• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tips, tricks, cheats & hacks - Let's hear 'em

BeteNoire

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2009
I didn't see a dedicated thread for this, but I thought they should all be centralized.

I was looking for the tip about setup up your tripod for a standing, kneeling, etc. shot. I watched a video a while back where someone had a field expedient method for estimating an initial leg length for standing vs kneeling, etc. The only thing I remember was something about holding the tripod at some specific level adjacent to your sternum, but I cannot remember the exact method.

Would like to see a thread with all these little tips listed in one area.

Thanks!!

Short Version: Practice.

Long Version: Find a comfortable & repeatable position that allows for accurate, precise shots and follow-through. Then put your tripod at the height that allows your gun to be on top of it. Fine-tune with Short Version.
You can mark your legs, but with enough Short Version you won't need to anymore.

Since this is in Competition I'll say this with regard to centerfire and rimfire rifle matches.

-Don't forget your bolt(friend did that)
-Bring the right magazines.
-Don't hurry up when your missing.
-Make sure your zero on the kestrel is in the correct setting. Yards or meters.
-move positions quickly, pull your trigger slowly.
-bring a damn sling. I hate carrying a rifle with out one. If you have to move and you will, you want your hands free for your sandbag, bag and cooler.
-practice loading from your 2 round sap holder in a hurry.
-put the tripod In a position you can work up or down on in. Try not to move the tripod, move your body and rifle when you shoot off a baracade or cattle gate and use the tripod as a rear support. It's very stable when you are familiar with it.
-practice shooting non dominant side often. Not just prone. It will come up at match.
-practice 5 distance, 180° field of fire, staggered troop lines. They are a bitch when your not well practiced.
-water proof your rifle cleaning kit/tools that you should have with you. Small pelican/kuiu bag is best. Mine wasn't and had to spend an hour taking the rust off everything. Shot a match in the rain. I didn't know it got wet and sat in the bag for days...
-bring snacks.

Not everything. Off the top of my head. If you search I could have sworn there was at least one thread on this subject.

Since this is in Competition I'll say this with regard to centerfire and rimfire rifle matches.

-bring a damn sling. I hate carrying a rifle with out one. If you have to move and you will, you want your hands free for your sandbag, bag and cooler.
-put the tripod In a position you can work up or down on in. Try not to move the tripod, move your body and rifle when you shoot off a baracade or cattle gate and use the tripod as a rear support. It's very stable when you are familiar with it.
-practice shooting non dominant side often. Not just prone. It will come up at match.
-practice 5 distance, 180° field of fire, staggered troop lines. They are a bitch when your not well practiced.
-water proof your rifle cleaning kit/tools that you should have with you. Small pelican/kuiu bag is best. Mine wasn't and had to spend an hour taking the rust off everything. Shot a match in the rain. I didn't know it got wet and sat in the bag for days...
-bring snacks.

Not everything. Off the top of my head. If you search I could have sworn there was at least one thread on this subject.
Awesome list, thanks!! My fix it sticks kit is just in nylon pouch. A simple sil stuff sac cover should keep it waterproof.

Reactions: camocorvette
What is everyone’s favorite method/layout for DOPE cards?

Pulll the data off kestrel or phone. Write it on paper cards that get stuck in a dope card holder attached to my scope. I have velcro'd cards to use washable marker or tape and permanent marker if it's wet out.

Post it note “extreme”. Waterproof and extra sticky. Fine tip magic marker. Generally speaking, write the targets down the side in order they will be shot. Next column is elevation, then two or more columns for winds. Low and high average, for example Stick to dope card holder. No inserting, no erasing, no batteries.

Reactions: Rog2069
The best thing I could suggest for shooting off of a tripod is to actually go to the range with your tripod and PRACTICE with it on a paper target at 100 yards. Practice at different heights - Standing, kneeling (one knee and two, because there is a difference, at least that's what I found), seated, and for the crazies out there, even high prone. Test different body positions and shoulder pressures to find what gets you the best results. Try clipping in versus using a bag on top of the tripod. Try lowering the front leg a few inches and see what that does. If your range has benches, throw your bag on the bench as a front rest and use your tripod for rear support to figure out how to best do that. Do the Kraft Drill with all the different positions above. I was getting some practice in shooting an F-Class match at 1K and used my tripod standing and clipped in for one of the strings - they all thought I was crazy but I learned a bunch doing that.

The best thing I could suggest for shooting off of a tripod is to actually go to the range with your tripod and PRACTICE with it on a paper target at 100 yards. Practice at different heights - Standing, kneeling (one knee and two, because there is a difference, at least that's what I found), seated, and for the crazies out there, even high prone. Test different body positions and shoulder pressures to find what gets you the best results. Try clipping in versus using a bag on top of the tripod. Try lowering the front leg a few inches and see what that does. If your range has benches, throw your bag on the bench as a front rest and use your tripod for rear support to figure out how to best do that. Do the Kraft Drill with all the different positions above. I was getting some practice in shooting an F-Class match at 1K and used my tripod standing and clipped in for one of the strings - they all thought I was crazy but I learned a bunch doing that.
Along those lines, I discovered this past weekend that the height you set the tripod at for a super comfortable standing position may not work for all targets. I discovered that the comfortable height for target at or above horizontal did not allow me to depress the muzzle enough for a down angle shot. I ended up on my tip toes.

Along those lines, I discovered this past weekend that the height you set the tripod at for a super comfortable standing position may not work for all targets. I discovered that the comfortable height for target at or above horizontal did not allow me to depress the muzzle enough for a down angle shot. I ended up on my tip toes.
Valid point. Have done that myself. That kind of thing you can figure out at the house - what height do you need to set the tripod at so you can engage those targets that are below the horizontal or radically above the horizontal and have good fundamentals with the rifle. How much do you need to adjust the tripod to hit a target at 15 to 30 degrees? How about 45 degrees? Those scenarios can happen in field matches with hilly terrain and an MD who wants to test how well you know your tripod.

Regarding my previous request for DOPE card suggestions…I am currently using a printout from Excel spreadsheet with my DOPE arranged in 10m increments from 200m to currently 1190m. Data is from Applied Ballistics CDM and my updated velocities. Card has my gun/ammo‘s ”wind number”. Match workflow is to run the card in a forearm playbook and use a grease pencil to circle one of the 10m increments for each target and a put target number next to it.

Seems to be pretty efficient, but I haven’t asked a lot of people what they like to do.

What is everyone else doing that they like or dislike?

Regarding my previous request for DOPE card suggestions…I am currently using a printout from Excel spreadsheet with my DOPE arranged in 10m increments from 200m to currently 1190m. Data is from Applied Ballistics CDM and my updated velocities. Card has my gun/ammo‘s ”wind number”. Match workflow is to run the card in a forearm playbook and use a grease pencil to circle one of the 10m increments for each target and a put target number next to it.

Seems to be pretty efficient, but I haven’t asked a lot of people what they like to do.

What is everyone else doing that they like or dislike?
I lase every target. My LRF is connected to my Kestrel and pulls the real-time drop data and displays it in the LRF. I use dry-erase marker on the top page of my Sunrise Tactical arm board and include drop, avg and high wind values for every target.

-bring snacks.

Yeah I did that. Forgot my bolt. Left it sitting on my bench. My gunsmith was at the match and lent me one of his.

Reactions: todd
Things that might give you slight edge:
1. Bring electrolytes to drink. I see a lot of people sucking down water at matches with no electrolytes. Electrolytes literally make your whole body work better, specifically your brain in regard to matches. Lack of electrolytes (sodium, magnesium, potassium) can cause lethargy, headaches, and confusion. Drinking too much water without electrolytes can cause overhydration.
2. Take some ibuprofen if it is not detrimental to pre-existing health conditions. Ibuprofen will reduce inflammation and relax muscles. It will help you move better and get into positions easier. Understand there are risks to taking it, like a bad effect on your stomach, so don't make it a habit. Disclaimer: not a doctor or remotely involved in the medical field, but it works.
3. Exercise. Go for a walk every day. Lift weights; they don't have to be heavy. Stretch. Fire up your central nervous system before you start shooting.

Last edited:

-bring snacks.

If your match needs a shooter to be a general spotter for shot-calling, be the spotter before it's your turn to shoot. This will give you a few pieces of valuable intel:
  • You'll become familiar with the layout of the targets, and the general path from one to the next
  • You'll see if there are common misses or mistakes, such as hard-to-judge wind
  • You'll become familiar with the time and pacing of the course before you get behind the gun

If your match needs a shooter to be a general spotter for shot-calling, be the spotter before it's your turn to shoot. This will give you a few pieces of valuable intel:
  • You'll become familiar with the layout of the targets, and the general path from one to the next
  • You'll see if there are common misses or mistakes, such as hard-to-judge wind
  • You'll become familiar with the time and pacing of the course before you get behind the gun
Great advice if you can get away with it. Just seeing someone else run a stage is gold.

Reactions: nikonNUT
+1 on the electrolites. Liquid IV or Drip Drops are my go to.
Allergy meds. I swear golden rod is the Texas state flower. Not sure what Oklahomas is but it kills my sinuses as well.
If you're old like me a maintainence dose of Aleve or the NSAID of your choice before the match isn't a bad idea! :LOL:
Bug Spray and Sun Block
A hat.

Make sure your kestrel has the right gun profile for the day...lol.
I have seen more than a few guys be so frustrated by their misses only to find out that they're using the wrong gun profile....
Tripod practice is huge. It will help you become comfortable. When you get proficient, use your phone as a timer and run through a mock stage...
Relax and have fun, if you can shoot with guys that are really good do it. It will help in the long run.
After I get done with a stage I try to reload my mag so I can be ready to go and watch the 1st guys shooting at the next stage....listen to their calls for wind.

Reactions: todd
I cannot agree more with the above regarding practice. A match is not a place to "practice" - a match is The Test of what you have practiced previously as you apply what you have learned to solve the problem presented to you.

I see so many people that start shooting faster when they start missing. Can't tell you how many time I have told people after a stage to slow down and shoot in a controlled manner. Especially true with pistol on 3gun or 2 gun matches.

Does anyone have a pic of any of the top PRS folks DOPE cards? I just listened to a Morgun King podcast where they said that they will have up to 4-5 different wind brackets listed on their cards. I can't imagine how tiny that would be and would like to see how that looks if someone has done something similar in a match.

Be sure to get at least a 7 port brake with all sorts of holes and shit drilled in it. Something that sounds like the Sun exploding every time you touch the trigger. I think MDT sells one called the PTSD that works great.

Sorry for the derail had to vent. Yeah, I get they tame recoil and muzzle flip. I just can't fuckin stand em.

Here is useful one for me...Be helpful during the match. Help pick up brass and help other shooters identify targets. Help one person per stage, then move on if applicable. Thank the RO's. Don't be a dick and spend 10 minutes arguing because you "swear you saw it hit the edge of the plate". Bring extra batteries or a written dope card in case your solver of choice takes a shit.

Does anyone have a pic of any of the top PRS folks DOPE cards? I just listened to a Morgun King podcast where they said that they will have up to 4-5 different wind brackets listed on their cards. I can't imagine how tiny that would be and would like to see how that looks if someone has done something similar in a match.

Here's a shot of Morgun King's data card...

Morgun_datacard.JPG

Reactions: todd and Balor
Everything leftys do is ass-about and wrong. His system wont work.

Fight me.

My best piece of advice is to slather yourself ALL up in sunscreen and shoot butt nekkid. Everyone else will be so distracted by your looks and charm they won't be able to make good hits and all you have to do is not get your charm snake pinched in the props while your shooting. Huge advantage!! 🍑🍒🍌🏆

Reactions: iceng
+1 on the electrolites. Liquid IV or Drip Drops are my go to.
Allergy meds. I swear golden rod is the Texas state flower. Not sure what Oklahomas is but it kills my sinuses as well.
If you're old like me a maintainence dose of Aleve or the NSAID of your choice before the match isn't a bad idea! :LOL:
Bug Spray and Sun Block
A hat.
Plus 1!
Most matches I’ll take photos to help promote our monthly MARS matches, and don’t shoot my best (mid pack) but still have a great time. This weekend was a scorcher, temps 15 degrees warmer than predicted and humidity bouncing between 70% and 100%. I was miserable, drinking bottles of water like they were going out of style, shooting well but dropping stages cause the hits were out of order or timing out cause I was confused on the course (even though I had it in my head before the beep!)
Finished low but happy, had a great time an got over 3 hundred pics, then…
On the long drive home I had to stop at the grocery, made it 20ft from the truck and both legs cramped up to the point I musta looked ridiculous! Staggering like the monster from Frankenstein, I made my way through my purchases (including a multi-vitamin), an back to the vehicle without being chased by a mob with torches.
All that up an down, slow controlled movements for the pics/vid clips, the heat, lack of stretching and exercise, the absence of electrolytes, etc had taken their toll. I was washed out.
Not looking for a repeat!

Reactions: nikonNUT
Tips and tricks

Practice the prs barricade bc you know you will see it basically every match, and it helps you work on positional shooting anyway
Practice tripod rear, fuck what the rest of the guys in your squad say it works well in some circumstances

Learn troop lines - they will bite you in the ass if you aren’t mentally prepared for em. They look easy but many times will expose an overconfident shooter

Use a spotter with a reticle - size every target so you know how much of a MINIMUM wind adjustment you should make. If you shoot at a target and miss 0.2 off the side bc of wind, a 0.2 adjustment is not what you should be making to try n impact next

Be aware of your weaknesses and build on them. That’s the only way to get better!