• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Trajectory difference in short vs. long barrels

Scout140

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
I understand that you will receive a flatter trajectory from a longer barrel, but how much is the difference? Would there be an extremely significant change in a 20" to a 22" or maybe even 20" to 24"? If you know any material I can read on this please let me know.

Re: Trajectory difference in short vs. long barrels

i bought a FN .308 bolt gun with a 20 inch barrel and it does everything that the 24 inch will do (friend has the 24) for the distances i have taken it out to with the same accuracy. i have only shot about 500 yards since thats all the area i have to work with. but they did preform the same at those distances, when i bought the gun they were explaining that i dont need the extra 4 inches of barrel unless i planned to take it past 6-7 hundred yards

You need to know:

Bullet and MV
Atmosphere
Caliber
etc.

Most things, short of the really large mags will do just dandy at 20-22", even the 300WM.

I run a 22" 6.5CM and get over 2800fps from the 140 class bullets which is plenty flat and fast for easy/handy use at long ranges when compared to a 26" barrel going 80-100fps faster.

Thanks! 'Preciate the input.