• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Time pieces/Watches?

This is true too
Or wait for the wheels to come off like in 2008… when I bought some very nice watches for peanuts.

First Time I ever saw a pawn shop weigh my money instead of count it was when I bought a nice Daytona for $6k. Should have bought the sub sitting next to it. Oops.

Sirhr

Or wait for the wheels to come off like in 2008… when I bought some very nice watches for peanuts.

First Time I ever saw a pawn shop weigh my money instead of count it was when I bought a nice Daytona for $6k. Should have bought the sub sitting next to it. Oops.

Sirhr

Thats why I'm trying to learn about them now

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
With Rolex cutting production and trying to be an elusive brand even if the economy crashed I don’t see them going less than their current retail this time around. The best you’ll see most likely is Daytonas and GMT etc that have demanded more than retail over the years sell at retail now I bet ya

Reactions: Dendro
With Rolex cutting production and trying to be an elusive brand even if the economy crashed I don’t see them going less than their current retail this time around. The best you’ll see most likely is Daytonas and GMT etc that have demanded more than retail over the years sell at retail now I bet ya
You watch a crash and used watches will sell at .40 cents on the dollar. Again. Like they have time after time.

That's the time to buy!

Cheers,

Sirhr

The great thing about watches is there are some killer examples that won’t break the bank, grab yourself something timeless & cool until the Rolex you want pops up at a decent price.

Attachments

• 486CF257-1965-4879-B4E5-1D4E8A1B9522.jpeg
    486CF257-1965-4879-B4E5-1D4E8A1B9522.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 94
The great thing about watches is there are some killer examples that won’t break the bank, grab yourself something timeless & cool until the Rolex you want pops up at a decent price.
Seiko's are 'the' thing to collect (and wear!) right now. Some amazing Seiko's out there with cool stories and pedigrees... and features.

Can't go wrong with the older Seiko's.

Sirhr

I hear ya, and I don't really disagree, but when a crash happens people sell rolexes to pay for other things. They pawn them mostly, then don't end up going back for them sometimes. Then they hit the market and drop the price. It may not happen or happen with the one I want, but I'm also not in a rush to go out and buy a watch so, I can wait for a better deal. I just want to gain some basic knowledge on them, identify what I want, and then when I find a good buy (not necessarily a steal), I can get it, whenever that may be.

I'm glad rolex keeps their product line limited, that's why they sell for so much used and when I buy one it will keep its value or more of its value anyway.

Last edited:
I hear ya, and I don't really disagree, but when a crash happens people sell rolexes to pay for other things. They pawn them mostly, then don't end up going back for them sometimes. Then they hit the market and drop the price. It may not happen or happen with the one I want, but I'm also not in a rush to go out and buy a watch so, I can wait for a better deal. I just want to gain some basic knowledge on them, identify what I want, and then when I find a good buy (not necessarily a steal), I can get it, whenever that may be.

I'm glad rolex keeps their product line limited, that's why they sell for so much used and when I buy one it will keep its value or more of its value anyway.

They def have their system down pat and are smart about it

Which Sangin is that?

I'm a plankowner (one of the first 300 watches.) MarinePMI and I both have Atlas's. Love the left Set on that.

Sirhr
Very cool! I’m also a plankowner and pictured is the original model: titanium Kinetic (#146). I don’t think I’ll ever sell it.

Here it is with a Merlin.

Attachments

• 44041CBF-8D9C-48CF-9155-B1499F6E8C32.jpeg
    44041CBF-8D9C-48CF-9155-B1499F6E8C32.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 68
I’m a poor by Hide standards, so what’s the verdict on Orient or Seiko? Specifically these… https://www.orientwatchusa.com/collections/sport/ra-ak0403n10a

Are they durable? They definitely will take some hits at work or on the farm, hunting etc. and I’ll want them to keep running of course. Good scratch resistance would be nice too. A watch is just a tool for me so name/prestige doesn’t matter, just want a solid timekeeper that looks decent and preferably isn’t the size of a wall clock.

Prices haven't gone down in years

New SS Daytonas are averaging $26K against a $14K MSRP.

Most Rolexes will continue to sell at 50-70% above MSRP to the "I got to have it now crowd."

And bear in mind that Rolex is a low end collectible compared to PP and Audemars and a few others. Different crowd buys those. People that buy these things buy in cash and aren't overly affected by the economic woes of most

Reactions: FWoo45 and tacops1
I’m a poor by Hide standards, so what’s the verdict on Orient or Seiko? Specifically these… https://www.orientwatchusa.com/collections/sport/ra-ak0403n10a

Are they durable? They definitely will take some hits at work or on the farm, hunting etc. and I’ll want them to keep running of course. Good scratch resistance would be nice too. A watch is just a tool for me so name/prestige doesn’t matter, just want a solid timekeeper that looks decent and preferably isn’t the size of a wall clock.
I’ve had an Orient Bambino in my Amazon cart for a few months. I decided I need to grow up and buy myself a decent dress watch, but can’t commit to the purchase. My Apple Watch and G-Shock are just no good with a dress shirt/tie, let alone a full suit. Unfortunately, the rarity which I wear a dress shirt or suit makes it tough convince myself to buy a nice (by my standards, not Hide money standards) watch.

I could spend that $250 on ammo and probably be happier with my purchase. 😂

Reactions: Waco Kid
Very true… but both Rolex and Audemars (in particular) is in a bubble right now. They used to depreciate the day you bought them… then “some” iconic models like the subs and Daytonas held close to MSRP or climbed ‘some.” And some went to stratospheres.

The last 10 years or so have been good to Rolex and owners. I think the AP thing has been spawned by rap stars and Pawn Stars, where Rick is an AP fan and has massively promoted the brand. Paneri has also been in a bubble for several years. Now is not the time to buy one!

Meanwhile, amazing pieces like Chopard, IWC and a lot of YLC and even bottom-end Pateks languish. Definitely time to buy those! Well above Rolex and in AP territory. Another one that is an opportunity is Lange. Very small production. Beautiful. And right now, selling for 1/2 to 1/4 their retail a few years ago.

My “watch to buy cheap” list right now is older Seikos (really only one more on my list — a Pogue.}. Lange. A 1990’s vintage IWC. Chopard Mille Miglia. 1960’s Doxa Shark Hunter. JLC reverso. An SS Cartier Tank. A couple of other obscure things.

All suffering in the Rolex Bubble! And the AP bubble, which I think is great, because they don’t appeal to me… so let those who want them enjoy them. I’m not playing!

So there are great opportunities out there… and I’ll mention Resco because the jury is out on whether they will ever hit the “iconic” brand. They are very niche… almost a cult following. Some models have done really well, but only among a small group. I have them because Ia love the company and the owner/collector/enthusiast community. And they are hard wearing. But not “investments" at this point.

A lot of the others are investments I can enjoy every day. Little bits of precision that are more fun than T-bills or SVB shares. And Bernie Madoff can’t steal them.

So folks should buy what you like. In a bubble if you want to run with the trendy great! Go for it. But as with any collectible or item of intrinsic worth… there are always dips and booms. Treat buying an investment grade watch like any investment. Buy low, hope to sell high. But at least when you buy low… you almost never lose. And can enjoy a piece of mechanical art on your wrist.

But also, buy and wear what “you” like. If one chases every bubble, you can end up with stuff you (and soon everyone else) doesn’t like when the bubble bursts and it is passé to wear one. If you buy what you like and think is your style and idea of great looking… you never lose. Because of the enjoyment you get. And screw the trends. I don't wear my Rolexes much these days because they are 'trendy.' That's the last thing I want. When the bubble bursts I'll buy more and wear them again.

A fine watch will always be a fine watch. No matter what the “market” may tell you. So you can’t go wrong buying what you wan and love! Buy RIGHT and it will be a fine watch that makes you more $$ than your 401K!

Sirhr

Prices haven’t gone down in. Years

New SS Daytonas are averaging $26K against a $14K MSRP.

Most Rolexes will continue to sell at 50-70% above MSRP to the "I got to have it now crowd."

And bear in mind that Rolex is a low end collectible compared to PP and Audemars and a few others. Different crowd buys those. People that buy these things buy in cash and aren't overly affected by the economic woes of most

Last edited:
PS. For those who like the idea of a Daytona and don't want to pay the stupid bubble prices...

An Ebel "Crockett" is the exact same movement. Similar stylong. Iconic sort of '80's look and the El Primero movement. You can buy a NICE Crockett Ebel for about $4k. I just bought one 18 months ago for $3000... needing a service which was about $900.

The Ebel's have taken a tumble in the last few years. And are amazing watches. So those aspiring to a Daytona... something to think about!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. Who thought Crockett wore a Daytona? Bet it's almost everyone! (And I think he did in a few episodes.) But his signature watch is an Ebel. And, yes, I loved Miami Vice and am not afraid to admit it! And no, I never owned pastel Armani Suits in the '80's... but did like my Banana Republic pants! I think I need to go binge watch some MV right now...

Reactions: D_TROS and FWoo45
Shoot I have a brand new unworn resco one off white dial I’ll be relisting from a non paying buyer on another platform. Its prob the best bang out there for the buck but by no means is it an investment piece

The only ones from Resco that have really shot up are some very, very rare special limited editions. First Gen divers... Red Circles... Krakens, RC-TAC's and 25 Freddie's.

The rest are a bargain to buy, a lifetime watch and super nice to wear! Fun group of folks wear them!!! Wearing mine now as we head off on another adventure in a few hours.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The only ones from Resco that have really shot up are some very, very rare special limited editions. First Gen divers... Red Circles... Krakens, RC-TAC's and 25 Freddie's.

The rest are a bargain to buy, a lifetime watch and super nice to wear! Fun group of folks wear them!!! Wearing mine now as we head off on another adventure in a few hours.

Cheers,

Sirhr
Yeah for sure that’s why I had a custom one done

PS. For those who like the idea of a Daytona and don't want to pay the stupid bubble prices...

An Ebel "Crockett" is the exact same movement. Similar stylong. Iconic sort of '80's look and the El Primero movement. You can buy a NICE Crockett Ebel for about $4k. I just bought one 18 months ago for $3000... needing a service which was about $900.

The Ebel's have taken a tumble in the last few years. And are amazing watches. So those aspiring to a Daytona... something to think about!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. Who thought Crockett wore a Daytona? Bet it's almost everyone! (And I think he did in a few episodes.) But his signature watch is an Ebel. And, yes, I loved Miami Vice and am not afraid to admit it! And no, I never owned pastel Armani Suits in the '80's... but did like my Banana Republic pants! I think I need to go binge watch some MV right now...
Daytonas since 2000 use a calibre 4130 movement that is completely designed and built by Rolex.

The movement you're describing is the Ref. 16520 movement when Rolex initially partnered with Zenith to produce the 1st automatic chronograph Daytona in 1969

Anything still in production is worth pennies on the dollar as soon as you step out of the shop. Watch retailers often have second-hand offerings as well as people do trade in watches when buying new , you can easily see on those, that very few models actually hold value .
Tell us you have no fucking idea what you are talking about some more.

When people can't make car mortgage and credit card payments, Rolex prices like most things will drop. It's coming, just wait.

When people can't make car mortgage and credit card payments, Rolex prices like most things will drop. It's coming, just wait.
It's a global supply and demand problem. There are also many who use watches as a means for hard asset diversification, so the worse that economies get - the higher the demand.

@Waco Kid

That watch has been my daily for the last two years. It has been more durable than expected. The strap that it comes with is garbage though and it gains roughly a minute a week. It is kinda thick so not ideal if you wear a jacket often.

Attachments

• 20230322_090558.jpg
    20230322_090558.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230322_090643.jpg
    20230322_090643.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Very true… but both Rolex and Audemars (in particular) is in a bubble right now. They used to depreciate the day you bought them… then “some” iconic models like the subs and Daytonas held close to MSRP or climbed ‘some.” And some went to stratospheres.

The last 10 years or so have been good to Rolex and owners. I think the AP thing has been spawned by rap stars and Pawn Stars, where Rick is an AP fan and has massively promoted the brand. Paneri has also been in a bubble for several years. Now is not the time to buy one!

Meanwhile, amazing pieces like Chopard, IWC and a lot of YLC and even bottom-end Pateks languish. Definitely time to buy those! Well above Rolex and in AP territory. Another one that is an opportunity is Lange. Very small production. Beautiful. And right now, selling for 1/2 to 1/4 their retail a few years ago.

My “watch to buy cheap” list right now is older Seikos (really only one more on my list — a Pogue.}. Lange. A 1990’s vintage IWC. Chopard Mille Miglia. 1960’s Doxa Shark Hunter. JLC reverso. An SS Cartier Tank. A couple of other obscure things.

All suffering in the Rolex Bubble! And the AP bubble, which I think is great, because they don’t appeal to me… so let those who want them enjoy them. I’m not playing!

So there are great opportunities out there… and I’ll mention Resco because the jury is out on whether they will ever hit the “iconic” brand. They are very niche… almost a cult following. Some models have done really well, but only among a small group. I have them because Ia love the company and the owner/collector/enthusiast community. And they are hard wearing. But not “investments" at this point.

A lot of the others are investments I can enjoy every day. Little bits of precision that are more fun than T-bills or SVB shares. And Bernie Madoff can’t steal them.

So folks should buy what you like. In a bubble if you want to run with the trendy great! Go for it. But as with any collectible or item of intrinsic worth… there are always dips and booms. Treat buying an investment grade watch like any investment. Buy low, hope to sell high. But at least when you buy low… you almost never lose. And can enjoy a piece of mechanical art on your wrist.

But also, buy and wear what “you” like. If one chases every bubble, you can end up with stuff you (and soon everyone else) doesn’t like when the bubble bursts and it is passé to wear one. If you buy what you like and think is your style and idea of great looking… you never lose. Because of the enjoyment you get. And screw the trends. I don't wear my Rolexes much these days because they are 'trendy.' That's the last thing I want. When the bubble bursts I'll buy more and wear them again.

A fine watch will always be a fine watch. No matter what the “market” may tell you. So you can’t go wrong buying what you wan and love! Buy RIGHT and it will be a fine watch that makes you more $$ than your 401K!

Sirhr

Agree with almost all of this except I don’t think Panerai is really inflated. Most of the PAMs I see are relatively cheap (but bulky) for what you’re getting.

Agree with almost all of this except I don’t think Panerai is really inflated. Most of the PAMs I see are relatively cheap (but bulky) for what you’re getting.
Panerai is a walk out the door lose money watch, the rest aren’t.

Panerai is a walk out the door lose money watch, the rest aren’t.
Sorry, I should’ve clarified that I was referring to buying second hand. I only work on the secondary market. No ADs in BF kalifornia.

No they Are Not Swiss. plus/minus 5 Second a day Regulated movements ... but Yes .. for fact the NH35 Auto. Seiko movements are hardcore longevity, affordable and if ( setup/regulate ) properly will also keep good accurate time .
5 out of 8 of my watches are Seiko NH35 movement watches and, on a couple of them, I will only touch the Crown about once a Month to adjust time, and their always only off by ' less' than 2 minutes a month. The worst NH35 I have and runs about 1.5 minute + a week time .

THIS--> I shit you not . The Cheapest beater watch I own. I have a 100-$ Invicta Dive that carries a NH35A movement . It sits in a movement cradle for constantly 24-7 run, I might wear it a couple days every couple months, and put back on the cradle .
That dogfood low-end poors beater . I get more Giggles enjoyment walking by couple times a week and checking the time on that thing because it is constantly only off 'maybe' .. 1 minute a month.
My Seiko 5 is a fun watch to wear, but it gains about 5 min per day. I know it does, so I adjust it when I put it on before going out. My Casio Gshock atomic adjusts itself, so I wear it if I bead a beater that keeps time.

If anyone is looking for a new unworn one off resco pm me it’s back up you will be super happy with this one hell of a time piece

JLC fly under the radar & can still be bought under retail, they have a pedigree that blows Rolex out the water. I had one and sold it, dumbest move I’ve made in awhile. I put them up there with AP, PP, & Vacheron. There’s something about wearing a watch that only you know how special it is & most people wouldn’t give it a second look.

Sorry, I should’ve clarified that I was referring to buying second hand. I only work on the secondary market. No ADs in BF kalifornia.
Not seeing growth in value across used Panerai models. Maybe specific models like Submersibles? It’s a brand you lose your money on when you sell it was my main point whereas a fairly common Rolex DateJust has appreciated.

Not seeing growth in value across used Panerai models. Maybe specific models like Submersibles? It’s a brand you lose your money on when you sell it was my main point whereas a fairly common Rolex DateJust has appreciated.

Yeah def a losing value brand but I love a nice Panerai

I bought two Bremonts a month or so ago on speculation. Stupidly started wearing one often enough that now I'm second guessing the flip. I was a fan of their MB series (who isn't impressed by watch commemorating a rocket powered chair ride?) and the brand has taken some heat for some dumb moves but these are some sexy chunks of metal.
Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 21-15-45 (WEBP Image 1920 × 1415 pixels) — Scaled (43%).png

I don't know where you get your information from on Rolex. I was an A.D. for 15 years, there is no bubble. Rolex felt that their brand was being watered down, by AD's discounting their product. They were in 2% of Jewelers worldwide. Since 2009 they have been down sizing until they are only in about 1% world wide. They locked down their dealers on discounting and made themselves more limited, thus increasing their Brand Value. This is the new Rolex and this is the way that a lot of the Swiss manufactures are going. Also the increase in price in gold and other precious metals, will cause the price to increase as well.

I bought two Bremonts a month or so ago on speculation. Stupidly started wearing one often enough that now I'm second guessing the flip. I was a fan of their MB series (who isn't impressed by watch commemorating a rocket powered chair ride?) and the brand has taken some heat for some dumb moves but these are some sexy chunks of metal.
View attachment 8103253
I bought a Bremont Hawking when they came out. Sexy watch! Interesting company.

Wish I had bought a Codebreaker when they came out, but didn’t know about them.

Some of their limited editions are really cool.

Beautiful moon phase there!!!

Sirhr

Reactions: 34SF
I wish Rolex would do the new explorer with a red GMT hand already
That's the other one I really like but not quite dressy enough for my purposes for this next one I would like to get. The explore is a really good looking watch though

I’ve bought from David several times, he can get you anything you want but be prepared to pay a premium… If you're not in a hurry, go to your local AD and get on their list for the next available GMT.
DavidSW is a great resource but yes you pay a premium for them and that’s why I would never use him. I am too parsimonious.

To the original poster looking for a Rolex. The DJ would be nice and I have a DJ41 and a Submariner ND. Neither are blingy but I would stay away from the YM unless you want the newer one. The old one is very blingy. I have a friend that has one and he eventually sold it for that very reason.

For buying, I would look at the Rolex Forum or Chrono24 for used watches.