• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Too much tilt in base/mount?

scott9.3

Private
Minuteman
Apr 14, 2013
Vic, Australia
Guys, I have a S+B 5-25 which is currently sitting in a Spuhr 13mil/44moa 1-piece mount.

I'm just about to pick up a 338 Norma Magnum which is based on a Stiller and comes with a 6mil/20 MOA rail.

Is this total of 19mil/64moa tilt going to be too much for this set-up? Do I need to either swap the rail for a 0moa or swap the mount for a 20moa? If I used it with the existing set-up will I have problems getting a zero somewhere between 1-300metres?

Thanks for any help.

Yes. I tried to mount the same 5-25 on a 44 moa scope mount to an AI w 20 moa built in . . . It did not work as there is not enough travel to zero at 100m.

Swap out the 44 moa w a 20 or if possible swap the base out to 0 and you will be fine.

The Rule for tilt is simple.
Never more than half the elevation in tilt.
As a 5-25 have 26mils/93 moa the tilt should be no more than 13mils/45 moa.

Håkan

The Rule for tilt is simple.
Never more than half the elevation in tilt.
As a 5-25 have 26mils/93 moa the tilt should be no more than 13mils/45 moa.

Håkan

Agree that was exactly why i recommended changing your base with a flat one. That will then put your 1 piece mount at 13 mils. Which should give you a good chance at a 100y/m zero and the maximum remaining travel in your optic.

~Brett

Thanks very much guys. I'm swapping the mount for a 20moa/6mil. Combined with the base this will give me 12mil. Thanks again.

I have a question here.......I have a 40 MOA base on my R700 that I plan on swapping to .260 REM and I had a friend who shoots alot to distances I want to shoot to and he said to replace the 40 w/ a 20 MOA base as it is not useful. All of the scopes I plan on purchasing have at least 90-120 MOA of adjustment. Other than the issues with eye relieve with that much scope cant. Does anyone else refuse to put more than a 20 MOA base on a rifle, just seems like a waste of adjustment if your not using it? Pay good money for a scope with ~100 MOA of adjustment and to only be able to use 70 MOA just seems like a waste when you could use almost all of it. I know alot of guys now do alot of holds with the HORUS h-58 and all the cool TREMOR recitals but I still like to be able to dial it out if I want to and I would like to be able to be able to dial to a mile if not a little past if I have ability.

I just went through this. I had a 60moa base on a ELR rig in 300 Lapua. I LOVE the scope N.F. 8-32x56 BR. The scope has only 50moa built in which left me with around a 600yd zero. The best place to use your scope is in the middle of your elevation. I went with the adjustable ring set from Iveyshooting.com. High quality product that gives you up to 150moa. Perfect for the coarse adjustment with it's 1min clicks the fine tune with my 1/8min scope adj. .. All in the middle of my 50moa BR scope. Not for everybody with a $525. price but considering the alternative ATACR $2200+...... the $525. didn't look so bad. Now a 100yd zero till my 3100+ 230 berger is all out of gas.