• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3 Thread

I know this has been asked somewhere within the last 194 pages but I was hoping someone could help me out. Currently I have CDI SA bottom metal bedded in my Manners T4 for my T3. I just got a 284 Winchester barrel complete for this action and I am looking for CDI LA bottom metal. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Attachments

• 57BA9131-8261-453C-BFC8-2A778D183242.jpeg
    57BA9131-8261-453C-BFC8-2A778D183242.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: CaptNemo
I know this has been asked somewhere within the last 194 pages but I was hoping someone could help me out. Currently I have CDI SA bottom metal bedded in my Manners T4 for my T3. I just got a 284 Winchester barrel complete for this action and I am looking for CDI LA bottom metal. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
The owner of CDI died a few years ago.

Long time lurker who needs some info. I am putting together a Tikka 223 with a Proof prefit in a GRS Bifrost stock for a CTR. The rifle is a T3 lite not a T3X. I have CTR bottom metal and mag. My understanding that this will not work since the T3 receiver does not have the cutout at the bottom of the receiver. Does anyone have any dimensions they could provide of the cutout?
btw.... Beretta has a sale now $25 off on $100,, $50 off $200 and so on. They have CTR mags in stock@$99 just add some $3 stickers to get the promo

Long time lurker who needs some info. I am putting together a Tikka 223 with a Proof prefit in a GRS Bifrost stock for a CTR. The rifle is a T3 lite not a T3X. I have CTR bottom metal and mag. My understanding that this will not work since the T3 receiver does not have the cutout at the bottom of the receiver. Does anyone have any dimensions they could provide of the cutout?
btw.... Beretta has a sale now $25 off on $100,, $50 off $200 and so on. They have CTR mags in stock@$99 just add some $3 stickers to get the promo
It's only the stock that has a larger cutout for the CTR bottom metal, the receivers are the same on the bottom. The ejection port is slightly larger on the T3x's.

Edit: I'm wrong.

Last edited:
If all the actions comes with a CTR bottom cutout now, that must be a new thing.

Did not come like that for the first couple of years.

Fine let's solve this with pictures. Who has an older original T3 and who has a confirmed T3X? Take the barreled action out and take pictures of the bottom of the action.

Found this pic from @dannySH in a different thread. Standard t3x left and a ctr on the right (guessing t3x ctr).
b8526da42d8c5111aa7a31ec5e24d963.jpg

Last edited:
Fine let's solve this with pictures. Who has an older original T3 and who has a confirmed T3X? Take the barreled action out and take pictures of the bottom of the action.

Found this pic from @dannySH in a different thread. Standard t3x left and a ctr on the right (guessing t3x ctr).
View attachment 7658912

So are these both T3X just one is CTR and one isn't? I'm sure the argument in question is T3 vs T3X.

Here is my olderT3 without the cutout. Just to confuse things a bit, you don't need the cutout for a 223 since the mag is slight;y different. The 223 CTR mag doesn't have the feed lip bump. I got a mag today and it works. Also page 113 shows the difference.
t3 action.jpg

Reactions: Eric_F

View attachment 7658912
I have a T3 CTR and a T3 Lite that was a 270 that I used for a switchbarrel match rifle build. Both actions are the same on the bottom like the two above. The CTR even had the magazine retainer clip on the trigger screw that is used with the plastic single stack magazines.

My recently purchased a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 223 (8"). I am not a fan of the camo stock though.

IMG.jpg

Update from Grayboe, they “weren’t happy in QC with how a rifle bolted into it was feeding. We are re-machining it and hope to get it out by the end of the month.”

this is their first go at a Tikka version of the Phoenix, so I’m glad they’re taking their time and not sending me a pile of shit.
Any updates on the phoenix?
Their 20% off sale is calling my name for my crossover Tikka.

Reactions: YotaEer
Any updates on the phoenix?
Their 20% off sale is calling my name for my crossover Tikka.

i like its features and ergonomics. Haven’t seen any difference in accuracy as compared to a McMillan or Bravo. I’ll order another for my T1x

my only thing is that they recommended 45 in/lb but my rifle feeds better and magazine is more secure with 35 in/lbs

Took the T3x lite/oryx in 308 out to 1080 yards today. Was a good learning experience. Shooting at the 900 yard targets it was practically a laser, if I did my part I got a hit. 1080 was a whole other ballgame. Calculator was off significantly from real world and the accuracy just wasn't there. I believe it was because the rounds were going transonic just past 900 yards and causing the issues I was having. Still a great trip! Going to bring out the 6.5CM next time.

Reactions: stello1001
I hope some of you Tikka gurus can help point me in the right direction. I'm kicking around the idea of a Tikka in .223 rem, but getting lost on which model rifle to purchase for a build.

- goal is shooting for groups from bench/prone to 300 yards normally, with possible 750 yards 1-2 times per year
- .223 rem
- 1/7 or 1/8 twist (currently have 69gr, 75gr, 77gr ammo in inventory)
- threaded 1/2-28 or 5/8-24 for a suppressor ( I have suppressors for either thread )
- would like to use in a KRG Bravo stock/chassis with the $40 MDT AICS pattern mags
- not overly concerned about barrel length, I'm currently using a Noveske 18" SPR for precision work, so maybe a 20"

Kinda seems like I should be looking at the CTR or a Varmint model? Tikka's website is a struggle for me to try and navigate. And I kept finding 18x1 threaded barrels?

Appreciate any insight. Again, just kicking an idea around. I shoot my aforementioned Noveske well, sub-moa with good ammo and when I "do my part", but I'm getting the bolt action bug really bad lately.

Last edited:
If you're going to put it in a chassis and use AICS mags then getting a CTR is pointless because you'll be replacing those parts which make a CTR different to any standard tikka.
The Varmint will have a heavier barrel than a CTR. The standard varmint doesn't have a muzzle thread but can be ordered with either a metric or imperial thread. Or it's a relatively cheap and easy job to get a gunsmith to do for you.
You could probably buy a Varmint and pay a smith to thread the muzzle (and shorten if you like) and still be under the cost of a CTR.

Does anyone know if a krg midas 2 stage trigger will fit into a tikka ctr without any modifications

tikkas.jpg

Got my T1X into a bravo at last, and swapped the stock with an X-Ray stock so I can have matching ergos across all my rifles.

I modded the W3 to take the CTR mags and it's feeding so much smoother than with the AICS mags.

Bottom rifle is a CTR that I'll be switching out for a trainer rifle in 6.5 Timberwolf (Norma Dasher necked up to 6.5) once it's back from the Smith.

fullsemiauto556

I just pondered this myself and I got the Varmint model. I won't worry about muzzle threading, but you could fix that easily.
Sure sounds like a Varmint is the way to go then. I read most of the thread on here the other day about removing the barrel being a PITA, so that has me a little concerned. I could probably handle it, if not, I'm sure the gunsmith I'd use for the barrel threading could.

Appreciate the info from everyone.

I believe they got their molds figured out for Tikka DBM now since the (+0.100) note on the inlet drop-down is gone. Gonna be sweet

interesting.

I can confirm that there is .1" of bottom metal showing below the stock on mine. This is just on the trigger guard side of the metal, the front of the metal closest to the muzzle end is flush.

I have one of the first phoenix made for the CTR

I am going to grab a Varmint in 223. Which magazine option has the most space for COAL? I want to put the gun in a Bravo but Im not sure on the magazine options for this setup. Is there another chassis that takes a mag with longer COAL than what is available for the Bravo?

Thanks Frankr, it is a 223 and barrel is 22". Rifle was an old T3 lite

11739684-1842-4DC7-9FD0-6D82D99B742C.jpeg
FA76C425-E2E7-49A1-95F7-7CA6C4E40BBF.jpeg

Haven’t been behind a bolt gun since last November. Nice to see the 260 is still driving tacks. LHT 3-15x50 zeroed up in 5rds. The 3-15x44 that was on it is going to end up on my 300 when it gets home from LRI.

Last edited:
I hope some of you Tikka gurus can help point me in the right direction. I'm kicking around the idea of a Tikka in .223 rem, but getting lost on which model rifle to purchase for a build.

- goal is shooting for groups from bench/prone to 300 yards normally, with possible 750 yards 1-2 times per year
- .223 rem
- 1/7 or 1/8 twist (currently have 69gr, 75gr, 77gr ammo in inventory)
- threaded 1/2-28 or 5/8-24 for a suppressor ( I have suppressors for either thread )
- would like to use in a KRG Bravo stock/chassis with the $40 MDT AICS pattern mags
- not overly concerned about barrel length, I'm currently using a Noveske 18" SPR for precision work, so maybe a 20"

Kinda seems like I should be looking at the CTR or a Varmint model? Tikka's website is a struggle for me to try and navigate. And I kept finding 18x1 threaded barrels?

Appreciate any insight. Again, just kicking an idea around. I shoot my aforementioned Noveske well, sub-moa with good ammo and when I "do my part", but I'm getting the bolt action bug really bad lately.
If you're going to put it in a chassis and use AICS mags then getting a CTR is pointless because you'll be replacing those parts which make a CTR different to any standard tikka.
The Varmint will have a heavier barrel than a CTR. The standard varmint doesn't have a muzzle thread but can be ordered with either a metric or imperial thread. Or it's a relatively cheap and easy job to get a gunsmith to do for you.
You could probably buy a Varmint and pay a smith to thread the muzzle (and shorten if you like) and still be under the cost of a CTR.
Follow up question, is the T3X Lite Compact a decent option to start with for what I mentioned before? Not seeing much availability anywhere right now, except for the Lite and Lite Compact, so that's why I ask. Or should I just wait for something with a heavier barrel? I'd be shooting 5-shot groups at a time, no competition/matches or anything like that. Don't want barrel heat to ruin a group after 3 shots. And I don't know how thick the barrel is on these.

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXE312C-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Lite-Compact-223-Rem-SYN-200--barr.aspx

I waited six months to find a Tikka Varmint .223 with a heavy barrel. I searched just about every day. Finally, Eurooptic got a few in. It was well worth the wait. Darn thing shoots real nice!!

• Wow
Reactions: fullsemiauto556
I believe they got their molds figured out for Tikka DBM now since the (+0.100) note on the inlet drop-down is gone. Gonna be sweet
The Phoenix stocks are pretty good. I had the chance to shoot to 1K yards a couple weeks ago. The package performed, shot very well. I didnt do any bedding. I did remove paint off the top of the bedding pillars because it was messing with torquing the action screw

List of complaints on the phoenix
Paint on the bedding pillars
Magazine is extremely tight to seat
The but pads, while soft and squishy, aren't very durable, I tore the original on a Saturday. Props to grayboe though, I had a new one on the following Wednesday.

Overall, its a very good stock IMO for what it offers and at the price point it comes in at

Attachments

• 20210511_190244.jpg
    20210511_190244.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 183
Follow up question, is the T3X Lite Compact a decent option to start with for what I mentioned before? Not seeing much availability anywhere right now, except for the Lite and Lite Compact, so that's why I ask. Or should I just wait for something with a heavier barrel? I'd be shooting 5-shot groups at a time, no competition/matches or anything like that. Don't want barrel heat to ruin a group after 3 shots. And I don't know how thick the barrel is on these.

https://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXE312C-Tikka-Tikka-T3x-Lite-Compact-223-Rem-SYN-200--barr.aspx
I found my Varmint on gunbroker. No .223 ones on there today, but I have seen a few in the past couple of weeks. I had been watching Tikka availability (online) for a while and there have been a lot more rifles available lately. Keep your eye out on gunbroker, gun.deals and Euro Optic and do a search for JRTXH312. The new super varmint looks good too, whenever that comes out?

Reactions: fullsemiauto556
Does anyone have a tk varmint.223 in a KRG bravo how does it feed with .223 acis mags? Or should I go with the CTR and get the KRG Bravo CTR?

Does anyone have a tk varmint.223 in a KRG bravo how does it feed with .223 acis mags? Or should I go with the CTR and get the KRG Bravo CTR?
My wife’s fed very well in a bravo with 75gr ELD and MDT AICS mags. It’s in an MPA chassis now still feeding fine.

Reactions: K80/6.5
I have an old school T3 ( Non X Model ) .223 in a Bravo that I have been using MDT Polymer mags.
So far, feeds like a champ with the OEM Barrel and the X-Caliber barrel that's on the action now.

My T3X in 6.5 creedmoor
Carbon6 barrel
Manners stock, with their fancy bottom metal

How do you like the carbon six barrel?

I’m about half way through my PVA barrel and looking at either a carbon six or proof prefit as a replacement.

How do you like the carbon six barrel?

I’m about half way through my PVA barrel and looking at either a carbon six or proof prefit as a replacement.

Not enough time with it to determine - I'll let you know when I have a change to do some load development with it.

Yeah I'm interested also in the Carbon 6. I have one on order, but not sure if its going to make the cut by hunting season with any time to break in and load develop.

I have one in a Bravo with acis accurate mag and have never had an issue feeding. 55 fmj to 75 eldm no problems

I have one in a Bravo and use the MDT polymer mags with zero issues.

FWIW - I'm trying to get a Super Varmint in .308 in a KRG X-Ray and will use the MDT mags also.

Last edited: