• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Top notch hunting sling?

Btillr

Super Trooper
Minuteman
  • Mar 20, 2011
    Va
    Looking for a basic sling for hunting thats not littered with buckles, clips, etc. Ive got a few SAP slings for prs but just havent been happy with them on my hunting rigs. Ive found they catch on everything, and tend to dig in to me on longer hikes.

Id like to still run flush cups and regular 1.5 webbing. What have you used that you liked or worked well? Ive seen several that look decent but dont want to sacrifice on the quality.

For a pure hunting sling, I think these are the best

I like my TAB PRS sling. It adjust very quickly and easily. I tend to sling my rifle across my back when hiking in and out. Having it across my back makes for a much more enjoyable time. But...with a quick pull of the adjustment trap I can have the rifle mounted and shoot supported.

Another vote for Slogan. I've tried a bunch and like this one best. Doesn't hold water, stays on your shoulder if your carrying it that way and you can split the straps for backpack type carry to free both hands. If there's a draw back its slightly heavier than nylon webbing but for hunting its the best in my experience.

Reactions: 300NIMP
    A guy on the site from Montana made a great sling. He is a professional coyote hunter. Good guy. Friend of George at GAP.
    @psinclair was his handle. Pat Sinclair.

Last edited:

Reactions: carbonbased
    +1 for the Montana sling. I tried the Kifaru gunbearer, but after a few miles it was really banging on my hip. Like, leave me here, I’ll just die pain. Lashed the rifle to the pack and instant relief. Everyone is built different, but this was my experience. For more than just “here to over there” carry, put the gun in a pack.

Another vote for the Montana sling, put them on all my rifles and never looked back - really simple and work awesome (y)
    414476083.jpg

413998565.jpg

Reactions: carbonbased

i can't find the one i have (i have two of the same), but it's a mix of regular and suede leather, padded, stays on the shoulder pretty good. plus despite me having it for years, when i lost a 'chicago' screw they mailed me a couple no charge.

I have been on a bit of a sling hunt as of late. I'll echo what some have already said and also show some new things.

Here's what I own:
    1. Montana sling: dead simple, easy to adjust, no metal hardware banging into rifle making noise. A favorite of mine, and I prefer the sewn-in hardware version. However, if you have a longish barrel with a suppressor attached, cross body carry is a challenge as the rifle wants to "fall over." This is not unique to the Montana, and this problem is what spurred me into further sling research.

2. Ultimate Sling / Slogan: rubber, does not slip off shoulder, does not absorb water, really hard to adjust or to put different swivels on there (but after you get it where you want, it stays put…and buy the model with the swivels you want!). It transitions from one shoulder carry to two shoulders (semi-backpack) but I hear it doesn't work well with heavy guns (too much bounce), but it works fine with my regular hunting rifles. Word is two guys created the company, then split, hence the two companies selling essentially the same product. I bought an Ultimate. This chick shows how it the two shoulder thing works (Slogan version). She has quite white teeth and pronouces-every-word-carefully.

3. Tab Gear Biathlon: Pretty awesome for long distance carry. Real backpack style. Get the fastex plastic buckle version unless you like the extra weight of the high-speed/lo-drag cobra buckles, plan on pulling your truck out of the mud with your sling, and enjoy the potential for metal stuff smacking things / sucking the life out of your hands in the winter. I accidentally got the shooting sling version (called the regular), and haven't yet tried that feature out. Decent pics, but no good pics illustrating the different Biathlon models. Video

4. Not really a "sling" but I also just got a Vorn Deer backpack (ugly Realtree version was on sale at Eurooptic for $199, usually $379). Went on a one-day hunt with it and it seems to work really well.

In my research I also found some slings of note.

Below are set up for shoulder carry (muzzle up, some maybe muzzle down) and not cross-body:
    1. Z-aim, which is very popular in England (and totally out of stock everywhere due to COVID). Reports say it's not made the best, but it is affordable. Some don't like the fact that the stabilizing strap loops around the grip of the rifle.
      1609004367449.png1609004416432.png1609004483403.png

2. Practical Precision UK makes what looks like a high quality Z-aim clone that they're patenting (no idea on what basis). Same loop around the hand grip.
      1609004659726.png

3. Roetex UK, similar to the z-aim but instead of one simple stabilizing strap going from the chest to the rifle grip, the Roetex uses a Y strap going from each sling stud to the chest. Better video here, and why can't manufactures just take more damn pics of their product in use? Roetex likes to use dramatic music + drones OMG. Below are screen grabs illustrating what I'm talking about.
      1609003112106.png1609003975950.png

4. Gunslinger Corral belt thing. A little clip on your belt that can hold your rifle butt securely. They need bigger/better pics. Besides shoulder (side) carry with muzzle up, with their "Universal Backpack Attachment" they say that one can do front carry and also attach it to a pack. No lever actions, they note.
      1609004605259.png
      1609004565179.png
      1609004102178.png

The following are able to do cross-body carry:
    1. Vtac hunter: As opposed to their tactical slings (cross-body chest/front carry, muzzle down), it looks like they moved their length adjuster so one can do shoulder muzzle up carry.

Btw, I've never owned a tactical sling, can one not use a tac sling in a muzzle up hunting carry manner?

2. 3HGR light harness: A Finnish company. In wordplay only the Finns smile at, 3HGR = "Tree Hugger" because they make some contraption that attaches to a tree (not this).

This sling is like a reverse of the Z-aim. The "stock carry", if you will, of this sling is cross body. One can attach the stabilizing strap, which goes over the non-supporting shoulder OR under arm. Again, note the crappy pics on their site. I had to dig into their damn videos for these screenshots.
      1609005787357.png1609005963710.png

3. Finally, we have the Safari Sling by the coolly-named Redi-Mag. They may not have awesome pics, but at least they've figured out how to quickly illustrate how their product works (in an old-skool animated gif, no less!). I call this one the "guitar carry," and it's a sling I want to try next. Side note: they make some interesting patented sling swivels that the body copy suggests others (like GrovTec? I wonder) have used to model their swivels after. I haven't used those Redi-Mag swivels, but I like these Titan swivels that seem to be made by the German company Recknagel. Also, check out pg. 18 in Recknagel's #9 catalog (technically p.16, as listed by their page numbers) to see some very interesting variations on flush cups that I've never seen anywhere else (Tip: just download the catalog, as their little online viewer sucks, and better illustrations in this US distributor's pdf).

Back to slings:
      Redi-Mag says, "If you’re inclined to cover a lot of ground while hunting, remember that the Safari Sling works great with backpacks."
      large_14_SafariSling.gif

4. Forgot about the Safari-Tac Multi-Purpose, which I have no interest in.

I hope this may be of some hope to the weary internet traveller. It took some considerable time to write and research.

Last edited:
    My hunting rifles have either Montana slings or these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y27SPQJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Huge fan of the latter as they are quiet and light.

I lost a deer last weekend because of the noise the stiff leather Montana sling led to when moving the rifle into shooting position. My bad but... the paracord slings do not do that ever. I'm talking about the noise the stiff sling can cause at the mounts when it's moving around.

My hunting rifles have either Montana slings or these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y27SPQJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Huge fan of the latter as they are quiet and light.

I lost a deer last weekend because of the noise the stiff leather Montana sling led to when moving the rifle into shooting position. My bad but... the paracord slings do not do that ever. I'm talking about the noise the stiff sling can cause at the mounts when it's moving around.
    You could try these sling silencers: https://rifle-craft.com/collections/sling-accessories/products/swivel-silencers-set

1609175850717.png

Reactions: Rmdashrf