• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Torque wrench for base screws, rings...?

robertg

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
NJ
Well, i also just realized that I don't ahve a torque wrench that goes down to 20 in/lbs, lowest I have is 25 in/lbs. So, how critical is it that I use a torque wrench for the base. I obviously don't want to overtorque, but I don't want to undertorque it either, and what about the rings? Critical to torque to exact specs? Sorry about the dumb questions. Thanks.

Re: Torque wrench for base screws, rings...?

A lot of shooters like consistency in their torquing of fasteners when setting up a long range rig. I would venture that under-torquing isn't near the problem that over-torquing is (both are not desirable, but most guys crank too hard vs not enough).

Some manufacturers have specs on their clamp bolts and ring caps, that protect the scope and your warranty for both.

We have a selection of t-handle torque wrenches and torsion torque tools that eliminate the guesswork.

Scott

Torquing isn't that important, unless you're prone to shuffling different optics on and off....and wish to keep a zero. Sure over is bad and breaks shit, but if you're just mounting for good (or at least a few years)...blue loctite, finger tighten then 1/4 more of a turn with a wrench.

I shot well for a long time without a single torque wrench. That being said, they are real nice and handy to have....and I use them now. If it's not prohibitive to your budget get the t-handles that Scott is talking about.

I am actually going to get one of those Wheeler FAT Wrenches. Thanks guys.