• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time pieces/Watches?

Can some of you guys who really are into watches tell me the best way to buy a used Rolex?
I’ve bought from David several times, he can get you anything you want but be prepared to pay a premium… If you're not in a hurry, go to your local AD and get on their list for the next available GMT.

I traded a 1911 for one. Then I bought one from a fellow 1911 guy. What are you looking for?
So step one, find a guy with a 1911...
Got it.
🤪

Last edited:
I’ve bought from David several times, he can get you anything you want but be prepared to pay a premium… If you're not in a hurry, go to your local AD and get on their list for the next available GMT.

I'm not in s hurry, I want the best price I can get. What's the best way to do that?

I'm not in s hurry, I want the best price I can get. What's the best way to do that?
If you have a Rolex authorized dealer near you, go in there & tell them what you want. You may get lucky and they’ll whip one out the safe but 99% chance they’ll put you on their list for the watch and you’ll just have to wait.

I don't have one I'm set on but I like the GMT and that style just don't want anything too big and with too much bling.

i am not in the market for a used Rolex but i like seeing them. i have an acquaintance that i get jewelry for my wife from. Independent jeweler, does nice custom work. i mentioned to the daughter when i was there as i was looking at the new rolexs that i was getting interested in vintage watches. she told me they had some vintage rolexs in the safe in the back if i wanted to see them. i declined becuase all i could think of was watches in the back are going to be 30 grand.

anyway, that a long way of saying find a local high end jewelry shop thats been in business for decades and call and ask them. i dont think the chain stores would but i guess you never know.

also there is crown&caliber.com and also chrono24.com. happy hunting

Gotta be honest here Rolex has set their market accordingly….. if you go through an authorized dealer and score a watch you will be paying retail and tax.

If you go through secondary market you will be paying at least that or more unless you get totally lucky 🍀

So there is no really “ good price “ which is a good thing for us Rolex owners because they aren’t whoring out their brand and all should be thankful for that

Check out timepiece gentleman. Lots of fakes and altered watches out there you could loose your ass if you dont know what your looking for. Buy from a reputable reseller.

Check out timepiece gentleman. Lots of fakes and altered watches out there you could loose your ass if you dont know what your looking for. Buy from a reputable reseller.
That's what I'm worried about. If buying from an authorized dealer is the way to go, then that's what I will do. I'm just trying to see if that is in fact how i need to go about it or if there is any better way to buy one, but I damn sure don't want to get ripped off. I've seen some really good higher end fakes that would definitely fool me so I don't want to get into all that to try and save a grand. It appears they hold their value well (which is honestly my main reason for wanting one. I'm happy with my Tag's and Citizens for work honestly. I'd like to have a Rolex that will hold value though as a part of my overall plan moving forward.

That's what I'm worried about. If buying from an authorized dealer is the way to go, then that's what I will do. I'm just trying to see if that is in fact how i need to go about it or if there is any better way to buy one, but I damn sure don't want to get ripped off. I've seen some really good higher end fakes that would definitely fool me so I don't want to get into all that to try and save a grand. It appears they hold their value well (which is honestly my main reason for wanting one. I'm happy with my Tag's and Citizens for work honestly. I'd like to have a Rolex that will hold value though as a part of my overall plan moving forward.
Then avoid timepiece gentlemen like the plague.

While demand is coming down, getting the specific watch you want from an AD is going to be hard, especially since most want you to have an established relationship and want to to buy all the other bullshit they sell for the chance to buy a desirable rolex.

Just buy what you really want. Now is not a great time, the market is just coming down from unprecedented all time highs. Something like an Omega Speedmaster, Planet Ocean or moonwatch under 5-10K is a much better value and will not have the crazy value fluctuation of rolex.

These are 5-6k used.

While demand is coming down, getting the specific watch you want from an AD is going to be hard, especially since most want you to have an established relationship and want to to buy all the other bullshit they sell for the chance to buy a desirable rolex.

Just buy what you really want. Now is not a great time, the market is just coming down from unprecedented all time highs. Something like an Omega Speedmaster, Planet Ocean or moonwatch under 5-10K is a much better value and will not have the crazy value fluctuation of rolex.

These are 5-6k used.

Yeah but they aren't a Rolex. I don't have to have it now, I can wait. I would just like to get a good deal is all. I can wait and have cash so whatever I need to do for me to get best buy is what I want to do, but I want a Rolex not something else.

Reactions: Bakwa
Three words : if ya like some fine used stuff and new at times stuff

THE WATCH BOX

Is it a legit place ? How do you know you are getting the real thing and it doesn't have dings and all?

Vintage is where it’s at, much more character. Grab yourself a birth year Sub or GMT…
I don't want a 40 year old one though. I want one that will hold its value and that I like

I like this and it's not insane money.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230320_131826_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_131826_Chrome.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 67
I don't want a 40 year old one though. I want one that will hold its value and that I like
I can understand that, check out Rolex Forum it’s a bunch of guys into watches like we’re into firearms 🤣. Find the for sale area & there will be a list of trusted sellers at the top, the chase is half the fun man.

I can understand that, check out Rolex Forum it’s a bunch of guys into watches like we’re into firearms 🤣. Find the for sale area & there will be a list of trusted sellers at the top, the chase is half the fun man.
Ha ha. I hear ya. I'm going to call a guy on here qho pmed me to get some general info for myself but, is it just that the "newer it is the more it's worth"? How big of a deal is it to have the box and papers? I kind of want to have box and papers

Ha ha. I hear ya. I'm going to call a guy on here qho pmed me to get some general info for myself but, is it just that the "newer it is the more it's worth"? How big of a deal is it to have the box and papers? I kind of want to have box and papers

Collectable and rarity are factors, just like with guns. Newer doesn't mean it's worth more

Two identical watches same age & condition, the one that has box and papers will fetch more $ on the open market.
How much more? I'm ignorant so, to me it just looks like there's a really big difference in price for newer ones and a big difference in having box and papers or not?

What's the advantage or disadvantages to the watch being newer or older? The watch looks pretty much the same and has the same specs but one is 7k and one is 17k(newer)

If you have a Rolex authorized dealer near you, go in there & tell them what you want. You may get lucky and they’ll whip one out the safe but 99% chance they’ll put you on their list for the watch and you’ll just have to wait.
I'll be going through the Duty Free in Heathrow in a few days... It will be tempting to go for a duty free SS Sub at the Airport store. They always have them in Duty Free...

One never knows!!

Oh and Chrono24.com is also an excellent site with global listings and an escrow service. I've bought several really nice pieces through them. Beware the global listings... not that I've had a bad experience, but a cut-rate Chopard or IWC from Uzbekistan does seem sort of concerning. Or use the escrow service.

Not affiliated, just a fan.

Cheers,

Sirhr

How much more? I'm ignorant so, to me it just looks like there's a really big difference in price for newer ones and a big difference in having box and papers or not?

What's the advantage or disadvantages to the watch being newer or older? The watch looks pretty much the same and has the same specs but one is 7k and one is 17k(newer)
Collectors want box, papers, hang tag, etc…. Heck I’ve seen some guys keep the plastic that you peel off the back of the watch & bracelet when it’s new. 5 years ago you could walk into an AD and there would be a case full of them that you could negotiate 10-15% off barely trying, now the case is empty and you’re paying full price and potentially waiting years depending on model.

Anything still in production is worth pennies on the dollar as soon as you step out of the shop. Watch retailers often have second-hand offerings as well as people do trade in watches when buying new , you can easily see on those, that very few models actually hold value .

Not mine, would love to have it though.

Attachments

• 3139D71B-27BB-4BD6-8A19-02124901AB55.jpeg
    3139D71B-27BB-4BD6-8A19-02124901AB55.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Seadweller23
Collectors want box, papers, hang tag, etc…. Heck I’ve seen some guys keep the plastic that you peel off the back of the watch & bracelet when it’s new. 5 years ago you could walk into an AD and there would be a case full of them that you could negotiate 10-15% off barely trying, now the case is empty and you’re paying full price and potentially waiting years depending on model.
Believe it or not, the AD is probably the cheapest place to buy a Rolex and be sure of what you're buying. Used Rolex market is hot now. When you go to some of the larger on-line dealers and look at certain new Rolex watches, you will find that they are grossly inflated over MSRP. I've seen stainless Daytonas running for 50% premiums. People want instant gratification and are willing to pay for it. An AD can't sell for above retail. However, you will have to wait a while depending on the model

Reactions: FWoo45 and Dendro
Nothing new by Rolex really excites me, however a vintage Sub or Seadweller with aluminum bezel exudes cool IMO.
How about the double red Sea Dweller? Those used things are fucking pricey

Reactions: Dendro
Anything still in production is worth pennies on the dollar as soon as you step out of the shop. Watch retailers often have second-hand offerings as well as people do trade in watches when buying new , you can easily see on those, that very few models actually hold value .

Ok thats one of my questions. I thought so but seems there's a lot more to it with the different opinions on that

Mom gave this to my dad on their wedding day in 1977, he gave it to me a few years ago. The original oyster bracelet is so stretched I don’t trust it not to bust while I’m in the woods working so put it on this nato. It’s my daily driver & I’ll give it to my son one day.

Attachments

• 666ACF74-A194-43A3-8741-801A18D8EDC9.jpeg
    666ACF74-A194-43A3-8741-801A18D8EDC9.jpeg
    475.8 KB · Views: 57
Can some of you guys who really are into watches tell me the best way to buy a used Rolex?

Like anything expensive, buy the seller not the watch. Way too many scams out there.

There are a lot of good grey market dealers, but the grey and used market can be just as much or even more than MSRP.

Go to your local AD and talk to them.

For grey/used. DavidSW is reputable. I’ve bought from him several times. Takuya is also solid.

Lots of people use JomaShop but I have never.

I can vouch for this guy he gets some really nice vintage Rolex’s etc.

Like anything expensive, buy the seller not the watch. Way too many scams out there.

There are a lot of good grey market dealers, but the grey and used market can be just as much or even more than MSRP.

Go to your local AD and talk to them.

For grey/used. DavidSW is reputable. I’ve bought from him several times. Takuya is also solid.

Lots of people use JomaShop but I have never.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. I just feel like I'm getting ripped off when I do that because my dad's buddy owned a jewelry store for decades and I'm used to getting stuff at cost. He's not a Rolex dealer though

Window shop on Chrono24 to find models and specs you like and gauge the prices. The Rolex Forum (TRF) for education. As a novice buyer, DavidSW is a very safe place to get a quality piece with minimal risk. There are others but the less knowledge you have, the more risk you take. I would steer clear of ebay. On the top of the marketplace forum on TRF are several sellers that the community trusts (DSW is on there) for good reason. Bob's Watches is pretty good as well (and they have a good return policy) and there are others. Watchcharts has a pretty good read on current values and trends but it's not 100%.

Know that the odds of you scoring an under valued two-tone GMT in mint condition are nil. Those days are gone. That story about favorite grandson who found the Rolex in "just passed" grandpa's sock drawer and doesn't know what its' worth...well, he probably has a mint AI-AW to sell as well.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. I just feel like I'm getting ripped off when I do that because my dad's buddy owned a jewelry store for decades and I'm used to getting stuff at cost. He's not a Rolex dealer though

Normal jewelry especially diamonds do have huge mark up. But if you pay MSRP in today's market for a brand new Rolex from and AD, you're doing fine. That wasn't the case 10-15 years ago, it was normal to get a discount under MSRP from the luxury dealers, but the watch market exploded and that's just not the current model.

Normal jewelry especially diamonds do have huge mark up. But if you pay MSRP in today's market for a brand new Rolex from and AD, you're doing fine. That wasn't the case 10-15 years ago, it was normal to get a discount under MSRP from the luxury dealers, but the watch market exploded and that's just not the current model.

Or you know just wait and see if we have a nice big depression and all the high flying free money types find they have less money to spend and prices creep back down.