magazines. Can I use these magazines with a 6BRA or do they need to be modified to work in my rifle?

If you have been running them already and have fed the rounds successfully before it shouldnt be an issue as long as the mags attach and feed to the bolt fine between the two stocks/chassis. Otherwise if your unsure I would check with the companies who make your specific magazines about the bullets you want to shoot.

They are Seekins high rings. Low did not get even close to fitting. Medium-high may work but the highs with vortex defender caps leaves a comfortable but not excessive gap.

Any idea how much you got into that rifle without the scope and rings?

Sorry for the delayed response, work's been nuts lately.

Breakdown of the rifle is:
  • $1,999.00 for the donor rifle for the barrel and action
  • $1,099.95 for the MDT ACC Chassis
  • $49.95 for the MDT Vertical Grip
  • $69.99 for the MDT 20 MOA Picatinny Scope Base
  • $39.95 for the MDT Polymer Magazines
  • $190.05 for the SJC Customs SJC PRS Comp
This is all sans tax.

Future planned items will be:
Glass - No clue where I'm going there thinking TORIC UHD 4.5-30X56 34MM FFP MRAD or the RAZOR® HD GEN II 4.5-27X56 FFP
Upgraded barrel - 28"? 6.5 Creedmoor or possibly go to 6 Creedmoor

Reactions: louu
Just picked up a T3X Stainless in 6.5 CM and besides replacing the bolt handle I am thinking about replacing the stock, what stock would you guys recommend for hunting?

3.9lbs.

Sorry for the delayed response, work's been nuts lately.

Breakdown of the rifle is:
  • $1,999.00 for the donor rifle for the barrel and action
  • $1,099.95 for the MDT ACC Chassis
  • $49.95 for the MDT Vertical Grip
  • $69.99 for the MDT 20 MOA Picatinny Scope Base
  • $39.95 for the MDT Polymer Magazines
  • $190.05 for the SJC Customs SJC PRS Comp
This is all sans tax.

Future planned items will be:
Glass - No clue where I'm going there thinking TORIC UHD 4.5-30X56 34MM FFP MRAD or the RAZOR® HD GEN II 4.5-27X56 FFP
Upgraded barrel - 28"? 6.5 Creedmoor or possibly go to 6 Creedmoor
That's awesome, thanks bud

Reactions: Alex.Jones.SLC
Here is a tikka buying guide 101 condensed from my own research and reading this whole giant thread and other tikka threads. The 2 most important criteria is action options and bolt face (changing that is $400).

T3x action you have 4 options. (note all are same length)
Blued righty
Blued lefty
Stainless righty
Stainless lefty

Bolt face you have 3 options.
308ish
Magnum

Bolt stop length is a part that can be changed.

Barrel options are generally 4 as well
Blued thin (2.5-3ish contour) non thread (9/16 at most possible)
Stainless thin (same) non thread (same)
Blued heavier (light Palma per @bohem ) threaded
Stainless heavier (same) threaded

Trigger you generally have 2 options
Two stage trigger (Tac A1 only AFAIK)
Excellent single stage (all others. Some change out with a $10 trigger spring. Fewer change out to a different trigger. This ain't like Remingtons)

Note from all that I have seen here in this thread the factory barrels all shoot great. Barrels are chf and pretty much same as Sako. Some may be a little slow (per @Lowlight and a few others). Also they may be throated a little long from what I have heard.

Magazines you have 2 options.
CTR pattern 5 or 10 (Tac A1 and CTR only. 10's come with. Extra 10's cost on par with steel aics)
Basic tikka flush fit sized

Note most chassis only fit short action aics only. Somebody somewhere on the hide went through and created the spreadsheet attached. If I remembered who I'd credit.

Magpul aics Do Not work with any tikka without Extensive filing of feed lips which makes them prone to troubles.

Tikkas generally do not need blueprinting work. The general consensus is you could but why waste the money? Aftermarket pre-fit barrels are made by a few different companies.

Pic rail.
CTR and tac a1 come with 0 moa rail. Rail pretty much has to be removed with heat of some sort (clothes iron or blow torch and then scraping off residue.)
Actions come with a dovetail that spuhr (and maybe a few others) makes stuff that fits. 20, 30, and I think 40's are available. (Currently no tac a1 specific slanted rails exist that match fore end.)

Bolt handles are dovetailed in. Swept are available from some. Metal shrouds are available as well. Reviews and pictures are in this thread. Aftermarket are available from
Sterk (@cannoncrossfire )
Glades armory
Anarchy outdoors
Mountain tactical (tikkaperformance.com)

When you are looking at tikka and you are in the USA, make sure you are looking at the en-US site. http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles

It is tempting to look at the other international site http://www.tikka.fi/rifles but they don't import alot of those options.

Aug 2019 edit
Aftermarket trigger options
Yodave spring or similar $10
Krg midas 2 stage trigger top safety $289
Timney 430 2 stage trigger. $248

March 2020 edit. Krg Bravo is now available with ctr mag fit.

Oct 2020 update.
If you want to have an aftermarket 2 stage trigger on a left handed tikka you will need to get a slot milled in the right side for the safety.

Www.Choose.tikka.fi/usa shows lots of great options but per a conversation with the Beretta Dallas flagship store they won't order anything in that ends in MTB. Stupid teasing. The ones that they import start with JRT

Hope this helps. If anybody knows more about other options chime in.
Awesome post, thank you!

Reactions: Alex.Jones.SLC
I gotta get a Tikka T3x....I have 2 friends with Tikka's and the actions are like buttery smooth! My Remington 700 isn't even in the same universe compared to the Tikka

I gotta get a Tikka T3x....I have 2 friends with Tikka's and the actions are like buttery smooth! My Remington 700 isn't even in the same universe compared to the Tikka

This has probably been on my radar for close to 2 years. I have no idea what my hold up is. I guess I keep waiting on the day I am at my local shop and impulse buy it.

Lil coues deer. My t3 17” 6.5cm downs another. Did i mention i love berger bullets? Damn things are grenades on game.

Attachments

• 362CA9AD-8537-482E-B109-F5143630860C.png
    362CA9AD-8537-482E-B109-F5143630860C.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 130