• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trade Colt Commander for Vickers Master Class?

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    I have the opportunity to trade my 1973 Colt Combat Commander in brushed nickel for a brand new Springfield Vickers Master Class 1911. Looking for some advice. I think I would enjoy shooting the Springer more but is this a bad trade to make? I already have some other 1911s to shoot so it is not crucial to get a shooter. I hate the factory grip safety on the Colt but I could swap that out with a beaver tail so it doesn't bite me so bad. The Colt has had a flat mainspring, skeleton hammer, and night sights put on it by the previous owner.

Advice?
    Thanks.

I was never really impressed with the overall quality of the older series 70s colts. They are a novelty but compared to a current build 1911 they just aren't even close. I would trade it especially if you want a shooter.

Reactions: MK20
    Do an online search for the value...try Gunbroker. I think long term the 1973 Colt will retain its value better.

Personally Id keep the Colt.

Springfield Armory Vickers Tactical Master Class 1911​

Type: Recoil operated, semiautomatic
    Cartridge: .45 ACP
    Capacity: 8+1 rds.
    Barrel: 5 in., forged stainless steel
    Overall Length: 8.6 in.
    Height: 5.5 in.
    Weight: 2 lbs., 9.5 oz.
    Finish: Black-T, bonded (carbon steel)
    Sights: WC HD tritium/luminescent (front); WC Vickers Elite Battlesight, U-notch (rear)
    Trigger: 4 lbs.; medium, solid shoe
    MSRP: $1,495
    Manufacturer: Springfield Armory, springfield-armory.com
    ==========================================================

Colt Model 1911 Combat Commander (45 Auto, 1973, Nickel)​

FFL
    caalex A+(1460)
    Add Favorite Seller
    Seller's Other Items
    Used Condition
    FFL is required
    Ask Seller a Question
    Watch

Immediate Checkout - Credit Card
    3% Credit Card Fee

Quantity Available
    Quantity to Purchase

Unit Price
    $1,799.00
    Buy Now

OR
    $

I almost don’t even want to say what I was thinking when I first read this…
    I was thinking you’re trading the Colt for a MasterClass (online training course) by LV 🤣🤣🤣🤦‍♂️

If you look at it from an investment standpoint I don't think it is a good investment. The generation that loves these is in their later years and I just don't see guys in my generation, 44, paying a premium for them.

I have better investment guns than the colt. Not super worried about that, but I don't want to do too much stupid in one day.

I am also buying a FN commercial Mauser in 30-06 for $450, a Finnish M39 for 800, an Arsenal SAM7 for 1000, and am trying to pick up a Scar 17 too, so trade looks more appealing.

Money ain't gonna get any more valuable with us testing the duty cycle on the printing press, but I haven't seen guns do too badly.

What Maggot said. Never traded off a firearm that I didn’t regret later.

I saw Vickers and thought MG
    1636642866390.jpeg

This thread is a letdown

I'm a BIG 1911 fan. I've gone through my share, from a WWII Remington (that I sometimes wished I'd kept, but it wasn't an heirloom and had no sentimental value) to OEM Colts (including a nickeled 70s Commander) to SA, Kimbers, Baers, Browns, a multitude of Wilson Combats to Ted Yosts, Heirloom Precisions and finally settled on CT Brian as my grail gunsmith.

A LOT depends on what you want the one choice--nickeled Colt or S'field LV--to do for you. If this will function in any sense as a semi "collector", then the Colt is a start only because it's nickeled. Its' true collector value has already been ruined because the skeleton hammer et. al. have been installed. If it's to serve a dual function as an "operational" "collector", then changing the grip safety won't hurt it's loss in value. Probably the best thing you could do to increase it's accuracy is to have the trigger system 'smithed. But as is, I think only the older generation see much appeal in a nickeled Colt--younger guys look for contemporary lines/appearance and convenient functionality--and you can't customize the slide/frame without having the chrome stripped, so checkering etc is out (as a 'prohibitive' expense). So the Colt's only true appeal is that it's nickeled.

I'd trade it. I don't regret trading/selling any of the numerous guns (10-15) that I did--my goal was to 'move up' in quality. That's what I think the LV gun is from the Colt--a move up in quality.

Now, I have three CT Brians--a CCO, a Commander, and a full-size; the only other 1911s I have are sentimental. I may not have a lot of them like I did long ago, but these three are 1/2" shooters at 25yd (benched of course--and that's his guarantee with OEM ammo!) and make me look like I practice every day when I only shoot about once a month. None of the others, excepting a Wilson Combat SuperGrade I still have, can match that accuracy, and once you get beyond looks, accuracy should be what you're paying for.

All depends on how much you have invested into the Colt.... I just bought a 1975 combat commander for $725bux. It's worth a lot more on broker, but I picked it up for a steal. I'd trade mine for the Vickers in a heartbeat as I don't collect Colts anymore... or do I?
    Resized_20210312_165547.jpeg

Keep the Pony, skip the Springfield and get yourself a Dan Wesson.