• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Too much powder

chrisboc

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
DFW Texas
I made a mistake during loading yesterday. I was attempting to load 43.3 grains into a 308 casing for a 165 grain bullet. I checked my loads all the way through and was getting constant dead center readings on my scale. After I had completed 50 rounds I looked at the scale closer and noticed that I had set it to 44.3 on accident and not realized this extra grain. Please don't give me too much crap I just need to know if I need to pull the bullets or just shoot them. The max load per the Hornady manual is 43.3. Is the extra 1 too much?

Re: Too much powder

Depends on your rifle and lots of other factors.

Load some at 43.3, 43.6, 43.9, 43.2 Like 2 each. Shoot them, watch for flat/blown primers and heavy bolt lift. If no pressure signs then shoot the 50 loaded ones, you're probably ok. Shoot them on a cool day too, that'll help
smile.gif

What powder?

Chris,
I have a couple concerns.
1) In reading your post, I get the idea that you did not work up to the max load at all. If you had you would know the answer to your question.
2) You did not list the powder until ask. That is a second careless mistake. Get focused.
Reloading is not hard, but not for everyone.
Good luck to you if you choose to continue.

Understood, I will continue. Have loaded for a while just made a stupid mistake. But, they say you learn from them and this will be one I will not make again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chris,
I have a couple concerns.
1) In reading your post, I get the idea that you did not work up to the max load at all. If you had you would know the answer to your question.
2) You did not list the powder until ask. That is a second careless mistake. Get focused.
Reloading is not hard, but not for everyone.
Good luck to you if you choose to continue. </div></div>

Cut the guy some slack. We have all made some mistakes at one time or another and its super easy to do especially when using the balance type scales like the lee's.

and +1 to what Jason said.

I looked up in PO Ackley's book and he listed 42gr of 4895 with the 165 as tops so you're close. Some may shoot hotter loads in their guns but if you never tried any that hot then it would be something you can try again later with just a couple. Really for only 50 rounds I'd just disassemble them and reload them again. I use a cheap knocker and it don't take long. I stuff a couple cleaning patches down my tube so the bullet won't get distorted when it pops out. As you pop each one out just dump the powder in your throw, remeasure and reseat the bullet again. Won't take long and your loads will be what you intended and be useful for sighting in or load work and not loads to just shoot downrange to get them unloaded.

Just my thoughts on it.

Topstrap

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Topstrap</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked up in PO Ackley's book and he listed 42gr of 4895 with the 165 as tops so you're close. Some may shoot hotter loads in their guns but if you never tried any that hot then it would be something you can try again later with just a couple. Really for only 50 rounds I'd just disassemble them and reload them again. I use a cheap knocker and it don't take long. I stuff a couple cleaning patches down my tube so the bullet won't get distorted when it pops out. As you pop each one out just dump the powder in your throw, remeasure and reseat the bullet again. Won't take long and your loads will be what you intended and be useful for sighting in or load work and not loads to just shoot downrange to get them unloaded.

Just my thoughts on it.

Topstrap</div></div>

Very sound advice. You should heed!

I think you'll be OK, there are a few loads on the net going up to 46 grains with 168 SMK (accuratereloading.com). Of course I would check the first round fired very carefully for signs of pressure. You are better to toss them or pull them than get hurt.

As a side note rth1800, in his first point mentioned that if you had worked up to a max load you would have answered your own question, and that was a careless mistake.
I tend disagree with him. If you worked up a suitable load with safe pressure and your accepted velocity and accuracy. maxing out your loads is unnecessary, and fruitless. You don't need to know the upper limits of pressure as some rifles can be dangerously overloaded before showing sings of a problem.

Personally I would use a collet puller and pull them down.

In a sport where you can blow your head off with a careless move, why gamble?

Hodgdon lists 43.5 grains of H4895 under 165-168 (in .308 Win) as max. If you don't know that load has been safe in that rifle, you should pull them.

Collet puller is faster, quieter and safer.

TopStrap,

What's the print date of that Ackley book? 1938?
laugh.gif

bwanajcj,
I think you mis read what ment or said when I posted. The OP stated that what he loaded was the max load listed. My point was that if he had worked up to that load gradually, he would know if it was hot or not. I was not suggesting that he "go to the max".
I do think, by his post that he is on the right track and will do fine. I can say that what we say on here is not going to matter to the OP nearly so much as what he does or does not do. The laws of physics will not "cut him slack". Reloading ammunition requires a high degree of attention to detail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rth1800</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bwanajcj,
I think you mis read what ment or said when I posted. The OP stated that what he loaded was the max load listed. My point was that if he had worked up to that load gradually, he would know if it was hot or not. I was not suggesting that he "go to the max".
I do think, by his post that he is on the right track and will do fine. I can say that what we say on here is not going to matter to the OP nearly so much as what he does or does not do. The laws of physics will not "cut him slack". Reloading ammunition requires a high degree of attention to detail. </div></div>

I took no offense to your statement. It's all good. I appreciate all advice. None of us are perfect and can and do make mistakes. I'm just glad to have places like this where we can all come and ask the stupid brain fart type questions and get the help we need. Thanks again to everyone.

When I pulled these and refilled them I think I looked at the scale a thousand times just to make sure.
grin.gif

Get an electronic scale. You can find them for $40 and they will eliminate this.

Chris,
I am certain that you will not find anyone on here who has not made a mistake in the process. And to one degree or another we and our weapons survived. The more expirence we have, the more careful we get. I am sure you will have your eyes open now, and no harm done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get an electronic scale. You can find them for $40 and they will eliminate this. </div></div>

It will change...now you will get to deal with drift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chrisboc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think I looked at the scale a thousand times just to make sure.
grin.gif
</div></div>

Hey! that's exactly what I do, lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get an electronic scale. You can find them for $40 and they will eliminate this. </div></div>

It will change...now you will get to deal with drift. </div></div>

And if you use it under flourescent (strip) lights, the charges will vary erratically.

I went back to normal lights and my groups closed right up again!

N

I made a similar goof one day and overcharged a couple of cases but I didnt know about it till the first one went over the chronograph at which point I said "Holy Crap, That was fast!", Come to find out I goofed setting the scale. Ever since then I am FULLY aware of what I am doing at the loading bench. Thats a whole lot of destructive ruckus going on three inches from the end of your nose and you have only got one face to use till your dead. I made myself a sort of step by step list at the bench and I follow it.

Whenever a question like this gets asked around my bunch of shooting buddies somebody just reminded them that we are looking at somewheres near HOW MANY thousand PSI 4" in front of your face? or at the end of your hands?

When in doubt, pull them down it isn't worth any amount of damage,..

OP you now belong to the second group of reloaders... them that have overloaded you were lucky you caught it before you had to deal with possible broken guns or body parts...

Mine was a box of .45ACP and a Detonics Combat Master for a friend,..it was the last box I will ever load for someone else.. now if anyone wants reloads they can come over and use the press and WE load it after checking it all again. using 2 beam scales one set up by each of us....

What about the gun?? it had burn marks near the slide release and the pachmayrs were ruined along with the mag but his hand was ok after a few days no cuts but bruised him up a bit..

John